2 And A 1/2 Hours Left Till MidNight....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: 2 And A 1/2 Hours Left Till MidNight....

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pitchers offered contracts for 2013:

Aceves: ERA: 5.36
    Miller: ERA: 3.35
    Breslow: ERA: 2.70

Pitchers NOT offered contracts for 2013:

Hill: ERA: 1.83
    Atchison: 1.58

Is it any wonder that this franchise is where it is today when the FO chooses to categorically pick poorer performers over better performers? Nice to see the "good old boy network" is alive and well.

[/QUOTE]

You realize Atch and Hill BOTH have major elbow issues, right? They BOTH spent most of the year on the DL because of it. That makes them the odd men out. I dont think they will get claimed, thus signing a ML deal with the Sox again...

[/QUOTE]

I realize that they had elbow issues last year. However, as far as I know, they are now healthy. I have read nothing to the contrary, so I think thats a reasonable assumption-unless someone here can show me some proof that they are still hurt. When they are healthy, they have performed well. On the other hand, Miller had an ERA of 4.71 after July 4 and Bard stunk all year. Why not keep the guys who have a recent history of pitching well and jettison the guys that are not, rather than the reverse? Again, assuming Atchison and Hill are healthy.

[/QUOTE]

It's probably more complicated than who had a few good innings.  Hill's recent history is non-existant for all practical purposes.  About 10 innings per year over 3 years.  You can't guarantee someone a spot who is almost never on the field.  Atch had 5.1 after 7/13.  Your definition of good health might differ than mine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both Hill & Atchison will be back with the Sox in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Should I save this as a guarantee somewhere? How do you know this. These two guys had ERAs below 2 last year. I think they will find a home somewhere else before they are signed to minor league contracts with us.

[/QUOTE]

How's this for a wager, if you feel so strongly that we should have offered them arb.

I will bet that they will receive less money in their next contract than they would've in arbitration.  I will make a charity bet of $1 per $100k in salary.  For every $100k over what MLBRumors says they'd have gotten, I owe your charity $1, and vice versa.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Should I save this as a guarantee somewhere? How do you know this. These two guys had ERAs below 2 last year. I think they will find a home somewhere else before they are signed to minor league contracts with us.

[/QUOTE]

How's this for a wager, if you feel so strongly that we should have offered them arb.

I will bet that they will receive less money in their next contract than they would've in arbitration.  I will make a charity bet of $1 per $100k in salary.  For every $100k over what MLBRumors says they'd have gotten, I owe your charity $1, and vice versa.

[/QUOTE]

I could care less if we sign these two or not. They'd be nice minor league deals, but I'd be happy with other similar pitchers as insurance policies as well.

My guess is that one will be back and probably both. I've been wrong before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could care less if we sign these two or not. They'd be nice minor league deals, but I'd be happy with other similar pitchers as insurance policies as well.

My guess is that one will be back and probably both. I've been wrong before.

[/QUOTE]

i understand what you are saying..we been doing it for the past 2 years with them i think...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I realize that they had elbow issues last year. However, as far as I know, they are now healthy. I have read nothing to the contrary, so I think thats a reasonable assumption-unless someone here can show me some proof that they are still hurt. When they are healthy, they have performed well. On the other hand, Miller had an ERA of 4.71 after July 4 and Bard stunk all year. Why not keep the guys who have a recent history of pitching well and jettison the guys that are not, rather than the reverse? Again, assuming Atchison and Hill are healthy.

[/QUOTE]

It's probably more complicated than who had a few good innings. Hill's recent history is non-existant for all practical purposes. About 10 innings per year over 3 years. You can't guarantee someone a spot who is almost never on the field. Atch had 5.1 after 7/13. Your definition of good health might differ than mine.

So just to understand you, you prefer to offer a contract to guys who performed more poorly last year that guys who did well. At least Hill and Atchison had a few good innings; Bard sucked all year, and after July 1, Miller sucked too. I prefer guys who played well to guys who sucked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you only like pitchers who did good for small sample sizes in the recent past, and dislike anyone who did poorly recently, then you mightend up getting surprised as moist pitchers go up and down quite often.

Sections
Shortcuts