2 concerns from last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: 2 concerns from last night

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to Eddymon's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Carp gas started 15 games this year batting in the 5th spot and has a .311 BA.

I posted this in another thread but I wouldn't mind Farrell using Bogey instead of Drew (which he should do anyways) but also bat him 5th given that he is a very selective hitter and could really be a spark in that lineup.

Drew has had some success vs Verlander

Maybe go w/ Boggy over Middlebrooks in G3 may spark something

Ells

Vic

Pedey

Ortiz

Nava (1B)

Carp

Drew

Ross????

Boggy

Why would you put the inexperienced Nava at first if you have Carp in the line-up?  At 1B, Carp >> Nava, in left, Nava >> Carp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

In response to Eddymon's comment:

Kind of wondering if Gomes could purchase himself a first baseman's mitt and work on that position in the off season?   He would seem like a nice fit there and get regular playing time.

I love how people think anyone can play first base in the major leagues.  It is a very difficult position.  Just ask Prince Fielder.  He should have knocked down Iglesias' throw and Salty's foul pop up.  Cost them the game.

This goes way back in here.  It's not as bad as it was 5 years ago, but there was a point where it was assumed anyone could play anywhere.  At one point, the suggestion was to play Pedey at SS, Youk at 2nd, and Papi at first.  I actually kind of liked that, simply because I figured we could give away one game just to see what that looked like.

And youk to LF was always popular.  I was at YS when he spun around twice and almost got hit in the head with the ball.  That killed most of the support, but you would still see some suggesting he could play LF, because, you know, anyone can play LF.

Why wouldn't we just play Nava at 1B and give Gomes more time in LF?

At least Nava has some experience there. We also have Carp and Papi (at NL parks).

Then, there is the "move Middy to 1B and Bogey to 3B" idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

1)  When Buck was struggling why didn't Farrell or the pitching coach come out to talk w/ him?  Why didn't Salty make ONE visit to the mound himself?

2) We have no one to bat 5th to protect Ortiz in the line up

On point one, agree on Nieves and one of my biggest issues with Salty (probably the biggest one) is he NEVER goes to the mound when a pitcher is struggling.  If nothing else, Salty needs to go out and just break the bad rythmn the pitcher is in.  The only time he goes out there is if they are having trouble on signs.

Saturday, Lester had a little trouble locating ad Ross popped right out there. 

And I really don't understand why Nieves never went out to the mound.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

1)  When Buck was struggling why didn't Farrell or the pitching coach come out to talk w/ him?  Why didn't Salty make ONE visit to the mound himself?

After Ortiz we have no one to bat 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th .....

Really?  Haven't watched much Sox ball this year huh?  

Really, Really, Really, Yes Really, Really........ Naps  Really..... Drew Really, Right handed Salty  Really . Big  Goffy Middlebrookes  Really......4TH Outfielder at best Nava... Really... Maybe your blind.. Really..........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

After Ortiz we have no one to bat 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th .....

Really?  Haven't watched much Sox ball this year huh?  

Really, Really, Really, Yes Really, Really........ Naps  Really..... Drew Really, Right handed Salty  Really . Big  Goffy Middlebrookes  Really......4TH Outfielder at best Nava... Really... Maybe your blind.. Really..........

Really?

Middlebrooks 2nd half:  .805 OPS.  After his re-call, he has been anything but goofy.  Well, ok, he is still goofy, but he is dangerous.

Nava?  4rth outfielder at best was the refrain before this season, yes, I remember that.  And then I remember how he spent the entire year obliterating that perception, hitting .300, .385 OBP, that is no fiourth outfielder number, .800+ OPS.

Alsty as a righty?  OK, fine.  Most of the time he is batting left, and he has become formidable to say the least.

Naps?  Strike out king, no doubt.  Red hot or ice cold.  A wild card, but the thing about a guy with a power stroke like that, you have to factor in the potential.  The notion that Leyland could walk Papi Sunday with the bases chucked because Napoli was an easy out, that is pretty funny.  No manager wants to do that and face Napoli with the bases juiced.  Yeah, very easily could go down swining.  Could also go wall.  

I mean, no, these guys arent murderers row, but, show me any club in the majors with a better bottom half of the lineup.  It just doesnt exist.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No manager wants to do that and face Napoli with the bases juiced.  Yeah, very easily could go down swining.  Could also go wall.  

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9825714/alcs-jim-leyland-detroit-tigers-claims-responsibility-david-ortiz-game-2-grand-slam

Napoli could very easily go down swinging, but he couldn't go "wall" very easily. In fact, he has zero confidence through entire 2013 playoffs. He needs a little luck to chance that, but that still doesn't make him big stage protection for Ortiz. 

OK, thats your take.  I get it.  You keep saying it.  But, I think differently.  He is not to even be mentioned in the same breath as protection such as Manny or Prince, but, plenty enough that Leyland isn't confortable giving Papi a free pass with the bases juiced.  Yeah, he said it was on him.  But, even if he "reminded Benoit not to let Papi beat us", that doesn't sound like intentional walk talk.  It sounds like "whatever you do, dont find the fat part of the plate".  Very different.  The thing about a hitter with a good power stroke (Mike Napoli) is, all it takes is one swing to change "the luck".  That is why he is good protection, regardless of how bad he ius going at any given time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

In fact, Leyland admitted his mistake of not giving Ortiz a free pass by "pitching to him carefully".

Well, as one would expect, we differ in our readings of what Leyland meant by "should have reminded Benoit not to let Papi beat us".

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Very very good observations! 

Sections
Shortcuts