2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list

ESPN's Keith Law ranked shortstop Xander Bogaerts 62nd and catcher Blake Swihart 100th on his annual list of Top 100 prospects:

http://soxanddawgs.com/redsox/minor-leagues/keith-law-2012-top-100-mlb-prospects.html

Catcher Ryan Lavarnway and thirdbaseman Will Middlebrooks just missed Law's Top 100 list.

ESPN Insider access is required for Law's complete write-up:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=7547690&_slug_=mlb-top-100-prospects-2012-mike-trout-bryce-harper-more&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%3fid%3d7547690%26_slug_%3dmlb-top-100-prospects-2012-mike-trout-bryce-harper-more

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list

I was a big Theo supporter, but the more I know the more I'm glad he went to the Cubs. What happened to his farm system becoming a machine. Yes I know he let some go in the Gonzalez deal, but over all it's another area where he missed the mark.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Since there are 30 MLB teams then the typical team on average would have 3.3 prospects on the top 100 list. So the Red Sox have two which puts them 1.3 below average and didn't they lose a few via trade last year and the year before that? I see no alarming significance to this list.

I saw another top 100 prospect list recently also, the lists are also somewhat subjective after all each pundit has his own set of variables and criteria that he puts into his black box and then turns the crank to see what comes out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

and on another list the sox had Middlebrooks, brentz, bogeartsin top 100 and lav and renaudo just over 100...these lists are all a matter of opinion...for a side note, i believe Rizzo was in most top 20...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Theo has had the ability to pick players that teams without the financial resources had to let slip by. The Sox can pay those players who fall outside the draft. Given the number of picks and the money the Sox have to spend IMO Theo started out strong, but has faltered in his latter years with the Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list:
    [QUOTE]   I was a big Theo supporter, but the more I know the more I'm glad he went to the Cubs. What happened to his farm system becoming a machine. Yes I know he let some go in the Gonzalez deal, but over all it's another area where he missed the mark.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

We lost Kelly and Rizzo in the Gonzalez deal, but we also lost Westmoreland to illness, and Tazawa to injury.  Kalish played just enough in 2010 to disqualify himself as a prospect.  Also, don't forget nobody knew who Bogaerts and Lavarnway were before the 2011 season - for all we know next year's best prospect has yet to surface.  But just look at our roster to see how successful Theo was with development - 3/5 of our rotation, our CF, 2B and 3B are all not only home-grown, but each has been selected to an all-star game.  By the end of the year, you might add SS and starting C to that list (home-grown, not all-star).  Do you know any other perennial contenders who can make this claim?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

On another thread Moonslav listed all of the Red Sox prospects that were traded away in recent years. Has anyone seen that and has it influence their opinion before becoming critical without facts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Since there are 30 MLB teams then the typical team on average would have 3.3 prospects on the top 100 list. So the Red Sox have two which puts them 1.3 below average and didn't they lose a few via trade last year and the year before that? I see no alarming significance to this list.   I saw another top 100 prospect list recently also, the lists are also somewhat subjective after all each pundit has his own set of variables and criteria that he puts into his black box and then turns the crank to see what comes out.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

Well that would also assume spot #2 is the same as spot #98.  I agree that different guys have different takes but you don't see any lists where the Red Sox are popping multiple guys in the top 50-60.

It is okay, we know they gave away talent, Rizzo and Kelly, to get Agone, so that somewhat depleted the system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]  Theo has had the ability to pick players that teams without the financial resources had to let slip by. The Sox can pay those players who fall outside the draft. Given the number of picks and the money the Sox have to spend IMO Theo started out strong, but has faltered in his latter years with the Sox.

Wow...clearly you haven't been paying attention. To follow this approach, you need draft picks...and Theo KNEW he was going to go a couple of years with a gap in terms of pick quantity. The organization also drafted younger players for a couple of years...all of which created an upper level gap.

That's why Theo acquired players such as Beltre, and then let them go...he planend on stocking draft picks. And you may not have realized this, but the Sox have had two tremendous drafts in a row, especially this past one.

Give it a year or two...by then, a few gems will have emerged from the large group of A/rookie league high upside prospects the Sox have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/#list=bos

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

just curious how many if any former Red Sox farm hands are on the list?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]   I was a big Theo supporter, but the more I know the more I'm glad he went to the Cubs. What happened to his farm system becoming a machine. Yes I know he let some go in the Gonzalez deal, but over all it's another area where he missed the mark.

We also traded prospects Theo drafted for:
    Andrew Bailey
    Sweeney
    Melancon
    Aviles
    Morales
    Bedard
    Salty
    VMart
    and many others

Plus, Theo has drafted 6 of the top 110. The odds show he should have about 3.67.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : We also traded prospects Theo drafted for: Andrew Bailey Sweeney Melancon Aviles Morales Bedard Salty VMart and many others
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Well except for Bailey, Sweeney and Melancon the "we" is actually Theo who traded prospects that Theo drafted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : Well except for Bailey, Sweeney and Melancon the "we" is actually Theo who traded prospects that Theo drafted.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

True, but the point I was making was that Theo did build a strong farm, but it has been used for more than just bringing up players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : True, but the point I was making was that Theo did build a strong farm, but it has been used for more than just bringing up players. 

There was lots of ML talent around 2006/2007 with Lester, Pedey, Ells, Paps, Clay but it the pipeline has dried up in recent years, with Bard being the only real contributor in the past couple years.

In hind sight, keeping Masterson would've been wise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

That is the problem with trading prospects...you are essentially rolling the dice when you get rid of a prospect.  Additionally some teams flat have better coaching talent than other teams and can improve prospects rather quickly.  Also teams like the Rays seem to have the talent to spot frontline pitching more so than other teams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Law's list is virtually meaningless, when it comes to who will end up in MLB staying power list.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : There was lots of ML talent around 2006/2007 with Lester, Pedey, Ells, Paps, Clay but it the pipeline has dried up in recent years, with Bard being the only real contributor in the past couple years. In hind sight, keeping Masterson would've been wise.

2009 has been the only bad draft year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : There was lots of ML talent around 2006/2007 with Lester, Pedey, Ells, Paps, Clay but it the pipeline has dried up in recent years, with Bard being the only real contributor in the past couple years. In hind sight, keeping Masterson would've been wise.

I think some of this can be explained by the fact that Theo began drafting more and more HS players. You have to expect them to take a bit longer to make an impact.
    2007: 6 of top 8 were HS students (Middlebrooks/Rizzo).
    2008: 4 of 7 (Kelly, Westmoreland)
    2009: 5 of 7 (Fuentes, Hazelbaker)
    2010: 4 of 8 (Coyle, Cecchini)
    2011: 8 of 11 (Swihart, Owens)

You mentioned Masterson. Well Masterson was a good pick and by trading him and Hagadone to get VMart, we then drafted Barnes and Owens with the picks we got when VMart walked.

Theo also drafted Craig Hansen who was part of a crucial trade.
    There were lesser but notable players like Lowrie, Bates, Richardson, Kalish.

One of his best recent picks might have been Westmoreland, but we'll probably never know.

Have patience. 
    We had 4 of the top 40 picks last year.
    In 2010, we had 3 of the top 39 and 4 of the top 57.
    That's 7 top 40 picks the past 2 years combined:
    Ranaudo
    Brentz
    Barnes
    Swihart
    Owens
    Bradley Jr
    Vitek

I have to believe some of these guys will turn out to be very good MLB players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

There was a recent study which had the Redsox as the top achievers in baseball over the past 10 years in terms of mlb WAR value. The #1 aciever in baseball over the past 10 years. Theo did just fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom (and others), assuming Iggy and Lava are still considered prospects next year, how many Sox players do you think will be rated in the top 100 next year?

I certainly think more than 2!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]boom (and others), assuming Iggy and Lava are still considered prospects next year, how many Sox players do you think will be rated in the top 100 next year? I certainly think more than 2!
    A year from now Ryan Lavarnway will be 25 years old. Keith Law's Top 100 prospect list this year has only one player (24-year-old Yonder Alonso) older than 23 years of age.

The lower-level Red Sox prospects have a better chance of moving up to the Top 100 list than Lavarnway does.

Jose Iglesias would need to reverse the direction of his stock after being on many Top 100 prospect lists a year ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

what really matters is what the Players do once they get to the big leagues.  I think the Sox do a pretty good job in that department....also if every team has an average of 3.3 players in the top 100 we could of had 4 if we didn't trade for Gonzalez.  Sooooooo....it's not like we had two guys that were a bust we got something for em. 

Also I've seen a lot of good analysts of minor league systems that seem to give high praise to a lot of the talent in the lower levels.  Keeping that in mind I'd really like to see where the Sox system is by the end of this year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

ESPN's Keith Law today named the top "sleeper" prospect for each organization, but I don't have access to Law's Insider column.

Does anyone know whom Law named as the sleeper prospect for the Red Sox?

Here is an interesting list of 20 top players who never made Baseball America's Top 100 prospect list:

http://angels.ocregister.com/2011/02/23/the-best-players-who-never-made-a-ba-top-100/73827/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN's Keith Law today named the top "sleeper" prospect for each organization, but I don't have access to Law's Insider column. Does anyone know whom Law named as the sleeper prospect for the Red Sox? Here is an interesting list of 20 top players who never made Baseball America 's Top 100 prospect list: http://angels.ocregister.com/2011/02/23/the-best-players-who-never-made-a-ba-top-100/73827/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Brandon Jacobs.