2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list

In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list:
    [QUOTE]Rizzo is the same age as Jesus Montero, and outslugged him by 200 points at the same level of competition last year.  You want Montero in your top 5 and Rizzo off the top 100?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Are you comparing Anthony Rizzo in the rarified air of Tucson in the Pacific Coast League to Jesus Montero at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre of the International League?

In 2010, Anthony Rizzo posted a .263/.334/.481/.815 line in 467 plate appearances at Double A Portland while Jesus Montero posted a .289/.353/.517/.870 line in 504 plare appearances at Triple A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Rizzo did put up extreme number last year in AAA, while Montero's AAA numbers were almost pedestrian. Rizzo was in the top 20 on some lists this winter. Not saying Rizzo is as good a prospect as Montero but when we factor in that he is good defensively it's pretty close at this point IMO. A big reason Rizzo was moved and replaced by Alonso is just that Petco is death for LH pull hitters. Ortiz would probably hit 15 to 18 HR in Petco and hit around .250 at best. Rizzo is still an excellent prospect. And there is a chance we end up with him in the Selig decision. I don't think we get Rizzo but I do think we will get substantial talent in that decision. It won't be 1 or 2 nobodies. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2 Red Sox prospects on Law's Top 100 list : Are you comparing Anthony Rizzo in the rarified air of Tucson in the Pacific Coast League to Jesus Montero at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre of the International League? In 2010, Anthony Rizzo posted a .263/.334/.481/.815 line in 467 plate appearances at Double A Portland while Jesus Montero posted a .289/.353/.517/.870 line in 504 plare appearances at Triple A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

A year is a life-time for a prospect.  Slugging may be inflated in the PCL, but not to the tune of 200 points.  Rizzo was second in the PCL in slugging and OPS, behind only 28-year-old Bryan LaHair.  Montero was 19 in SLG and 23 in OPS.  

I'm not suggesting Montero isn't a top 5 prospect, but I don't see an argument for Montero being in your top 5, but Rizzo out of your top 100.  The only thing you could suggest is that the positional adjustment is enormous, which I would buy, but that would mean you feel that Montero is a second-tier prospect if he doesn't stick at C.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I doubt Rizzo's name was on the echange list of players between the Cubs & Boston for Theo's comp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Selig is a pretty conservative guy, who should put a higher premium on executive talent than the earlier precedents have indicated. In this instance it was more than one members of an organization. The Cubs basically raided Sox executive talent, while they were under contract. I don't think they get Rizzo, as I mentioned, but it could approach that talent level or even surpass it. Kraft had to give up their #1 pick to get Belicheck in a similar sotuation. And that is one guy from an organization. We could be looking at that level of talent in compensation.

The Sox supposedly asked for Garza at first. What an important pick up that would be. The Cubs have shopped him. The Cubs would be better off moving him for prospects because they are going nowhere this year. If it were a very interactive process maybe a deal could get cut for Garza with some prospects thrown in but that is too much to ask for. My guess is possibly one of these guys:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

To be quite frank, the Cubs don't have a strong farm. They have a few guys like Rizzo and Jackson but the depth just doesn't appear to be there. Is Theo and another FO guy worth a top prospect. In my view, definitely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't call it "raiding" if they were given permission.  I hope I am surprised by the Selig choice, but I am not getting my hopes up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It hasn't happened much historically. Selig is not going to want to incentivize it happening again. He's an owner, managing the league for owners. He can say he is for all of baseball but the guys keeping him in his position are all owners. I'm hopefull we get a good return.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]It hasn't happened much historically. Selig is not going to want to incentivize it happening again. He's an owner, managing the league for owners. He can say he is for all of baseball but the guys keeping him in his position are all owners. I'm hopefull we get a good return.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps Bud Selig won't want to give an incentive to a team that voluntarily gives another team permission to speak with its general manager, then voluntarily releases the GM from his contract without first agreeing on compensation.

Selig is an "owner," managing the league for owners, including the owner of the Chicago Cubs and the owner of the Boston Red Sox.

At 5:32 am, the Globe's Nick Cafardo tweeted that "A Red Sox official indicated he expects comp decision on Theo Epstein 'very soon'":

https://twitter.com/#!/nickcafardo/status/170138454468988928

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m