20 days for Papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

20 days for Papi

Anyone catch the story on Papis contract in regard to 20 DAYS or less on the DL. Today is day 19 and there is several million dollars to gain/lose(depending on whos perspective) by not spending another day on the DL with foot/heel issues. I think it was like a 3-4 million dollar swing. Kind of interesting he is coming back tomorrow---day 20. Heard it on the radio today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: 20 days for Papi

it is what it is. if the doctors and trainers clear him to play then i don't see an issue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

Anyone catch the story on Papis contract in regard to 20 DAYS or less on the DL. Today is day 19 and there is several million dollars to gain/lose(depending on whos perspective) by not spending another day on the DL with foot/heel issues. I think it was like a 3-4 million dollar swing. Kind of interesting he is coming back tomorrow---day 20. Heard it on the radio today.

Go through the threads..it's been discussed...ad nauseum...lol

If he doesn't come off the DL ( I thought it was by Saturday) he forfeits 2 million in 2014.  There's something about him forfeiting money this year too..I heard that on the radio..but don't know the details.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

If he doesn't come off the DL ( I thought it was by Saturday) he forfeits 2 million in 2014.  There's something about him forfeiting money this year too..I heard that on the radio..but don't know the details.

gotcha...I hadnt heard anything about it until today. Out of sigh out of mind I guess!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I believe its actually $4M.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

What are the odds he'll go the rest of the year and not pick up another day on the DL? 

If he doesn't go back on the DL at some point, that would be great. If he does, then the money is saved. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Actually, there is a story here.  It's $4 million, and at least they thought of doing this when giving Papi this retirement package.

Don't get me wrong, if anybody has earned it, Papi would be the #1 guy.  Not a smart "business decision, but I guess it's not really my money.

My Papi admiration and love is beyond reproach!  LOVE THE GUY!

That being said, there is still a story here.  I'm not at all thrilled with the way he looks.  Sure, it's got to be tough for a big man to stay in shape with this injury, but he surely could have done a better job than he has.  Let's face it!  He looks BIG....  As in FAT!  It hurts me to say this, but the tapes don't lie.  He's WAY OUT OF SHAPE!  Shame on him for taking this "GOOD WILL" contract, then easing into the Lazy Boy Recliner.  I expect more from our leading man.  This could be a big year with this hodgepodge group, and Papi could be the key getting the offense clicking.  His weight makes full recovery from this injury much less likely!  How many days will the sox be forced to "REST" him, so as to avoid him ending up on the DL?  I hope to hell he proves me wrong, and the weight has absolutely zero effect, but that simply defies logic.  Whatever the case may be, after getting this "sweetheart deal," Papi owed us a little bit more?

It truly pains me to point this out about one of my all time favorite Red Sox players, so save the outrage.  If you don't like hearing the truth, save your breath and go back to your "reality tv" shows.  Don't blame the messenger!  Papi was in fantastic shape last spring, and he went on an epic tear!!  It makes a difference.  He could have done more to stay in shape.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

$2 mil. but he is coming back tomorrow - no story here.  Move on people.

It is a story. Could be a big story. Unless of course 4 million dollars is small money in your universe. If nothing else the dynamic moving forward will be interesting as it pertains to Papi and his foot vs the team and his foot. Think out of the box a bit tv-guy--its fun out here.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

gotcha...I hadnt heard anything about it until today. Out of sigh out of mind I guess!

Haha..I hear you :-) I didn't hear about it until the other day..also on the radio. I agree..out of sight..out of mind. I think the Ortiz subject is not really on most fans minds..he'll be back when he's back....but there are apparently some on this site who follow his every move. I am sure that like me..you don't have that kind of time and interest to invest in following someone's little every move while he is on rehab.

I am less interested in Ortiz' return with the team playing decently at the moment. I don't see his absence as an issue...at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Actually, there is a story here.  It's $4 million, and at least they thought of doing this when giving Papi this retirement package.

Don't get me wrong, if anybody has earned it, Papi would be the #1 guy.  Not a smart "business decision, but I guess it's not really my money.

My Papi admiration and love is beyond reproach!  LOVE THE GUY!

That being said, there is still a story here.  I'm not at all thrilled with the way he looks.  Sure, it's got to be tough for a big man to stay in shape with this injury, but he surely could have done a better job than he has.  Let's face it!  He looks BIG....  As in FAT!  It hurts me to say this, but the tapes don't lie.  He's WAY OUT OF SHAPE!  Shame on him for taking this "GOOD WILL" contract, then easing into the Lazy Boy Recliner.  I expect more from our leading man.  This could be a big year with this hodgepodge group, and Papi could be the key getting the offense clicking.  His weight makes full recovery from this injury much less likely!  How many days will the sox be forced to "REST" him, so as to avoid him ending up on the DL?  I hope to hell he proves me wrong, and the weight has absolutely zero effect, but that simply defies logic.  Whatever the case may be, after getting this "sweetheart deal," Papi owed us a little bit more?

It truly pains me to point this out about one of my all time favorite Red Sox players, so save the outrage.  If you don't like hearing the truth, save your breath and go back to your "reality tv" shows.  Don't blame the messenger!  Papi was in fantastic shape last spring, and he went on an epic tear!!  It makes a difference.  He could have done more to stay in shape.

I agree..they did a good job with this contract. In fact..now that what's his name is gone..they seem to be negotiating more thoughtful contracts for the most part..contracts with incentives built in..instead of just "free money" so to speak. I like that style of contract...a base amount with opportunity to earn more based on performance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Have said all along this particular injury would likely be an on again-off again chronic annoyance for him...whether he's playing ball or anything else.  Just the nature of it.  I love the guy and am pulling for him to return to Fenway.  Nobody wants to see him go through this at this point in his career - least of all Papi himself.  The most frustrating part about it, is after resting it, it does really feel "fine".  Then you resume your activity and get encouraged..but just a few days of doing whatever, there it is again and you have to rest it again.   For this reason, leaving him in Pawtucket is not particularly helpful.  Would rather see them let him play DH in homestands in Boston when the heel is feeling good.  When it kicks up, bench him until it feels okay again.  In other words - however many swings he has left, Id rather it be for Red Sox than Pawsox.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I think anyone who remotely follows the red sox knows what is going on with David. If someone visits this forum a few minutes a day and does not know what is going on with Ortiz, they must have attention issues.

To the poster who thinks David is out of shape.  I posted that I have seen David play in McCoy this past week.  The TV is not kind to Ortiz and he is in good shape.  I was watching felger and group last night on comcast.  They were knocking him for being chubby.  I am guessing none of them made the trip to McCoy this past week.

Saying that, I don't think any other players would have made it to Fenway with the production Ortiz had in Pawtucket.  Three singles, two of which could have easily have been outs, and a homer off a very tired pitcher, does not exactly tell me he is ready. But the sox want to keep Ortiz happy and they will let him call the shots.  It is rare, but some players who have not had a great minor league rehab, catch right on when they get back to their parent club.

It is all about the sox doing well, so getting Ortiz quickly back to fenway makes sense.  It is time to see what he can do on Landsdowne Street.

I'm more worried about a re-injury (or a different injury) from ramping up too fast.  I want to see him play a game, see how the heel reacts.  Play a second game (in a row) , see how the heel reacts.  Rest a game.  Kind of a feel it out process.

He's had singles and a homer, so he hasn't had to leg out a double.  He hasnt had to turn quickly, sharply on a bag.

I'm a bit worried, personally.  I care more about making sure that when he comes back, he stays back than rushing him back...

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts