20 LOB vs O's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

20 LOB vs O's

A total of 20 men left on base last night by Sox hitters. Laurie led w 6!, the Crawford, Salty and Scutaro with 4 each! AGon had 2.

The worst display of clutch hitting imaginable!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: 20 LOB vs O's

well, the line up really misses Youk and CrAwful is automatic out

imagine if Youk were in there and we had just an "average" hitting leftfielder?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So what you're saying is that the offense is responsible for a loss in which the pitching staff gave up 6 runs.  You're saying the offense should be able to regularly score 7 or more runs.

The Red Sox scored the 3rd most runs in the AL during September.  The collapse was not due to the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, what would be nice is for the Sox to score a pair of runs in the first inning...get out to a nice little lead......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In Response to Re: 20 LOB vs O's:
    [QUOTE]So what you're saying is that the offense is responsible for a loss in which the pitching staff gave up 6 runs.  You're saying the offense should be able to regularly score 7 or more runs. The Red Sox scored the 3rd most runs in the AL during September.  The collapse was not due to the offense.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

No doubt this team can hit. It's just that there is a lack of timely hitting, or clutch hitting, or hitting when it matters. That's all. It all really comes down to pitching, don't get me wrong, but we need to start getting that timely hit to make the other hits before it count on the scoreboard. It took until the 14th inning sunday night to get one of those, but in most cases, that's got to happen a lot sooner than that my friend.

My opinion the last couple days of this team is, as far as sollutions go?... This team needs to get angry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Offense was the problem last night. Should had cashed in on those chances. This is not an elite team and we should not hold them to those standards

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to 20 LOB vs O's:
    [QUOTE]A total of 20 men left on base last night by Sox hitters. Laurie led w 6!, the Crawford, Salty and Scutaro with 4 each! AGon had 2. The worst display of clutch hitting imaginable!
    Posted by jader[/QUOTE]

Crawford hit the ball hard 3 times last night just didn't find grass...Scutaro rolled over a couple in big situations late but at least both of them put their bat on the ball...

Lowrie, twice he came up with runners on and swung at a 1st pitch breaking ball and poped out...not exactly an ideal pitch, I hate defensive swings on the 1st pitch...Typically Lowire likes to work the count so clearly he came up looking for the breaking ball.

Gonzalez too had a couple of at bats were he got himself out...He has ro remember with Lowrie hitting behind him with runners on they're not gonna pitch to him and so he needs to take a pitch or two and see if their comong after him or not...He's clearly pressing, becasue he's swinging at too many pitches off the plate especially the back foot slider from righties...

Someone needs to tell Salty that when the bases are loaded the pressure is on the pitcher...In his at bat with the bases loaded the pitcher never threw him a strike...He just kept throwing back foot sliders down and in which he fouled off twice then down 0-2 kept the ball low off the plate with a combination of slders and two seamers away down and off the plate...

The bad news is we left 20 guys on base, the good news is we got 20 guys on base...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I hate LOB used in this way.  You come up with the bases loaded, drive someone in with a Sac Fly, you are "charged" with 2 men left when you did your job.  If the same guy scores because you hit into a double play, you only get "charged" with 1 LOB.  Hit a double, 2 guys score and the 3rd gets thrown out at the plate trying to score, you get charged with 0 LOB.  LOB is a team stat, not an individual one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I hate LOB used in this way.  You come up with the bases loaded, drive someone in with a Sac Fly, you are "charged" with 2 men left when you did your job.  If the same guy scores because you hit into a double play, you only get "charged" with 1 LOB.  Hit a double, 2 guys score and the 3rd gets thrown out at the plate trying to score, you get charged with 0 LOB.  LOB is a team stat, not an individual one.
    Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE]

I agree...to me I judge an at bat based on the quality of the at bat not nessasarily the results...

Last night Crawford hit the ball square 3 times and didn't get a hit...While multiple times last night guys got jammed and blooped one over the infield and found grass...

I would say that Saltalamaccia's at bat with the bases loaded falls into the bad at bat category because he hacked at a 1st pitch backfoot slider pulling it foul and from that point forward, he fell behind and the pitcher ahead in the count never threw him another strike in the entire at bat....

Hitting with runners on base and especially when you come to bat with the bases loaded with less than 2 outs, guys with the ability to hit with runners in scoring position understand that the pressure is on the pitcher, not the hitter. So they don't expand their zone, rather look for a pitch they can handle in a particular zone and hack and if you make the pitcher throw strikes, you'll likely get a pitch or two that you can handle and put a good swing on it. That doesn't garantee success, but fact is that when hitters are ahead they fare much better than when they're behind...I don't mind 1st pitch swinging if the hitter takes a good hack at a ball they can handle...I hate defensive swings on the 1st pitch...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Every line score is the same.  Sox score 2-3 runs on 10-12 hits, while opponent scores 5-6 runs on 6-7 hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 20 LOB vs O's : I agree...to me I judge an at bat based on the quality of the at bat not nessasarily the results... Last night Crawford hit the ball square 3 times and didn't get a hit...While multiple times last night guys got jammed and blooped one over the infield and found grass... I would say that Saltalamaccia's at bat with the bases loaded falls into the bad at bat category because he hacked at a 1st pitch backfoot slider pulling it foul and from that point forward, he fell behind and the pitcher ahead in the count never threw him another strike in the entire at bat.... Hitting with runners on base and especially when you come to bat with the bases loaded with less than 2 outs, guys with the ability to hit with runners in scoring position understand that the pressure is on the pitcher, not the hitter. So they don't expand their zone, rather look for a pitch they can handle in a particular zone and hack and if you make the pitcher throw strikes, you'll likely get a pitch or two that you can handle and put a good swing on it. That doesn't garantee success, but fact is that when hitters are ahead they fare much better than when they're behind...I don't mind 1st pitch swinging if the hitter takes a good hack at a ball they can handle...I hate defensive swings on the 1st pitch...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Sensible comments.