2010-'11 Free agents. How they did.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2010-'11 Free agents. How they did.

A year after Bay was about the biggest FA bust, early results don't look pretty for Theo this time. 

Here is a list of most of the big money, ALEast, and/or potential Sox from last years' hot stove:

Beltre  5 @ 16m   Great year. Same problems as before hamstrings and no walks
    Benoit 3 @ 5.5m  1.3 ERA post AS, Jenks was AWOL after AS game.
    Berkman 1 @ 8m  About best value .959 OPS Has socks older than Iglesias.

Buck  3 @ 6m   Made Salty look like an AS.  .367 slg%, ouch
    Crawford  7 @ ~20m  Only 2OF < OBP Wells and Rios

Downs  3 @ 5m   1.34 ERA Glad Sox saved the extra 3m Jenks didn't get.
    Dunn  4 @ 14m  Rob Dear/Kingman redux with 11 homers.
    Farnsworth  1 @ 3.25m  Henry give the Rays' guy your Yacht/lady.

Feliciano  2 @ 4m  Very consistent year.
    Francouer  1 @ 2.5m 47 doubles 2nd in MLB, Cameron didn't play 47 games.

Hall 1 @ 3.25m 1st on list to get cut? 5th lowest OBP MLB '09 -'11
    Jenks  2 @ 6m    Won 2 clubhouse wing eating contests.
    Jones NYY  1  @ 2m Cashman hits RHOF gold 2yrs running

Konerko  3  @ 12.5m Can't run, can't field, can't miss a fastball.
    Kotchman  m.l.d.  Smoke and mirrors, but credit is due to Rays guy again.

Lee  5 @ 24m Glad his wife prefers Philly chease steaks.
    Lee Balt  1  @ 7.25m 7.06 OPS for Balt
    Martin  1  @ 4m Decent year, good value.

VMart  4 @ 12.5m Early returns great, still worry about last 2 years.
    Ordonez  1  @ 10m Strong finish lifted him to '634 OPS

Soriano  3 @ ~12m George's offspring learn a lesson
    Werth 7 @ 18m Helped Nats finish 3.5 games ahead of Mets
    Wheeler 1 @ 3m Best thing from RI since Farrelly brothers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: 2010-'11 FA one season later

Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad ...

Beltre - bringing back Beltre would have meant no Gonzalez - God comments aside, you're not being honest with yourself if you think that would make for a better Sox team.  

Benoit - would have been great in setup, but he was given a chance to close in Detroit, which the Sox couldn't offer.  

Buck - good pass - a lot of people on this board advocated signing him.

Crawford - so far, not good, and will never be worth $20M, but if Ellsbury is traded should be seen in the context of that return.

Downs - would have been a better pick-up than Jenks.  So far the only true miss on Theos part.

Dunn - good pass.

Farnsworth - good year, but injured in the stretch run.  Would be considered a bust if Theo had signed him.

Feliciano - consistent with what - he never took the field.

Francoeur - no room for him last winter, unless Theo gave up on Cameron before the season began.  Could have picked him up at the deadline, I suppose, but would not have been significant improvement over Aviles, who was more versatile defensively.

Hall - good pass

Jenks - bad signing so far

Jones - like Francoeur, was not needed at the time

Konerko - no room

Kotchman - no room 

Lee - no chance

Lee Balt - no room

Martin - the Sox tried for Martin, but ultimately were better off with Salty / Tek.  Good pass.

VMart - tough call - he was rarely used as a catcher, and as a DH, Papi had better numbers.  I'm not sure he would have made the team any better, other than the occasional catching start against lefties.  Could have been a factor in the post-season, if we had gone that far.

Ordonez - good pass

Soriano - good pass, I thought we should have signed him last year, and was very wrong (so far).

Werth - arguably worse than Crawford.  Definitely worse since May 1.  Good pass. Many, many posters were arguing for Werth.

Wheeler - better than his numbers, but largely a non-factor.  Bad pickup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: 2010-'11 Free agents. How they did.

Also, in fairness - don't forget Aceves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Francoeur is a brilliant defensive RF, and had a great year at the plate. How can you compare him to Aviles, who couldn't catch a cold when he played OF, and is not on the same planet at the plate?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

VMart 4 @ 12.5m Early returns great, still worry about last 2 years.

Do you still worry about Varitek's last 2 years and next 2 years.

You left out a lot of UIF FA in your report.

Lowrie was offered arbitration. When can we expect him to be better than Scutaro? When can we expect him to be an elite MLB SS? When will he play 3/4 of a season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice work tom-uk.

VMart had a career norm year in OPS, but he only caught 26 games. I'm not sure if his bat would have suffered had be been forced to catch 120-140 games here this year. I guess he could have DH'd 5-10 games and played 1B in another 5.

I know the CERA value argument just continued the same trend for yet another year, both in Boston and Detroit. I guess that "voodoo" jive still works.

CERA:
    Avila  3.88
    VMart 5.26
    (Even if you take Verlander out of the equation, VMart would still be way behind)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Francouer is one of the worst players in baseball...no range in the OF (although inhis defense he does have a great arm) doesn't hit for average, never walks, kills rallies with DP's and ENDLESS strikeouts. He is the poor man's Jesse Barfield (I cannot believe I actually wrote that phrase... my Blue Jays fan buddy will be proud/sad ;0).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

VMART led the league in batting average (.394) with men in scoring positon this year, Tek didn't even come close.  I doubt CERA's value offset that stat, and don't foget our staff was actually terrible all year not just in September.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: 2010-'11 Free agents. How they did.:
    VMART led the league in batting average (.394) with men in scoring positon this year, Tek didn't even come close.  I doubt CERA's value offset that stat, and don't foget our staff was actually terrible all year not just in September.
    Posted by BurritoT

Nobody's suggesting Martinez can't still handle the bat, but if you swap him for Tek, you're paying a guy $12M to catch 1/3 of your games.  If you swap him for Salty, it's 2/3, and then you really can't make a judgement until the contract runs its course. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Athens any thoughts?

Francouer is one of the worst players in baseball...no range in the OF (although inhis defense he does have a great arm) doesn't hit for average, never walks, kills rallies with DP's and ENDLESS strikeouts. He is the poor man's Jesse Barfield (I cannot believe I actually wrote that phrase... my Blue Jays fan buddy will be proud/sad ;0).
    Posted by athens7676

What? Flawed yes but worst, not even close.

OPS .805
    .4 UZR bad range, great arm
    2.9 WAR 13m value paid 2.5m (Cameron 7.5m)
    .934 vs LHP
    47 doubles (MLB best 48)
    71 XBH (Ortiz 70, Tulo 68, Pujols 66, Teix66, Beltre 65, Pedrroia 61)

He wants to start but the Sox could have traded vey little for him instead of signing Cameron before 2010. As a platoon RHOF he would have been very usefull.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Sorry... as a Braves fan, I HATE Francouer!! He either struck out, or hit in into a DP every time he came up in a big spot....then he would homer when the Braves were either up 10-1 or down 10-1. (I know that that is probably not true, but it DANG SURE felt that way). 

That being said, he is a low OBP, High K guy...who is not of much value (except for his arm in RF which is fantastic)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: 2010-'11 Free agents. How they did.:
    Posted by BurritoT

Hey Burrito...

I think it's time for Sox fans to give up on the Vmart deal...He's no longer an everyday catcher and had the Sox signed him that's where they would've had to have played him.

Ever wonder why the Indians began to play him at 1B? When he was still in his prime? Or why he chose to sign with the Tigers to DH? Trust me if Martinez was even an average defensive catcher with his stick, teams would've fallen over themselves to sign him (The Sox included)

The guy has future HOF catcher batting stats his career numbers mirror Jorge Posada's. Unfortunately his stick suffer when he's behind the plate and lets not forget that he also hurt his shoulder and since has lost what little arm strength he had as we saw when he was behind the plate for us....

As such on the open market his most marketable skillset is his bat which plays as above average for a DH and about middle of the pack for 1B due to lack of power (12 hrs) defensively his glove plays ok at 1B...He does have some value as an emergency catcher or even a guy that could catch once a week...but his days as an everyday catcher are over and that is due to the expected drop in offensive production because of the grind of catching every day...

Now that said I would've loved for the Sox to sign him and then transistion him into the DH role but that's water under the bridge...

Sections
Shortcuts