2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get

The organization will probably evaluate the following players on whether to bring them back. I'd say release or trade:

1. Wakefield - Creates too many roster problems and he's done.
    2. Miller - Just not a good pitcher and not worth $3M
    3. Lowrie - You have seen the best he is. Bad fielder and injured too often.
    4. Bowden - 25 years old already and doesn't serve any purpose.
    5. DMac - Obvious

Any more?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get

I agree with 1 and 5.  I'd like to see Miller come back, and we don't really know what Bowden can bring yet - he had a great year at Pawtucket.  Lowrie will not cost much in arbitration, and the Sox should wait for a healthy hot streak from Lowrie, then trade him while his value is at its peak.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get:
    [QUOTE]The organization will probably evaluate the following players on whether to bring them back. I'd say release or trade: 1. Wakefield - Creates too many roster problems and he's done. 2. Miller - Just not a good pitcher and not worth $3M 3. Lowrie - You have seen the best he is. Bad fielder and injured too often. 4. Bowden - 25 years old already and doesn't serve any purpose. 5. DMac - Obvious Any more?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Lowrie will be back then be packaged.  With Aviles, Iglesias and the way Scuter has played the Sox may bring him back if the price is right.  I think Miller may be the only other decision.  There is still something there that could become pretty good but all others are gone.

We need a solid #4 pitcher and someone to take over for Wake along with a revamped pen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get:
    [QUOTE]In Response to 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Lowrie will be back then be packaged.  With Aviles, Iglesias and the way Scuter has played the Sox may bring him back if the price is right.  I think Miller may be the only other decision.  There is still something there that could become pretty good but all others are gone. We need a solid #4 pitcher and someone to take over for Wake along with a revamped pen.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Lowrie should've been traded as soon as we realized that he could only play 2B.  With that, all his value, for us, disappeared.

Unless Miller wants to sign a minor league contract, he's got to go.

Don't know why Bowden is on the list, unless it has something to do with roster space on the 40-man.

Wake should be gone, but we still need to land a quality #6,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Lowrie should've been traded as soon as we realized that he could only play 2B.  With that, all his value, for us, disappeared. Unless Miller wants to sign a minor league contract, he's got to go. Don't know why Bowden is on the list, unless it has something to do with roster space on the 40-man. Wake should be gone, but we still need to land a quality #6,
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I think a solid #4 may even be more important than Wakes position Joe.  Lackey doesn't put up solid enough numbers but we are probably stuck with him as #5.  Maybe Bedard, but hes injured again so why resign him when that's one of our existing issues?  I totally agree with Lowrie, he appears passive, uncomfortable and just doesn't seem like a guy that brings much emotion or positives to the team anymore. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with 1 and 5.  I'd like to see Miller come back, and we don't really know what Bowden can bring yet - he had a great year at Pawtucket.  Lowrie will not cost much in arbitration, and the Sox should wait for a healthy hot streak from Lowrie, then trade him while his value is at its peak.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    An MLB general manager won't be persuaded by a "healthy hot streak" on a player who has played in 250 games starting in the 2008 season. Jed Lowrie, who turns 28 in April, is what he is: an injury-prone .252 career hitter with lifetime OPS of .724 and some defensive limitations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

I would be shocked if the Sox bring back Bedard. He was acquired just for the stretch run, and got hurt (as is his wont) right away. Giving him anything other than league minimum would be silly. Nobody is gonna give up anything of value for Lowrie. GM's are to savvy these days to fall in love with a guy because of a 2 week hot streak. I would keep Miller if he could be brought back at less money. I am holding on to D-Mac and Bowden for the time being, they are both young and could help the team going forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox love Miller and said is going to be a big piece on next year's team. Bowden is 25 and has shown some upside. Lowrie will still be here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Lowrie will be back then be packaged.  With Aviles, Iglesias and the way Scuter has played the Sox may bring him back if the price is right.  I think Miller may be the only other decision.  There is still something there that could become pretty good but all others are gone. We need a solid #4 pitcher and someone to take over for Wake along with a revamped pen.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Miller might have a chance to improve if the Sox get a new pitching coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]I would be shocked if the Sox bring back Bedard. He was acquired just for the stretch run, and got hurt (as is his wont) right away. Giving him anything other than league minimum would be silly. Nobody is gonna give up anything of value for Lowrie. GM's are to savvy these days to fall in love with a guy because of a 2 week hot streak. I would keep Miller if he could be brought back at less money. I am holding on to D-Mac and Bowden for the time being, they are both young and could help the team going forward.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]
    I agree about Bowden but not McD. I don't think McD has a brain that works all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with 1 and 5.  I'd like to see Miller come back, and we don't really know what Bowden can bring yet - he had a great year at Pawtucket.  Lowrie will not cost much in arbitration, and the Sox should wait for a healthy hot streak from Lowrie, then trade him while his value is at its peak.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

If they bring Miller back, they owe him $3M. Do you think he's worth that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Lowrie should've been traded as soon as we realized that he could only play 2B.  With that, all his value, for us, disappeared. Unless Miller wants to sign a minor league contract, he's got to go. Don't know why Bowden is on the list, unless it has something to do with roster space on the 40-man. Wake should be gone, but we still need to land a quality #6,

Agree on a #6, but Wakefield isn't a number 6. He should be out to pasture.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : An MLB general manager won't be persuaded by a "healthy hot streak" on a player who has played in 250 games starting in the 2008 season. Jed Lowrie, who turns 28 in April, is what he is: an injury-prone .252 career hitter with lifetime OPS of .724 and some defensive limitations.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thank you Hill, all the more reason to try and get rid of him for anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Agree on a #6, but Wakefield isn't a number 6. He should be out to pasture.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

The only reason Wakefield is starting is no one else can stay healthy.  Getting rid of Wakefield won't make everyone else healthier.

The guy is going to retire, but what fans don't understand is that hea was in there over the other guys who were not as good.  Would you really rather have had more starts from Weiland and Miller?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

and the Sox should wait for a healthy hot streak from Lowrie, then trade him while his value is at its peak.

That train left the station last winter. I said it would be the only window, and it was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Agree on a #6, but Wakefield isn't a number 6. He should be out to pasture.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but that's a tricky thing.  I wanted Doubront as our #6, long-guy, lefty guy.  Once he was injured, Wake was as reasonable as anyone.  You probably can't a vet for that slot, since they'll want to start.  So choice #2 is a minor leaguer that can come up as needed, but we don't look like we have that either.

I'd be curious if we could interest Bedard in the 6-slot, and sign someone mediocre for the 4-5.  Put on an incentive contract.  History has to tell him that our #6 gets 20 starts, and that his history doesn't predict much more than that anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get:
    [QUOTE]The organization will probably evaluate the following players on whether to bring them back. I'd say release or trade: 1. Wakefield - Creates too many roster problems and he's done. 2. Miller - Just not a good pitcher and not worth $3M 3. Lowrie - You have seen the best he is. Bad fielder and injured too often. 4. Bowden - 25 years old already and doesn't serve any purpose. 5. DMac - Obvious Any more?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
       I agree with above 5, I would add Varitek, Albers, Wheeler and Jenks even if they had to eat some contracts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Non-Tenders, Release, or Trade for whatever you can get : Maybe, but that's a tricky thing.  I wanted Doubront as our #6, long-guy, lefty guy.  Once he was injured, Wake was as reasonable as anyone.  You probably can't a vet for that slot, since they'll want to start.  So choice #2 is a minor leaguer that can come up as needed, but we don't look like we have that either. I'd be curious if we could interest Bedard in the 6-slot, and sign someone mediocre for the 4-5.  Put on an incentive contract.  History has to tell him that our #6 gets 20 starts, and that his history doesn't predict much more than that anyway.
    Do you think Erik Bedard has enjoyed his time with the Red Sox, who are 21-25 since the trade? What does Bedard think of the current clubhouse atmosphere?

Bedard re-signed with Seattle last offseason despite a nighmarish Mariner season -- on and off the field -- in 2010. So perhaps the current state of the Red Sox would not be a deterrent (especially if the Sox catch some postseason lightning).