2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?

In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited?:
    In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : im with softy on this one Moon....
    Posted by georom4

I didn't say they'd be great. I just said we should see a great improvement. When your RF'ers had a combined .652 OPS, it's not that hard to do.

Mr. hanky himself likes to say players revert back to their "career norm" or his absurd term "median average", well, let's follow the clown's logic:

Ross vs LHPs: .912 career
    Sweeney vs RHPs: .754 career

Maybe we are just arguing semantics here, but I'd say it pretty sure we'll see at least a 100 point OPS gain in RF. To me, that is a "great gain". I'm actually expecting 150 points. Would you call that ...
    "a great improvement"?

If Sweeney can hit .780 vs RHPs (in Fenway not Oakland, mind you) and Ross can hit .900 vs LHPs (in Fenway, not the NL West), then I can see us maybe having an .826 OPS in RF next year. That would be a 170 point gain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It's hard to imagine anyone we put out in right field not producing better than what we got from that position last year.

I'm very excited!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm pretty excited about our chances of improvements in RF and LF. I suppose we could see improvement in CF as well, but that's pushing it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Kalish has missed a ton of time - I think he's going to be rusty when he gets back to playing full time, but if he performs well, that seems to threaten Sweeney more than McDonald.

My sleeper pick is Jeremy Hazelbaker.  He finished last year strong in Portland, and seemed to figure some things out with his stance.  He's got terrific speed, approach and has added some power.  He's 24, so he really needs to do something this year, but he should play most of the year in Pawtucket.  If he starts hot, he could get called up before Kalish.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kalish has missed a ton of time - I think he's going to be rusty when he gets back to playing full time, but if he performs well, that seems to threaten Sweeney more than McDonald.

Why? Because DMac hits about 50 better in OPS? Sweeney is 10 times a better fielder, and has more upside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Kalish has missed a ton of time - I think he's going to be rusty when he gets back to playing full time, but if he performs well, that seems to threaten Sweeney more than McDonald. Why? Because DMac hits about 50 better in OPS? Sweeney is 10 times a better fielder, and has more upside.
    Posted by moonslav59

Yeah, but 200 OPS better vs lefties.  What do you do with Kalish if he's healthy and productive at AAA?  Dump McDonald and go with 4 lefties plus Ross in the OF?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The entitled ones want a Rolls-Royce at every position and a dugout full of Ferraris. Life is just not fair to have anything less.
    Posted by LadyLake

Yeah, I'm not quite getting it.  Let's ignore the $20M LF, and let's ignore the All-World CF, and let's focus on the platoon in RF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

I'm a little confused as to why everyone is acting like CC is going to be out a long time. Every informed opinion I've seen says that he'll be back in mid-to-late April at worst. I know he's Carl Crawford and had a bad year and therefore will never be good again and probably will miss 150 games with a hangnail and should probably just die already but geez....get a grip people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, but 200 OPS better vs lefties.  What do you do with Kalish if he's healthy and productive at AAA?  Dump McDonald and go with 4 lefties plus Ross in the OF?

1) Ellsbury is not a worry vs LHPs.
    2) CC will not be platooned, even though he should be.
    3) We probably won't have 5 OF'ers on the 25 man roster.
    4) We have Aviles to play in the OF if we really need a RH'er in the OF. (I'd be happy with him in LF.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Ross starts against a LHP. He is replaced in the 6th by Sweeney against a RHP. Aviles bats for Sweeney in the 8th against a LHP. Drew takes over in the 9th as a defensive replacement. He's been in a coffee shop in uniform.
    Easy as pie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

With Crawford out woeful might be a good term to describe the outfield. Maybe when he gets back we might upgrade to average. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The outfield will be fine but there won't be any competition. If Aviles is the SS, MacDonald has job, if someone else is not so much. Regards MacDonald will start the season on the roster. Ellsbury will hopefully be the same, Crawford will be better, and RF will greatly be improved.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

In regards to Cody/Sweetie, mentioning the word "great" in any context is laughable!

Red Sox have over 30 million cost for 2012 outfield, and it is going to be terrible!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's Ellsbury then everybody else.    Crawford won't start the season after recent wrist surgery and the other corner outfielders are mediocre at best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : I didn't say they'd be great. I just said we should see a great improvement. When your RF'ers had a combined .652 OPS, it's not that hard to do. Mr. hanky himself likes to say players revert back to their "career norm" or his absurd term "median average", well, let's follow the clown's logic: Ross vs LHPs: .912 career Sweeney vs RHPs: .754 career Maybe we are just arguing semantics here, but I'd say it pretty sure we'll see at least a 100 point OPS gain in RF. To me, that is a "great gain". I'm actually expecting 150 points. Would you call that ... "a great improvement"? If Sweeney can hit .780 vs RHPs (in Fenway not Oakland, mind you) and Ross can hit .900 vs LHPs (in Fenway, not the NL West), then I can see us maybe having an .826 OPS in RF next year. That would be a 170 point gain.  
    Posted by moonslav59

that would be awesome production Moon but thats asking a lot.....these guys are platoon players - we need CC to be healthy and useful this year.....im not excited about RF...sorry

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

that would be awesome production Moon but thats asking a lot.....these guys are platoon players - we need CC to be healthy and useful this year.....im not excited about RF...sorry

Asking players to just produce their career norm as they move from pitching parks to a hitting park is 'asking too much"? Really?

Even if Ross dips to .900 vs LHPs and Sweeney to .750 vs RHPs, we should see about an .800 OPS in RF. That's nearly a 150 point gain. Expecting only a 100 point gain could be viewed as being pessimistic, at best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Crawford out woeful might be a good term to describe the outfield. Maybe when he gets back we might upgrade to average. -bt33

It's Ellsbury then everybody else.    Crawford won't start the season after recent wrist surgery and the other corner outfielders are mediocre at best.-OnDeckCircle

Ellsbury's 2011 season certainly elevated our overall OF numbers last year, but I think some of you have inflated views about other team's OF production. There aren't as many great hitting OF'ers as years past, in my opinion, in fact, if you think about how rotten our corner OF'ers were last year offensively, it's a bit shocking to see that our combined OF placed...
    11th in WAR
    10th in OPS
    17th in OBP
    7th in SLG%

I see at least a 100 point OPS gain in RF, and probably near the same in LF. Going by 2011's numbers, that would place us in the top 5 in MLB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Yeah, but 200 OPS better vs lefties.  What do you do with Kalish if he's healthy and productive at AAA?  Dump McDonald and go with 4 lefties plus Ross in the OF? 1) Ellsbury is not a worry vs LHPs. 2) CC will not be platooned, even though he should be. 3) We probably won't have 5 OF'ers on the 25 man roster. 4) We have Aviles to play in the OF if we really need a RH'er in the OF. (I'd be happy with him in LF.)
    Posted by moonslav59

I can see where you're coming from if Iglesias starts at SS.  If Aviles is the starting SS more often than not, then I don't see how you can go with only 4 OFs.  And if Kalish is making his case to join the big league team, he gives you everything Sweeney does and more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 outfield competition......anyone else excited? : I can see where you're coming from if Iglesias starts at SS.  If Aviles is the starting SS more often than not, then I don't see how you can go with only 4 OFs.  And if Kalish is making his case to join the big league team, he gives you everything Sweeney does and more.
    Posted by slomag

It's not hard to go with just 4 OF'ers as long as you have an emergency IF'er (Aviles and even Punto) who have some exerience in the OF.

I do agree that it is not the best idea to have a FT SS be your 5th OF'er, but if we do go with just 4 OF'ers, we'll have plenty of SS coverage to allow an emergency or late inning move of Aviles to the OF for an inning or two or an occaisional start vs LHPs.

Sections
Shortcuts