2012.... PITCHING,DEFENSE,SPEED,FUNDAMENTALS, & DESIRE........

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: 2012.... PITCHING,DEFENSE,SPEED,FUNDAMENTALS, & DESIRE........

I think you would be surprised by the number of times the team with the better offense wins the series. I'll still take Earl Weavers' 3 run homer approach over small ball any day.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think it's all about balance. Earl Weaver's formula wasn't just a 3 run homer. It was GPG + 3R HR = W. Not only that, but Weaver's Os played some pretty good defense and they had some speed in Paul Blair too. They also had possibly the lightest hitting SS in baseball history in Mark Belanger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The vast majority of the Yankee teams were known for their offense, they had better than average pitching to be sure, but it was the offense that drove the bus. Most teams that make the series are in the top third of runs scored, I'm not saying pitching and defense don't matter, but the that vtheir is a mis-conception on the importance of offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Defense wasn't even in the thoughts of the Sox last season. The month of September looked like my little league team defensively!!!!! Missing the cut off on throws from the outfiled not backing up throws by the infielders and pitchers in particular,throwing the ball to all the wrong places and then compounding the bad throw with another bad throw...Unforutnately Cherrington and the Sox's first order of business was to exercise the option on Julio Scrubtaro's contract,and that means another year of hearing Jerry and Don gleefully say "just past the outstretched glove of Marco Polo" because you and I both know he can't field for shyte. All in all the Sox need to somehow right a ship that went terribly sour when they should have been ruling the East and all of baseball for that fact.Iglesias,Boergarts or any SS not named Marco Scrubtaro,Julio Lowrie or even the great Aviles!Please.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The O's also had some fairly good pitching. 1971; 4 20 game winners, Palmer, Cuellar, Dobson and McNally. They could afford to wait for the 3 run HR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Palmer was my all time favorite Baltimore pitcher.....youngest pitcher to win a world series game (against Koufax).....injured for two years....then returns to go 16-4 (with a no hitter)...followed by four twenty game seasons...another injury (along with a great era as always)...back healthy again and another four twenty game seasons....what a great pitcher...!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Weaver's approach only worked because they had the best pitching and defense in the league in the years they won.  Belanger, Robinson, Blair all were at the very top of their positions, defensively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

In Response to Re: 2012.... PITCHING,DEFENSE,SPEED,FUNDAMENTALS, & DESIRE........:
    Defense wasn't even in the thoughts of the Sox last season. The month of September looked like my little league team defensively!!!!! Missing the cut off on throws from the outfiled not backing up throws by the infielders and pitchers in particular,throwing the ball to all the wrong places and then compounding the bad throw with another bad throw...Unforutnately Cherrington and the Sox's first order of business was to exercise the option on Julio Scrubtaro's contract,and that means another year of hearing Jerry and Don gleefully say "just past the outstretched glove of Marco Polo" because you and I both know he can't field for shyte. All in all the Sox need to somehow right a ship that went terribly sour when they should have been ruling the East and all of baseball for that fact.Iglesias,Boergarts or any SS not named Marco Scrubtaro,Julio Lowrie or even the great Aviles!Please.....
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Didn't they win 3 gold gloves amongst the regulars?  Yes, they all played like they were getting paid to lose, but for 5 months the defense was very good, the starting pitching good enough, and the offense and bullpen outstanding.

I do happen to agree with you about letting Bogaerts and Iglesias win the job to play SS.  And I would like to see Middlebrooks at 3B.  Let Youk DH and spell Agon.  I think the offense could still be good enough, and the defense would improve on the all important left side of the infield (the right side already has two gold glovers).  Kids who are learning and trying to prove themselves will make mistakes, but they won't play like they are being paid to lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here's "all world 2nd baseman" Bill in his heyday:

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

Bob you got it right now your talking. As a Yankee fan I know all to well you can put the best team on paper in the field and if they lack desire the paper is worthless in the end. I wish to god someone would explain that to A-Rod.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: 2012.... PITCHING,DEFENSE,SPEED,FUNDAMENTALS, & DESIRE........:
       THIS IS WHAT 2012 WILL BE ALL ABOUT.......  LUCCIANO's HAS CLOSED DOWN THE CHECK BOOK !!!   IT'S A NEW WORLD AT FENWAY PAAAAAK..... THEO WHO ????????
    Posted by Bill-806

Amen! The big chance you've been waiting for to take over as Sox GM and to take pike as your assistant. "Henceforth all inter-office memos and press release statements will be formatted in all caps, with only exclamation points for punctuation: STARTING NOW!!!!!"

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

The O's also had some fairly good pitching. 1971; 4 20 game winners, Palmer, Cuellar, Dobson and McNally. They could afford to wait for the 3 run HR.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

The Os had great pitching, really good defense and they could hit.  They had it all imo!

Sections
Shortcuts