2012 Red Sox Roster-Who do we say good-bye to?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: 2012 Red Sox Roster-Who do we say good-bye to?

I'd make them all available with the possible exception of Ortiz. I'd hate to see him in pinstripes with that short porch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Quite a rogues gallery, add Lowrie. Keep Salty and Ortiz, get rid of the rest. Let Lavarnway DH p/t and bkup Salty. We're stuck w/Lackey and his hideous salary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Bedard might be kept, but only at the right price.  He's a #3-4 guy anyway.  I agree Lowrie is gone; he just can't stay healthy.  Scutaro is one of the few guys who's shown up this month and he might be able to play 3rd if Ortiz goes and Youk becomes the dh.  Salty stays; this was his first full season and I would hate to go into next year with 2 new catchers.  He wore down as the season went on.  Reddick can be kept, but he's a 4th OF at best and that should be his role.

If I'm the new manager, I tell Lackey you've got 8 starts to show me something.  If you can't, you're going to be the #12-13 Pitcher, which means you will pitch in the dMac/Jonathan Van Every role.  Since you led the pitchers in hitting last year, you can ph when we go to NL parks.

I also tell my other starting pitchers to start getting in the mindset of 9 innings.  2 complete games is an embarassment, especially when one of them was by Wakefield.

I fear the biggest loss may be Papelbon.  I see him signing somewhere else and not necessarily because the FO low balls him.  The most telling stat of the year may well be that he had only 33 save opprtunities and was available all year.  Guys for the Astros may have more than that, and they have like 56 wins all year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to 2012 Red Sox Roster-Who do we say good-bye to?:
     Do you agree? Additions/Subtractions? Matt Albers Scott Atchison Erik Bedard Michael Bowden John Lackey Trever Miller Tim Wakefield Dan Wheeler Jarrod Saltalamacchia Jason Varitek Marco Scutaro J.D. Drew Joey Gathright Conor Jackson Darnell McDonald Josh Reddick David Ortiz Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Posted by 2004Idiots

You say "good-bye" to John Lackey? Would that life was that simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Well, since Boston have been playing very well up to the month of July, and suddenly injuries piled up.  Best way to try to keep everyone except often injured proned player such as JD Drew/Papi/Lowrie, etc.  

But to answer your question above, only guy I can think of keeping is Salty and Scutaro (reason I think Boston will pick up his option is that if the top three free agency SS is asking way too much $$$$$ such as Reyes asking more than 10 millions to 15 millions dollars a year).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I think I would add Youkilis to the list. He has expressed a desire to end his career in Cincinnati and I would try to make that happen for him. I don't think that Scutaro should be our everyday SS but he's had a good september and would make a fine back-up infielder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

But Youkilis is beginning to have a hip problem, and do you think Cincinnati want him playing at 3B?  They probably rather to have him at 1B, but Cincinnati already have Votto playing at 1B.  Probably too late to trade him to Cincinnati unless Cincinnati doesnt care about his medical report!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Keep Salty, Scutaro and Ortiz.  Lackey CAN'T be traded so he's coming back no matter how bad he is as both player, a teammate and a person.  The rest you can trade for a bag of used baseballs for all I care.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The best thing Ortiz can do is accept an offer of 1-year deal for $7-8 million with a (team) option of another year.     He'll never get a better offer anywhere else.
    At his age, his skills could decline quickly.    Teams in the AL want a DH that can play another position.
    The team is stuck with Lackey through the 2014 season.
    Matsuzaka won't be back until late in 2012, if at all.
    Varitek and Wakefield are too old and too slow.
    Offer a few of the others a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training to try and make the team.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Bye - Bye

• Ortiz
    • Tek
    • Wake
    • Lackey
    • Scutaro

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts