2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?

Wakefield
    NUSoxfan, phxvlsoxfan, craze4, diamondtalk,JB3,Bojo

Varitek
    NUSoxfan, Space, JB12, diamondtalk,JB3

Ortiz
    NUSoxfan, phxvlsoxfan, space, JB12, craze4, diamondtalk,JB3,Bojo

Drew

Cameron

Papelbon
    JB12,JB3

Scutaro

I'm going to reserve my comments until this esteemed Board of gentlemen has commented. For those drive-by stalking drones, please deposit your spamming drivel in the green fuels recycle depot at your local precinct ward. All military corpseman from the 59 states, your comments are particularly desired for the greatest thread import.

I also tally the numbers on each player:

Wakefield 6 votes to bring back (he'll obviously take a one year deal)
                  2 votes to let go

Vtek        5 votes to bring back (either way I'm happy is a yea vote)
                  3 votes to let go

Ortiz       8 votes to bring back (7-10M good year end numbers is a yea vote)
                 0 votes to let go

Papelbon  2 votes to bring back
                  6 votes to let go

Drew       0 vote to bring back
                 8 votes to let go

Cameron  0 vote to bring back
                 8 votes to let go

Scutaro   0 votes to bring back
                 4 votes to let go

Note: I'm going to put the poster names by the players they want back for 2012

Also, any vacillating about "comes down to the money" or "market cost" or "what the rotation looks like when the snow falls"  is a no vote. "50/50" is a maybe vote and thus, a no vote. "At least 50/50 is a yes vote. This isn't a thread where your views are evolving until after the next election. Leave the fence to politicians.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?

Wakefield - Depends if he'll take a 1 year deal and depends of Miller dazzles this year. We don't have any pitching prospects ready to go outside of Miller and the Jury is far from settled on him. Starting Pitching depth is always a plus. 1 year deal is important because I'd like to see the organization make a serious run at Weaver when he is a free agent the year after

V-Tek - I want to say Yadier has a club option and they certainly aren't going to let him go, need a backup catcher, however I've heard good things about our catching prospects. V-Tek or a young catcher either way I'm happy.

Ortiz - No brainer. Get him back.

Drew - Farewell Drew! Enjoy your ride into the sunset. (Hopefully you'll have another RS Ring to have on your shifting hand!)

Cameron - Also farewell Cammy, too bad with that whole Hernia thing.

Papelbon - Really, tough, call. I see the value of Paps in our 'pen. He allows Bard to be used wherever and is a quality closer. However the money he'll be demanding is tough to pay to a bullpen pitcher, investing it in a starter later down the road would always be more beneficial. I'll mark this down as a glad I'm not the GM decision.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?

I monitor this thread. The above post is exactly the form I am looking for. Well done. As I said, until all posters have had an opportunity to comment, I will reserve my comment on the issues raised. I will continue to moderated this thread, and I will ban anyone from this thread who violates thread rules.

For those who choose not to comment, I will put you down as wanting all of these veterans back at the market price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Wake - yes, as a relatively cheap insurance policy and team icon
    Tek - time to cut ties and say thanks for the many years of service.  Only concern is that Beckett has so much confidence throwing to Tek, and next year is one of those even number years when Beckett struggles.
    Ortiz - only if he doesn't tank in the 2nd half and the price and duration is right (1 yr, 7 - 10 M) so they can eat the contract if necessary.  As much as I am a Papi fan, it limits flexibility to have a full term DH that cannot play the field.
    Drew - I think he did a reasonable job for 4 years and hope he has a hot month this year, but his time has run out and we need to get younger.  His D may be missed but if Kalish is healthy he should be a nice fit.  I'm not sold on Reddick and wouldn't mind if they capitalize on his current hot play to maximize return in a trade.
    Cameron - I wouldn't be surprised if he was released before the end of the year.  The tank looks very empty.
    Paps - Agree this is a tough one but he just wears me out watching him.  I think someone else not named Jenks or KRod should close next year leaving Bard for use when most needed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wakefield - Depends on what the 2012 rotation looks like when the snow starts falling.  

Tek - Why not?  Assuming he takes a club friendly one-year deal, having a wizzened and grizzled vet like Tek as back-up backstop works just fine.  I don't think any of the kidz are going to be ready, so he won't be blocking anyone.

Big Papi 2.0 - Dicey situation.  If he is looking for more than 2 years, hard to justify.  But, if he and the Papi camp take a realistic view of the landscape, I'm all for giving him a 1-2 year deal in the range of his current salary, even a few bucks more.

Drew and Cam - So long Mel, have a nice trip.

Papelbon - I feel helpless to even make this call.  From a purely baseball perspective, I want him back as the closer, even if he is not the Paps of yore.  But, no doubt he is shooting for the moon, and I don't think the Sox should give him the moon.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

That is a U in my name thank you very much. I hold no connection to new york.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

My sincere apology to NU, as in Northeastern University. Correcting duly noted and made. I will agree to go on an apology tour with Al Sharpton if this site will agree not to ban me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I abstain from your driveling post and self-proclaimed and appointed Boston Red Sox Pollster position. I would vote however for your yankems to definately bring back Jeter/Posada/ARoid/Swisher/Garcia/Colon/Joba/Logan....as fearsome a group as ever assembled on any baseball team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Guys who wont be back:
    Drew- Almost certain he will retire
    Cameron- Will either retire or head back to the NL
    Wakefield- I feel he will retire and become a RS hall of famer.

Guys who will resign:
    Papi - 3 year 28million
    Tek- 1 year 2 million
    Papelbon- 4 years 48 million

You will be hard pressed to find a replacement for Papi, he is beloved by sox fan and can still rake.  Would love to see him back for another three years.

Tek is a leader and captian who has embrassed being a teacher and part time player.  He will make a nice manager one day.  Deserving of another one year deal.

Papelbon will be the best closer on the market and the Sox will be making a huge mistake letting him go and not bringing in a guy to compliment Bard.  Papelbon is showing signs he can still dominate the end of a game and should be retained.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield NUSoxfan, phxvlsoxfan Varitek NUSoxfan, Space  Ortiz NUSoxfan, phxvlsoxfan , space  Drew Cameron Papelbon I'm going to reserve my comments until this esteemed Board of gentlemen has commented. For those drive-by stalking drones, please deposit your spamming drivel in the green fuels recycle depot at your local precinct ward. All military corpseman from the 59 states, your comments are particularly desired for the greatest thread import. I also tally the numbers on each player: Wakefield 2 votes to bring back (he'll obviously take a one year deal)               1 vote to let go Vtek        2 votes to bring back (either way I'm happy is a yea vote)               1 vote to let go Ortiz       3 votes to brink back (7-10M good year end numbers is a yea vote)              0 votes to let go Papelbon  0 votes to bring back               3 votes to let go Drew       0 vote to brink back              3 votes to let go Cameron  0 vote to brink back              3 votes to let go Note: I'm going to put the poster names by the players they want back for 2012 Also, any vacillating about market cost or "what the rotation looks like when the snow falls"  is a no vote. This isn't a thread where your views are evolving until after the next election. Leave the fence to politicians.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Drew - No
    We need a more consistent "offensive" RF who can hit all pitchers pretty well.

Cameron - No

Wakefield?  If Theo can insert five solid staters, I'm ok with Wake as #6

Papi? Yes but not long term

Jason? No Salty will have learned enough and it's time for Lavarnway.  Having a guy who can catch or DH is like having Victor back with a strong arm if he continues to hit.

Pap? I reserve my judgement until after this years stretch and post season run.

Forgot Scutaro? Yes Only if Lowrie is traded, or Iglesias isn't ready

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

sindarin has been banned from this thread. If he comes back as himself, I suggest you put him on ignore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

With few exceptions, players reach a point where their skills diminish after the age of 35 unless they keep themselves in excellent shape all year long.
    Many times it's better to cut ties with a player a year too soon than a year too late.   Theo can't use sentimentality in the case of Wakefield, Varitek, and Ortiz.
    No more than 1-year for either.
    In the case of Papelbon, he's said he wants top closer money which means at least $15M per year for at least 3 years.   No home team discount for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Wake:  Depends on the rest of the 2011 season.  If he keeps pitching like he has as a starter this season, you have to consider bringing him back.  This is also dependant on the performances of Miller and Aceves.  Ideally Aceves is slotted for the pen with Miller lighting it up as a starter.  It's far too early to make a call on this one, but right now I'd offer Wake a 1 year deal without a promise of a starting job.  

Tek:  Another tough call.  If Lavarnway keeps going without missing a beat in AAA, he will warrant consideration for the backup catcher role, catching about 40% of games and DHing once a week.  Personally, I see Tek coming back on a 1 year deal while Lavarnway's defense continues to develop in AAA, with Lavarnway getting the call should an injury occur.

Papi:  Bring him back at 2 years, $26M.  Again, this assumes sustained production through the 2011 season.

Cam/Drew:  They're gone.

Scut:  Decline the club option.  If he picks up his player option, he's the back up who you look to trade away.

Paps:  Honestly it depends on the market, which should be depressed given the volume of closers out there this off season.  I have a ceiling of 3 years $35M / 4 years $40M.  He wants Mo money, but isn't worthy of a $15M a year long term deal.  Paps is able to claim victory by surpassing Mo's 4 year, $39.99M deal he signed with the Yanks in 2001.

*** All thoughts and opinions contained within this post are subject to change based on performances during the remainder of the 2011 season. ***

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Cameron, Scutaro, and Drew are gone. Varitek 50/50. Wake and Ortiz are definite. Papelbon it comes down to money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

BRING THEM ALL BACK

TEAM NEEDS LEADERSHP

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wakefield - Yes, no question.

V-Tek - Yes, as the back-up

Ortiz - Yes, even if just to keep the Yanks for him.

Drew - No, we need a RH'd bat or someone who hits lefties well.

Cameron - No, give his slot to a kid.

Papelbon - No, not at the price he will command and get. Only Mo was worth that kind of money.

Scutaro- No, it's time for Iglesias and Navarro to get their shot (Jed as the utility IF'er)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To the "editor":

Ortiz - only if he doesn't tank in the 2nd half and the price and duration is right (1 yr, 7 - 10 M) so they can eat the contract if necessary.  As much as I am a Papi fan, it limits flexibility to have a full term DH that cannot play the field.

This should be a no vote by your criteria. Are you moving the goalposts for others now?

Also, any vacillating about "comes down to the money" or "market cost" or "what the rotation looks like when the snow falls"  is a no vote. "50/50" is a maybe vote and thus, a no vote. "At least 50/50 is a yes vote. This isn't a thread where your views are evolving until after the next election. Leave the fence to politicians.

Papi will get more than $10M/yr, and his comments about a DH who can play the field, shows more "no" than "yes", or at least mimicking your 50-50 fence sitting on AGon being dealt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield - Yes, no question. V-Tek - Yes, as the back-up Ortiz - Yes,even if just to keep the Yanks for him. Drew - No, we need a RH'd bat or someone who hits lefties well. Cameron - No, give his slot to a kid. Papelbon - No, not at the price he will command and get. Only Mo was worth that kind of money. Scutaro- No, it's time for Iglesias and Navarro to get their shot (Jed as the utility IF'er)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'll be planning Burrito's two-week hiatus next year. Bet he's glad he didn't wager his left eye.                       

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Wake; YES;1 year;  This year he proved why he is so valuable to this team.He will be a #6 though. No starting job unless injuries arise like this year. If he breaks the record this year, than he should retire.

TEK;  YES; 1year deal 2mil..I think Lavarnway should at least start in AAA next year and come up for an injury. he still needs more defensive work..

Papi; 2 years 20mil + incentives to bring it to 12mil per

Cam/Drew; Seeeeeya!!!!

Scutaro; My guess is that they will not pick up his option and Navarro will be utility next year. Depending on how Iggys bat does the rest of the year and into next year will decide his spot. Not sure what Lowries job will end up being.

Paps; Tough call..If the market is paying high, I would pass..If you can get him for say 3yrs 36mil with a 4th option..If not, say hello to Bard/Jenks in 2012..those 2 names doesnt sound too reassuring to me..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I believe some of the veteran regulars here do become FA's next year.

Moon: Bring him back at the right price - with a clause that he must not personally attend any games for three years.

Softy: No. Unless he takes a course in CRAWBURY and serves as Wake's butler for 3 months

Harness: Conflict of interest. I demand my Captain stripes and a nifty negotiating fee.

Zilla: Yes, if he can stay positive for 3 posts in a row.

Spaceman: Yes. A no-brainer. But Yoshi must be part of this deal.

Pike: No way in hell. Not even if he talks baseball once a month.

Summer: Yes. His longevity rivals Wake's.

Others have to be here 5 years or more w/o a ban to qualify for Free Agency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Softy must be looking forward to this: Becoming Wake's butler (and booster), and joining Rev Al's posse at a time when Al is repenting for being recalcitrant. ( I believe I shall be booted for this and end up in the recycling canister).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why?:
    [QUOTE]Softy must be looking forward to this: Becoming Wake's butler (and booster), and joining Rev Al's posse at a time when Al is repenting for being recalcitrant. ( I believe I shall be booted for this and end up in the recycling canister).
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I hope not. You do qualify for forum FA - but the rules must be altered to accommodate your allegiance.

Of course, if you are reborn...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I forgot Andrewbitch. The board shall decide his fate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Red Sox Veteran FA Class: Who do you want back? Why? Who does Theo want back? Why? : Looks like I'll be planning Burrito's two-week hiatus next year. Bet he's glad he didn't wager his left eye.                       
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I nearly forgot... and I don't want to forget this wager.... especially because I am going to win.... 2 of 3 will be gone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield - Yes, no question. V-Tek - Yes, as the back-up Ortiz - Yes, even if just to keep the Yanks for him. Drew - No, we need a RH'd bat or someone who hits lefties well. Cameron - No, give his slot to a kid. Papelbon - No, not at the price he will command and get. Only Mo was worth that kind of money. Scutaro- No, it's time for Iglesias and Navarro to get their shot (Jed as the utility IF'er)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Just curious moonslav,

I can tell you are a huge Jason supporter but if you feel its time for Navarro and Iglesias to get their chance "which I agree with" even though Iglesias has yet to prove himself offensively.  Why should we re-sign Jason? 

Lavarnway continues to hit everyone and we already know he has a stronger and more accuarate arm than Salty or Jason by what he has already accomplished.  His catching skills are also pretty good according to most reports.  By seasons end Salty will have had more than enough time around Jason to learn our staff and hitters around the league.  I would rather our team become younger and better at every available position.  Lavarnway could C or DH and save us Jasons salary to use elsewhere.