2012 smart moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

2012 smart moves

Seems to me that the smart moves left after the Scuttaro deal are to use Iglesias out of the gate because as has been mentioned AAA doesn't help players offensively all that much and he will be a huge improvement defensively.
    Then trade Youklis durring spring training and bring middlebrooks up now for same reason he is ready... sure another couple months might be good but he will be fine.
    Third spend the savings on a decent pitcher. Oswalt maybe but Floyd is fine or someone else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2012 smart moves

While we didn't get an expensive RF'er, it's hard to not imagine a nice upgrade from our 2011 RF numbers:

Sox RF '11:                .233/.299/.353/.652
    Career
    Ross vs LHPs:          .282/.349/.563/.912
    Ross vs RHPs:          .253/.313/.414/.727
    Sweeney vs RHPs:  .296/.352/.402/.754

Is it unrealistic to project an OPS of .800-.825 combined?
    We could even see a 200 point gain here for about $4M above the cost of Reddick/DMac.

Good job Ben!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And that offensive upgrade in all likelihood more than makes up for the offensive downgrade at SS, even if Iglesias is the starter from day one.  At least it is somewhat of a wash, and for the highest scoring offense in baseball, that is not bad.

Now Ben needs to get Floyd or Oswalt.  But he has to do that without shipping Youk out.  Youk is too valuable to the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 smart moves:
    [QUOTE]And that offensive upgrade in all likelihood more than makes up for the offensive downgrade at SS, even if Iglesias is the starter from day one.  At least it is somewhat of a wash, and for the highest scoring offense in baseball, that is not bad. Now Ben needs to get Floyd or Oswalt.  But he has to do that without shipping Youk out.  Youk is too valuable to the offense.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

In theory, if we gain 200 points in RF, we could afford to lose 200 points at SS, meaning anything over .530 by Iggy would be a plus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I wonder if the theory that you play better when you have better competition would be true for Iggy?  Wouldn't being around really good hitters ie...gonzo, youk help him more than hanging around want to be's in the minors?  Moon and many others love the numbers it's obvious and they are always interesting and are a great snapshot but I am a firm believer that you got to get them into playing situations and that would mean put him in the lineup and hope that something from someone rubs off.  Wasn't Brady a backup at Mich?  If we just looked at numbers where would the Pats be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Iggy--"If not now when" this is the perfect time to give him this opportunity. What's the worst case scenario--they find out in a month he needs more seasoning or pleasant surprise, he's another Elvis Andrus in the making and he becomes a fixture.

I am in hopes they can get Gavin Floyd--he makes more financial sense than Garza. If they then can swing the right prospects to Houston for Wandy or just decide in ST Cook, Padilla, or our own Alex Wilson is the 5 th or 6 th starter.

There is always that chance--arb doesn't work for Ortiz and the Sox cut him loose--opening the DH slot for Youk or Lav. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]While we didn't get an expensive RF'er, it's hard to not imagine a nice upgrade from our 2011 RF numbers: Sox RF '11:                .233/.299/.353/.652 Career Ross vs LHPs:           .282/.349/.563/.912 Ross vs RHPs:          .253/.313/.414/.727 Sweeney vs RHPs:   .296/.352/.402/.754 Is it unrealistic to project an OPS of .800-.825 combined? We could even see a 200 point gain here for about $4M above the cost of Reddick/DMac. Good job Ben!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Ross' numbers against lefites just amaze me...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Now, cutting loose Papi $ and moving Youk to DH is a great idea. Youk is a much better hitter. About bringing up iggy, if he were that great he'd be here by now. So, he may be playing opening day but I am thinking he's purely an defenssive type of guy. 

Really, what I am thinking is they traded two SS (Jed/Scute) this off season so they must have some bigger plans ahead for us.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to 2012 smart moves:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me that the smart moves left after the Scuttaro deal are to use Iglesias out of the gate because as has been mentioned AAA doesn't help players offensively all that much and he will be a huge improvement defensively. Then trade Youklis durring spring training and bring middlebrooks up now for same reason he is ready... sure another couple months might be good but he will be fine. Third spend the savings on a decent pitcher. Oswalt maybe but Floyd is fine or someone else.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]ANOTHER  B I N G O !!!!  THE CODY ROSS SIGNING IS/WILL BE GOOD TOO !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 smart moves : Ross' numbers against lefites just amaze me...
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

His .563 Slg% is more than Papi has had for an overall Slg% since 2007!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Now, cutting loose Papi $ and moving Youk to DH is a great idea. Youk is a much better hitter. About bringing up iggy, if he were that great he'd be here by now. So, he may be playing opening day but I am thinking he's purely an defenssive type of guy.  Really, what I am thinking is they traded two SS (Jed/Scute) this off season so they must have some bigger plans ahead for us.  
    Posted by proftom[/QUOTE]

They have no money to get another SS.  The Sox should go with Aviles/Punto at least until Iglesias is out of the Super Two zone.  If those two and/or Iglesias end in tears they can go after someone else mid-season.

And while I like Scutaro and have defended him/his acquisition for two years, let's not pretend he's Luis Aparicio....he's a utility infielder much like Aviles and Punto only a lot older and more expensive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How hard is it to improve over David Jonathan Drew ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]Re: Iggy--"If not now when" this is the perfect time to give him this opportunity. What's the worst case scenario--they find out in a month he needs more seasoning or pleasant surprise, he's another Elvis Andrus in the making and he becomes a fixture. I am in hopes they can get Gavin Floyd--he makes more financial sense than Garza. If they then can swing the right prospects to Houston for Wandy or just decide in ST Cook, Padilla, or our own Alex Wilson is the 5 th or 6 th starter. There is always that chance--arb doesn't work for Ortiz and the Sox cut him loose--opening the DH slot for Youk or Lav. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I keep seeing people say something along these lines.  My understanding is that if they cut Ortiz, they owe him the money, like any other signed player.  The arbitration decision is not optional.  You pay him what is decided, and the arbiter can only choose from the two choices, in this case $12.75 million or $16 million.  If they Sox lose, they MUST pay the $16 million.  They cannot cut him.  At least that is my understanding and I have never seen a player cut after an arbitration decision.  Nor have I seen a player who loses suddenly opt for free agency (the comparable of a team cutting him if they lose).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 smart moves : I keep seeing people say something along these lines.  My understanding is that if they cut Ortiz, they owe him the money, like any other signed player.  The arbitration decision is not optional.  You pay him what is decided, and the arbiter can only choose from the two choices, in this case $12.75 million or $16 million.  If they Sox lose, they MUST pay the $16 million.  They cannot cut him.  At least that is my understanding and I have never seen a player cut after an arbitration decision.  Nor have I seen a player who loses suddenly opt for free agency (the comparable of a team cutting him if they lose).
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

The arb decision is nonguaranteed. The team may cut the player and just owe a small fraction of the deal. Someone posted the rule. I can't remember it being done to any start before, but I heard it was one reason VTek famously passed on the arb process with the Sox, and lost out on millions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 smart moves : The arb decision is nonguaranteed. The team may cut the player and just owe a small fraction of the deal. Someone posted the rule. I can't remember it being done to any start before, but I heard it was one reason VTek famously passed on the arb process with the Sox, and lost out on millions.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, I did not know that.  Seems unfair to the player unless he gets the same option to void the decision and become a free agent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

In Response to 2012 smart moves:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me that the smart moves left after the Scuttaro deal are to use Iglesias out of the gate because as has been mentioned AAA doesn't help players offensively all that much and he will be a huge improvement defensively. Then trade Youklis durring spring training and bring middlebrooks up now for same reason he is ready... sure another couple months might be good but he will be fine. Third spend the savings on a decent pitcher. Oswalt maybe but Floyd is fine or someone else.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

You are fast forwarding Middlebrook by an entire season. He needs the full season with PawSox with a possible audition in September. If Youk was to be hurt in ST, Punto would be the 3b not Middlebrook. Youk has little to no trade value as his big contract years are here and he has been hurt 2 straight seasons.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The cutting Ortiz if he gets his asking price in arbitration is predicated on the idea that Ortiz gets off to one of his infamous slow starts.  If by mid May, for instance (6 weeks or so into the season), he is hitting below the Mendoza line, the Sox cut him, bring up Lav and have him DH, and save millions. 

Problem is, that does not help the Sox now, in regards to adding Garza, Floyd, Jackson or Oswalt.  And signing one of them with the hope that they can cut Ortiz in May is out of the question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Start watching the waiver wire:

Rays Designate Justin Ruggiano For Assignment

IMO he is a better player than McDonald.

DFA's should start showing up again soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 smart moves : moon was right as to what he said but I believe his release has to be because of BB reasons not money then again it wouldn't be the 1st time that the sox have broken   the spirit of the rules
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about not the first time the Sox have broken the spirit of the rules, but to be fair, all teams have done that.  Not just in baseball, but all sports.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Start watching the waiver wire: Rays Designate Justin Ruggiano For Assignment IMO he is a better player than McDonald. DFA's should start showing up again soon.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I think DMac might've been our third best hitter in the second half, or something like that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DMac hits LHPs real well too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon was right as to what he said

but I believe his release has to be because of BB reasons not money

then again it wouldn't be the 1st time that the sox have broken

the spirit of the rules

"BB reasons" is pretty vague. Is wanting to clear room so you can sign Oswalt and trade for Floyd a good enough "baseball reason"?

... cutting Ortiz if he gets his asking price in arbitration is predicated on the idea that Ortiz gets off to one of his infamous slow starts.  If by mid May, for instance (6 weeks or so into the season), he is hitting below the Mendoza line, the Sox cut him, bring up Lav and have him DH, and save millions.  

I think the only time you can cut an arb player is in ST. I could be wrong.