2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

Yes, it's a small part of the season, but a big part of the WS.

I'd love Fielder here, The NL Park is not a big deterrent, but it does matter some.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

If Ortiz played in Yankee stadium he would have hit moonshots. There is no doubt he would have hit 60 homers that one year, and even 40+ multiple times, maybe even 50.

Also Iglesias won't DH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions:
    [QUOTE]If Ortiz played in Yankee stadium he would have hit moonshots. There is no doubt he would have hit 60 homers that one year, and even 40+ multiple times, maybe even 50. Also Iglesias won't DH.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, but I do think pitchers would pitch him differently in Yankee stadium.

I do NOT want to see Papi in NY. We should overpay so that does not happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump to the top

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]CA, SS, and RF are the only positions they can toy with in the off-season. If the Red Sox win the WS now than Tek gets another year, as does Ortiz. Otherwise both will be gone with the DH spot becoming a rest stop for Youk and others... and a CA with an arm and pop will be acquired one way or the other. Hey moon do you think that the Red Sox believe a starter should only go 6? Seems they are moving backwards on this as starters should be trained and strong enough to pitch 7 every time.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Papi, Wake, Pap, Tek and a fifth starter will be the main topics of discussion.  Everything else is pretty much cut and dry outside of maybe a couple tweaks in the pen and a RF bat other than McD.

Scutaro and Drew out, Lowrie, Aviles, Iglesias, Reddick and Kalish in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Lowrie and Ellsbury should be out, Middlebrooks up, Kemp or similar profile in, Reddick and Kalish up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions : Papi, Wake, Pap, Tek and a fifth starter will be the main topics of discussion.  Everything else is pretty much cut and dry outside of maybe a couple tweaks in the pen and a RF bat other than McD. Scutaro and Drew out, Lowrie, Aviles, Iglesias, Reddick and Kalish in.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Well, if Scutty takes the player option ($3M), I dount Theo will pay the $1.5M buyout to cut him loose. In effect, Theo would be turning Scutty down at a $1.5M differential. Of course, we could trade Scutty if he was at $3M.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moonslav59 perhaps the one spot offensively/defensively the team can tinker with is SS. I think unless Elles is traded that RF should be a battle between Kalish/Reddick as CF and LF are locked.  IS Kalish of reasonable ability to play in right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd like to ad there should be NO SHAME on Lowries part or his supporters should he simply be the 4th infielder. He is an excellent back-up and if he would just stay healthy Tito would find plenty of playing time for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Reddick and Kalish are both more than capable RF'ers on defense. The problem is they are bot lefties. We'd then have 4 lefty OF'ers. I think one will be traded. It won't be Crawford due to his salary. It could be Ellsbury, if Theo knows he will not re-sign him. I think it will be Reddick or Kalish (probably Kalish), and Theo will sign a low cost, decent fielding RF'er with very good splits vs LHPs.

Yes, SS is a position that can be improved upon both on offense or defense or both.

We could also upgrade pitching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to ad there should be NO SHAME on Lowries part or his supporters should he simply be the 4th infielder. He is an excellent back-up and if he would just stay healthy Tito would find plenty of playing time for him.

I agree, even though he does not fit the traditional utility IF'er MO. Usually they are great defenders. 

Jed can also be a PH'er vs LHPs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I see that but Youk is above average, Pedroia is very good, and a new SS with a great glove hopefully can be had... this just leaves Lowrie to fill in as adequate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, and normally you want a defensive guy to bring in when ahead to rest your starters. However, I'm fine with Jed as the sub and possible longterm injury replacement player. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I wonder how Frank Duffy, Stan Papi, and Ed Jurak were with the glove?  SurprisedTongue outWink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Burrito, I do think there is a strong chance Theo tries to seriously upgrade the SS position, but he could also have Scutaro back at the player option ($3M), and have either Lowrie or Iglesias in the wings. The money not spent on a SS like Reyes (FA) or HanRam (Trade), could be used to upgrade starting pitching, RP, and or RF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thanks for the opinion and info. I do not seek HanRam or Reyes... I just want a Gold Glover who on the offense side can at least bunt/run/make things move along.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

if Theo knows he will not re-sign him

You can't be serious? There is no way Theo's going to get authority to add Ellsbury past FA years on top of Crawford. No way! Theo knows he isn't going to extend or sign Ellsbury past FA, making that decision when he foolishly decided to obligate 142M to Crawford. And despite your claims, they are the same type of player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

You take Drew's salary that would no longer be there and put it towards Ellsbury. I know that might seem overly simplistic, but it's a start. They already said they'd pay the luxury tax ( very non-tea-baggger of them btw ) if they had to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]You take Drew's salary that would no longer be there and put it towards Ellsbury. I know that might seem overly simplistic, but it's a start. They already said they'd pay the luxury tax ( very non-tea-baggger of them btw ) if they had to.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

It's highly unlikely a Bora$$ client will extend before the big FA payday. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes - of course none of us know but it is my firm opinion Ellesbury is as good as gone. Will they wait until the last minute or be bold and move him this very off-season?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Burrito, I do think there is a strong chance Theo tries to seriously upgrade the SS position,   but he could also have Scutaro back at the player option ($3M), and have either Lowrie or Iglesias in the wings. The money not spent on a SS like Reyes (FA) or HanRam (Trade), could be used to upgrade starting pitching, RP, and or RF.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Scutaro has been making a case for the Sox to pick up his option.  He's getting up there in age, but I haven't seen any signs of decline.  I believe they picked up Avilas for the sole purpose of having another option as well as a potential super-utility player.

I think the injury history for Lowrie is really starting to raise some eyebrows within the organization as to whether or not he can be a reliable utility infielder.  Having Aviles on the roster allows them to have 3 guys with the ability to play SS which is turning out to be very very valuable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$6M is a lot for Scutaro at his age. I think they may hope he comes back at the $3M player option, but he can get $1.5M from the buyout if he says no. So, if he can get more than $1.5M from another team, he'll make more elsewhere. I don't think he will be back. Theo will go with Aviles, Lowrie and Iglesias. I do not see him making a play for Reyes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]$6M is a lot for Scutaro at his age. I think they may hope he comes back at the $3M player option, but he can get $1.5M from the buyout if he says no. So, if he can get more than $1.5M from another team, he'll make more elsewhere. I don't think he will be back. Theo will go with Aviles, Lowrie and Iglesias. I do not see him making a play for Reyes.

I know but Iglesias isn't ready yet.  He's gotta learn how to hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I disagree. He will take away more hits on defense than Aviles/Lowrie will hit on offense.

People think this is the era of the hitting SS, but there are still many teams with very low SS production:

Team SS OPS:
    TB   .567
    Atl  .570
    Wa .585
    SF  .597
    SD  .600
    Mil  .610
    MN  .615
    Cin  .616
    KC   .621
    Pitt .622
    Oak .628
    StL  .635
    LAD .644
    Sea .646
    Tex .652
    Hou .670
    LAA .678
    AZ   .699
    NYY .704
    Bos  .707
    Fla   .713
    CWS .723
    Phil   .742
    Bal   .748
    Tor    .762
    Cubs .781
    Det   .790
    NYM  .809
    Clev  .836
    Colo  .911

Iglesias has a .612 OPS in the minors overall (.511 in AAA this year).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree. He will take away more hits on defense than Aviles/Lowrie will hit on offense. People think this is the era of the hitting SS, but there are still many teams with very low SS production: Team SS OPS: TB   .567 Atl  .570 Wa .585 SF  .597 SD  .600 Mil  .610 MN  .615 Cin  .616 KC   .621 Pitt .622 Oak .628 StL  .635 LAD .644 Sea .646 Tex .652 Hou .670 LAA .678 AZ   .699 NYY .704 Bos  .707 Fla   .713 CWS .723 Phil   .742 Bal   .748 Tor    .762 Cubs .781 Det   .790 NYM  .809 Clev  .836 Colo  .911 Iglesias has a .612 OPS in the minors overall (.511 in AAA this year).
    Theo is not the GM of any of those teams. When he looks at the SS, he likes to see a bat standing there. Maybe he'll change his mind for Iglesias, but don't bet the Ming vase on it.