2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

Well, I guess that means Reyes then.

Tulo isn't going anywhere. 
    HanRam will be in the OF before long.
    Asdrubal Cabrera isn't either.
    Peralta is not "the guy".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Or maybe they leave Iglesias in the minors for another season to continue grooming.  Pick up Scutaro's option and perhaps him or Lowrie at the deadline next year if Iglesias turns out to be Major League ready.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

At SS another year of Scutaro/Lowrie works for me.  

While I agree Crawford makes keeping Ellsbury very difficult, I don't think it is impossible, especially with both Drew and Cameron off the payroll in 2012.

What I think is worth discussing, however, is the simple fact that two of the Sox best players and hitters, Pedroia and Youkilis, seem left out in the cold.  Granted, they made their deals and must live with them.  But they are quality players whose salaries are dwarfed by Crawford's.  Heck, JD Drew makes more than either of them. 

Right now I think softy may have a point about racial bias on the part of Theo--he appears not to like short people or Jewish people--and maybe not Navajos.  Kinky, but there it is. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

burrito, I was at an extra-inning win at Anaheim in which the Red Sox batted around to win a game. In the extra frame, Ed Jurak had two hits in the inning. I always wondered if that tied a MLB record for most hits in one extra inning by a player? Bizarro stats, but what the heck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the opinion and info. I do not seek HanRam or Reyes... I just want a Gold Glover who on the offense side can at least bunt/run/make things move along.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I do too, but none are readily available.

Name someone you think we can get.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Or maybe they leave Iglesias in the minors for another season to continue grooming.  Pick up Scutaro's option and perhaps him or Lowrie at the deadline next year if Iglesias turns out to be Major League ready.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I do not think Scutaro is worth the $4.5M differential between his $6M option and the $1.5M buyoutI'd rather apply that money to another high need area and go with Aviles and Iglesias. I have already discussed my great defense-no offense SS theory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions : I do not think Scutaro is worth the $4.5M differential between his $6M option and the $1.5M buyout .  I'd rather apply that money to another high need area and go with Aviles and Iglesias. I have already discussed my great defense-no offense SS theory.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's fair enough.  At some point the Sox are going to have to force Iglesias onto the big league club.  Might as well do what they did with Pedroia and have him fight through the growing pains.  At least he's more than ready from a defensive standpoint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Iglesias doesn't work, Aviles is pretty darn good. Lowrie can alway PH for Iggy if we need a bat late.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

DH: I wish we could get more speed in this position. Power hitters Ortiz and Gonzalez are two of the slowest in the league. Any slower and I'm not sure they'd be considered ambulatory. Ortiz crushes the ball -- right into the shift. For all the extra bases, he hits into a disappointing number of twin-kills, and could scarcely beat out an infield hit to save his life. I'd love to have someone that was fast, had plate discipline, was a threat to steal after drawing walks, and used the entire field for hitting. How many times this year wouldn't we have killed for just a clutch single with the bases loaded / runners in scoring position. I'd happily give up a few doubles for some clutch singles in these situations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi averages 14 GIDP per 162 games. 
    Jim Rice hit into 24.
    When you hit the ball hard, it happenes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

He can't beat the ground balls he hits to first or reach second on the ground balls anyone else hits. I'd gladly take .275 and speed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You really think 14 GIDPs offsets all the run production Papi provides enough to be worse than a .275 guy with speed?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wakefield is the key FA to sign. Going to be hard to stop the Yankees from bidding up the great Wakefield. Only the big market teams can compete for this FA gem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol.  Maybe he can go to Pittsburgh for a year or two. If I were Wake I would want to be in the NL and a pitchers park, or maybe Seattle.  Why stay here when he can lower his era even more in a pitchers paradise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Becuase none of those teams will grossly overpay a 45 year old fat man with a 5 plus ERA over 2 years, that's why. Seattle and Pittsburgh don't want Wakefield for more than a bag of old balls.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I agree, I think he should retire. That said I wish the manager had kept him in a starting role the last couple of years. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslow, lying for you is like Clinton. I never said the Rays would " go away" in 2010. You are lying to save your own embarrassment. As for leadoff, you make a big deal about it. It's not a bid deal. A player only leads off, for sure, one time in a game. Career numbers are not wide enough to be meaningful at all. You're now in a mode where you simply lead a herd of idiots. At one time, you weren't as inclined to ape all the time. Now, becuase you are so clueless on so many issues, you feel the need to protect your ego by arguing for the sake of saving face. "No one has been more wrong than" is intellectually shallow hyperbole. In fact, few have been more out to lunch than you. Popularity is important to you. It means nothing to me. Unless most posters are angry becuase of a comment I've made, I would be a liar. Like you. Fact is that Kemp and Crawford is greater than Ellsbury and Crawford. And the fact is that Ellsbury and Crawford are the same type of player. You catonically saying otherwise is a complete reversal. Absurd to pay Crawford 142M if true intention was to extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA. It won't happen now, that's for sure. NL isn't AAAA. See Giants and Phillies. As for Kemp, this stupid board was claiming AGon wasn't going to be trade over the spring because of ticket sales. You are the same dimwit who claimed Twins coudn't afford Mauer. Don't even talk to me about trades. You don't have a clue who was on the table in past trades. And you don't have a clue about Kemp's availability. Bottom line, danny isn't scared to agree that a star slugging young Rh bat would greatly improve an OF that has zilch in that department. If you want to disagree for the sake of attracting a fan club, don't bother insulting my intelligence. And knock off the juvenile delinquent "clown" name calling. You are a dim wit who has never done anything but seek crowd approval.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

your INTELLIGENCE?ha ha ha ha  you are a CLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]He can't beat the ground balls he hits to first or reach second on the ground balls anyone else hits. I'd gladly take .275 and speed.
    Posted by lasitter[/QUOTE]

What?  Have you even been watching the games this week?  Ortiz has been beastly!  Last night another bomb and another crucial RBI single, smoked to left field...speed shmeed...Ortiz's bat is a big part of why we we're on pace for 100 wins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]lol.  Maybe he can go to Pittsburgh for a year or two. If I were Wake I would want to be in the NL and a pitchers park, or maybe Seattle.  Why stay here when he can lower his era even more in a pitchers paradise.

I think Wake enjoys it here in Boston. He likes to win.

That being said, I think the Marlins would be a good landing spot. He's from Florida and pitches well in the heat and humidty. Atlanta is a possibility. Texas? I do think his ERA would improve in these places, but Wake knows that ERA is not the true measure of a pitcher's value and skillset.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Wake can still pitch, plain and simple.  If he wants to continue playing, he'll have a job next year.  Whether that job is with the Sox remains to be seen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's some cherry-pickin'..

Wake's ERA on...
    4/19: 6.10
    5/7:   5.73
    7/25: 5.15
    8/1:   4.99
    8/12: 4.92

5 of Wake's last 6 starts have been 3 or less ERs allowed.

The Sox are 6-1 in Wake's last 7 starts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

[QUOTE]You really think 14 GIDPs offsets all the run production Papi provides enough to be worse than a .275 guy with speed?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Ortiz: 5th in GIDP @ 18

And yes, I REALLY like speed.  I'd love to have someone like Peedy at DH. Young, not so many HRs but good averages, can draw a walk, constant threat to steal, and scores easily on a single from 2nd.

Every time I see David "Gunned down at the plate" Ortiz on second, I cringe.

Every time he comes up with the bases loaded and less than two out I'm hoping that if he doesn't walk he at least strikes out so that someone else can get runs across. But that's really not fair, since he's much worst with runners at first and third or second and third: (.188/.176)

Gotta Love It

He has performed well in the past, and is a positive force in the clubhouse, but any time I mention those characteristics about Wake and Tek I get raked over the coals. He otherwise has had some horrific slumps, and can also be viewed as a fat, old, slow juicer with his best years behind him.

Peedy has been more of a clutch hitter, it would at least appear for this year.

Since Ortiz has performed well in his "walk" year I think we should offer him a one-year extension for $9-$12 million -- absolutely nothing in terms of expensive multi-year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, name a FA speester you want Theo to sign this winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, I think he should retire. That said I wish the manager had kept him in a starting role the last couple of years. 

LMFAO...you really do know that Wakefield is an asset. This says it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'll be real with Tim. My guess is he will retire a Red Sox even if he feels he can pitch a few more years. Wakefield wants to win another WS and loves being on a winning team and a team that delivers offense. I don't think he would extend his career with a NL team unless it was a contending NL team. Still, he probably prides himself on his longevity with the Sox organization and maybe wants to start fishing and doing family activities. I'm sure he wants the records too. With that said, I'm betting he will retire if the Sox don't offer him. He will retire a Red Sox one way or the other.