2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions

I am leaning towards agreeing with you on this danny. However, if Wake finishes strong and feelslike he wants to keep pitching, he may go elsewhere if Theo snubs him. It's not about the money with Wake: it never has been. It's about having fun and enjoying helping a team win. I'm sure the Sox going 11-5 in his starts (6-1 his last 7) has made him really enjoy this season so far.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

If it wasn't about the money then Wakefield would be satisfied with his 50 plus million made and play for expenses. It's about the money and foolish pride for a 45 year old goofball pitcher.

As the best of the 2 plus year 5 plus ERA starters, on teams with inferior starters, expect a huge FA bidding war for the great value Tim Wakefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Sox Payroll and Big Decisions:
    [QUOTE]So, name a FA speester you want Theo to sign this winter.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]1) Not my job, and
    2) Almost anyone is faster than Ortiz, including some internal talent.

The biggest point is that we shouldn't overpay for past performance in a multi-year contract.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

look dcater I say he should retire this winter.... don't ridicule me because I think a 45 year old pitcher should retire. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]A lifetime 2 million a year contract? Ted Williams never got that. Maybe I misunderstood you, but Varitek 2 million a year rest of his life. Come on.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

If you are talking to me: no. Not $2M a year, but maybe $2M/1 year deal then another $2M total for the rest of his life. If he plays the 2nd year, so be it, if not, he coaches for more 10-15 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What if I told you that Jacoby has run into more outs plus GIDPs this year than Papi has GIDP plus running into outs on the basepaths?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Becuase none of those teams will grossly overpay a 45 year old fat man with a 5 plus ERA over 2 years, that's why. Seattle and Pittsburgh don't want Wakefield for more than a bag of old balls.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

This from one who accuses others of bigotry...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If bidding wars are the mark of a great player, then who's the best MLB today? Tex? Crawford? ____ ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

crickets

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Not counting on Matsuzaka after surgery until at least July if at all.     Wait and see with the back of Buchholz.    Will Kyle Weiland progress ?     If Papelbon elects free agency which is likely, Bard is the closer.     Who replaces Bard ?    Ryan Madson will be expensive and Philly will go all out to keep him.
    Iglesias can field well but can he hit ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Papelbon leaves, we should have "freed up money" to replace him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]look dcater I say he should retire this winter.... don't ridicule me because I think a 45 year old pitcher should retire. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    I hardly think I was ridiculing you, twice-grilled, you made a comment about thinking he should never have been sent to the bullpen, that he belonged as a SP. I was agreeing with you. As for retiring someone based solely on age, I might suggest you read about the laws regarding age discrimination. You are among many who feel that age supercedes performance at the job. It's pretty discriminating if you ask me. I like 21-year-old phenoms, but if they can't pitch out of the 3rd inning, I like my chances with a guy who consistently goes 7 or even 8 innings at age 45.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's the age limit for old coots who post senile rants... like softy?

He should retire from this forum.

His QP% is down close to nil.

(QP% = Quality Post Perecent)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

*old coot*...softy is Tim Wakefield's evil twin, the bearded Spock. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice starts by Lester and Bedard today. Maybe Bedard will be back next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]If Papelbon leaves, we should have "freed up money" to replace him.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Do you think there's a chance that the demand for him is low around MLB?  I feel like teams are starting to go the same route with closers as they are with DH's.  There's no point in overpaying for them.

That being said, where do you realistically see Papelbon landing?  My best bet would be a team like the White Sox.  Maybe the Mets but I can't see them going down that road again after what happened with K-Rod (granted the signing wasn't a total bust).

What if the demand is just so low that the price is driven down to the point where it becomes a bargain for the Red Sox?  I still wouldn't go more than 2 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you think there's a chance that the demand for him is low around MLB?  I feel like teams are starting to go the same route with closers as they are with DH's.  There's no point in overpaying for them.

After reading Money Ball, I began to feel that way. I'm not trying to say a closer is not valuable. Losing Papelbon could set us back a long way. I just can't see paying $45M/3 or more for anyone except maybe Mo in his prime.

That being said, where do you realistically see Papelbon landing?  My best bet would be a team like the White Sox.  Maybe the Mets but I can't see them going down that road again after what happened with K-Rod (granted the signing wasn't a total bust).

Maybe the Mets or a surprise team like Totonto or Baltimore trying to stick it to the Sox.

What if the demand is just so low that the price is driven down to the point where it becomes a bargain for the Red Sox?  I still wouldn't go more than 2 years.

I'd go $35-37M/3.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think there's a chance that the demand for him is low around MLB?  I feel like teams are starting to go the same route with closers as they are with DH's.  There's no point in overpaying for them. After reading Money Ball , I began to feel that way. I'm not trying to say a closer is not valuable. Losing Papelbon could set us back a long way. I just can't see paying $45M/3 or more for anyone except maybe Mo in his prime. That being said, where do you realistically see Papelbon landing?  My best bet would be a team like the White Sox.  Maybe the Mets but I can't see them going down that road again after what happened with K-Rod (granted the signing wasn't a total bust). Maybe the Mets or a surprise team like Totonto or Baltimore trying to stick it to the Sox. What if the demand is just so low that the price is driven down to the point where it becomes a bargain for the Red Sox?  I still wouldn't go more than 2 years. I'd go $35-37M/3.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I can honestly see the demand going even lower.  3 years/$30M?  If that's the asking price of the market then I believe it would take something like 2 years/$24M to avoid going that extra year.  I just don't see many teams coveting Papelbon more than the Sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, you might be right.

Last winter these guys were signed:
    Rivera  $30M/2
    Soriano $35M/3
    Benoit $16.5M/3
    Downs $15M/3
    Putz  $10M/2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m