2012 World Series Thread: Detroit Tigers vs. San Francisco Giants

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: 2012 World Series Thread: Detroit Tigers vs. San Francisco Giants

What the heck are you doing up monsieur...And you are right...One of those extremely rare mistakes on my part...Even the earth gets hit by an asteroid every dozen millenia...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What the heck are you doing up monsieur...And you are right...One of those extremely rare mistakes on my part...Even the earth gets hit by an asteroid every dozen millenia...

[/QUOTE]

Early riser, and since I'm now back in Maine it's 5 AM here. I find it very refreshing to post when pike's not around. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I see, monsieur...I am not an early riser tonight...Rather a late stayer-upper....Been working on my theological magnum opus and doing some Green Party stuff online....But check this out, my bluegrass master performer.  It takes a little bit of the sting out of the Yankees collapse for me (in addition to the long-shot possibility that they wise up, flummox all the usual MLB pundits who say it won't happen, abuse some substances, and sign Josh Hamilton as a desperation keep-those-seats-filled move):

Tigers' lack of offense reaching historic levels:

First AL team to be shut out in consecutive Series games since 1919 White Sox

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121025&content_id=40041396&vkey=news_det&c_id=det

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

I see, monsieur...I am not an early riser tonight...Rather a late stayer-upper....Been working on my theological magnum opus and doing some Green Party stuff online....But check this out, my bluegrass master performer.  It takes a little bit of the sting out of the Yankees collapse for me (in addition to the long-shot possibility that they wise up, flummox all the usual MLB pundits who say it won't happen, abuse some substances, and sign Josh Hamilton as a desperation keep-those-seats-filled move):

Tigers' lack of offense reaching historic levels:

First AL team to be shut out in consecutive Series games since 1919 White Sox

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121025&content_id=40041396&vkey=news_det&c_id=det

[/QUOTE]

And the Giants are the first team to throw consecutive shutouts since the 1966 Orioles. So are the Greens running anyone for President this year? I think I need someone to vote for besides the two mainstream candidates. And I'm not really sure Hamilton could handle NYC, I could see him getting in a lot of trouble there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Jill Stein...She's a medical doctor with a lot of community organizing experience...I have met her twice, and she is the real deal, proposing a modern day version of FDR's New Deal....People will mock this, saying the federal budget cannot afford same, but that is because they buy into the current  tax structure where the one percent and big corporations pay almost no taxes.....

http://www.gp.org/GreenNewDeal/

http://www.gp.org/index.php

Obviously, this will not happen any day soon. It will take a number of decades before the tide turns, and people see the Republicans and Dems as 2 versions of the same party...But it will happen some day...As my mom used to say (apologies to Bill 806), "God is good"...Or as Bruce Cockburn might opine:

"Struggle for a dollar, scuffle for a dime
    Step out from the past and try to hold the line
    So how come history takes such a long, long time
    When you're waiting for a miracle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFG_3ZpxJ-Q

http://www.lyrics007.com/Bruce%20Cockburn%20Lyrics/Waiting%20For%20A%20Miracle%20Lyrics.html 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'll probably be voting for Ms. Stein then as I already see the Dems and Repubs as two branches of the Plutocrat party. Nice pull on Bruce Cockburn. He hasn't always advocated waiting you know.

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
    Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
    Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
    If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a b!tch would die

If I Had a Rocket Launcher Lyrics

If I Had a Rocket Launcher Vid

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll probably be voting for Ms. Stein then as I already see the Dems and Repubs as two branches of the Plutocrat party. Nice pull on Bruce Cockburn. He hasn't always advocated waiting you know.

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
    Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
    Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
    If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a b!tch would die

If I Had a Rocket Launcher Lyrics

If I Had a Rocket Launcher Vid

[/QUOTE]

Nice, monsieur...Now you have gotten us both banned....Or at least we have earned another 3 months of torment from Softlaw and all the other right-wingers on this site...Hope you are happy...Yay carnie!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Nice, monsieur...Now you have gotten us both banned....Or at least we have earned another 3 months of torment from Softlaw and all the other right-wingers on this site...Hope you are happy...Yay carnie!!!

Just trying to do my part. I figure if I haven't po'd softlaw, Bill-806 and pike in any day I post in OTFB I haven't been trying hard enough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

Just trying to do my part. I figure if I haven't po'd softlaw, Bill-806 and pike in any day I post in OTFB I haven't been trying hard enough.

[/QUOTE]

Love that live version....The original video of Rocket Launcher is also pretty awesome...The video commentary is pretty astute as well....When I listen to it with head phones, I still get spinal chills....Check it out, monsieur...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love that live version....The original video of Rocket Launcher is also pretty awesome...The video commentary is pretty astute as well....When I listen to it with head phones, I still get spinal chills....Check it out, monsieur...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFG_3ZpxJ-Q

[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I just love Bruce Cockburn. The first time I ever saw him was on a songwriter's circle on, I think, Austin City Limits. I forget who the other two guys were but they both played some fairly sappy love songs. When it was Bruce's turn he busts out If I Had a Rocket Launcher for his first number, and I thought to myself this guy's all right. While we're on the subject of music here's a video of the guy I think was the best mandolin player who ever lived and a very funny guy to boot.

Jethro Burns at Adler House

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Woops, monsieur...I re-posted the other link...This is the correct one...It was a direct commentary on US-sponsored massacres in El Salvador, Guatemala and elsewhere in Central America...Hundreds of thousands died...And Americans have no clue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Woops, monsieur...I re-posted the other link...This is the correct one...It was a direct commentary on US-sponsored massacres in El Salvador, Guatemala and elsewhere in Central America...Hundreds of thousands died...And Americans have no clue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

[/QUOTE]

Another great video. The history of US involvement in Central and South America is ignominious at best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

OMG, monsieur....Move over Joe Val....Jethro Burns is incredible...Still listening to it...Harpsichord-like...Brilliant stuff for one man and one little stringed instrument....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

OMG, monsieur....Move over Joe Val....Jethro Burns is incredible...Still listening to it...Harpsichord-like...Brilliant stuff for one man and one little stringed instrument....

[/QUOTE]

Wait till he gets Don and John out there with him, you ain't seen nothing yet to quote the great Randy Bachman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Tigers with the bases loaded and one out in the 5th...Did they score...Nope....The aftereffects of the benzo-blockers still showing...This might end up being, Nielsen-wise, the lowest rated WS in history....

[/QUOTE]

The giants pitching has been stellar so far hasn't it? The Red Sox and Yankees FOs must be salivating when they see that rotation.

[/QUOTE]
    Agree with you about the pitching.  Although, I really wanted to see Detroit win this series.  It is extremely unlikely, but not impossible for them to win.  Since the Red Sox did win 4 games in a row it can be accomplished.  It wasn't in the World Series, but still in the playoffs.  I don't like to see the same teams win the World Series that is why I want to see Detroit win.  Same reason that I wanted to see Texas win the last two years they appeared in the World Series.  Especially since Texas still hasn't won the World Series yet.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This Series is reminiscent of the 1966 Series when Baltimore swept the Dodgers by scores of 5-2, 6-0, 1-0 and 1-0.  Domination, great pitching and excruciating boredom.  I have fallen asleep trying to watch all 3 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This Series is reminiscent of the 1966 Series when Baltimore swept the Dodgers by scores of 5-2, 6-0, 1-0 and 1-0.  Domination, great pitching and excruciating boredom.  I have fallen asleep trying to watch all 3 games.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed about the soporific qualities of this WS, akin to this years ALCS...MLB is taking a TV-ratings beating of the worst kind....They might just fix it for the Yanks next year, just  to gain some Nielsen points....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Carnie...To close out our Bruce Cockburn concert, I give you the ONLY song ever written about the one world financial institution most responsible for poverty and depradation worldwide, the US Treasury Department's very own International Monetary Fund....Namely today's Big Bank on the world block that tells countries that if they want loans, they have to downsize their social programs, privatize most government  functions, let big piratical US corporations in to bleed their resources dry, and PAY OFF all the old debt incurred by US sponsored puppet dictators....It is called "Structural Adjustment"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68zccrskOqQ

http://www.globalissues.org/article/3/structural-adjustment-a-major-cause-of-poverty

"Padded with power here they come
    International loan sharks backed by the guns
    Of market hungry military profiteers
    Whose word is a swamp and whose brow is smeared
    With the blood of the poor

Who rob life of its quality
    Who render rage a necessity
    By turning countries into labour camps
    Modern slavers in drag as champions of freedom

Sinister cynical instrument
    Who makes the gun into a sacrament --
    The only response to the deification
    Of tyranny by so-called "developed" nations'
    Idolatry of ideology

North South East West
    Kill the best and buy the rest
    It's just spend a buck to make a buck
    You don't really give a flying f..k
    About the people in misery

IMF dirty MF
    Takes away everything it can get
    Always making certain that there's one thing left
    Keep them on the hook with insupportable debt

See the paid-off local bottom feeders
    Passing themselves off as leaders
    Kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
    Open for business like a cheap bordello

And they call it democracy

See the loaded eyes of the children too
    Trying to make the best of it the way kids do
    One day you're going to rise from your habitual feast
    To find yourself staring down the throat of the beast
    They call the revolution

IMF dirty MF
    Keep them on the hook with insupportable debt."

- Bruce Cockburn (1987)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HMMMM??? Is someone holding a gun to your head to watch ??? Is your idea of a non boring game multiple HRs? Would you be bored if these were Sox pitchers ?  Yesterday up 2-0, Tigers had a man on many times & 2 on & then bases loaded. A key hit at any time could have changed the complexion of the game & series because Giants aren't scoring a lot of runs either.

Mea Culpa for this copy & paste as I posted it elsewhere not realizing this discussion was an ongoing one of the series:

As Sox fan first living in SF Bay area, I like local teams too.  I have hated the Yankees all my life(Lakers too as I'm an avid Celtic fan too)but maybe AROD who batted 3-25, .120 with no RBIs and was pulled might rid himself a bit of the stigma.

Cabrera hit .330/44hr/139 RBis and Fielder .313/30hr/108RBis during the season. They are 3-19 with Cabrera 2-9,.222/1RBi and Fielder 1-10, .100/ no RBis. Amazing that Vegas, as they have the previous 3 games, have Detroit favored and SF is +1 1/2 runs. Maybe they figure the law of averages will kick in but SF has its best pitcher, Cain, going. I'd called it a "Pick Em" at best.

One positive for Detroit is that Verlander, Amer League MVP & Cy Young winner, might be spared the ignominy of 2 losses in the World Series. Hmmmm...something about the Giants having Detroit's number. In Allstar Game Verlander gave up 5 runs in 1st and Sandoval hit a 3 run triple. Cain pitched 2 scoreless innings. Victory gave SF homefield and the 2 home-3 away-2 home format.

Maybe Fielder might change his mind and some Knut Rockne "Rah Rah" couldn't hurt.

I copy and paste: "The Giants held a spirited team meeting when facing elimination in the first round against the Cincinnati Reds. It does not appear their World Series opponent will do the same.  And that talk stuff is for Hoosiers and the movies, and Fielder said "That is not real life." If the Tigers change their mind and look to sports cinema for inspiration, they may want to watch "A Miracle" instead. That, as we Sox fans know, was  the movie they screened before they rallied from a 3-0 deficit against New York in 2004 and the first, last, and only time that has happened in postseason baseball."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Geez, the Tigers got shut out again. 

Barry Zito is suddenly the Barry Zito from 2002.  LOL

Last but not least, Verlander's girlfriend is extremely hot.  LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Geez, the Tigers got shut out again. 

Barry Zito is suddenly the Barry Zito from 2002.  LOL

Last but not least, Verlander's girlfriend is extremely hot.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

Good one, ice-cream...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Carnie...To close out our Bruce Cockburn concert, I give you the ONLY song ever written about the one world financial institution most responsible for poverty and depradation worldwide, the US Treasury Department's very own International Monetary Fund....Namely today's Big Bank on the world block that tells countries that if they want loans, they have to downsize their social programs, privatize most government  functions, let big piratical US corporations in to bleed their resources dry, and PAY OFF all the old debt incurred by US sponsored puppet dictators....It is called "Structural Adjustment"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68zccrskOqQ

http://www.globalissues.org/article/3/structural-adjustment-a-major-cause-of-poverty

"Padded with power here they come
    International loan sharks backed by the guns
    Of market hungry military profiteers
    Whose word is a swamp and whose brow is smeared
    With the blood of the poor

Who rob life of its quality
    Who render rage a necessity
    By turning countries into labour camps
    Modern slavers in drag as champions of freedom

Sinister cynical instrument
    Who makes the gun into a sacrament --
    The only response to the deification
    Of tyranny by so-called "developed" nations'
    Idolatry of ideology

North South East West
    Kill the best and buy the rest
    It's just spend a buck to make a buck
    You don't really give a flying f..k
    About the people in misery

IMF dirty MF
    Keep them on the hook with insupportable debt

See the paid-off local bottom feeders
    Passing themselves off as leaders
    Kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
    Open for business like a cheap bordello

See the loaded eyes of the children too
    Trying to make the best of it the way kids do
    One day you're going to rise from your habitual feast
    To find yourself staring down the throat of the beast
    They call the revolution

IMF dirty MF
    Keep them on the hook with insupportable debt."

- Bruce Cockburn (1987)

[/QUOTE]

Another great one. I wonder why you never hear Bruce on the radio. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

If my predictions this year had been any more inaccurate, I would have had the Oakland Raiders facing the Washington Capitals in the October Classic. Unfortunately, such a provocative matchup failed to materialize. Okay, Tigers in 6....But after the way this season has progressed, anything is possible.....Including a last-minute series cancellation when Buster Posey and Justin Verlander are found together doing steroids and other PED's at a late night San Francisco treat soiree...

[/QUOTE]

I picked both the Giants and Tigers to meet but had no clue who would win the WS.  I certainly would have never predicted the Giants be up 3-0

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The Tigers finally get a hit and it's a big one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

The Tigers finally strike back....Cabrera with a wind-aided 2 run homer to right....2-1 Tigers...

Sections
Shortcuts