2013 chicken and beer .......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

2013 chicken and beer .......

If this years team was to eat chicken and drink beer .... Would anybody give a damn ? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: 2013 chicken and beer .......

"rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point.[1] The question is used as a rhetorical device, posed for the sake of encouraging its listener to consider a message or viewpoint. Though these are technically questions, they do not always require a question mark."

Of course not, rs, not a thinker in the real world anyway.  Helen Lovejoy would though: "Please won't somebody think about the chicken!"   You are forgetting that the 2011 selfish, lazy, chickenaholic gluttons only started that unique and unprecedented behaviour 15 minutes before the September slump started.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

If this years team was to eat chicken and drink beer .... Would anybody give a damn ? 

Maybe the key is that this team drinks chicken and eats beer.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Nobody cares what you do when you win. The Idiots drank shots before Game 4 of the ALCS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Winners write the history books.  Before the Wash/Oak SB, the Raider players were out every night, and I mean stories of being out and loud at 4 AM.  Had they lost, that would have been the reason.  But they won, so that was the reason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well, the 2011 team ordered fried chicken, this team eats it raw.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Winners write the history books.  Before the Wash/Oak SB, the Raider players were out every night, and I mean stories of being out and loud at 4 AM.  Had they lost, that would have been the reason.  But they won, so that was the reason.

Joe, are you suggesting that if Result B follows Action A the causality might be less than 100%?   ;-)

It drives me crazy.  I remember arguing constantly in '99/'00 with people about Nomar's "impatience" i.e. swinging at the first pitch.  An historically great hitting SS, batted about .350/.370 those years....but on the 1st pitch batted about 50 points higher (BTW, I get the irony of me using BA, it's just simple shorthand).

• Is it possible that if Nomar had been more "patient" he could have performed better?  Of course.
    • Is it possible that if his extreme effort and aggression had been tempered he'd have performed worse?  Of course.
    • Is it certain that complaining that a SS batting around .360 overall, over .400 on the first pitch, could do better if he was more conventional with his approach to batting is absurd?  I'd say yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Wade Boggs carved out 3000+ hits and a spot in Cooperstown on chicken and beer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

No he did it on beer...after beer...after beer...after beer...after beer...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And a few other things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Boggs was often accused of being "selfish" i.e. focussing on his BA.  Ichiro too.

I would be thrilled to have a Boggsian "selfish" guy getting on base about 45% of the time for 10 years for the Sox.  In fact, I'll have 25 such selfish guys, thank you very much.

BTW, career BA/OBP:

Boggs:  .328/.415 (.443/.858)

Ichiro:  .320/.362 (.416/.778)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He also carved out quite career as a "hair club pitch man".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

He also carved out quite career as a "hair club pitch man".

[/QUOTE]

Are you implying that chicken and beer causes ........ indorsment deals ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If this years team was to eat chicken and drink beer .... Would anybody give a damn ?"

No, but that doesn't mean it was ok for a team that was collapsing and had a bunch of out of shape guys on it to go that route. 

It's not hard to undertand this: when things are going well at work, you get cut some slack. 

When you are having a very rough sales quarter, you don't party into the night at the office with pizza and beer and roll in late the next morning with pizza crust all over the place. 

If indulging yourself doesn't get in the way of winning it's a whole different story. One key to professional success is realizing when the tide has turned and when it's time to get serious. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

And a few other things.

Wade Boggs looks like an adult film star.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Nobody cares what you do when you win. The Idiots drank shots before Game 4 of the ALCS.

+1  was just about to type this....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1  was just about to type this....

[/QUOTE]looking back, probably couldn't blame them, it was probaly cold as @@%k during those games :-)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ain't no thaaaang like Wade Bogg's swaaaaanng.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Boogs got such a bum rap while he was here....yes I know a lot was self-induced but if you ever want to have a 'jaw dropping moment', take a look at his prime for that 8 year stretch.  He did that in a pitcher dominating time..... the number will NEVER be replicated.  Ichiro cme close....but it still doesn't compare to Boggs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

And a few other things.

The ladies like the acid wash jeans, especially Baba WaWa. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, David Ortiz used the "F" word back in April and he not only got away without being reprimanded , he got good mileage out of it and it became a popular moment.

Pretty sad how eatimg something as innocent as chicken and drinking America's most popular beverage = bad , while using filthy language = good.

It's all about results as was stated previously.

You win , everthing is excusable....lose and someone will find the scapegoat and make an example of him, her , it or them. In the 2011 case Terry Francona was the scapegoat. This season's team with John Farrel is not being managed much differently than a Francona-led team. After all, Francona was Farrell's mentor...wasn't he?

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Chicken and beer are metaphors for not giving a damn. If a team stops caring, it stops winning. What is important to me is teamwork, effort, and caring. If my team has that, their record is not as important to me. This team appears to have that. Winning is a nice bonus. 

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Well, David Ortiz used the "F" word back in April and he not only got away without being reprimanded , he got good mileage out of it and it became a popular moment.

Pretty sad how eatimg something as innocent as chicken and drinking America's most popular beverage = bad , while using filthy language = good.

It's all about results as was stated previously.

You win , everthing is excusable....lose and someone will find the scapegoat and make an example of him, her , it or them. In the 2011 case Terry Francona was the scapegoat. This season's team with John Farrel is not being managed much differently than a Francona-led team. After all, Francona was Farrell's mentor...wasn't he?

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

Context is everything Zill.  

The chicken and beer were convenient symbols of a team gone awry.  They came to represent a perceived lack of caring and focus as the club folded up at crunch time.  Was chciken and beer the problem?  Of course not.  But it was a symbol of a problem that, to this day, only people on the inside fully undestand.

Conversely, Ortiz gets a pass for his vulgarity because it was let loose in a passionate moment where he was genuinely trying to galvanize the community after the horrible events of Marathon day.  Was his utterance acceptable or appropriate?  No, of course not.  The kids dont need to hear that from their icons.  But, his faux pas came out in a nice moment in deep connection between David and the coomunity at large.