2013 Lineup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2013 Lineup?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Lets get away from going with offensive shortstops and defensive left fielders.  Lets get back to being defensively strong up the middle with power at the corners.    

Very good. Now, convince the stooge who is arguing with himself about "September v. August and clock", when I just stated that bean counting to get "one more year" is absurd! The young talent needs to play more than September baseball against most teams that have quit for the season. They need to put these guys in as early as July and the middle of August, to match up against teams trying to make the playoffs and putting their best on the table.

The Red Sox and the bean counting with young talent isn't working well. The notion that getting "one more year" is more important than putting young talent on the field with a priority on winning games and getting a long look is utterly incomptent!

Sign an old man for 13 million a year, wait until garbage time in September to look at young talent. Then, announce they aren't ready and repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse repeat, sell low and buy high in trade and FA market, rinse, repeat, bridge year, 150 million a year payroll, rinse, repeat, no playoff wins, trade needed talent to get rid of bad FA contrast, rinse, repeat.

What a joke.

And, stop arguing with your straw man.

I wanted Iggy at SS and hated the Drew signing and all the others.

I wanted Iggy last year.

Convince me of what? My own position?

Try responding to the point we are debating for once.

Is it worth giving up a year of team control for 20-30 more games in August ("vs ML players)? Or, even if we bring them up in July for a total of 45-55 more games?

Your position is clownish.

Iggy's clock is inconsequential anyways, so making him part of this debate shows your complete lack of understanding of this issue.

Convince yourself to take another break from this site. Do us all a favor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lets get something straight right now - Dragnet TV show was tight and amazing...awesome pacing and writing - the Tom Hanks 80s remake? Maybe the worse thing hanks has ever done (although Akroyd did a decent job as Friday)

the lineup? pretty weak all the way around in a tough division but it will all depend on the starting pitching anyways...

i think pedey needs to be put in a power slot (3, 4, or 5)

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

lets get something straight right now - Dragnet TV show was tight and amazing...awesome pacing and writing - the Tom Hanks 80s remake? Maybe the worse thing hanks has ever done (although Akroyd did a decent job as Friday)

the lineup? pretty weak all the way around in a tough division but it will all depend on the starting pitching anyways...

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Yeah, this is the line-up I like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Space, i almost had a sliver of spring training hope as i put this lineup together...lol

but it is all about the pitching....but i would love to see pedey let loose in the lineup and let him swing away....that might be one of the few bright spots in the season until some of the youngsters get brought up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Space, i almost had a sliver of spring training hope as i put this lineup together...lol

but it is all about the pitching....but i would love to see pedey let loose in the lineup and let him swing away....that might be one of the few bright spots in the season until some of the youngsters get brought up

I agree that its all about the pitching.  but thats because I don't see anything wrong with this line-up.  It doesn't have a lot of big-time Manny/A-Gon wow-star-factor.  But this is a pretty tough line-up to get through.  Get out the meatballs and mozzarella cause these are some GRINDERS.

And, yeah, Pedey in the 3 spot no question.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is it worth giving up a year of team control for 20-30 more games in August ("vs ML players)? Or, even if we bring them up in July for a total of 45-55 more games?

You aren't just a shilling bully, you are truly a dogmatic drone.

I correctly peg you as a clown: you call everyone "numnuts" or worse, and I'm the "bully"? Clwon brilliance at its best.

A team with a 150 milllion plus payroll doesn't need to bean count "one more year of control a half a decade from now" when it's pumping a fortune in old men.

So, your clown theory is that if we are going to be incompetent in our signings and trades, we should also blow contract years on lost seasons. Brilliant!

The Red Sox should learn from prior call-up history, which includes those who were called up before the September exhibition period which is about worthless.

Yeah, like how Wake kept us from calling up Weiland when he should have been.

Folks, it's truly pathetic to have such a dead board that is dominated by one inbedded shill poster in an echo chamber of censorship. No wonder this Board has gone down the tubes from when I first came to this ghosttown, over five years ago.

Thanks for doing your best to drive away the classy posters with your racism, bigoty, political rants, and clown drivel.

The Sate of the Union is a bankupt State with a demagogue talking about "investing" and repeating the same thing, for a half a decade of disaster in the economy. The State of this Board is a ghostown of irrelevance that comes with a sanitized cheerleader echo chamber.

Case and point. Clown brilliance.

Ortiz's contract is going to be a disaster. I've been one of his biggest supporters, but the two year deal is pure incompetence!

This from the guy who last summer called me a racist for "lowballing" our hero by suggesting a $20M/2 year deal with incentives. This clown has more twists and turns than a road through the Alps, or should I say Appalachia.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Geo, not a bad template, but Victorino can be pretty rotten vs RHPs. I'd swap him out of that slot when a righties on the mound to start a game.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't have to designate you as a racist and bigot.

You define yourself very well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This Board is irrelevant.

So, tell us what attracts you so much to irrelevence?

I know the answer, but I'll leave to you to figure it out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

If they then extend Ellsbury, then we are looking at a pretty cool team going forward with all the other young kids they have coming up. And with JBJ in LF

You don't know what you are talking about. JBJ's value is in CF, and I don't think the Red Sox are stupid enough to put him in LF and pay Ellsbury a fortune in his thirties.

i'd at least put JBJ into RF

We need power at the corner OF spots...JBJ is perfect for CF

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Good lineup Geo, but I might put SV lower in the lineup against RH starters

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ells

Victorino

Pedey

papi

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Gomes

Salty

Drew/Iggy/Pedro

Good lineup Geo, but I might put SV lower in the lineup against RH starters

I said the same just above, and we also will not likely play Gomes (or have him so high) vs too many RHPs either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

And, yeah, Pedey in the 3 spot no question.  

You think the hobbit has enough pop to hit in the 3 spot?

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  I mean, if we had an Adrian Gonzalez around, I woudn't put him here, but, given the makeup of this starting 9, why not.  He's almost certainly not going to jack 30+, but I'll take the wall-ball lasers with Papi/Napoli/Middlebrooks behind him.  Thats a gauntlet.  

I hear what Moon et al are saying about Victorino.  I am fine with shuffling the order vs. righties and lefties and moving the Hobbit into the 2 vs. righties.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hear what Moon et al are saying about Victorino.  I am fine with shuffling the order vs. righties and lefties and moving the Hobbit into the 2 vs. righties.

Ideally, we should pick up a high OBP vs RHPs LF'er (or better yet corner OF'er) who could bat 2nd. We'd have a more stable line-up:

vs RHP      vs LHP

1)        Ellsbury

2) New Guy  Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4)        Ortiz

5) Napoli     Middlebrooks

6) Middbrks  Napoli

7) Salty       Gomes

8) Drew       Drew

9) Victorino  Ross

Very little movement beyond the LF and Catcher platoons, except for Victorino and a mild Naps-Midds flip at 5/6..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ideally, we should pick up a high OBP vs RHPs LF'er (or better yet corner OF'er) who could bat 2nd. We'd have a more stable line-up:

vs RHP      vs LHP

1)        Ellsbury

2) New Guy  Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4)        Ortiz

5) Napoli     Middlebrooks

6) Middbrks  Napoli

7) Salty       Gomes

8) Drew       Drew

9) Victorino  Ross

Very little movement beyond the LF and Catcher platoons, except for Victorino and a mild Naps-Midds flip at 5/6..

New Guy.  Hahahaha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If they then extend Ellsbury, then we are looking at a pretty cool team going forward with all the other young kids they have coming up. And with JBJ in LF

You don't know what you are talking about. JBJ's value is in CF, and I don't think the Red Sox are stupid enough to put him in LF and pay Ellsbury a fortune in his thirties.

so is jacoby. if we get 25HR from CF and 10HR from RF is it any different than getting 10HR from CF and 25HR from RF??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

About moving guys around in the order: except for Pedey and recently Ellsbury, most of our players have been moved around quite a bit anyways, so it's not like they have a set comfort zone slot...

PAs by slot in 2012:

Salty: 6th-278, 7th-57, 8th-43, 4th-39, 5th-21, 9th-10.

Ortiz: 3rd-176, 4th-113, 5th-93, 9th-1

Middlebrooks: 6th-103, 5th-92, 7th-56, 8th-18, Others-17

Napoli: 7th-163, 8th-199, 6th-42, Others-13 (I think he'd be happy flipping between 5 & 6 rather than 7th and 8th)

Victorino: 2nd-178, 5th-176, 1st-144, 3rd-110, 6th-49, Others-9. (Looks like he was flipped all over the place last year.)

Victorino career:

2nd (2143)  .287/.351/.436/.787

1st   (971)   .251/.320/.411/.731  (Looks like he should avoid the 1 slot.)

5th   (359)   .276/.346/.442/.788

6th   (352)   .307/.362/.500/.862 (Looks like the 6 slot has been his best)

7th   (151)   .233/.325/.383/.708 (His worst career slot with 60+ PAs)

Over his career, he's virtually identical in the 1 or 5 slot, but much better in the 6 slot.

Napoli has had a career of hitting mostly 8th (891), 7th (643), 6th (621), 5th (234) or 9th (180), but his OPS is pretty consistent across the board:

5th .930 (kinda small sample size)

6th .881

7th .854

8th .898

9th .580

I'm not seeing much evidence that moving the two key guys, Victorino or Naps, is going to bruise their egos or make them uncomfy. Naps should be thrilled to bat higher now, and Victorino is used to being flipped from 2 to 5 and even 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to KPfromCT's comment:

moonslav59, wow. You don't mess around when it comes to stats. Respect.

So wouldn't the best solution be to bat Pedroia 3rd and Papi 4th? Or even do what you suggested and have Pedroia 4th and Ortiz 3rd? I don't know, I just really dislike the thought of someone who hit .227 last year being the cleanup hitter.

I'm not too big on 1 year sample sizes being used as a projection tool, but I share your concern. Like I said, Naps is the lesser of 9 evils, but I'm Ok with Pedey and Papi 3/4 or 4/3.

The problem vs RHPs is that we wouldn't have a good #2 OBP hitter if we move Pedey from that slot. SV is awful bvs RHPs. Drew? Nope!

Nava should be in the 2 slot vRHP ... assuming he makes the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

so is jacoby. if we get 25HR from CF and 10HR from RF is it any different than getting 10HR from CF and 25HR from RF??

25 HR from each would be better.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

About moving guys around in the order: except for Pedey and recently Ellsbury, most of our players have been moved around quite a bit anyways, so it's not like they have a set comfort zone slot...

PAs by slot in 2012:

Salty: 6th-278, 7th-57, 8th-43, 4th-39, 5th-21, 9th-10.

Ortiz: 3rd-176, 4th-113, 5th-93, 9th-1

Middlebrooks: 6th-103, 5th-92, 7th-56, 8th-18, Others-17

Napoli: 7th-163, 8th-199, 6th-42, Others-13 (I think he'd be happy flipping between 5 & 6 rather than 7th and 8th)

Victorino: 2nd-178, 5th-176, 1st-144, 3rd-110, 6th-49, Others-9. (Looks like he was flipped all over the place last year.)

Victorino career:

2nd (2143)  .287/.351/.436/.787

1st   (971)   .251/.320/.411/.731  (Looks like he should avoid the 1 slot.)

5th   (359)   .276/.346/.442/.788

6th   (352)   .307/.362/.500/.862 (Looks like the 6 slot has been his best)

7th   (151)   .233/.325/.383/.708 (His worst career slot with 60+ PAs)

Over his career, he's virtually identical in the 1 or 5 slot, but much better in the 6 slot.

Napoli has had a career of hitting mostly 8th (891), 7th (643), 6th (621), 5th (234) or 9th (180), but his OPS is pretty consistent across the board:

5th .930 (kinda small sample size)

6th .881

7th .854

8th .898

9th .580

I'm not seeing much evidence that moving the two key guys, Victorino or Naps, is going to bruise their egos or make them uncomfy. Naps should be thrilled to bat higher now, and Victorino is used to being flipped from 2 to 5 and even 1.

Neither Naps nor Vic are ego guys.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

25 HR from each would be better.  

obviously, i'm just saying moving a GG CFer out of CF to make way for a prospect is not ideal, especially when the offensive production between the 2 will not change if 1 is in the middle and one is in the corner and vice versa.

Sections
Shortcuts