2013 Lineup?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Re: 2013 Lineup?

I want to think outside the box a bit on this and see what people here think:

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

Drew career OBP .329, works counts, good plate discipline. Victorino career OBP of .340 and a stolen base threat. Ellsbury has a 30+ homer season on his resume and is in a walk year, and just saw what Bourn got w/ Boras as agent.  He needs to show his all around game includes the power to get the 100+ million contract. Pedroia's ego will have him thriving hitting cleanup, and as Moon pointed out, he has thrived there in the past.  Papi would likely have more RBI opportunities and some protection. Would take some pressure off Middlebrooks in his first full season.  Napoli has mostly been a 6-7 slot hitter in his career.  Salty splits up the righties.  Gomes can show what he can do at the bottom in his first chance to play every day.  I know it may look unorthodox at first, but lets have an open mind, as the Sox are coming off a 93 loss season and need to shake some things up.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

Drew career OBP .329, works counts, good plate discipline. Victorino career OBP of .340 and a stolen base threat. Ellsbury has a 30+ homer season on his resume and is in a walk year, and just saw what Bourn got w/ Boras as agent.  He needs to show his all around game includes the power to get the 100+ million contract. Pedroia's ego will have him thriving hitting cleanup, and as Moon pointed out, he has thrived there in the past.  Papi would likely have more RBI opportunities and some protection. Would take some pressure off Middlebrooks in his first full season.  Napoli has mostly been a 6-7 slot hitter in his career.  Salty splits up the righties.  Gomes can show what he can do at the bottom in his first chance to play every day.  I know it may look unorthodox at first, but lets have an open mind, as the Sox are coming off a 93 loss season and need to shake some things up.  Thoughts?

I like your thinking outside the box.  But, .329 is not leadoff material.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

I know the OBP isn't ideal, but if he works counts, fouls off balls, sees a lot of pitches, and lets the guys coming up after him see some pitches, then maybe the Sox will get back to being that team that gets starters out of the game and into bullpens in the 4th-6th innings more regularly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

I know the OBP isn't ideal, but if he works counts, fouls off balls, sees a lot of pitches, and lets the guys coming up after him see some pitches, then maybe the Sox will get back to being that team that gets starters out of the game and into bullpens in the 4th-6th innings more regularly. 

I hear that.  And that is why I like this line-up.  Even the guys who are not the key guys are grinders like Drew.  I like him in the bottom part of the order for this very reason.  Pitchers want to get through the meat and then cruise through the bottom.  But suddenly you find yourself in a 12 pitch battle with the 8 or 9 guy.  Thats the stuff that gets you into bullpens as you state.  I just want my leadoff guy on base more than I want him grinding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

I hear that.  And that is why I like this line-up.  Even the guys who are not the key guys are grinders like Drew.  I like him in the bottom part of the order for this very reason.  Pitchers want to get through the meat and then cruise through the bottom.  But suddenly you find yourself in a 12 pitch battle with the 8 or 9 guy.  Thats the stuff that gets you into bullpens as you state.  I just want my leadoff guy on base more than I want him grinding.

well said space, i fully agree. I really want Ells to hit in the middle of the order but he is our best leadoff guy..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We actually have several better OBP guys than Ellsbury when we face LHPs.

It's vs RHPs that we are sorely lacking in this area.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Last Place? We would be lucky to even finish there.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

8 instead of eight?

You mean 8  instead of "ate"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Drew L
    Victorino S
    Ellsbury L
    Pedroia R
    Papi L
    Middlebrooks R
    Napoli R
    Salty S
    Gomes R

I don't think you can have a guy with that kind of OBP leading off. Drew needs to be at the bottom of the lineup and Napoli up higher. IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sounds to me like Farrell has Ells set for leadoff.  He said today he likes Ortiz 3rd against righties and Pedroia there against lefties, with Victorino hitting 2nd.  I assume that means Ortiz moves to 4th against lefties.  Does that make Napoli the 4 hitter against righties?

Middlebrooks might be the quintessential #5 hitter, if he is not hampered by the sophomore slump. 

Personally I like Salty hitting 9th.  Horrible OBP but power in the 9 spot.  Clears the bases for Ells to get on and do some running.

Definitely sounds like Farrell is trying to match up hitters according to their effectiveness against righties and lefties.  I just cannot find an ideal lineup when I try them out.  It should be interesting to see what Farrell decides on, but I hope he does not have to have (nor chooses to have) as many different lineups as Valentine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Sounds to me like Farrell has Ells set for leadoff.  He said today he likes Ortiz 3rd against righties and Pedroia there against lefties, with Victorino hitting 2nd.  I assume that means Ortiz moves to 4th against lefties.  Does that make Napoli the 4 hitter against righties?

Middlebrooks might be the quintessential #5 hitter, if he is not hampered by the sophomore slump. 

Personally I like Salty hitting 9th.  Horrible OBP but power in the 9 spot.  Clears the bases for Ells to get on and do some running.

Definitely sounds like Farrell is trying to match up hitters according to their effectiveness against righties and lefties.  I just cannot find an ideal lineup when I try them out.  It should be interesting to see what Farrell decides on, but I hope he does not have to have (nor chooses to have) as many different lineups as Valentine.

in valentines defense he had a new set of starters each day.... but i get what you mean lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I don't care who's in the lineup and where if we play as a team again without all the drama.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think the current roster is already more of a team than at any time last season, and they haven't even had their first official full team workout!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the current roster is already more of a team than at any time last season, and they haven't even had their first official full team workout!!!

On paper, our team was better on opening day 2012 than it is now.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

On paper, our team was better on opening day 2012 than it is now.

Beckett also yapped about it being the best team ever.

How that work out?

IDK???

HOW THAT?   Your articulation for a yapper is astounding!

25. This post has been removed.