2013 MLB Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

2013 MLB Draft

The Red Sox have the seventh overall selection in the upcoming draft and a chance to add an impract player (players) to an already impressive prospect pool. The Sox haven't slected in the top ten since Trot Nixon (also number 7 overall) in 1993. The last time before that you ask? The Sox selected Mike Garman third overall in 1967!

Here is a quick long term positional analysis to identify weak areas.

Catcher - Lavarnway, Butler, Swihart, Vazquez

1B - Shaw, Middlebrooks?, Bogaerts?

2B - Coyle, Cecchini?, Marrero?, Vinicio?, Vitek

SS - Iglesias, Bogaerts, Marrero, Vinicio

3B - Cecchini, Bogaerts?, Shaw, Vitek

OF - Bradley, Hassan, Margot, Brentz, de la Cruz, Jacobs

P- Barnes, Webster, de la Rosa, Owens, Johnson, Britton, Ranaudo, Workman, Light, Buttrey, Montas

Bogaerts final position is still to be seen, but I expect LF to maximize his offensive potential. Outfield prospects are weak as are corner infielders. Catching and pitching are always needed. On our current roster, there are only a handful of players that could be considered in the long term plans. Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Lester?, Pedroia?.

Players I'd Like To See Selected

1) Kris Bryant - 3B/1B/OF - San Diego

Best college hitter period. Hits for average, power, stole 9 bases last year, K-BB 1:1.

2) Clint Frazier - OF - GA HS

Highly ranked HS kid who lives for baseball and from all reports plays the game hard.

3) Best Available Pitcher ie Appel, Stanek, Wahl

College pitcher that can progress quickly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: 2013 MLB Draft

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

The Red Sox have the seventh overall selection in the upcoming draft and a chance to add an impract player (players) to an already impressive prospect pool. The Sox haven't slected in the top ten since Trot Nixon (also number 7 overall) in 1993. The last time before that you ask? The Sox selected Mike Garman third overall in 1967!

P- Barnes, Webster, de la Rosa, Owens, Johnson, Britton, Ranaudo, Workman, Light, Buttrey, Montas

Bogaerts final position is still to be seen, but I expect LF to maximize his offensive potential. Outfield prospects are weak as are corner infielders. Catching and pitching are always needed. On our current roster, there are only a handful of players that could be considered in the long term plans. Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Lester?, Pedroia?.

Best college hitter period. Hits for average, power, stole 9 bases last year, K-BB 1:1.

Highly ranked HS kid who lives for baseball and from all reports plays the game hard.

i've heard lots of good things about Bryant

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

From what I've heard this draft is deep in HS offense, but that can change.  I'm very exciting to see where weago with such a high pick.  I'd like to see the sox draft the best player available, Whether that is a pitcher or acatcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let's also keep in mind anyone who looks like a top ten pick right now may very well be a late 1st round or supplemental pick come June. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

From what I've heard this draft is deep in HS offense, but that can change.  I'm very exciting to see where weago with such a high pick.  I'd like to see the sox draft the best player available, Whether that is a pitcher or acatcher.

I'm also very excited about this draft. Last season was horrible to sit through, but hopefully we'll have the consolation of being able to nab an elite talent who would normally be long gone by the time we pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I'm also very excited about this draft. Last season was horrible to sit through, but hopefully we'll have the consolation of being able to nab an elite talent who would normally be long gone by the time we pick.

+ 1

Lets also not forget that we will be picking higher in every as well, so hopefully we get some good picks in he first couple rounds as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/7th-overall-mlb-draft-pick/70609/

Pretty impressive list over the last decade.  A little less impressive before that with a few impressive names such as Frank Thomas and Trot Nixon.  

Now I don't know if this is chance, or scouting has become better (I suspect both). But that list is very very impressive since 2002.  Everyone on there is either a top prospect, all star, or above average MLB player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I kinda miss some of those sandwich picks. We struck some gold with the multiple pick strategy...

2005: 23 Ellsbury/45 Lowrie (for O Cabrera), 26 Hansen/47 Bowden (for Lowe), and 42 Buchholtz/57 Egan (for Pedro)

2010: 20 Vitek/39 Ranaudo  (for Wagner) and 36 Brentz/57 Workman (for JBay)

2011: 19 Barnes/36 Owens (for VMart) and 26 Swihart/40 Bradley (for Beltra)

2012: 31 B Johnson/37 P Light (for Papelbon) 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Hands Down the Red sox Should Pick Kris Bryant. Would be Fitting considering His Dad Mike Bryant Played in the Sox Farm system in the early 80's. I know Kris Personally(And Pretty Much his Whole family) and he is a very Humble and Willing to whatever it takes to succeed. He Has Some Amazingly Quick Hands and Off the Charts Bat Speed. He Also Brings Versatility Being able to play First, Third, and the Outfield Equally as well. He Has a Cannon For an Arm(Just like his Dad) And Runs Well for a Kid Thats 6'5 almost 6'6. The Sox Would be Stupid not to take him with the 7th overall selection as i believe He has the making of a Perrenial All-star. Kris is Also And His Family are Origionally From Acton,Mass but moved out to Las Vegas For His Dads Job Some Years ago. So Do the Right Thing Red sox And Bring this Kid home!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:And If

OK, xXR3, you have convinced me. Draft Kris Bryant, if he's still available when the Red Sox pick.

Are you messing with me softy or are you being serious??? I sure hope He Is Still available when the sox pick. Not only Will I get To See Him and His Incredibly Funny Father More often, But He'll probably Hook Me up With Tickets To games when he makes it to the Show. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Really exciting to get such a great pic. I honestly can't wait to see who it will be. I believe in the past, there have been really great players who weren't picked right away. I can't imagine what it's going to be like to have a shot at possibly the best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Let's also keep in mind anyone who looks like a top ten pick right now may very well be a late 1st round or supplemental pick come June. 

My vague memory had BA ranking Brian Johnson 4th and Marrero 6th at this point in time. So I agree.

The most under rated player for me is Colin Moran. Just question if the Red Sox would take a pure 3rd baseman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If one of the top pitchers slide down that would be the right way to go. But with the cost of pitching these days thats doubtful, just take the best player available at #7. That way it has better chance of being an impact player. Hate to take a pitcher if 6 pitchers taken before our pick, means we're getting 7th best pitcher. Not often the RS get to pick this high, have to make it count. RS have done a pretty good job picking later in 1st round, have to believe they will come up with a solid pick here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

I really want them to draft Kris Bryant. Been saying this for a few months.

I understand the if there is a "cant miss" pitcher that they will most likely go in that direction. But if Bryant is available, they should jump at it. He could be the answer at 1b for a long time. BIG BAT

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

26 Hansen/47 Bowden (for Lowe), and 42 Buchholtz/57 Egan (for Pedro)

Not any gold in any of the players who have been in the majors for any length of time. As for the rest, only Barnes and Bradley, Jr. have any strong appeal, and I wouldn't call it "gold".

Also, it's "Bucholz" not "Bucholtz".

No its Buchholz...Jeez, his name is plastered all over Boston sports pages. If your going to be arrogant enough to correct someone at least get it right yourself...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Hands Down the Red sox Should Pick Kris Bryant. Would be Fitting considering His Dad Mike Bryant Played in the Sox Farm system in the early 80's. I know Kris Personally(And Pretty Much his Whole family) and he is a very Humble and Willing to whatever it takes to succeed. He Has Some Amazingly Quick Hands and Off the Charts Bat Speed. He Also Brings Versatility Being able to play First, Third, and the Outfield Equally as well. He Has a Cannon For an Arm(Just like his Dad) And Runs Well for a Kid Thats 6'5 almost 6'6. The Sox Would be Stupid not to take him with the 7th overall selection as i believe He has the making of a Perrenial All-star. Kris is Also And His Family are Origionally From Acton,Mass but moved out to Las Vegas For His Dads Job Some Years ago. So Do the Right Thing Red sox And Bring this Kid home!!!

I remember us discussing Bryant a few months back. as soon as I saw some vids of him playing and some interviews, I wanted him in Boston. If were lucky enough that he lasts til the 7th pick. I sure hope so...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Personally I wouldn't mind the next Matt Harvey, Prince Fielder, or Cleyton Kershaw (all 7th picks over the last 10 years)  

Heres one of my first baseball thoughts of the day - 

Seeing how we are picking so high this year in the draft, I'm realizing how much more a lot of us will be following the highschool and college prospects this year.  I know I will!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Personally I wouldn't mind the next Matt Harvey, Prince Fielder, or Cleyton Kershaw (all 7th picks over the last 10 years)  

Seeing how we are picking so high this year in the draft, I'm realizing how much more a lot of us will be following the highschool and college prospects this year.  I know I will!

Good Morning CT!

I usually follow the college guys and just read about the HS kids. I have a hard time finding video for HS kids, where video is readily available for college kids. If you have any info where I could view some videos for HS player please let me know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It should be interesting to see our strategy going into the draft.  We do have the 2nd least amount of bonus money in the top ten ($6,341,900) which is a little less than last year, however we have less picks to spread it out around.  So hopefully that means we don't have to forgoe top talent with the picks.

The Yankees meanwhile will pick 3 times before we pick again at #44.  They have the #27 #29 and #32 picks.  The good news is their bonus pool is $4,216,300.  So it will be interesting to see if they blow it all and go top heavy in the draft.  Or possibly they do something similiar to what we did last year and draft a lot of high floor, quick rising, but not top notch talent.  Guys like Brian Johnson who will likely not end up a top of the rotation guy but has a very good chance at being a #4 #5 starter and rising to the big leagues quick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Good Morning CT!

I usually follow the college guys and just read about the HS kids. I have a hard time finding video for HS kids, where video is readily available for college kids. If you have any info where I could view some videos for HS player please let me know.

Good Morning - 

See I don't have as much experience following the kids.  I would imagine that in todays world where there are camera phones and social media platforms for sharing everywhere that it would be a lot easier to broaden the scouting base. 

But I will definitely be on the look out this year, I'm sure (and I'm assuming I'm not alone) I will discover a few things in the upcoming months. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not any gold in any of the players who have been in the majors for any length of time. As for the rest, only Barnes and Bradley, Jr. have any strong appeal, and I wouldn't call it "gold".

softy, the guy who makes spelling and gramatical mistakes in nearly every sentence (not to mention making no sense either) is now the board corrector. Gotta love it!

Although Hansen never became "gold", he did help us obtain J Bay, who helped us for a couple years before himself bringing us Brentz & Workman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

softy, the guy who makes spelling and gramatical mistakes in nearly every sentence (not to mention making no sense either) is now the board corrector. Gotta love it!

Although Hansen never became "gold", he did help us obtain J Bay, who helped us for a couple years before himself bringing us Brentz & Workman.

And he didnt even correct you correctly...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And he didnt even correct you correctly...

Not surprising, when he never even gets my positions right either.

Sections
Shortcuts