2013 MLB Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

2013 MLB Draft

Since the Red Sox have the 7th pick this year I have been watching the MLB draft stuff a little more closely. Here is my take on the prospects the Red Sox might be looking at.

1. Jonathan Gray SP--I would take Gray first. I predict the Astro's agree. Reminds me of Clemens and Ryan with the fastball, both who pitched for Houston. A 97-101 mph fastball with movement. Good slider. Command. Nice throwing motion. No health concerns. Dominating this year after being very good last year. Only concern is his 3rd pitch is only so-so. Horse!

2. Austin Meadows CF-RF--Complete package. Fairly young for a senior with a good frame to grow into. Has been outdueled twice by Clint Fraiser, but two games does not a career make. Think Seguin vs. Hall. I prefer Seguin.

3. Mark Appel SP--Has 4 pitches and throws 94-96. Command, production, size, and a nice smooth throwing motion. My only concern is that I watched him in last years playoffs and he did not impress. Not a ton of movement in his pitches. Like with Gray, he is only a year away. As safe a pitcher pick as you can get. Should be a solid 15-45 caliber starter. A mid one to mid two. I don't see greatness though.

4. Clint Frazier CF-RF--All the cool kids love this guy. I really like him too, just not as much as them. He reminds me a bit of Eric Byrnes with a bit more power and a better arm. Thats not the greatest compliment in the world. Frazier may already be maxed out as a player. He is 8 months older then Meadows. Still a rock solid top 4 prospect. I would love him at 7. Gamer.

5. Sean Manaea SP--6-5 lefty who has solid command and a 95 mph fastball. Best pitcher in the Cape Cod league. Not sure about his secondary stuff though. Picks 5-14 I consider pretty even.

6. Colin Moran 3B--Moran seems to be the uncool guy to praise, so here goes. The one thing you constantly here is that Moran has no power. This is largely because of a pathetic 4 homer total after his sophmore year. Problem is that it ignores his 9 homers as a freshmen when he lead the ACC in RBI's that year. And this year for North Carolina he has 7 homers already[15 homer pace]. He also hit for power his first time around the Capecod league and his second season at the Cape he lead the league in RBI's. So in his 5 "seasons" he has hit for good power in 4 of them.

He has the best plate discipline in the draft[31-8 BB/K]. He has a nice swing. Goes the other way well. And his defense will be solid enough to stay at 3rd. He is by far the youngest Jr. in the draft, more then a year younger then some other first round prospects. So he has a lot of upside and could still fill out his 6-3 frame some more. One of the safest picks in the draft aswell.

7. Kris Bryant RF--I like Bryant, just not as much as Moran or the others ahead of him. I think he ends up playing RF. Big guy who has a nice all round game. My concern is his swing is a little long and slow. Leads the country in homers and walks. Nice.

8. Jon Denney C-1B--Normally I hate catchers from high school. However, this year there are two great catchers. And Denney should be able to hit at any position. Kind of like Wil Myers. I think Bryant or Denney are the odds on favorites at this time to be the Red Sox's pick.

9. Phillip Ervin CF-RF--The Jackie Bradley Jr. of this draft. Does everything well. Patience, power, bat, speed, arm. The questions are his size[5-11] and his ability to stay in CF[50-50]. Even in RF his game will play. MVP of the Cape Cod league. I would not be upset with him at 7 even. Think of JBJ in RF hitting from the right side with more power. Very young for a jr. Most are not as high on Ervin as I am.

10. Kohl Stewart SP--Not huge on high school pitchers either. He had some arm issues early in the season. Might be a tough sign[QB]. And his stuff is excellent, but not great. Diabetic. Not sure I want him at 7.

11. Reese McGuire C

12. Braden Shipley SP

13. Chris Anderson SP

14. Ryne Stanek SP

15. Ryan Eades SP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2013 MLB Draft

Im a Kris Bryant fan...also can play a good 1b

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Im a Kris Bryant fan...also can play a good 1b

We need a thumper for 1B. We don't have one of those in the minors. The problem is Bryant might be gone by the 7th pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't pick anyone just because we need a position filled. By the time the kid is ready, things change.

Also, 1B has to be the easiest position to fill short term or long term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I wouldn't pick anyone just because we need a position filled. By the time the kid is ready, things change.

i don't think it's a positional thing moreso than the need for a middle of the order bat. We really don't have any big boppers in our farm system. XB maybe but i see him more of a #3 hitter than a stud cleanup 40HR guy. Bryant could be that guy. Certainly looks that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bryant IS that possible MOTO bat we dont have in the system...He has corner IF experience as well as corner OF...The jury is still out on X until he proves himself in AA for a full year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Everything I keep hearing about this draft has the talent going up.  The board is changing from talent moving in and not out of it.  This excites me, we have a great chance at adding some premium talent.  

I haven't seen anyone put Grey 1st but he's in a lot of top tens 5-10 now and was nowhere to be found a month ago.  A kid that can CONTROL a 100 mph fastball is going to go quick.

I like Frazier, and I like Bryant....heck I like em all.  I would love an elite Bat that can slide in the order next to Bogaerts for years to come.  Imagine a dominant cost controlled heart of the order......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Everything I keep hearing about this draft has the talent going up.  The board is changing from talent moving in and not out of it.  This excites me, we have a great chance at adding some premium talent.  

I haven't seen anyone put Grey 1st but he's in a lot of top tens 5-10 now and was nowhere to be found a month ago.  A kid that can CONTROL a 100 mph fastball is going to go quick.

I like Frazier, and I like Bryant....heck I like em all.  I would love an elite that can slide in the order next to Bogaerts for years to come.  Imagine a dominant cost controlled heart of the order......

The reason I really want that bat is because the legit ones are always gone quickly. The Sox, IMO, are not going to be picking #7 for a long time again (unless they dont sign this years pick) and because of that should take a power bat with the #7pick this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I like Frazier, and I like Bryant....heck I like em all.  I would love an elite that can slide in the order next to Bogaerts for years to come.  Imagine a dominant cost controlled heart of the order......

The reason I really want that bat is because the legit ones are always gone quickly. The Sox, IMO, are not going to be picking #7 for a long time again (unless they dont sign this years pick) and because of that should take a power bat with the #7pick this year.

I agree, less risk with a bat as opposed to an arm too.  If I had a choice, Id say we need to gat a bat.  But all things considered, I'm pretty sure whoever we pick will be very exciting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I haven't seen anyone put Grey 1st

I agree that very few players are moving down because of poor performance or health. And guys are moving up.

And I think you are right that nobody has put Gray number 1. I read a compilation mock draft site that had 53 different mocks and Gray was never higher then number 2. So I guess I am alone on this. Or the first of many.Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

At the rate he's pitching you might not be alone soon.

I think this conversation will get more interesting over the next 8 weeks.  What I think is also worth considering soon is who we take with the second pick.  With less comp picks and a higher draft position our second round pick this year will be similar to where a lot of our comp picare have been.   It will be a very exciting draft for sure.

Yankees are stacked with 3 first round picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can only hope and pray that every team drafting before the Sox have a low opinion of Mark Appel he's a number one starter in waiting and there will be very little time in the minors for this guy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I've seen the Sox in most mock drafts linked to high schoolers, like Stewart and Denney.

I would much prefer Grey or Appel.  Appel fell to eighth last year, but I doubt he falls so far again...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Word was that the Sox had Jose Fernandez in mind last year before they picked Barnes. They would have picked Fernandez if he were still available. They are great in the draft. Whoever they pick will probably be a stud at #7. I hope it's a solid pitching prospect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Word was that the Sox had Jose Fernandez in mind last year before they picked Barnes. They would have picked Fernandez if he were still available. They are great in the draft. Whoever they pick will probably be a stud at #7. I hope it's a solid pitching prospect.

pitching prospects are crapshoots though.. well, all prospects are but pitching prospects are much bigger gambles IMO. we're not going to have the #7 pick again for a long long time (hopefully) so i'd rather get the surest thing possible. AKA a stud MOTO bat. Plus, our pick is protected so if the player does not sign we get #7 again next draft (if i understand it correctly)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

Pick to fill a need and fill a need while another team gets a superstar. You pick the best guy on the board no matter what 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Tek-9's comment:

Pick to fill a need and fill a need while another team gets a superstar. You pick the best guy on the board no matter what 

YES!

If the best players is a 1Bman, then so be it, but we need to take the very best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes best player available is what I want.  No team should ever draft according to need.  The time need should come into play is if it is a tie breaker.  I'm sure with our pick being so high, there may be 3-4 guys left on the board that fall under that top teir talent and if one of them is a need take em.  I'd prefer a big bat that plays the outfield, but if there is a polished arm that stands apart from the rest on the board.....I hope the Sox take that arm. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

pitching prospects are crapshoots though.. well, all prospects are but pitching prospects are much bigger gambles IMO. we're not going to have the #7 pick again for a long long time (hopefully) so i'd rather get the surest thing possible. AKA a stud MOTO bat. Plus, our pick is protected so if the player does not sign we get #7 again next draft (if i understand it correctly)

Exactly. Get yourself a legit top 10 bat while you can because they are never around late, where they usually pick.