2013 Red Sox Match Low Expectations with Mania High Payroll

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: 2013 Red Sox Match Low Expectations with Mania High Payroll

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I wrote more than that, which is why it's out of the context and the context of this thread, counselor.

Oh, yes thank you for pointing out the ommission counselor.  Your full statement was:

"Since we have an adorable professional psychiatrist, the last half a decade of Red Sox seasons have had despressed expecations and mania payrolls."

The dependent clause changes the conext entirely ...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The thread title provides the context.

Maybe you could explain exactly what that means. It looks to me like you have an adjective surrounded by two nouns in your thread title, which might be some language, but I'm pretty sure it's not english.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The thread title provides the context.

Mania high payroll.

Aww.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The hyperbole of the the OP's title aside..the Red Sox have one of the highest payrolls in MLB. Only the Angels, the Dodgers and the Yankees have higher payrolls.  ( of course we must thank the Dodgers once again for that deal last summer!)

That being said..the Sox payroll is around 13 percent less than it was last year...so it's all relative I suppose. Our payroll is still a lot..and I mean a lot lower than the Yankees.

If we are going to talk about dollars versus results..then I think it's more productive to talk about the ROI for individual players. For example..the 5 highest paid players make up 70 percent of the Red Sox payroll.  The two highest paid players on the team for this year? Lackey and Ortiz.  Anyone care to guess what return the Red Sox are going to get on those investments?

Also..I do think that the Red Sox are attempting to manage expectations this year. I don't view that as a bad thing. After years promising champion caliber seasons and creating a lot of hype in  order to continue their sellout streak..I think a little reality from the front office is refreshing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

Nobody knows what the expectations are of RSN at any time. It is all speculative.

What does this mean? No one knows what the RESULTS will be, but everyone has their own expectations. I expect we could become relevant again in two years if Ben commits to full rebuilding mode. Most "experts" do not "expect" the Sox to be a top 15 ML team this year. You have your expectations; I have mine. We both KNOW what our own expectations are. We just don't know the RESULTS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this team is going nowhere....that is my expectation and that will be the result...just as i told you last year that beckett was a donkey and our starting pitchers overated...

the team that started the 2011 season is better than this current incarnation - they were in the hunt until ben pulled the plug and ortiz pulled up lame...in 2013 this team will be out of it by june

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

this team is going nowhere....that is my expectation and that will be the result...just as i told you last year that beckett was a donkey and our starting pitchers overated...

the team that started the 2011 season is better than this current incarnation - they were in the hunt until ben pulled the plug and ortiz pulled up lame...in 2013 this team will be out of it by june

According to Union no one knows their expectations: its all speculative.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

the team that started the 2012 -correction... season is better than this current incarnation - they were in the hunt until ben pulled the plug and ortiz pulled up lame...in 2013 this team will be out of it by june

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

2013 softlaw matches low expectations with mania high posting style.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

the team that started the 2012 -correction... season is better than this current incarnation - they were in the hunt until ben pulled the plug and ortiz pulled up lame...in 2013 this team will be out of it by june

You are right sir that the 2012 team on paper was good and was expected to perform well. Then came the Bailey, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Papi, Sweeney, and many other injuries. Beckett and Lester had off years. With a record number going onto the DL, ownership ended up playing the Pawsox lineup for the last six weeks. Then there was Valentine. Yes you are right, the 2012 team last March ( on paper) was probably better than this year's team ( on paper). One never can guarantee anything.

Citing injuries as an excuse for poor team performance is a copout. I will never buy that. Injuries are a part of the game. All teams have them. Its how they cope with them that matters. They played the PawSox in the last six weeks mostly because they were already out of the running for the playoffs as well as some trades that were made...and some injuries. The Valentine factor I agree with. A 13 game improvement would be a huge gain.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

but they had more than any team in twenty-five years.

Says who.

Mania twenty five year injury high.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You are right sir that the 2012 team on paper was good and was expected to perform well. Then came the Bailey, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Papi, Sweeney, and many other injuries. Beckett and Lester had off years. With a record number going onto the DL, ownership ended up playing the Pawsox lineup for the last six weeks. Then there was Valentine. Yes you are right, the 2012 team last March ( on paper) was probably better than this year's team ( on paper). One never can guarantee anything.

Citing injuries as an excuse for poor team performance is a copout. I will never buy that. Injuries are a part of the game. All teams have them. Its how they cope with them that matters. They played the PawSox in the last six weeks mostly because they were already out of the running for the playoffs as well as some trades that were made...and some injuries. The Valentine factor I agree with. A 13 game improvement would be a huge gain.

You are right if the Red Sox had the average number of injuries last year but they had more than any team in twenty-five years. Anyway, how would you have replaced Bailey, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Papi, Sweeney, and another twenty with players of equivalent talent during the year? They failed by bringing up Pawsox players.

So the only solution was to make a trades to bring them in and then what would the resulting payroll be for an their  starting eight and a mirror image on the bench this year. Who would you have traded to replace  Bailey, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Buchholz, Papi, Sweeney, etc. Do other team go out and trade for exact duplicates when players get injured. It doesn't sound possible or feasible to me.

Lots of teams had injuries, and it happens every single year (http://www.baseballnation.com/2012/6/25/3116396/injuries-al-east-yankees-red-sox-rich-harden-just-because) . The Red Sox fans seem to use the injury excuse a lot. The next link shows you that yes, the Red Sox had the most WAR lost via injury-by ONE WAR over the Yankees, five over the Jays, and four over the Rays.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18924

I am not going to allow the injury excuse to pass here without some proof on your part that they had vastly more injuries than any other ML team, especially those ALE teams they compete with for the playoffs. Also, its not trips to the DL that count most: its who gets injured. If Ross gets injured this year and spends the whole season on the DL its not going to affect the team as much as if Pedroia or Lester or Bucky gets injured for a shorter period of time. Using the injury excuse is a copout. Last year's team stunk because their pitching stun-12th in overall ERA in the AL. They scored enough runs to compete DESPITE the injuries, finishing fifth in runs scored in the AL. Even though you do not want to keep hearing this, its still true: until Ben fixes the pitching problem that has gotten worse on nearly an annual basis since 2007, this team is not going to win another ring. Every winter like this past winter where nothing was done to fix it is another year we will be disappointed in the team.