2013 Season - Vent Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

2013 Season - Vent Thread

S.T. is upon us and yet I don't seem to have the usual excitement about this upcoming baseball season.

Obviously, one can say I am disinclined to get excited because the Yankees look extremely vulnerable. But they still are a talented team that for the most part should still compete for the post season. So why should this bother me?

One can also say I have lost interest because the one sports rivalry which I love - Boston/NY has basically petered out.

And finally, maybe it is because I am so disgusted with how the game itself is turning out. Stupid contracts are still being signed; players seem to have little regard for the fans and team owners seem to have even less regard.

Anyone else feeling this or maybe it is just Winter wearing me down?

Anyway, wishing all my friends here a great 2013 season. Hope you all enjoy it and don't suffer any strokes due to band managing, playing or F.o. decisions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: 2013 Season - Vent Thread

Jess - I feel you on the disgusting nature of baseball money.

But, don't despair on the rivalry.  the fact that our two clubs are down make things exciting, offer hope for a fresh take.

The rivalry, though always rife with intensity and looooonnnnng games, was a little down, if you ask me by the end of the last decade, when both clubs were just the Big Dogs and there was nothing scrappy happening.  Now, with the up being down and down being up, we do not know how things will unfold.  If the clubs exceed expectations and are battling for posts season by mid-summer, the intensity is going to be ratcheted up big time from the way it has been for the poast 5 or 6 years.  

Sometimes you need a good trough to generate the high peaks of rivalry surfing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Obviously, one can say I am disinclined to get excited because the Yankees look extremely vulnerable. But they still are a talented team that for the most part should still compete for the post season. So why should this bother me?

sorry jess

call me captian obvious

I'm  thinking it's mostly low expectations

if hal sticks to his goal

tough times ahead in yankeeland

One can also say I have lost interest because the one sports rivalry which I love - Boston/NY has basically petered out.

hasn't petered out in my world

impossible to match / maintain 03/04 juice

4 me it's always been about finishing ahead of the sox

4th place never bothered me much as long as the sox  were 5th

thanks to  mr mojo's  post

I'm very happy 2 know only  10
    more days till BB on tv

thanks to all for making the off season a tad easier

but soon it will be time to take off the gloves

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu351/pzac28/aababgh_zpsed57fbd3.jpg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is truly a bridge year...thats my vent - starting lineup that totally underwhelms and no inprovement in starting pitching...bullpen looks solid however and i think the new manager could be a plus...

but the Al East is a beast so we will be out of it probably by August like last year...I am hoping for a near .500 season which would be a nice improvement

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I have no problem with professional athletes making millions.  I can only imagine how hard it is to become an MLB player or any sports athlete or even an entertainer such as Oprah who has become a billionaire.

I always wanted to be an MLB player.  But my fastball is only around 25 mph.  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I have no problem with professional athletes making millions.  I can only imagine how hard it is to become an MLB player or any sports athlete or even an entertainer such as Oprah who has become a billionaire.

I always wanted to be an MLB player.  But my fastball is only around 25 mph.  LOL

i had a decent arm, and was an ok athlete...at the height of my physical prowess (19) I clocked my best fastball at 83 mph...with no control and it hit the top of the backstop...that is a weak curve ball in MLB...lol.....it must be nice to be blessed with a MLB arm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I'm psyched to watch some baseball.

Not being holier than thou but come on.

Spring is right around the corner. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I'm psyched to watch some baseball.

Not being holier than thou but come on.

Spring is right around the corner. 

Word.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The money is the money.  The only time I worry is when the RS are spending stupid money.  I think the rivalry is still good, but nothing that burns that brightly, burns that long.  It's only natural that the rivalry will see its ebbs and flows.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm looking forward to a new season with a cautious optimism.The Sox are a reconfigured team and hopefully have a new attitude in the clubhouse.I believe the veterans will come back with a feeling of something to prove and play with the intensity that a team needs to have to win.

Whether they can win or not,is a totally different issue,that's why they play the game.I'm ready for Spring training,a new start to a new season.Time to put 2012 and a long,cold winter in the rearview mirror.

PLAY BALL!!! GO SOX !!!!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

S.T. is upon us and yet I don't seem to have the usual excitement about this upcoming baseball season.

And finally, maybe it is because I am so disgusted with how the game itself is turning out. Stupid contracts are still being signed; players seem to have little regard for the fans and team owners seem to have even less regard.

Anyone else feeling this or maybe it is just Winter wearing me down?

Anyway, wishing all my friends here a great 2013 season. Hope you all enjoy it and don't suffer any strokes due to band managing, playing or F.o. decisions.

It could be a classic second division battle ... for the cellar. The worst teams money can buy. The Mets are even worse. The Dodgers are a popular pick, but too many pricy square pegs in even pricier round holes, perhaps a 500+ team as a result. We've seen this before. Ditto the Angels. So much for the huge media markets LA, NY, & RSN. Down (Relatively speaking) with Texas as well. Up (Ditto) with Clev. Also,  the Nats look fantastic, and Toronto seems pretty good too .. at least on paper. IMO, Baltimore is better than the 40-1 Vegas odds ... much better if they get good SP. My reason for these expectations in reverse directions for Balt, Clev, & Tex? The MGR is a factor.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

Spoken like a true pink hatter from new jersey.

There hasn't really been any "rivalry" to speak of aside from a brief period in the 1970's and again at the beginning of this century.

Are you saying that baseball didn't interest you aside from those short lived times?

If there isn't a rivalry, then explain the availabilty/prices of tix, prime time broadcasts, long games, media & fan obsession, energy of the players/coaches etc. Is it fake? Agreed, outside of 2004 & 2007, it's been lopsided. Perhaps that's what you mean, in troll-like fashion. 

Regardless, there are hardly any rivalries anymore, or at least they have been toned down a notch; all the players are of part of a select club these days.

Way back when, the Alous were not allowed to talk to each other when they were on different clubs. The only RS player I can recall of recent vintage who avoided casual small talk with a NYY player was Varitek.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

There hasn't really been any "rivalry" to speak of aside from a brief period in the 1970's and again at the beginning of this century.

Are you saying that baseball didn't interest you aside from those short lived times?

Are you really trying to claim that a victory against the Yankees is not just a little bit sweeter than a victory against any other team in baseball?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Are you really trying to claim that a victory against the Yankees is not just a little bit sweeter than a victory against any other team in baseball?

I heard you were a NYY fan, LOL

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to selenium's comment:

Saying that there never has been a Red Sox - Yankee rivalry has been a favorite dig of Babe's on this forum for five years. Based on the # of WS trophies, pennants, and Divisional championships, - he is correct. Of course, we also know that there are other yardsticks of "rivalry". It is best to dismiss troll statements like that.

Yes, I never learn.

LL JEdgar

Sections
Shortcuts