In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

would it surpise anyone if Xander forces his way onto the team as the starting SS in spring training?

[/QUOTE]

That would surpirse alot of ppl including Xander himself.  I think he might get some ML taste in September '13 at the earliest.  But I don't mind Xander at SS or 1B starting 2013. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Xander has proven all he needs to prove in the minor leagues. RS most likley play some games with his time of service for free agency purposes, but he is ready, and most likely will not be over whelmed in spring training. Maybe at worst, he is in a similar situation to Middlebrooks was this year.

[/QUOTE]

Rkarp,

Let me get this straight.  So you think Torey Lovullo isn't "experienced enough" after 25 years in Professional Baseball to be the Sox' Bench Coach, yet you think Xander Boegarts, who has played less than two seasons of Minor League Baseball, whose defense is considered, well "raw" would be the nicest way to put it, and who just stopped being a teenager exactly 3 weeks ago, "has proved all he needs to prove in the Minor Leagues?" 

[/QUOTE]

How many times did you see him play in Portland? I saw him play 14 games. I also saw him play 27 games in Salem. I also saw him for 3 years in spring training. Offensively he is ready. Will he be overwhelmed? Of course. But he will adapt, and move forward. Defensively, he is also ready. He wont dazzle, but right now he is as good as Aviles.

How many times did you see Iggy play? I saw him play over 40 games this year. He is a wizard with the glove, but he gets lazy with his throws, and loses concentration in the field. He has the same holes in his swing as he did 3 years ago. He is just learning pitch recognition. His K/Walk rate his horrible.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: 2013 SS

Cleveland for Asdrubal Cabrera, and use Iglesias as trade bait for a premier starting pitcher.[/QUOTE]

If a troubled team with a hole at shortstop (after trading four in 11 months) is willing to trade Jose Iglesias, how much trade value does Iglesias have?

Two years of Asdrubal Cabrera would come at a steep price ... how much talent should the Red Sox surrender in order to acquire Cabrera?

[/QUOTE]

2012                    WAR       UZR        wRC+        Salary '13       '14            FA

A. Cabrera            2.9        - 9.0         112                $6.5m    $10m       >'14

Jed Lowrie            2.5        -0.1          111                $1.9m      ???         >'14

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Iggy will save a few runs but will leave more stranded on the basepaths.  SS is a revolving door around here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Iggy, and I'm not even terribly concerned.  He'll hit .210 with a great glove, at minimum wage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias. His time has come.  Outstanding defensively , and his hitting will improve.  It has at every level to date.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ciriaco at SS--that is his natural position.

Trade Ells to the Cubs for Soriano and cash to play LF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two awful ideas.

1.  ciriaco is a utility player at best.

2.  Soriano is not only not good, but signed for 2 more years at $18mill per, and is 37 years old..  Also , he apparently does not want to return to the AL and risk being a DH.   This is important, as he does have 10/5 rights...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two awful ideas.

Agreed

2.  Soriano is not only not good, but signed for 2 more years at $18mill per, and is 37 years old...

Not against him in left for 2 years if a Garza comes with him for the right price and Ross signs elsewhere.   He got after it a bit this year and he's pretty well suited for Fenway.  He's brutal defensively, but....need to think about it more I guess.

/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Because we lack power at first and in the outfield we certainly do not have to go get "a bat" for short. Iggy should be given the job right out of the gate and allowed to play till all*star break regardless of his hitting. At that point things can be re-addressed. 

With so many question marks why waste time on thinking you need to replace the best glove on the field and at a position that has seen nothing less than complete turmoil since 2005?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ciriaco was terrible at the plate in September.

[/QUOTE]

Ciriaco has a .299 OBP in the minors in over 3,000+ PAs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because we lack power at first and in the outfield we certainly do not have to go get "a bat" for short. Iggy should be given the job right out of the gate and allowed to play till all*star break regardless of his hitting. At that point things can be re-addressed. 

With so many question marks why waste time on thinking you need to replace the best glove on the field and at a position that has seen nothing less than complete turmoil since 2005?

[/QUOTE]

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

His name is Jose, not Julio.  No Sox Fans caught that???

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I was running through all the comments first so not to repeat what a few here might have aready said. I believe he has confused Julio Iglesias the singer with Jose Iglesias the SS...Its a common error.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I was running through all the comments first so not to repeat what a few here might have aready said. I believe he has confused Julio Iglesias the singer with Jose Iglesias the SS...Its a common error.

[/QUOTE]

Jose is the better fielder.  Julio is the better hitter...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

would it surpise anyone if Xander forces his way onto the team as the starting SS in spring training?

[/QUOTE]

ST 2013? Yes it would surprise me. I could possibly see a late year call up if hes killing it in AA/AAA and Iggy just isnt cutting it. Also, Im sure the Sox would not want to give up a year of control bringing him up at the start of the seson. Now ST 2014 is another story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogearts will be a career defensive butcher if some incompetent allows him to spend his career as a starting SS.

Iglesias should be the starting SS, from the get go. The Red Sox GM's office is and will continue to show it's incompetence.

[/QUOTE]

If youve ever seen him play, it would only be in A ball in which he had some defensive issues with footwork. This year his errors have gone down and his footwork is much improved. To say a 19yr old is destined to be a defensive butcher shows your huge lack of baseball knowledge or your obvious dislike/hate for a team you claim you root for...

What a foolish comment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two awful ideas.

Agreed

2.  Soriano is not only not good, but signed for 2 more years at $18mill per, and is 37 years old...

Not against him in left for 2 years if a Garza comes with him for the right price and Ross signs elsewhere.   He got after it a bit this year and he's pretty well suited for Fenway.  He's brutal defensively, but....need to think about it more I guess.

/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Brutal" is a kind way to describe Soriano's defense.

In 6 years, he still has not learned to play the LF wall at Wrigley.  I'm sure the bricks and ivy do make it trickier, but we are talking about 480 games by now.

Somehow, he does seem to get good UZR numbers for his defense.  This amazes me as I have seen him drop more routine flies than any other OF ever.  (He went through a stretch so bad 3 years ago, ho got mock cheers for catching routine flyballs.)  My theory is he scores well on UZR because of his assist totals, which are usually OK.  Of course, OF assists are also misleading.  For one thing, strong arm OF with reputations rarely get challenged by baserunners, where as defensive black holes like Soriano do, and frequently.  sure, he nails some of them, but assist totals never tell you how many he didn't throw out.

Matt Holliday is another one whose UZR scores never seemed to agree with what i saw, which was frequent misplays, and Holliday has that special knack for making more of them at really, really critical times...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Is the young Julio Iglesias ready to man the postion full time, or do the RS try to go out and find another utlility player they think is a SS? I would like to see Iggy take the reins from the get-go, but if the Sox feel he needs more time at AAA, then they need to try to make a deal with Cleveland for Asdrubal Cabrera, and use Iglesias as trade bait for a premier starting pitcher.[/QUOTE]

If a troubled team with a hole at shortstop (after trading four in 11 months) is willing to trade Jose Iglesias, how much trade value does Iglesias have?

Two years of Asdrubal Cabrera would come at a steep price ... how much talent should the Red Sox surrender in order to acquire Cabrera?

[/QUOTE]

It seems the Rs are more concerned about offense than defense. Other teams would take Iggy in a heartbeat, and insert him as their starting SS. Good gloves at short don't grow on trees. And the offense will come; it's easier to learn to hit than learn to field. Besides, the kid already knows how to put the ball in play and has had some bad luck finding holes.

That's why I think he has more trade value than maybe the FO realizes. As far as Cabrera goes, 2 years would not do it. They would need to sign him long term, and make him the SS for the foreseeable future.

[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your thought that there would a team that would take a 22yr old defensive wiz, I totally disagree with your thought that its easier to hit than field.

With that said, I do believe Iggy will be a decent enough hitter in MLB to warrant a starting job. Hes hit at every level throughout the minors even though he was overmatched for his age.

Just give him some time to adjust. Time, meaning at least til the ASB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

haha

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know. wanted to see how long it would take for someone to notice.

[/QUOTE]

Nice try.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

still not sure about iggy. he proved he still cant hit when we brought him up but that glove is amazing. i think he could get better offensively (you have to TRY to stink to hit .118) but things are not looking good for him. the longer to spends not hitting the more attrative boegarts looks.

as for iggys trade value its definitely circumstancial.. a GG short stop with virtually NO bat whatsoever has little value to most GMs but maybe a GM has a fondness for elite defensive SSs? who knows but if you do trade him i doubt you will get much for him unless his offense improves. and if that happens then its best to just keep him (unless he is the chip that pushes a trade for an ace or 1st baseman over the top...unlikely)

so im leaning towards ciriaco for 2013 SS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you don't have a lot of faith in good Defense then there is no reason to life Iggy.  For the rest of us it's a no-brainer.

The question is knowing that he has the bat speed and mechanics to hit....will he hit? and at 22 years old it is completely reasonable to assume that he will continue to mature at the plate.

In the absence of any aquasitions it looks as if Iglesias will get his chance come 2013,  We may need to start discussing 2013 Iggy Ba. predictions. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When it comes to lame attempts at comedy, Mooshwemp is the better stooge.

Jose is a better hitter than Julio, and Castro is a more popular Marxist leader than Obama.

[/QUOTE]

Obama is a Marxist like Softy is a lawyer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ali who are the other teams that would take Iggy? 

Is Asdrubal Cabrera better than Pedroia? If yes trade Pedroia and a PTBNL for him and we'll play Ciriaco at 2 B. Chances are that won't happen. Ciriaco and Pedroia as a DP combo with Iggy as an infield backup.

If the Sox had Cruz in RF, Ross in LF and BJ in CF and Gomez, Lind or VMart at 1 B, Middlebrooks at 3 B, Ortiz DH and Salty C--- I would say fine---have Iggy at SS--there are plenty of bats in that lineup to carry him.

so what's that lineup look like:

Upton, Pedroia, Ortiz, Cruz, Middlebrooks,  VMart, Ross, Salty, Iggy or Ciriaco.

Sections
Shortcuts