2013 Starting Pitcher Market: Where do you stand on that?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2013 Starting Pitcher Market: Where do you stand on that?

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would try to acquire Lincecum.  I believe he's available and now would be perfect time to start trade talks with the Giants.  He just had his career worst year which will impact his trade value.  Even if he had horrible year, he's one of the eilte TOR guy.  A change of scenery may help him get back on the right track.  Giants have surplus in their rotation and they can use a starting pitcher to acquire a productive bat.  Lincecum has 2 yrs left on his contract before he hits FA and Giants' recent big spending on two of their young guns (Cain and Bumgarner) would make them reluctant to give Tim massive deal.  And by unloading Tim, they should have flexibility to go out and look for a bat or a reliever for their BP. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd be very surprised if San Francisco considered moving Lincecum.  He's pretty much a folk hero in San Francisco and Lincecum loves it there.  Zito is coming off the books next year, so they can use his slot to retain him. It's not the best PR move for a team coming off two championships in 3 years to move it's most popular player, especially when his value is at an all-time low...

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I live out here in Giants territory and I don't think they are going to trade Lincecum or any of their core SP. They know a good thing when they see it.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting that no one mentions Kurodo, who imo, is more reliable and consitent than anyone else mentioned.

[/QUOTE]

Everyone assumes he's going to re-up with the Yankees or go home to Japan...Red Sox, Dodgers & Angels are all supposedly interested, but my guess is they are all a distant 3rd, 4th & 5th option for him...

[/QUOTE]

It would probably cost somewhere around 1/16 to get him, which Id be ok with since its only 1 year. Enough time to see RDLR,Webster and Barnes progress.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'd sign Edwin Jackson and/or try to swing a trade for Garza and call it good...

The key to 2013 is not much different than last year and it starts and ends with Lester who needs to step up and deliver a cy quality season. The time is now for him to establish once and for all that is he is indeed worthy of carry the torch and being seen as the leader of the staff the preverbial horse or staff ace if you will. Short of that and we may well need to up the ante and try to pry loose a proven #1 guy.

For the Sox to contend next year we need the following....

>30 plus starts and 200 plus innings with a sub 3.50 ERA from Lester & Buccholz

>30 plus starts from Doubront & Morales with each of them approaching the 180/200 IP plateau while pitching to a sub 4.0 era

>Then there's Lackey "the wild card", not sure what his timeline is to begin the season. So I'm going to assume that it's gonna take him a month or two to sort things out. 20 starts-120 innings with a sub 4.0 era with most of his work coming after June 1st...

That leaves about another 20 or so games we'll need from our organizational depth and/or if we sign or trade for another proven veteran.

In the pen the bottom line is Bailey has to show up ready and able to close...if not he than whom? the answer IMHO is not Aceves. Once the closer role is estabished the rest of pen set's up pretty good...we've got lot's of options....

the lineup...end of the day we need two quality hitters with 1B and LF openings to fill...(Hamilton & Swisher would both look pretty good...)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like E Jackson, but think he will be more overpriced than some others (McCarthy, Marcum & maybe even A. Sanchez.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I find it a bit odd that the Angels would let Haren walk away as a free agent.  

Unless the Angels are freeing up money for Greinke (it will be funny if Greinke signs elsewhere lol).  

I believe that Haren would be a fine addition to the Red Sox.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

we need two.....McCarthy and Sanchez....maybe. Jackson and Haren as a backup. If we can do better and pick up someone more high profile in trade...I prefer that route. Even these guys don't bring us the #1 or # 2 STOPPER that we need. Maybe we should reconsider Wakefield?..jk

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it a bit odd that the Angels would let Haren walk away as a free agent.  

Unless the Angels are freeing up money for Greinke (it will be funny if Greinke signs elsewhere lol).  

I believe that Haren would be a fine addition to the Red Sox.  

[/QUOTE]

The Angels will definitely be all in on Greinke, and the Rangers will likely make them pay heavily.  The Dodgers will be in as well. 

Haren is about as "west coast" as it gets.  He did not want to leave the Angels, and his preference is to stay in California.  He's probably hoping the Dodgers have interest.  My guess is if the Padres make a competitive offer, he'd sign with them before he'd go pitch in the east for a contender.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Haren is about as "west coast" as it gets.  He did not want to leave the Angels, and his preference is to stay in California.  He's probably hoping the Dodgers have interest.  My guess is if the Padres make a competitive offer, he'd sign with thembefore he'd go pitch in the east for a contender.

Or a noncontender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haren is about as "west coast" as it gets.  He did not want to leave the Angels, and his preference is to stay in California.  He's probably hoping the Dodgers have interest.  My guess is if the Padres make a competitive offer, he'd sign with them before he'd go pitch in the east for a contender .

Or a noncontender.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  He'd rather pitch for a doormat like the Padres or Mariners, just to stay on the west coast, before he would want to pitch for any team in the east. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Haren is about as "west coast" as it gets.  He did not want to leave the Angels, and his preference is to stay in California.  He's probably hoping the Dodgers have interest.  My guess is if the Padres make a competitive offer, he'd sign with them before he'd go pitch in the east for a contender .

Or a noncontender.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  He'd rather pitch for a doormat like the Padres or Mariners, just to stay on the west coast, before he would want to pitch for any team in the east. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anderson has never pitched in Camden Yards, or Toronto. He has pitched against them.

Yanks BA .328  Orioles .333  Sox .225  Rays .234 Toronto .304

The stat that strikes me funny about Anderson is Lefthanded Batters are hitting .300 against him. He's a Lefthanded Pitcher, very bad sign. Stay away from Oakland Pitchers its an illusion because of the Park they play in.

Getting rid of Dubront and Tazawa still cracks me up. Glad some here aren't GM's. A good GM would do his research to see how Pitchers pitches against the Opponents he will see more during season, Division Opponents.

25-25 doesn't sound dominant enough for me, especially for a Pitcher that Pitches in Oakland, and some games at Safeco.

Anderson for Morales I'll go for that throw in 1 of our Catchers and its OK with me.

[/QUOTE]

Id love to see Morales and Tazawa get a chance for the #5 spot in ST...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I do wonder if southpaw777 is harness. Many similarities.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is Greinke, then there is everybody else.    Brett Anderson career :  25 wins, 25 losses, 3.57 ERA.  Not bad , but not exactly Koufax.   Why not give Tazawa a shot ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do wonder if southpaw777 is harness. Many similarities.

[/QUOTE]

Nope...This is and has been my one and only name on BDC.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

....Stay away from Oakland Pitchers its an illusion because of the Park they play in.

So, the Nats should have never traded for Gio Gonzalez?

Getting rid of Dubront and Tazawa still cracks me up. Glad some here aren't GM's. A good GM would do his research to see how Pitchers pitches against the Opponents he will see more during season, Division Opponents.

I did the research, and the samople sizes are puny. Good GMs don't make decisions based on zero to10 IP sample sizes.

25-25 doesn't sound dominant enough for me, especially for a Pitcher that Pitches in Oakland, and some games at Safeco.

Did you see the offense he had on his team?

Anderson for Morales I'll go for that throw in 1 of our Catchers and its OK with me.

Brett Anderson has more upside in his pinky than Doubront has in his whole arm. Good GMs look at Doubie's near 1.500 WHIP and think they can do better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Exactly. [Dan Haren] would rather pitch for a doormat like the Padres or Mariners, just to stay on the west coast, before he would want to pitch for any team in the east.

Or Dan Haren might prefer to pitch in a division that has produced two of the last three World Series champions or a division that has produced two of the last three American League champions.

The World Series has not featured an East Division team from either league since 2009.

Perhaps Red Sox fans now understand how fans of a last-place team can have high hopes and aspirations.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Bill James projects 200+ innings each next season for Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey and Felix Doubront with ERAs of 3.71, 3.62, 4.05 and 3.70:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

For what it's worth, Bill James projects 200+ innings each next season for Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey and Felix Doubront with ERAs of 3.71, 3.62, 4.05 and 3.70:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P

[/QUOTE]

I like his thinking on this...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

was Bill James right last year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many outside starting pitchers do the Red Sox need to acquire?

Who are you going to budget market rate for in this years starting pitcher FA market?

Is there anyone you would trade for in the starting pitching trade market?     

If so, what players would you put in a trade pool to make sure you acquire them?

[/QUOTE]

Zero starting pitchers.  Due to the economic conditions of the FA SP market (high demand, low supply) bidding wars will ensue for #3 starters (90M for Annibal?) .  Sox would be smart to avoid.

FA pitching is a crapshoot.  Sox should focus on offense, where results are far more predictable.  A 10M-12M/yr pitcher is no more likely to succeed in 2013 than De La Rosa is.

Lester/Buchholz/De La Rosa/Doubront/Lackey is good enough.  If we bring in the righty sluggers like we should, our pitching only has to be good enough.  Teams mash their way to championships all the time. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is Greinke, then there is everybody else.    Brett Anderson career :  25 wins, 25 losses, 3.57 ERA.  Not bad , but not exactly Koufax.   Why not give Tazawa a shot ?

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Greinke is the only FA pitcher that I would consider because his stuff is elite (multiple years w/ a K/9 > 10!).  But for reasons already beaten to death on this forum, he isnt a fit.  I dont think anybody else in the FA class is going to be worth what they will command in this market.  Im fine w/ no fA pitcher acquisitions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd ask Philly if Lee was available.  I might even ask about Halladay, though not so willing to pick up all the salary.