2013--worst season ever for Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

2013--worst season ever for Sox?

Right now, June 14, the Sox are tied for the best record in AL after finishing dead last in the AL East in 2012.  In most circles going from last to first would be thought of as a good thing.

But not here on OTFB.  Nosiree.  Here we find a constant barrage of complaints about the players, the manager, the GM, and just about everybody associated with the team.  About the only guy who hasn't been hammered is Pedroia.  Every loss requires, it seems, at least one scapegoat.  Last night the Sox played another tough extra inning game, and there have been two separate threads, one on Doubront and the other on Drew, about how their malfeasance snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  There are never postmortem threads on how and why the Sox won a tough game.  As one very clever contributor put it, the Sox have yet to learn how to play 1.000 ball.  Shame on them. 

I say all this because I've been a fan since 1949 and firmly believe we are still enjoying an unparalleled renaissance for this team, one which started before Henry became the owner but which was surely enhanced by him and his management team.  And that is why the Sox had the record number of sold out games (even though I agree there was some fudging going on)--the fans who go to the games enjoy the product even though the ball park itself has some really bad sight lines. 

I would be less than honest if I did not also point out that part of the problem, maybe most of it, is the nature of blogging.  It's a lot more fun complaining then not, in arguing about mistakes than praising good plays, etc.  We all need to vent.  So a special thanks must go out to Drew, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, Victorino, Gomes, Napoli, Salty, Ross, Buchholz, Lester, Lackey, Doubront, Farrell, Cherington, Nieves, Ortiz, Doubront, Dempster, Bailey,  and others who have allowed us the opportunity to gripe.  Well done, team. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: 2013--worst season ever for Sox?

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now, June 14, the Sox are tied for the best record in AL after finishing dead last in the AL East in 2012.  In most circles going from last to first would be thought of as a good thing.

But not here on OTFB.  Nosiree.  Here we find a constant barrage of complaints about the players, the manager, the GM, and just about everybody associated with the team.  About the only guy who hasn't been hammered is Pedroia.  Every loss requires, it seems, at least one scapegoat.  Last night the Sox played another tough extra inning game, and there have been two separate threads, one on Doubront and the other on Drew, about how their malfeasance snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  There are never postmortem threads on how and why the Sox won a tough game.  As one very clever contributor put it, the Sox have yet to learn how to play 1.000 ball.  Shame on them. 

I say all this because I've been a fan since 1949 and firmly believe we are still enjoying an unparalleled renaissance for this team, one which started before Henry became the owner but which was surely enhanced by him and his management team.  And that is why the Sox had the record number of sold out games (even though I agree there was some fudging going on)--the fans who go to the games enjoy the product even though the ball park itself has some really bad sight lines. 

I would be less than honest if I did not also point out that part of the problem, maybe most of it, is the nature of blogging.  It's a lot more fun complaining then not, in arguing about mistakes than praising good plays, etc.  We all need to vent.  So a special thanks must go out to Drew, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, Victorino, Gomes, Napoli, Salty, Ross, Buchholz, Lester, Lackey, Doubront, Farrell, Cherington, Nieves, Ortiz, Doubront, Dempster, Bailey,  and others who have allowed us the opportunity to gripe.  Well done, team. 

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to BurritoT

If we won the WS this yeat how would you compare it to 1967? Or would you not dare compare?

It would be 2013 - 1, 1967 - 0!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good post.

Not sure why some are killing Drew this morning. He drove in the 3rd run while Middy made an error resulting in Doubie throwing a dozen more pitches one inning and the O's 4th run. He later kicked another ball. Im not foing to start a useless thread on it, but truth be told? Kid looks awful out there.

But hey, lets sit the guy whos had solid defense and is slumping compared to the guy with crappy defense and slumping. There are some seriously dumb people on this site.

To many whiners, know-it-alls, concern trolls, and just plain old unhappy unless their complaining about something people on here.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Pedroia is a trainwreck....the dufus slid into first during game 1 and cost him all of his power. He's nothing more than a singles hitter now.  Trade him now while he's worth something....

There.....I think all players are covered now.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pedroia is a trainwreck....the dufus slid into first during game 1 and cost him all of his power. He's nothing more than a singles hitter now.  Trade him now while he's worth something....

[/QUOTE]

good jobWink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Excellent post max. I might gripe here or there but this team has played really well and can't understand why people can't just enjoy it especially after last season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

We Red Sox fans (as well as Yankee fans) deserve to see a World Series-bound team every year.  The Red Sox have great support from its fans and the financial means within the organization ($150 million payroll compared to Oakland's $60 million payroll).  

I have been to Oakland Coliseum and Tropicana Field.  Only around 10,000 fans pack their stadiums and half of them are checking their I-phone or Samsung Galaxy.   LOL

I'm not saying that it is okay to bash the Red Sox.  But I respect everyone's opinion (whether it is a positive one or negative one).   Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

A fan since 11 years before I was born ?  You have my sincere respect, Sir.

Although I'm an easily band-wagoned eternal optimist , who predicted 97 wins in an outbreak of what an ex-Fed Chairman might term " irrational exuberance"........this year already looks  deserving of celebration not whining.

After September 2011 and all of 2012, this year we're basically playing with "house money ", I.M.O.

However many so-called concerns or gripes merely derive from fans wishing to " lock in " our competitiveness for playoff success. We weren't supposed to contend, now we are, so let's make the necessary moves to continue such. As stated previously, nothing upsets the patient methodical rebuilding plan like unexpected early success.

Also, seems I read somewhere recently that the Sox are 17-7 in games Iggy starts. Hmm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Although I'm an easily band-wagoned eternal optimist , who predicted 97 wins in an outbreak of what an ex-Fed Chairman might term " irrational exuberance"........this year already looks  deserving of celebration not whining.

After September 2011 and all of 2012, this year we're basically playing with "house money ", I.M.O.

However many so-called concerns or gripes merely derive from fans wishing to " lock in " our competitiveness for playoff success. We weren't supposed to contend, now we are, so let's make the necessary moves to continue such. As stated previously, nothing upsets the patient methodical rebuilding plan like unexpected early success.

Also, seems I read somewhere recently that the Sox are 17-7 in games Iggy starts. Hmm.

Well... I was a fan 11 years before I was born... So top that! Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

If you've been a fan since '49 you should well know that crying, bi**hing, keening, pi**ing and moaning are long standing traditions among RS fans. You wouldn't want to trample on traditions now, would you? :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

In response to jimedfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well... I was a fan 11 years before I was born... So top that! Wink

[/QUOTE]
    ha! you could be right in that respect. I can imagine you swimming around in the microscopic world 11 years before you were born with a sox cap on!Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sorry that some of us don't wave pompoms all the time. Yes, the team IS playing well. Thats not even debateable. There are many individual players who are playing extremely well or far above expectations: Bucky, Pedey, Vic, Nava, Iggy, Carp, and Ortiz. However, there are also some guys who are not carrying their weight and are legitimate figures to criticize (or complain about, if you prefer that term): Middlebrooks, Lester, Drew, Doubront, Dempster, and the bullpen as a whole, which as of this morning ranks ninth in the AL in ERA. What a boring place this would be if the only posts people read all day praised how well the team is playing. We get enough of that and enough of the more critical posts. IMO its a good balance.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

BANG! Homerun Max my friend!Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

See, now thats funny.....beat me to the punch nice job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Also, FWIW.  Happy Birthday, US Army, created by resolution of the Second Continental Congress in Independence Hall, Philadelphia, 238 years ago today.   If you are from Boston, you should know that the resolution of June 14, 1775 created several companies of infantry from Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc, who were instructed to proceed to Boston to join the Army there.  This means, I think, that the militia who fought at Concord and Lexington were the real cornerstone of this new Army. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Napoli is damaged goods, Ortiz is too old and not over his injuries, Miller is a loose cannon, Victorino is injury prone, Ellsbury is looking toward next year and is on the way out, Lackey is unreliable and a clubhouse cancer, and Gomes is a bust.............

......Lester I really AM ticked at....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenchylfcnsox. Show tenchylfcnsox's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

We Red Sox fans (as well as Yankee fans) deserve to see a World Series-bound team every year.  The Red Sox have great support from its fans and the financial means within the organization ($150 million payroll compared to Oakland's $60 million payroll).  

I have been to Oakland Coliseum and Tropicana Field.  Only around 10,000 fans pack their stadiums and half of them are checking their I-phone or Samsung Galaxy.   LOL

I'm not saying that it is okay to bash the Red Sox.  But I respect everyone's opinion (whether it is a positive one or negative one).   Laughing

Hi

What makes you say Red Sox fans and Yankees fans DESERVE to contend? I'm not saying they do or they don't but I do feel that people who continue to visit the parks of clubs who very rarely compete even for playoff places are also desrving of some sucess. They may be small in number but they are sincere. 

Red Sox, Yankees and other successful sports teams are only well followed because of previous success or city monopoly of fans (by that I mean a one club city such as the Red Sox). I understand what you mean but do you think the Yankees would as successful on a global scale and as well supported without their decorated history? I speak as a lifelong Liverpool supporter who has seen the impact of success on attendance with my team and more recently Manchester United. 

Peace Laughing

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I find the whole 'bash every player' approach beyon dsilly.  How do you even get into a rational discussion with others if you assume the RS are on the bad side of every trade, every signing, and every draft choice.

It's almost comical to see Geo bash our draft choice as being too slow, even though he was one of the fastest guys in the draft, then saying he is a worst fielder than Gomes, despite the fact that he's a pitcher.

I understand he hates the RS.  But I hate the NYY and that doesn't mean I will blindly criticize guys I never heard of.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder is maxbialystock's discovered something.  Maybe the Sox were trying to put together a bad team, as they had a plan that they could make more money with a bad team than a good one! Why else sign Gomes, Dempster and Drew?

After all, a bad team generates more message board complaints, driving up website traffic, driving up advertising costs!!  All they needed to do was make a bad team and invest in boston.com, and watch the $$$ role in!!  The only way this plan could fail is if the team was good, but, really, what are the chances of that?

I also wonder who gets this reference.   Besides max, of course...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I find the whole 'bash every player' approach beyon dsilly.  How do you even get into a rational discussion with others if you assume the RS are on the bad side of every trade, every signing, and every draft choice.

It's almost comical to see Geo bash our draft choice as being too slow, even though he was one of the fastest guys in the draft, then saying he is a worst fielder than Gomes, despite the fact that he's a pitcher.

I understand he hates the RS.  But I hate the NYY and that doesn't mean I will blindly criticize guys I never heard of.

I think georom may have taken over as Top Site Troll.

As far as he is concered, nothing the team ever does will be right, and seems to take their failure to take his suggestions as a personal effront and headline for his vendetta.  Also, he seeems to be growing increasingly stubborn with regards to his opinions, and will not tolerate contrary logic.  There was a time when at the very least, he would be very forthright in issuing (extemely unnecessary) mea culpas for his inabilty to foresee the future, but now when proven wrong, he just descends further to defend his position, like over the Sox top pick of Trey Ball.

I do get that a lot of fans appear whinier on a msg board than in real life, as some might use this an an outlet to vent frustrations with the team, so we only see that side.  But this team is in first, what on Earth are people still complaining about?   Even if it does not last, learn as a fan that your ONLY role is to derive enjoyment from watching the team, so try doing it for once...

Sections
Shortcuts