1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

SS Iggy/Ciracio

2nd Pedroia

3rd Middlebrooks

1st sign Youk since WS are not paying 13M for him

LF sign Hamilton(3 to 5 yrs) or Gomes & B.J. Upton

CF Ellsbury

RF sign Ross

DH resign Ortiz

Pitching sign Shields don't see Rays giving him 9M, Anibel Sanchez, Francisco Liriano,
    Kyle Lohse, Jonathan Broxton, J.P. Howell and Derek Lowe

Clay, Lackey, Lester, Melancon, Bailey, Doubrant, Tazawa, Breslow, Albers,

Sign

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: 2013

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SS Iggy/Ciracio

2nd Pedroia

3rd Middlebrooks

CF Ellsbury

RF sign Ross

DH resign Ortiz

Pitching sign Shields don't see Rays giving him 9M, Anibel Sanchez, Francisco Liriano,

[/QUOTE]

Wow, a 16 man pitching staff and NO Catchers...so far a great plan.

Jim, wants the Sox to dive right back into the abyss that they were in this year by signing Shields, Sanchez, Lohse, Liriano, Hamilton and Upton...not to mention Broxton, Howell and Lowe...and let's not forget to bring back Albers who I believe has moved on in the Breslow deal.

Out of the 8 starters that are now on the roster, which 5 make the rotation?

...this type of team rebuilding is exactly what we don't need...replace the old fatcats with new ones!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

During the offseason, the Red Sox need to kidnap Billy Beane and force him to help build our ball club.  LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

SS Iggy/Ciracio

2nd Pedroia

3rd Middlebrooks

CF Ellsbury

RF sign Ross

DH resign Ortiz

Sign

Lol..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Manny wanted Beckett extended? I thought he was traded already?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shields will not be a FA. The Rays will take the option and possibly trade him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

During the offseason, the Red Sox need to kidnap Billy Beane and force him to help build our ball club.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

That was Good..LOL.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was Good..LOL.......

[/QUOTE]

Script from the movie, "The Town, Part II"

Ben Affleck: "Billy Beane, in the conference room." "You got a wife, Linda." "You live at 311 Main Street, Quincy with three small dogs." "Billy, Linda would like for you to open the door."   LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SS Iggy/Ciracio

2nd Pedroia

3rd Middlebrooks

CF Ellsbury

RF sign Ross

DH resign Ortiz

[/QUOTE]

Jim, wants the Sox to dive right back into the abyss that they were in this year by signing Shields, Sanchez, Lohse, Liriano, Hamilton and Upton...not to mention Broxton, Howell and Lowe...and let's not forget to bring back Albers who I believe has moved on in the Breslow deal.

...this type of team rebuilding is exactly what we don't need...replace the old fatcats with new ones!

[/QUOTE]

OK I forgot the two current catchers. You got me there

As far as the abyss you mention only one of those guys will want a 5 yr deal and that is Hamilton. Again on the abyss, if you do not sign premier players to long term contracts you become KC or Pitts or some other team that never has the guy who can make a difference. The RS in the past 12 years were the best when they had Ortiz and Manny plain and simple. Having Ortiz and Hamilton does the same thing.

As for signing all the pitchers IMHO many on the cureent roster are gone. Miller, Hill, Cook, Bard, Mortensen, etc.... I also know they won't sign them all nor should they however what you see is the list of the best available and even that is not great. Why is that???

It is because many of the premeir players are tied up on long term contracts aka the so called abyss you feverently never wish to go back to.

Signing long term contracts on premeir players is smart baseball. Problem is it doesn't always work. However the plusses out weigh the minuses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So soxdogg besides crapping on some one else's ideas what do you have to offer for next year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

As far as the abyss you mention only one of those guys will want a 5 yr deal and that is Hamilton. Again on the abyss, if you do not sign premier players to long term contracts you become KC or Pitts or some other team that never has the guy who can make a difference. The RS in the past 12 years were the best when they had Ortiz and Manny plain and simple. Having Ortiz and Hamilton does the same thing.

As for signing all the pitchers IMHO many on the cureent roster are gone. Miller, Hill, Cook, Bard, Mortensen, etc.... I also know they won't sign them all nor should they however what you see is the list of the best available and even that is not great. Why is that???

It is because many of the premier players are tied up on long term contracts aka the so called abyss you feverently never wish to go back to.

Signing long term contracts on premeir players is smart baseball. Problem is it doesn't always work. However the plusses out weigh the minuses.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree Jim, both Upton and Shields will be looking for long-term deals, along with Hamilton and if you are going to invest in these players you HAVE TO know they can be comfortable playing in Boston....Hamilton will likely be looking for a Crawford type deal while Upton in the 10-15 range. Shields and Greinke, will be looking for a Lackey contract at least. This Free Agent ABYSS is what I want the Sox to avoid...overspending for players in the marketplace.

This does not mean I don't want them to pay good players fair market value. My approach this offseason would be as follows:

1. Replace the manager and improve team chemistry...I'd look at Mills, Martinez in TB, or Tony Pena...If Farrell came here without giving up anything I'd give him a shot too.
    2. Let the new manager pick his own coaches
    3. Acquire one OF, possibly two if Ellsbury is moved via trade...a name I like is Alex Gordon but he might not be available...I'll let BC figure out this one out...it could be someone like Kalish and a Wigginton that platoon for a year.
    4. Acquire one 1B, via FA or trade...Napoli, K Morales, Morneau are just a few names to consider. I'd like to see a Napoli/Loney combo next year which would retain late inning defense at this position.
    5. Acquire one SP...via free agency or trade...Josh Johnson, Jake Peavy, Anibel Sanchez & Brandan McCarthy are guys I would check into and if the price was fair sign one of them to complete the rotation of Buccholz, Lester, Lackey & Doubront.
    6. Bring back a bullpen of Bailey, Bard (hopefully straightened out), Melanson, Tazawa, Morales (spot starter), Breslow, Hill or Miller. Even Padilla should be considered if the price was right again but it would cost one of those other guys a job.

If the price tag for any of the players I mention became too rich I'd move on to the next guy.

I want hungry players that still play for their pay...long term, free agent deals are not smart baseball unless that deal involves one of the team's young players, like Middlebrooks, that they decide to invest in. Similar to the Pedroia contract.

At this point, I would strongly consider bringing back Ortiz and give him a 2/20 deal...Cody Ross also on a 3/15 deal or something like that. These guys have proven they can be successful in this market.

With all this said, I am not advocating that the Sox become a small market type team...on the contrary they should spend money on hungry players, just not the superstars. Looking back now, I think keeping Beltre and VMart might have been smart moves, but that is a hindsight being 20/20 comment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

[QUOTE]

At this point, I would strongly consider bringing back Ortiz and give him a 2/20 deal...Cody Ross also on a 3/15 deal or something like that. These guys have proven they can be successful in this market.

With all this said, I am not advocating that the Sox become a small market type team...on the contrary they should spend money on hungry players, just not the superstars. Looking back now, I think keeping Beltre and VMart might have been smart moves, but that is a hindsight being 20/20 comment.

[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is if the owners dont spend near $200m average each year over a 3 year span they are stealing our money and should be tarred feathered and flogged while being dumped in the harbor. Crawford and Lackey aren't reasons to give up on huge contracts just examples of wrong guys to give them to (cough, Ellsbury, cough). I wanted Beck and Lowell extended and the relative small amount of money wasted on them was not the downfall. Crawford, who never hit for power, and Lackey, who was never ever ever an ace were the problems. You pay premium only for the best of the best. Greinke is not that nor are any pitchers out there this year, Hamilton might be if health maintains, but identify those guys and get them and stop worrying about how ownership spends our money from the $200 bricks just make sure they do. The Yankees wont be hurt by ARod AWful contract moving forward cause they can outspend everyone and the Sox can outspend everyone not named the Yankees. But STOP looking for VALUE long term that is what has KILLED this team. Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Lackey, Clement, and every other $15m player is the problem, legit stars have multiple suitors for $20m+. Sox are in deep s though, cause Bard isnt coming back throwing 91 with no movement, Lester is down below 93, and Lackey is Lackey. Pitching is a huge problem for this team. Not sure there is one sure thing on this team, maybe Buch and Tazawa are closest, Lester, Morales, Dubront and Miller as lesser pieces. But really, any of these guys starting over Pedro Roger or Curt? Thought so. Until someone enters that debate this team is like every other crappy baseball team, holding a lottery ticket of mediocre players and hoping they get lucky (see As, Oakland) or straky (Cardinals, '11 St Louis). And in a free market sport where you have the second greatest revenue stream, that should not be ok.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to smuldy84's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bottom line is if the owners dont spend near $200m average each year over a 3 year span they are stealing our money and should be tarred feathered and flogged while being dumped in the harbor. Crawford and Lackey aren't reasons to give up on huge contracts just examples of wrong guys to give them to (cough, Ellsbury, cough). I wanted Beck and Lowell extended and the relative small amount of money wasted on them was not the downfall. Crawford, who never hit for power, and Lackey, who was never ever ever an ace were the problems. You pay premium only for the best of the best. Greinke is not that nor are any pitchers out there this year, Hamilton might be if health maintains, but identify those guys and get them and stop worrying about how ownership spends our money from the $200 bricks just make sure they do. 

But STOP looking for VALUE long term that is what has KILLED this team. Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Lackey, Clement, and every other $15m player is the problem, legit stars have multiple suitors for $20m+.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree that Sox fans would 'tar and feather' ownership if they don't spend $200million every season...this is the attitude that got them into the mess they were in. As long as they make a legitimate effort to improve their weaknesses on the roster in 2012 then most Sox fans will be OK if the amount spent is not Yankee-like. 2012 was an example of them not doing that, as IMO their focus was misdirected toward the 100th Fenway celebration.

I also disagree that seeking value long term killed this team because NONE of the players you mentioned was anything close to a VALUE contract, and that included Crawford and Gonzalez. Value contracts are Beltre's, Ross's and others like that...good players working their own bridge years.

Since Bill James ain't going away, it's time for the GM to try to use sabermetrics to identify a list of players that meet the on base criteria management prefers, but then use real baseball people to work the personality aspect of said players and to come up with a value indicator which will determine how much to invest and/or trade for these players.

Just making a high free agent offer to a guy like Hamilton, who is a drink away from a full relapse is not smart baseball. Plus was this guy drunk yesterday when he misplayed a easy fly ball and likely cost the Rangers the division title??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If the SOx sign Hamilton I'm going to throttle someone on Yawkey way.

32 years old, a history that has surely aged his body beyond that, and you want to sign him until he's 37?

Have you learned NOTHING from the past 3 years?

Or LAA?

Or LAD?

Or PHI?

How many examples do you need to see spending big money on older players is WRONG!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Step 1. Hire Arnie Beyeler as the new Sox Manager. Backup choices Dave Martinez or Mike Maddux.

Step 2. Trade for Felix Hernandez. The Redsox have the established pitcher: Lester, Top Prospects: Barnes, Bogarts, Brentz, Bradley,Jr., and Webster to create a package to entice the Mariners to make a deal. Also Boston now as the payroll flexibilty to bring in and sign Felix.

Step 3. Resign Ortiz ( We need his power bat) and Ross 

Step 4. Top Free Agent Targets: Napoli (1B), Swisher, Marcum and Lohse. Secondary Targets: Torii Hunter or Delmon Young.

Step 5: Give Ryan Lavarnway the starting catcher job (Lets see what he can do)

Step 6: Hang onto Ellsbury. If we are contending in July we go for it. If we are out of it we trade him to a contender for a prospect or two. 

Step 7: If we don't trade Bogarts in a King Felix deal move him to LF or RF and give him a full minor league season to learn the position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

we need two top tiered pitchers.......and there aren't any

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To be honest, I don't see any easy fixes.  The Sox need at least one good arm for the rotation and one good bat, maybe two, for the lineup (OF and/or 1B).  That's simple enough, but I just don't see good arms and good bats that are all that obtainable, especially if a trade is needed.  If the other team will accept lousy players or prospects in return for a good arm or bat, fine.  But they are going to want guys like Bogaerts or Pedroia or whoever, which creates another hole.  To me, I should explain, Bogaerts is the future 3B, 1B, or OF (LF or RF) because he is primarily a good bat. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now the praise for Billy Beane after manny on the forum bashed him. What a shame that BDC stopped your ability to search out the idiots that were bashing Beane amd Moneyball. So many things to search for in the archives but we are not allowed to do so. Manny wanted Beckett extended ASAP for example, where are they?

[/QUOTE]

I cant stand Billy Beane.  Moneyball if a good way to manufacture runs if your offense isn't potent enough to bash; however, giving away free outs and helping pitchers avoid big innings isn't ideal.

OBP guys at the top of your lineup + power hitters in the middle = more non-solo HR's.

Non solo HR's + Pitching = championships.

The only way money ball makes sense to me is if you invest heavily in your pitching staff and try to make do with a below avg offense.  But this isnt the red sox.

Someone wiser than me once said: "You win championships w pitching, defense, and three run home runs" 

...wise words.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is because many of the premier players are tied up on long term contracts aka the so called abyss you feverently never wish to go back to.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree Jim, both Upton and Shields will be looking for long-term deals, along with Hamilton and if you are going to invest in these players you HAVE TO know they can be comfortable playing in Boston....Hamilton will likely be looking for a Crawford type deal while Upton in the 10-15 range. Shields and Greinke, will be looking for a Lackey contract at least. This Free Agent ABYSS is what I want the Sox to avoid...overspending for players in the marketplace.

This does not mean I don't want them to pay good players fair market value. My approach this offseason would be as follows:

1. Replace the manager and improve team chemistry...I'd look at Mills, Martinez in TB, or Tony Pena...If Farrell came here without giving up anything I'd give him a shot too.
    2. Let the new manager pick his own coaches
    3. Acquire one OF, possibly two if Ellsbury is moved via trade...a name I like is Alex Gordon but he might not be available...I'll let BC figure out this one out...it could be someone like Kalish and a Wigginton that platoon for a year.
    4. Acquire one 1B, via FA or trade...Napoli, K Morales, Morneau are just a few names to consider. I'd like to see a Napoli/Loney combo next year which would retain late inning defense at this position.
    5. Acquire one SP...via free agency or trade...Josh Johnson, Jake Peavy, Anibel Sanchez & Brandan McCarthy are guys I would check into and if the price was fair sign one of them to complete the rotation of Buccholz, Lester, Lackey & Doubront.
    6. Bring back a bullpen of Bailey, Bard (hopefully straightened out), Melanson, Tazawa, Morales (spot starter), Breslow, Hill or Miller. Even Padilla should be considered if the price was right again but it would cost one of those other guys a job.

If the price tag for any of the players I mention became too rich I'd move on to the next guy.

I want hungry players that still play for their pay...long term, free agent deals are not smart baseball unless that deal involves one of the team's young players, like Middlebrooks, that they decide to invest in. Similar to the Pedroia contract.

th all this said, I am not advocating that the Sox become a small market type team...on the contrary they should spend money on hungry players, just not the superstars. Looking back now, I think keeping Beltre and VMart might have been smart moves, but that is a hindsight being 20/20 comment.

That would have been good in the first post. TY

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

32 years old, a history that has surely aged his body beyond that, and you want to sign him until he's 37?

Or LAA?

Or LAD?

Or PHI?

How many examples do you need to see spending big money on older players is WRONG!

[/QUOTE]

Four out of five of the last world series champions won with key contributions from older free-agents....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or LAA?

Or LAD?

Or PHI?

[/QUOTE]

Four out of five of the last world series champions won with key contributions from older free-agents....

[/QUOTE]

Would that be the 2011 Cardinals led by Pujols and Carpenter/Wainright (one was hurt I think)?

Or 2010 Giants led my Lincecum/Cain?

Or 2009 NYY led by a plethora of talent, much of it home-grown?

Or 2008 PHI led by Halladay/Oswalt/Utley/Howard?

Or 2007 Red Sox led by Schilling/Beckett/Lester/Pedroia/etc?

Please show me where, and who were key FA agent signings on any of those teams. Yes, obviously every team has a mix of home grown players and key FA pickups, but which of those teams spent huge money on a street FA that led them to a championship?

Spending 100 million on an addict (drugs, booze, chew) who is 32 is the road to ruin. I can't believe after all the money the Sox have wasted recently on older FA (Lackey, Cameron, Crawford) people want to spend MORE that way. BIG TICKET free agents rarely EVER work out. Someone like Cody Ross? Sure. He'll cost, what? 2/20 at most?

Look at the recent big ticket freea gent signing around baseball:

Arod after he opted out?

Pujols?

The Sox signings mentioned?

Who has worked?

Howard since getting paid?

Maybe Fielder, but we shall see on that one.

Werth?

Bay?

And on and on and on.

NO to HAMILTON!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

SS Iggy/Ciracio

2nd Pedroia

3rd Middlebrooks

CF Ellsbury

RF sign Ross

DH resign Ortiz

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most people figured out he was listing candidates and not expecting every single player mentioned as a necessary target.

Most people did, anyway...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...Pitching sign Shields don't see Rays giving him 9M...

There is a 100% probability the Rays will take the $9M option, even if they turn arouind and trade him for some top prospects. They will NOT LET HIM WALK FOR NOTHING IN RETURN!

Talk about a trade for Shields, but please give up on the idea of signing him as a FA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Step 1. Hire Arnie Beyeler as the new Sox Manager. Backup choices Dave Martinez or Mike Maddux.

Step 2. Trade for Felix Hernandez. The Redsox have the established pitcher: Lester, Top Prospects: Barnes, Bogarts, Brentz, Bradley,Jr., and Webster to create a package to entice the Mariners to make a deal. Also Boston now as the payroll flexibilty to bring in and sign Felix.

Step 3. Resign Ortiz ( We need his power bat) and Ross 

Step 4. Top Free Agent Targets: Napoli (1B), Swisher, Marcum and Lohse. Secondary Targets: Torii Hunter or Delmon Young.

Step 5: Give Ryan Lavarnway the starting catcher job (Lets see what he can do)

Step 6: Hang onto Ellsbury. If we are contending in July we go for it. If we are out of it we trade him to a contender for a prospect or two. 

Step 7: If we don't trade Bogarts in a King Felix deal move him to LF or RF and give him a full minor league season to learn the position.

[/QUOTE]

Step1: Not a bad choices...It should be interesting who they decide on.

Step 2 is mind boggling to me. You want to give up Lester AND our top 3 prospects along with our #5??? WAAAAAAAAY too much for Felix...You want to give up all that top talent and the future of this organization for 2 years of Felix??? Thats organizational suicide IMO...One pitcher does NOT make a whole team.

Step4: I like a couple of the names on that list. I suggested Hunter on a 1yr with option deal but it looks like the halos want him and Grienke back.

Step5: Lavarnway does NOT deserve the starting job IMO. Salty has one more arb year left and should be the starter. The numbers and the naked eye (for those who know what to look for) show his defense and work with the staff has greatly improved. He has one more year to see if he can put it all together offensively and defensively.

Step 6: The importance to another team of trading for Ells this winter is they receive a pick for him by obtaining him this winter. At the deadline, per the new rules, They team obtaining Ells would NOT receive a comp. pick. Ells has more worth this winter with the extra pick in the draft that comes with him opposed to trading him in July...

Step7: Id wait another year before doing that. We need to see how Iggy's offensive development comes along before moving a 20yr old off his original position.

Sections
Shortcuts