2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

Sox have signed the following players:

AJ Pierzynski - $8.25 MM

Edward Mujica - $4.75 MM PER

Mike Napoli - $16 MM PER

Blake Badenhop - $ 1.75 MM (ESTIMATE - FINAL YEAR ARB, LAST YEAR $1.55 MM)

TOTAL - $30.75 MM

Alex Speier reported on 11/08/2013 that the Sox has commitments of $156.75 already for 2014 (he also correctly predicted that Andrew Bailey would be non-tendered).

Sooo, $156.75 PLUS $30.75 = $187.50

The Sox still need a Middle IF and (possibly) a backup/platoon CF.  Does this mean that a starter (Lackey or Peavy or Dempster) will be moved in the next few weeks?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/08/how-much-can-red-sox-spend-winter-2014-payroll

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

They will trade a pitcher.

Ive already said that they could go a little over this year and it wouldnt hurt them as they can reset next year. If they went to 200M, the tax wouldnt be that much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: 2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ive already said that they could go a little over this year and it wouldnt hurt them as they can reset next year. If they went to 200M, the tax wouldnt be that much.

[/QUOTE]

I think that they will only go over if they can get a team friendly deal (Drew at 1 year X 10 MM?)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

They will trade one of the pitcher such as Peavy and Dempster.  For me, I want Dempster out of the rotation badly.  But who want him??  Dempster sucks, and I know there will be someone asking Boston to eat up some of his salary which it will not work out for Boston.  My best bet is that Ben C may have to force himself to trade Peavy at the same time Ben C know that he may not have to eat up any of his salary.

Now if Boston want to make a trade for a CF like Matt Kemp or Either, Boston must include a pitcher for the trade bait.  If the Dodgers do not want either Peavy or Dempster, Boston is more likely to tell the Dodgers to forget the trade!!

And if Drew is coming back, then Boston will force to just trade either Dempster or Peavy.  Then if that is the case, Boston is more likely to play Bradley in the CF.

Heck no way that Boston is going to trade two high paid pitcher such as Lackey and PEavy or Dempster and Peavy,.   Boston must have a good five starting rotation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2014 Red Sox Player Payroll Budget

(Luxury Tax Dollars)

$ 16.5M Lackey (then 1 year at league min)

$16M  Napoli (then 1 year then FA)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$ 13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester (then FA)

$8.25M AJ P (then FA)

$7.5M Buchholz (to ’15, then club options at $13M & $13.5M)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$4.75M Mujica (to '15, then FA)

$4.25M Uehara (option is vested)

$3.125M Breslow ($4M club option in ’15 w. $0.1M buyout)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub TOTAL: ~$150M 

Estimated Arbitration (2013 salary):

$2.3M  Morales 3 of 3 ($1.49M)

$2.2M  Miller 3 of 3 ($1.48M)

$2.2M Badenhop 3 of 3 ($1.55M)

$1.7M  Tazawa 1 of 3 ($0.82M)

$1.6M  Carp 1 of 3 ($0.51M)

Estimated Arb Total: $10M

Estimated Pre-Arb Players' Total: $12M

Total Estimated 2014 Red Sox Payroll Budget:$172M 

Add the player pension fee of about $11M and the $3.9M payment to the Dodgers... 

Total Luxury Limit Budget for 2014: $187M

This leaves about $2M to spend and still be below the limit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

don't forget money for call ups

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AJ Pierzynski - $8.25 MM

Mike Napoli - $16 MM PER

TOTAL - $30.75 MM

Alex Speier reported on 11/08/2013 that the Sox has commitments of $156.75 already for 2014 (he also correctly predicted that Andrew Bailey would be non-tendered).

The Sox still need a Middle IF and (possibly) a backup/platoon CF.  Does this mean that a starter (Lackey or Peavy or Dempster) will be moved in the next few weeks?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/11/08/how-much-can-red-sox-spend-winter-2014-payroll

[/QUOTE]

Along with someone else.

Right now, they have 4 bench players (Ross, Carp, Gomes, Holt?/utility infiedler?).  If they add a middle infieder AND a RHH backup CF, they have to take two players off the 25 man.  

Chances are it is Holt and Carp...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that they will only go over if they can get a team friendly deal (Drew at 1 year X 10 MM?)

[/QUOTE]

Drew rejected the Q.O. of 14 mil. He is certainly not going to sign for 10 mil. Have to think that he is gone. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

AJ Pierzynski - $8.25 MM

Mike Napoli - $16 MM PER

TOTAL - $30.75 MM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Stephen Drew - SS -  Red Sox

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe believes that re-signing Stephen Drew remains an possibility for the Red Sox.

Abraham cautions detractors not to underestimate how much the Red Sox like the veteran shortstop. His market has been incredibly quiet this winter, and the World Champions would love to bring him back at a discount to provide defensive stability at shortstop while having an insurance policy in case Will Middlebrooks falters at third base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

gotta move dempster, peavy or lackey, though dempster/peavy more likely. hopefully we can deal dempster. given that scott feldman got 10 mill per, dempsters 13 mill might not seem too unreasonable for a team in need of pitching. dealing dempster would be ideal as he really has no place on the team. with lester, buchholz, lackey, peavy, and guys like webster/doubront/ranuado competing for the 5th spot. If we land matt kemp (which i think we will), i think our line up lookis pretty good:

s.victorino (rf)

d.pedroia (2b)

m.kemp (lf)

d.ortiz (dh)

m.napoli (1b)

x.bogaerts (ss)

a.pierzynski (c)

w.middlebrooks (3b)

j.bradley jr (cf)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

gotta move dempster, peavy or lackey, though dempster/peavy more likely. hopefully we can deal dempster. given that scott feldman got 10 mill per, dempsters 13 mill might not seem too unreasonable for a team in need of pitching. dealing dempster would be ideal as he really has no place on the team. with lester, buchholz, lackey, peavy, and guys like webster/doubront/ranuado competing for the 5th spot. If we land matt kemp (which i think we will), i think our line up lookis pretty good:

s.victorino (rf)

d.pedroia (2b)

m.kemp (lf)

d.ortiz (dh)

m.napoli (1b)

x.bogaerts (ss)

a.pierzynski (c)

w.middlebrooks (3b)

j.bradley jr (cf)

[/QUOTE]

i like this....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember all the posters here that disagreed with me when I said Crawford's deal would cripple us for 7 years?

Now, without CC's deal on the books, we are still up against the wall and couldn't afford to keep 3 of our 4 big free agents this year.

What would we have done this winter had we still had CC?

As of now...

Net Gains & Losses so far:

Minus:

Ellsbury

Salty

Drew 

Bailey 

Hanrahan

Also: Iggy, Aceves, Mortensen, Ciriaco, McDonald, Bard & Berry

Plus:

Pierzynski

Mujica

Badenhop

Castellanos

Hinojosa

Also, probable more time from Bogaerts, JBJ, Workman, Britton, Middy, Ross, Buch, and others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

AJ Pierzynski - $8.25 MM

Mike Napoli - $16 MM PER

TOTAL - $30.75 MM

[/QUOTE]

Along with someone else.

Right now, they have 4 bench players (Ross, Carp, Gomes, Holt?/utility infiedler?).  If they add a middle infieder AND a RHH backup CF, they have to take two players off the 25 man.  

Chances are it is Holt and Carp...

[/QUOTE]

What are you smoking man?  Carp is just the type of hitter you hold onto and hope he turns into something impressive.  Let's see if that OPS is sustainable for a second year.  He is also insurance against Napoli turning into a pumpkin.  Holt is your backup infielder at the current moment, so we have a problem. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

s.victorino (rf)

d.pedroia (2b)

m.kemp (lf)

d.ortiz (dh)

m.napoli (1b)

x.bogaerts (ss)

a.pierzynski (c)

w.middlebrooks (3b)

j.bradley jr (cf)

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that Kemp is playing out the same contract that Manny Ramirez was given at the same amount per year.  If we are $2 million under the luxury tax, dempster doesn't cover the total cost of that.  Lackey makes league minimum next year because of his injury triggering a clause in his contract, so there is no way you trade him.  Let's not forget that Lackey was our best pitcher during the year and was pretty damn good in the playoffs.

Peavy also only cuts a portion of that conract down, but not nearly close enough. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

They could still add one more high priced player. Still would not 100% rule out Choo. However, they would have to trade at least 1 high priced player. Maybe even Gomes and Morales too. But I would be shocked if they go over the 189 by tax time. I believe there is a huge bonus for being under 189.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

They could still add one more high priced player. Still would not 100% rule out Choo. However, they would have to trade at least 1 high priced player. Maybe even Gomes and Morales too. But I would be shocked if they go over the 189 by tax time. I believe there is a huge bonus for being under 189.

Napoli got $16 mil per year.  How much do you think Choo is going to command per year?  We only have like 2 mil left to spend, so where does the ~$20 mil come from?   Dempster only relieves 13 mil... still 5 short.  Morales is ~2 mil 

Choo isn't walking through that door.  We still have to sign Lester after Clay's salary increases from 7.7 to ~$12 mil next year.  Choo wouldn't make that any easier with his contract demands. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew rejected the Q.O. of 14 mil. He is certainly not going to sign for 10 mil. Have to think that he is gone. 

[/QUOTE]

The potential loss of a draft pick is killing Drew's value.  I was sure that the Cards were going to sign him, but opted for the PED guy (Peralta) at more $$ than Drew would have commanded.

Same thing happened to Varitek a few years ago.  Sox tendered at $10 MM, he declined (probably due to Boras promising him more) and then he settled for 50% less at $5 MM.

I think that if Drew comes back, it will be for less than $14 MM and only for 1 year.  Then there will be some handshake agreement not to tender him again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli got $16 mil per year.  How much do you think Choo is going to command per year?  We only have like 2 mil left to spend, so where does the ~$20 mil come from?   Dempster only relieves 13 mil... still 5 short.  Morales is ~2 mil 

Choo isn't walking through that door.  We still have to sign Lester after Clay's salary increases from 7.7 to ~$12 mil next year.  Choo wouldn't make that any easier with his contract demands. 

[/QUOTE]

Your point about signings affecting other signings like Lester is a good one and something I have thought about talking about. Once you start offering big or long money deals, the rest of the players could start thinking they should get it too. One big contract can potentially negatively effect signings for years to come. While the 2 year deal with Naps and of course the Pedey deal, along with holding the line on Ellsbury and Salty has positive internal signing impacts. So there is something to say about not signing a guy like Choo for a big or long deal.

With that said, say we go crazy and offer Choo 6-100[my limit BTW], thats only 16.7. All we need to cut is 15.7. Peavy-Morales gets you there with a million to play with. And Dempster's full ride plus Morales gets you really close[less then a million]. And like I said, you might need to trade Gomes while adding a CF-RFer thats cheaper. Probably a good idea anyway if we add Choo.

You may say, what about back up SS? Were trading Peavy or Dempster for Mariekson Julius Gregorius, who makes less then 500 thousand. 

Its totally doable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

My prediction:  They will trade Dempster or maybe Peavy. Bring in a RHH OF to compliment Bradley, mid relief and a utility IF.

Drew is gone.  Choo doesn't seem like a mgmt type signing.  Kemp? .....goodness gracious NO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

AJ Pierzynski - $8.25 MM

Mike Napoli - $16 MM PER

TOTAL - $30.75 MM

It's all fine and dandy with millions of dollars being spent on players but for the money being thrown arould like  it grows on trees.... Is there  any millionaire out there that can bunt a baseball?.... Can't figure out the spending for  so called ( great must have ballplayers) and they can't lay down a bunt. To me this is like signing a wide reciever to millons  and he can't catch a football. Not every player hits home runs.

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Red Sox in the past haven't cared about going over. They were under last year so the whole tax resets. I don't think they are going to mind playing the tax on 5 million dollars or so.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Last year was our "hold the line year". Now that we reset we should act like the large market club we are and spend some money! Losing out on Carlos Beltran for a measly 3yrs at 15 per hurt alot. He's still got a lot in the tank and would have done well at Fenway I think. Now, alas, the only true "game changer" left as a FA is Kemp. I HATE his injury prone ways and somewhat arrogant demeanor, but if they'd pay $45 mill on his contract I'd grab him up like a baguette. He'd be a monster in Beantown! But we've just gotta get every damn leprechaun in town to share some luck with us that we can keep him healthy. I say pull the trigger, as he's ours if we want him. And I expect those Yanks are going to charge over their salary cap once again, their protestations notwithstanding. The Cano decision was gutsy, but they'll blow it on pitching and elsewhere to remain in the 50% tax penalty range. Bradley is NOT ready guys. I'm sorry some wish otherwise, but players develope at their own speed, not the teams timeframe. He needs another year in AAA to mature. I say Kemp in Beantown= a good chance to defend our crown. We lack the guns now minus Ellsbury and need to add a stud to replace him. 

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(Luxury Tax Dollars)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$ 13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester (then FA)

$8.25M AJ P (then FA)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Add the player pension fee of about $11M and the $3.9M payment to the Dodgers... 

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year was our "hold the line year". Now that we reset we should act like the large market club we are and spend some money! Losing out on Carlos Beltran for a measly 3yrs at 15 per hurt alot. He's still got a lot in the tank and would have done well at Fenway I think. Now, alas, the only true "game changer" left as a FA is Kemp. I HATE his injury prone ways and somewhat arrogant demeanor, but if they'd pay $45 mill on his contract I'd grab him up like a baguette. He'd be a monster in Beantown! But we've just gotta get every damn leprechaun in town to share some luck with us that we can keep him healthy. I say pull the trigger, as he's ours if we want him. And I expect those Yanks are going to charge over their salary cap once again, their protestations notwithstanding. The Cano decision was gutsy, but they'll blow it on pitching and elsewhere to remain in the 50% tax penalty range. Bradley is NOT ready guys. I'm sorry some wish otherwise, but players develope at their own speed, not the teams timeframe. He needs another year in AAA to mature. I say Kemp in Beantown= a good chance to defend our crown. We lack the guns now minus Ellsbury and need to add a stud to replace him. 

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(Luxury Tax Dollars)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$ 13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester (then FA)

$8.25M AJ P (then FA)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Three years for Beltran is not measly that is a lot. They need a CFer not a DH part time corner outfielder. Also the Yankees are about 10 Mil under 189 so the Red Sox are currently the second highest payroll in baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They will trade one of the pitcher such as Peavy and Dempster.  For me, I want Dempster out of the rotation badly.  But who want him??  Dempster sucks, and I know there will be someone asking Boston to eat up some of his salary which it will not work out for Boston.  My best bet is that Ben C may have to force himself to trade Peavy at the same time Ben C know that he may not have to eat up any of his salary.

Now if Boston want to make a trade for a CF like Matt Kemp or Either, Boston must include a pitcher for the trade bait.  If the Dodgers do not want either Peavy or Dempster, Boston is more likely to tell the Dodgers to forget the trade!!

And if Drew is coming back, then Boston will force to just trade either Dempster or Peavy.  Then if that is the case, Boston is more likely to play Bradley in the CF.

Heck no way that Boston is going to trade two high paid pitcher such as Lackey and PEavy or Dempster and Peavy,.   Boston must have a good five starting rotation.

[/QUOTE]

A pitcher that can go 180+IP and give you around a 4era year in and year out doesnt suck. hes been way more reliable than Lackey, Peavy or Buchholz.

If they resign Drew, you might kiss Middys a s s goodbye in a trade. I think they trust Xander more than Middy. I just dont like the idea of playing Xander out of position. BC has already said pretty clearly that they see Xander as a SS. Have to wait and see. Im sure Ben has a few tricks up his sleeve.

8+ teams are interested in either Lackey or Doubront, and for obvious reasons. Peavy and Dempster wont bring back a whole lot.

Sections
Shortcuts