2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Remember all the posters here that disagreed with me when I said Crawford's deal would cripple us for 7 years?

Now, without CC's deal on the books, we are still up against the wall and couldn't afford to keep 3 of our 4 big free agents this year.

What would we have done this winter had we still had CC?

As of now...

Net Gains & Losses so far:

Minus:

Ellsbury

Salty

Drew 

Bailey 

Hanrahan

Also: Iggy, Aceves, Mortensen, Ciriaco, McDonald, Bard & Berry

Plus:

Pierzynski

Mujica

Badenhop

Castellanos

Hinojosa

Also, probable more time from Bogaerts, JBJ, Workman, Britton, Middy, Ross, Buch, and others.

They may have liked the palyer, but I think most smart folks here didnt like the money and years on that deal. I sure didnt. Thought it was the dumbest signing in their history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2014 Boston Red Sox Payroll currently at $187.5 MM - Only $1.5 MM under the Luxury tax?

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

The Red Sox in the past haven't cared about going over. They were under last year so the whole tax resets. I don't think they are going to mind playing the tax on 5 million dollars or so.

Ive been saying this afor a while now. the tax on 11M, which brings them to 200M is only 17%. they would only be taxed about 1.8M. Now the NYY are going to be taxed at 50% this year, every dollar they go over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Beltran is a switch hitting, 3x's gold glove winning, .300/25/100ish hitting stud. Of course you don't get that for free! The only question is does he have anything left...and the answer is a resounding YES. He's also had at least 520 AB's for 3 yrs in a row...aging gracefully I'd say. In Boston he'd have likely torn the cover off the ball and played a solid outfield. It would have been a potent, yet fairly inexpensive way to transition to Bradley. But alas, it is what it is. :(  

In response to Teakus' comment:

Last year was our "hold the line year". Now that we reset we should act like the large market club we are and spend some money! Losing out on Carlos Beltran for a measly 3yrs at 15 per hurt alot. He's still got a lot in the tank and would have done well at Fenway I think. Now, alas, the only true "game changer" left as a FA is Kemp. I HATE his injury prone ways and somewhat arrogant demeanor, but if they'd pay $45 mill on his contract I'd grab him up like a baguette. He'd be a monster in Beantown! But we've just gotta get every damn leprechaun in town to share some luck with us that we can keep him healthy. I say pull the trigger, as he's ours if we want him. And I expect those Yanks are going to charge over their salary cap once again, their protestations notwithstanding. The Cano decision was gutsy, but they'll blow it on pitching and elsewhere to remain in the 50% tax penalty range. Bradley is NOT ready guys. I'm sorry some wish otherwise, but players develope at their own speed, not the teams timeframe. He needs another year in AAA to mature. I say Kemp in Beantown= a good chance to defend our crown. We lack the guns now minus Ellsbury and need to add a stud to replace him. 

2014 Red Sox Player Payroll Budget

(Luxury Tax Dollars)

$ 16.5M Lackey (then 1 year at league min)

$16M  Napoli (then 1 year then FA)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$ 13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester (then FA)

$8.25M AJ P (then FA)

$7.5M Buchholz (to ’15, then club options at $13M & $13.5M)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$4.75M Mujica (to '15, then FA)

$4.25M Uehara (option is vested)

$3.125M Breslow ($4M club option in ’15 w. $0.1M buyout)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub TOTAL: ~$150M 

Estimated Arbitration (2013 salary):

$2.3M  Morales 3 of 3 ($1.49M)

$2.2M  Miller 3 of 3 ($1.48M)

$2.2M Badenhop 3 of 3 ($1.55M)

$1.7M  Tazawa 1 of 3 ($0.82M)

$1.6M  Carp 1 of 3 ($0.51M)

Estimated Arb Total: $10M

Estimated Pre-Arb Players' Total: $12M

Total Estimated 2014 Red Sox Payroll Budget:$172M 

Add the player pension fee of about $11M and the $3.9M payment to the Dodgers... 

Total Luxury Limit Budget for 2014: $187M

This leaves about $2M to spend and still be below the limit.

Three years for Beltran is not measly that is a lot. They need a CFer not a DH part time corner outfielder. Also the Yankees are about 10 Mil under 189 so the Red Sox are currently the second highest payroll in baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Beltran is a switch hitting, 3x's gold glove winning, .300/25/100ish hitting stud. Of course you don't get that for free! The only question is does he have anything left...and the answer is a resounding YES. He's also had at least 520 AB's for 3 yrs in a row...aging gracefully I'd say. In Boston he'd have likely torn the cover off the ball and played a solid outfield. It would have been a potent, yet fairly inexpensive way to transition to Bradley. But alas, it is what it is. :(  

Last year was our "hold the line year". Now that we reset we should act like the large market club we are and spend some money! Losing out on Carlos Beltran for a measly 3yrs at 15 per hurt alot. He's still got a lot in the tank and would have done well at Fenway I think. Now, alas, the only true "game changer" left as a FA is Kemp. I HATE his injury prone ways and somewhat arrogant demeanor, but if they'd pay $45 mill on his contract I'd grab him up like a baguette. He'd be a monster in Beantown! But we've just gotta get every damn leprechaun in town to share some luck with us that we can keep him healthy. I say pull the trigger, as he's ours if we want him. And I expect those Yanks are going to charge over their salary cap once again, their protestations notwithstanding. The Cano decision was gutsy, but they'll blow it on pitching and elsewhere to remain in the 50% tax penalty range. Bradley is NOT ready guys. I'm sorry some wish otherwise, but players develope at their own speed, not the teams timeframe. He needs another year in AAA to mature. I say Kemp in Beantown= a good chance to defend our crown. We lack the guns now minus Ellsbury and need to add a stud to replace him. 

2014 Red Sox Player Payroll Budget

(Luxury Tax Dollars)

$ 16.5M Lackey (then 1 year at league min)

$16M  Napoli (then 1 year then FA)

$14.5M Peavy (then FA)

$13.75M Pedroia

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$ 13M Ortiz (then FA)

$13M Victorino (to ’15)

$13M Lester (then FA)

$8.25M AJ P (then FA)

$7.5M Buchholz (to ’15, then club options at $13M & $13.5M)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$4.75M Mujica (to '15, then FA)

$4.25M Uehara (option is vested)

$3.125M Breslow ($4M club option in ’15 w. $0.1M buyout)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub TOTAL: ~$150M 

Estimated Arbitration (2013 salary):

$2.3M  Morales 3 of 3 ($1.49M)

$2.2M  Miller 3 of 3 ($1.48M)

$2.2M Badenhop 3 of 3 ($1.55M)

$1.7M  Tazawa 1 of 3 ($0.82M)

$1.6M  Carp 1 of 3 ($0.51M)

Estimated Arb Total: $10M

Estimated Pre-Arb Players' Total: $12M

Total Estimated 2014 Red Sox Payroll Budget:$172M 

Add the player pension fee of about $11M and the $3.9M payment to the Dodgers... 

Total Luxury Limit Budget for 2014: $187M

This leaves about $2M to spend and still be below the limit.

Three years for Beltran is not measly that is a lot. They need a CFer not a DH part time corner outfielder. Also the Yankees are about 10 Mil under 189 so the Red Sox are currently the second highest payroll in baseball.

They NEED a RHH CF'er to go with JBJ. Beltran is obviously a good player, but guys at his age drop off the map rather quickly. If he gets an injury, it takes longer to come back. Naps was the protection for Papi and filled a need at the same time. With that deal, Beltran isnt needed now, he would be a luxury.

This team has spent right up to the cap almost every year, so I think they have been acting like a large market team for years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

gotta move dempster, peavy or lackey, though dempster/peavy more likely. hopefully we can deal dempster. given that scott feldman got 10 mill per, dempsters 13 mill might not seem too unreasonable for a team in need of pitching. dealing dempster would be ideal as he really has no place on the team. with lester, buchholz, lackey, peavy, and guys like webster/doubront/ranuado competing for the 5th spot. If we land matt kemp (which i think we will), i think our line up lookis pretty good:

s.victorino (rf)

d.pedroia (2b)

m.kemp (lf)

d.ortiz (dh)

m.napoli (1b)

x.bogaerts (ss)

a.pierzynski (c)

w.middlebrooks (3b)

j.bradley jr (cf)

You do realize that Kemp is playing out the same contract that Manny Ramirez was given at the same amount per year.  If we are $2 million under the luxury tax, dempster doesn't cover the total cost of that.  Lackey makes league minimum next year because of his injury triggering a clause in his contract, so there is no way you trade him.  Let's not forget that Lackey was our best pitcher during the year and was pretty damn good in the playoffs.

Peavy also only cuts a portion of that conract down, but not nearly close enough. 

This is exactly why someone would trade him.  He is an amazing value over the next two years and all the cost is loaded in 2014.

Lackey is who you could get a young, cost controlled plus player for.

If the Red Sox want to look more long term, this would be the way togo.

Obviously you only do this with a team desperate for a frontline starter with the right chip to trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Agreed, move Lackey but then a SP is needed.  Who is the starting 5?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox are obviously not 'looking long term', as the thread title confirms.  Therefore moving Lackey is not happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think the Sox will have to give up some prospects for a Team to take Dempster or Peavy. Thats what I would ask for if I was a GM for another club. Unless the Sox eat some Salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Seriously, with the dearth of pitching?? The Sox gave up one of their better prospects to get Peavy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They will trade a pitcher.

Ive already said that they could go a little over this year and it wouldnt hurt them as they can reset next year. If they went to 200M, the tax wouldnt be that much.

I agree they try and dump Dempster if they can at the very least.  Maybe even Lackey or Peavy if they really want to move forward with young pitchers and improve our lineup at the same time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They will trade a pitcher.

Ive already said that they could go a little over this year and it wouldnt hurt them as they can reset next year. If they went to 200M, the tax wouldnt be that much.

Exactly, I don't think the Sox are that afraid to go over the salary cap, and doing so a little bit is really no big deal.

Every year you stay over the cap the percentage of luxury tax you pay goes up.  So teams that are above it and have been above it are the teams that will suffer financial ramifications. 

This is another reason to love the short term contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Raja Davis.

I know, I know, I know he is "no good" well to those who say that I say this.

Look at his splits...I'm looking for a part time outfielder to hit lefties, his speed replaces Ellsburys on those days and as a pinch runner.

And he's going to be cheap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Raja Davis.

Look at his splits...I'm looking for a part time outfielder to hit lefties, his speed replaces Ellsburys on those days and as a pinch runner.

How cheap?  Franklin Morales cheap, Gomes cheap or Dempster cheap?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Raja Davis.

How cheap?  Franklin Morales cheap, Gomes cheap or Dempster cheap?

He won't get starters money, That's for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

those $'s are wrong; they are about 12 mil under and that's before they give a starter away most likely Dempster......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

and you gotta love that next year we are only committed to $40 mil in payroll (less than half nyy's) in a year when Kershaw and Scherzer will be (relatively young) free agents we could jump all over one of them............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I think the Sox will have to give up some prospects for a Team to take Dempster or Peavy. Thats what I would ask for if I was a GM for another club. Unless the Sox eat some Salary.

Have you seen what some teams have paid pitchers as good as or worse than Dempster?

We could trade him for a low level prospect easily. If we paid $3-5M of his deal, we could get something decent.

I think we may end up trading Peavy. We'd save $14M that could be used to upgrade some slot, and get a decent player in return (CF?  SS?)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Have you seen what some teams have paid pitchers as good as or worse than Dempster?

We could trade him for a low level prospect easily. If we paid $3-5M of his deal, we could get something decent.

I think we may end up trading Peavy. We'd save $14M that could be used to upgrade some slot, and get a decent player in return (CF?  SS?)

I hope you're right

Lackey should also be on the block

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

those $'s are wrong; they are about 12 mil under and that's before they give a starter away most likely Dempster......

Are you forgetting the $10-11M that goes to the player pension fund and counts against the luxury limit?

Are you forgetting the $3.9M payment to the Dodgers that goes on our budget?

We will be at about $185-188 after the arb signings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The goal is to improve your team every year and my guess is the Sox have improved, yes they lost ellsbury and yes they will need too replace him, and not with just Bradley. They improved in the pen with the additions of Badenhop and Mujica, and though it might only be a slight improvement AJP is an upgrade over Dick stuart Saltalamacchia! As for salary I have no idea where they stand against the cap, as I've heard three different cap numbers ranging from 184mil to 189mil... Somewhere in between is probably the actual number. The Sox will keep adding and so will the Yankees but the difference is the Yankees are using dollars as their currancy, while I think the Sox are using their trade pieces at this point in time.

Kemp may be moving but it won't be Boston. Think Seattle might be a more likely landing spot, as they need the cache he brings to match Robbie's. Hey but again don't ask me I thought Naps was on the verge of leaving.... Drew is a 50/50 shot of returning at this point in time, and only because he has pictures of Farrell in a compremising position...LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

and you gotta love that next year we are only committed to $40 mil in payroll (less than half nyy's) in a year when Kershaw and Scherzer will be (relatively young) free agents we could jump all over one of them............

How do we replace Papi, Lester, and others without paying bigtime?

Besides, it's more than $40M...

2015 salary (AVV):

Napoli $16M

Victorino $13M

Pedroia $14M

Buchholz $7.5M

Lackey $Min wage

Total: $50+M  (plus maybe Breslow's $4M option)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You tell me Mr GM. Tell me the Teams you think would do this deal. You better eat alot of money for me to take Salary relief for you. Like Soriano to the Yanks. Cubs got 2 good Prospects.

These guys are getting 13.5 and 14 million and past their prime. On their last year of a contract.

Yeah we'll take these guys off your hands, eat some money, then they are gone, expand payroll this year, for guys who have very little left.

Sections
Shortcuts