2014 Boston Red Sox : What went wrong?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: 2014 Boston Red Sox : What went wrong?

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we are done but this OP suggests we are 22 games out like the Rangers.... we are less than 10 games out.... factor in the FACT you cannot win every year I don't see the point in lambasting the organization.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, a team can; the Yanks proved that. Of course, they had an organization committed to winning every year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have yet to see a Yankee forum where the fans don't blast their team, FO, and management every single day that they are not winning.

[/QUOTE]

Things have changed for the worse since George is no longer running things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

The main thing wrong with this team is that a fan like myself can't even blame injuries for this travesty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off, this is about this season, not the recent past seasons.  We are in last place, 9 1/2 games out with a 47 - 55 record. It has been a struggle all year to just try and get to .500  .  The injuries have not been a major problem. We have probably been healthier than most teams.  What went wrong?  Just about anything that myself or a few others have pointed to as a problem , has been aggressively rebutted by many posters on here. These same posters have defended , complimented and extolled ownership, the front office, the manager and just about every single player. Folks, any impartial observer would tell you that somewhere along the line, someone or several someones are not doing a very good job. I have given my view on this many ( probably too many ) times. Anyone have an idea about what , if anything , went wrong ? And what , if anything , can and should be done to fix it ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

The foolish delusion that last year champs could repeat or simply compete without adding new and solid talent via FA or trades...in other words, sox are paying for having done nothing during offseason...also add up the unfilled hole left by Ells...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First off, this is about this season, not the recent past seasons.  We are in last place, 9 1/2 games out with a 47 - 55 record. It has been a struggle all year to just try and get to .500  .  The injuries have not been a major problem. We have probably been healthier than most teams.  What went wrong?  Just about anything that myself or a few others have pointed to as a problem , has been aggressively rebutted by many posters on here. These same posters have defended , complimented and extolled ownership, the front office, the manager and just about every single player. Folks, any impartial observer would tell you that somewhere along the line, someone or several someones are not doing a very good job. I have given my view on this many ( probably too many ) times. Anyone have an idea about what , if anything , went wrong ? And what , if anything , can and should be done to fix it ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

The foolish delusion that last year champs could repeat or simply compete without adding new and solid talent via FA or trades...in other words, sox are paying for having done nothing during offseason...also add up the unfilled hole left by Ells...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   To me, the biggest thing is that we did not make even one significant addition to the team this off season. Not one.  That is called standing pat. Actually it is worse than standing pat , since we lost three starters from the championship team. That is placing far too much faith in the remaining players to be able to duplicate last year's performance , and in the rookies to step right in and produce.  Realistically, it was difficult to think that the team would be as good as last year. And as we have seen, they are not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Winning the 2013 WS with that overachieving close knit team was great. However, in the long run it may be a curse, because it's going to take more than a few years for this organization to be a serious threat again. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say you are spot on, the sox sat back and did nothing, let ells go while seeming expecting jbj to step in and fill his shoes, went into the season with one of the worst outfields if not the worst in baseball, and went with a rotation filled with question marks beyond lester. So far only lester and lackey have been consistent, doubront/workman/buchholz/de la rosa have all been hit or miss. The fax that the FO thought they could win with that much uncertainty is a joke and shows how pathetic they are at their jobs. Ben should be fired, without question. He has yet to make one major move in 2 years since he became gm. I know lucchino and henry factor into decisions as well, but the GM is the one who ultimately makes things happen. Ben has been complacent and played things safe since he took over as gm. He dumped agon/beck/craw to the dodgers and then proceeded to hand out short term contracts to all the middle aged free agents available. What he forgot was, we are a big market team with high ticket prices and expensive everything. People don’t want to pay top dollar to see a team of guys who a are 2-3 years away from retirement and 4-5 rookies. People want a team that can battle with the best of the best and come out on top, a team that no matter who we are playing, we feel like we can win. This team never felt that way. This team you expect to lose no matter who they are playing. This team is boring to watch and don’t play with an edge like red sox teams of the past. Ben and co should be embarrassed that they put such a joke of a team on the field with such a multitude of resources available to them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Management was too busy patting themselves on the back for a team that seriously overachieved and even surprised them. The Red Sox Front Office was putting themselves in for Medals of Honor at the Winter Meetings instead of picking up players to make up for the loss of Ellsbury and Saltalamachia. The FO also decided to go with two rookies who were making major league minimum pay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

They were a mentally tough team last year. They would grind out wins. Played fundamental and situational baseball. Hard to do every year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree .  The only way to truly evaluate Larry's performance, would b for him to leave, and then we could check the difference.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt he'd get a job somewhere else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

...which means he'll hang on to this one, thanks very much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The plan was terrible from the start because it relied on a bunch of long shots coming in (Buch being healthy, Boagerts, Middlebrooks, and Bradley playing great; Nava repeating; etc)

Because they were so lucky in 2013 with this - they tried it again in 2014.

Hopefully next year's plan isn;t relying on luck as a "plan"

Defense.  It is still important.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PTI

Anyone have an idea about what , if anything , went wrong ?

sorry if I ruin your thread dale

but as a MFYfan I can't help asking

what do U think adrián gonzález would say

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He would say, "they traded me in 2012, and it was a major factor in enabling them to win the WS in 2013." What a stupid question Zac.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Last year was a miracle team that played over it's head to win it all. We removed two important offensive pieces from that team and somehow expected another miracle, with a back up strategy to mumble to angry fans that "we won it 3yrs in 10! Quit yer whining!!" The bottom line is the Red Sox ownership group took the year off this season, because it felt it had earned the right to. It is exactly what it appears to be, and no amount of spin from the front office will be effective in deceiving anyone with half a brain. The question now is: what is the plan to rebuild this team? How will management position itself to compete in 2015 by making moves before this years trading deadline? And, perhaps most importantly, when will this club with the highest ticket prices in all of baseball assert itself once again as the large market club it is? Can we add some STUD players via trade or free agency for next year, or do we keep acting like a fiscally strapped mid market club content to add marginal talents and hope they perform better than their lifetime averages? Inquiring minds wanna know!!

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Obviously not having Shane for most of the first half hurt.  I think missing tek hurt. 

Not able to hit with runners on is a big reason why we are in last place. Need more speed on the bases.  People can cut up JBJ all day long but he was supposed to start in Pawtucket and injuries kept him here.  The scouting reports on Xander were terrible and because he did an average job in last year's post season, the sox and some fans fell in love with him.  His error count is not a surprise or his current average.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again and less wordy:

PEDROIA'S AND NAPOLI'S POOR CLUTCH HITTING (.200 and .180 w/RISP respectively in the first half).

[/QUOTE]

And it will be your mantra for 2014...duly noted.

[/QUOTE]

I know I've been harping on this for awhile, but it's so glaring. The Sox as a team, with the exception of Ortiz, have been horrible in the clutch. Regardless of what the Sox did, they had the reasonable expectation that their No. 3 hitter and the No. 5 hitter would at least equal their career averages.

I don't know how anyone can simply ignore how bad they've been when it comes to hitting with runners on base. The Sox have lost 20 games by one run. You don't think that had Pedroia hit like he normally does w/RISP that it might be worth at least two or three more wins? And if Napoli hit like he should have, that worth another two or three wins in those one-run games.

So instead of 47 wins, the Sox might be 53-47. Even it everyone did the same, the Sox would be just 2.5 games out. Maybe that takes pressure off Bogaerts and Bradley, not to mention what it does to the opposing pitchers.

Then if Middlebrooks hit like hit did the last two months last year, that might be worth another two wins and the Sox are right there. So then, if everyone else did the same as they've done now, the Sox would be right there battling for first place.

I really don't understand how any reasonable analysis of this season doesn't begin with how bad two key veterans in the heart of the order have been at driving in runs. How is it Larry's fault, or Ben's fault or Farrell's fault that Pedroia and Napoli have been so horrible this year at driving in runs?

[/QUOTE]

You nailed it, Roy.

RISP numbers have been killing this team.

It's nonsense to think that it's because the FO didn't go out and sign McCann, Beltran or Abreu.

Pedrioa and Napoli's and Nava's atrocious numbers with runners on would still be hosing this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The plan was terrible from the start because it relied on a bunch of long shots coming in (Buch being healthy, Boagerts, Middlebrooks, and Bradley playing great; Nava repeating; etc)

Because they were so lucky in 2013 with this - they tried it again in 2014.

Hopefully next year's plan isn;t relying on luck as a "plan"

Defense.  It is still important.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was called "GOING CHEAP."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PTI

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He would say, "they traded me in 2012, and it was a major factor in enabling them to win the WS in 2013." What a stupid question Zac.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, A-gone would have said "god wanted the SOX to finish in the cellar this year."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think the disaster pretty much started and ended with the outfield - no Ells, no leadoff greatness, and then Victorino reverted back to his injured norm, then the Four horsemen of mediocrity took it from there. No power and no hitting for average = failure....then to compound matters they let probably the best team guy go in Salty who exemplified persistence, hard-work, effort and replaced him with the league's most hated player who hit as much as he was loved for the team. 

This is all on Ben or whoever the heck is calling the shots...

As always - 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think the disaster pretty much started and ended with the outfield - no Ells, no leadoff greatness, and then Victorino reverted back to his injured norm, then the Four horsemen of mediocrity took it from there. No power and no hitting for average = failure....then to compound matters they let probably the best team guy go in Salty who exemplified persistence, hard-work, effort and replaced him with the league's most hated player who hit as much as he was loved for the team. 

[/QUOTE]

No Ells but I would not have signed him either.  Tek was something they should have given more thought to. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey GEO, I think a few of us know 'who's calling the shots' and it ain't Benny boy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Winning the 2013 WS with that overachieving close knit team was great. However, in the long run it may be a curse, because it's going to take more than a few years for this organization to be a serious threat again. 

[/QUOTE]

No man, the curse was when we couldn't win one.

How do you know it will take that long to threaten again?  Things looked pretty bleak at the end of 2012 too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree .  The only way to truly evaluate Larry's performance, would b for him to leave, and then we could check the difference.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt he'd get a job somewhere else.

[/QUOTE]

I think larry would get hired in a ny minute

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

PTI

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He would say, "they traded me in 2012, and it was a major factor in enabling them to win the WS in 2013." What a

[/QUOTE]

Actually, A-gone would have said "god wanted the SOX to finish in the cellar this year."

[/QUOTE]

while TheExaminer was right about  ''stupid question Zac.''

bogie had the answer I was going 4

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't see that it was any ONE thing that went wrong, although there are a couple of larger things that contributed.

The left side of the infield, to begin with.  They entrusted the entire left side of the IF to two players who hadn't proven they could play the positions.  Then to make the situation even worse, those two players also have proven that they can't hit ML pitching.   

Frankly I see no reason for Bogaerts to still be with the team other than "He shows great promise".  At this time he's at best adequate defensively at two positions and less than that on offense.  I agree that the scouts have said that he's a "can't miss prospect" but how long does he get to ride that assessment?  I'm not advocating trading him - just responding to the OP.  Although Pawtucket seems like a logical landing place for him right now.

Middlebrooks got sent down for being just what Bogaerts is now.  The difference is that instead of being a "cant' miss prospect" Middy is "a player with solid right handed power, and you CAN'T trade that!".  Ugh.  Had it not been for the unexpected emergence of Brock Holt this situation would have been even worse!

And therein lies a large portion of the problem.  As I said, they entrusted the left side of the IF to two players who hadn't proven themselves - and they had no Plan B.  I failed to see how this was a good idea at the beginning of the season and I still don't.  So yeah, I lay this part at the feet of the FO.   

The other large portion of the problem is the fact that we lost our 1-2 punch in the order.  It was fairly easy to see that losing Ellsbury's offense was going to hurt but had everything else been equal we'd have been OK.  Or at least competitive.  But losing Ells AND Victorino  is something the team couldn't recover from.

Although I would have liked have have back-to-backed I realized on Opening Day that it was going to be very difficult to do even if everything worked.  I fully expected to be battling for a playoff spot and probably getting one, and possibly losing in the first round.  After last year I'd have had no problem with that, but being the defending WS Champions and finishing last this year is unacceptable for me.   

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.