2014 Draftees crack soxprospect rankings.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2014 Draftees crack soxprospect rankings.

1st pick Michael Chavis comes in at #12 behind Raphael Devers and in front of Sean Coyle.

the Sox 2nd first round pick Michael Kopech comes in at #17 right behind Trey Ball. 

2nd round Sam Travis cracks the top 20 at 20. 

3rd round pick Jake Cosart comes in at #26

11th rounder Karsten Whitson comes in at #50 

and 5th rounder Joshua Ockimey comes in at #54. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: 2014 Draftees crack soxprospect rankings.

Sam Travis looks like Joey Votto.  Hope he can be a hitter like Votto too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Hugh did you see Swihart in NB, forgot to ask you. Kid is fast, absolutely nothing like a Catcher. I can see him moving to Outfield.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hugh did you see Swihart in NB, forgot to ask you. Kid is fast, absolutely nothing like a Catcher. I can see him moving to Outfield.

[/QUOTE]

He actually surprised me behind the plate, he was considered a bat first pick but from what I've seen and from what I've heard the Sox really like him behind the plate and are pleased with his progress there.  He is very very athletic for a catcher though, he could move to the outfield or to 2nd if they ever wanted to make a switch.  The 2nd tag was always thrown on him since he was drafted.....but my gut tells me he has not future at second....not in Boston at least.

He seems to have pretty much put it all together, the only thing I'd like to see out of him at the plate is to improve his K/BB ratio.  But if he can hit hold his line now at the MLB level with his defense....that will be a non issue. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sam Travis looks like Joey Votto.  Hope he can be a hitter like Votto too.

[/QUOTE]

I like Sam Travis a lot too.  Very unconventional for a Sox pick.  They normally don't draft big bats with little positional versatility this high in the draft but I love how the Sox don't mind breaking from their norm from time to time.

The Knock on Travis is his defense, but if the bat plays who cares if he can only man first.  He made a game saving play in Lowell the other day too so he could actually be really good at 1B, and might be able to handle LF too.  If the bat plays he could be a middle of the order threat, a more likely scenario is he's a Mike Carp who can play 1b/Lf and hit.  That profile with the chance for something more is enough to make me happy with a second round pick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

While we are on the prospect chatter I think it should also be noted that we are in line to start seeing a lot of promotions.  This is the time of year the Sox like to advance a lot of guys.  Maybe not right this week, but certainly after the AA/AAA all star breaks and we've already begun to see a couple. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

1st pick Michael Chavis comes in at #12 behind Raphael Devers and in front of Sean Coyle.

the Sox 2nd first round pick Michael Kopech comes in at #17 right behind Trey Ball. 

Great.....so this years 1st round picks both are pretty much ranked the same or better than last years top 10 pick.......  Didn't like the pick then....was proved right once he actually started throwing a baseball for our minor league teams....really don't like it now.  Hopefully some of these picks start to pan out so they can be packaged for a good young, controllable stud pitcher or power OF bat.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Great.....so this years 1st round picks both are pretty much ranked the same or better than last years top 10 pick.......  Didn't like the pick then....was proved right once he actually started throwing a baseball for our minor league teams....really don't like it now.  Hopefully some of these picks start to pan out so they can be packaged for a good young, controllable stud pitcher or power OF bat.....

You can't judge a draftee when he is less than 40 innings into a career at 19, literally no one ever does that except fans that sit at home and scout the box score.  The Sox drafted a raw pitcher they knew would take years to develop.  So you weren't proven right, you just proved that you don't really know much about player development, and you have little patience.  The Sox have switched strategy's the last couple years and moved onto drafting high school players.  High School players are much more raw, just learning the game, and further away. The Sox often go safe college pitchers early but with one of baseballs strongest farms they've decided to increase their risk and go for higher ceiling high school players.  Even if guys like Trey Ball, and Jon Denney become busts it's still a good strategy and there is ZERO validity to any argument that tries to say a kid, again, who has just turned 19 and in his first professional season, is a bust.

Michael Kopech will probably be the next 1st round draft pick people bash.  He has a funky delivery and needs a major overhaul of his mechanics, that could lead to some pretty ugly numbers his first couple years.  But if he puts it together the Sox will have a kid who is built for pitching and can touch 99 MPH.

Anyone the Sox drafted this year or last won't be high enough in the system to provide any real value for at least a couple years.  So with one of the strongest systems in the league, they have all the chips to pull that trade off right now, at the trade deadline, or at the winter meetings....there is no waiting for them to pan out...they have that ammunition NOW.  And I highly doubt the Sox are going to wait 2-3 years to try and fix the offense, they will do something at the deadline, and or in the winter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

yes....hopefully some of these picks pan out.  The Sox have been regarded as being one the best draft teams over the last 5 drafts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you look at recent high school draftees and you see guys who are 22, 23 playing in Portland.  That means players we drafted this year and last aren't going to reach the majors for 5-6 years.  Stats matter.....when you get to the big leagues, and yes they are telling.  A guy who hits .200 all the way up the ladder isn't going to magically become a batting average leader at the MLB level so stats do matter. 

But when we are looking at teenagers, who are away from home for the first time in their lives, are equivalent to a freshman in college, and just learning their profession it is beyond ridiculous to judge them less than a 100 at bats, or less than 100 IP's

The Same will be said for this crop of prospects.  It will realistically take years to make any concrete, well informed judgment on the matter. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True enough, and rankings seem to be better after a significant amount of professional PAs are under the belt, but that being said I like our picks. Yes, it will take a long time to see how some of these picks pan out, but with our deep farm, we can afford to wait it out.

sowprospects.com has done an excellent job ranking our prospects over the years. Sure, there are plenty of examples of botched calls, but by and large, they have called it very well.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It can be fun to follow the progress of the young prospects. But you can spend many years doing that, always looking for tomorrow.  You still need a core of top notch major league players. Often, that means spending what it takes . Otherwise, you wind up in a never ending five year plan. Like I said, it can be fun. Not knocking it. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It can be fun to follow the progress of the young prospects. But you can spend many years doing that, always looking for tomorrow.  You still need a core of top notch major league players. Often, that means spending what it takes . Otherwise, you wind up in a never ending five year plan. Like I said, it can be fun. Not knocking it. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I get that, and we have never been a team to not spend much. We haven't always spent it well, but with a glut of prospects rising quickly, we shouldn't have as many positions to fill with free agents as in the past. That should help us minimize the chances of spending wrongly or give us enough budget space to fix the mistakes we may make.

Lots of cap space and an owner willing to spend it plus lots of rising prospects should equal future success.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I get that, and we have never been a team to not spend much. We haven't always spent it well, but with a glut of prospects rising quickly, we shouldn't have as many positions to fill with free agents as in the past. That should help us minimize the chances of spending wrongly or give us enough budget space to fix the mistakes we may make.

Lots of cap space and an owner willing to spend it plus lots of rising prospects should equal future success.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  I hope so. It is disappointing to see a championship team fall so far , so fast. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@alexspeier
    Red Sox signed 11th rounder Karsten Whitson - former Padres 1st rounder - for $100K. He was up to 96 mph w/88 mph slider in ACC Tournament

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

‏@alexspeier
    Red Sox signed 11th rounder Karsten Whitson - former Padres 1st rounder - for $100K. He was up to 96 mph w/88 mph slider in ACC Tournament

Whitson was the #9 overall pick in the 2010 draft out of highschool.  He turned down 2 million to go to college and ran into health problems, that saw his stock drastically drop. With a clean bill of health (and a 98 MPH is pretty promising) he could be the steal of the draft. 

Imagine turning down 2 million dollars to go pro only to get 100K a few years later??? Sometimes....skipping college is a wise choice.   But he can put that all behind him if he ever makes it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As hugh pointed out, fans calling that pick a failure and claiming to be proven correct are only proving their impatience.

When Anthony Ranaudo was pitching in high A and AA and getting torched, and following it up by missing huge chunks of the season, was he a bad first round pick already deemed a failure?  Yet a couple years later, and he is near the top of the list of our best pitching prospects.   And Ranaudo went to college, and yet he still really didn’t hit the ground running as a professional.  People are judging Ball even though he would only be a freshman right now had he gone to college.  Giving up on Ball now is like giving up on Ranaudo during his freshman year at LSU. 

Bear in mind, Ranaudo had an ERA of 7.32 as a junior at LSU, and was then picked by the Sox in the supplemental round of the draft.  Did people pan that pick then?  And do they stand now by that criticism today?

No one is guaranteeing Ball is going to succeed.  But it is far too early now to make any decisions about the kid…

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like the picks overall, but we will be unlikely to hit gold with any of them. What I mean by that is that at our drafting slot, we were getting leftovers.

But given that situation, I do like the picks. Chavis looks to have some confidence and ability. All of the first few rounders looked to be pretty solid for what was available at the time. I think Ockimey might be a sleeper pick with big dividends. I like their approach this year. Some high upside prospects but a few solid and secure ones also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

One thing about getting High Schoolers, is you don't get the metal bat numbers from College. Those 3 or 4 early years they are on wooden bats. That's big.
    Glad for Pitchers sake a guy like Stanton doesn't use one. Can you imagine if he hit one back to Pitcher, using one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the picks overall, but we will be unlikely to hit gold with any of them. What I mean by that is that at our drafting slot, we were getting leftovers.

But given that situation, I do like the picks. Chavis looks to have some confidence and ability. All of the first few rounders looked to be pretty solid for what was available at the time. I think Ockimey might be a sleeper pick with big dividends. I like their approach this year. Some high upside prospects but a few solid and secure ones also.

[/QUOTE]

Really?????!?!?!? It comes with out saying that 2/3 of these kids will never play in the majors or amount to much but what do you mean by "we will be unlikely to hit gold with any of them"

The Sox have been one of the best drafting teams over the last decade, and this years draft was considered one of the strongest in a decade.  Odds are....they DO hit gold on a guy or two.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While the odds might be against us to "strike gold", we have had some success with picks not in the top 20 or so.

2001: Youkilis in the 8th round
    2002: Brandon Moss in the 8th

2003: Pedey in the 2nd

2005: Ellsbury with the 23rd pick, Buchholz with the 42nd, Lowrie with the 45th pick

2006: Masterson in the 2nd and Reddick in the 17th

2007: Middlebrooks in the 5th

2008: Westmoreland in the 5th & Vazquez in the 9th

2010: Ranaudo at #39, Workman at #57, and Cecchini in the 4th round.

2011: Swihart at #26, Owens at #36, JBJ at #40 and Betts in the 5th round.

And this year's draft was supposed to be strong and deep. Ther'e hope for "gold" in every draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

If you look at recent high school draftees and you see guys who are 22, 23 playing in Portland.  That means players we drafted this year and last aren't going to reach the majors for 5-6 years.  Stats matter.....when you get to the big leagues, and yes they are telling.  A guy who hits .200 all the way up the ladder isn't going to magically become a batting average leader at the MLB level so stats do matter. 

But when we are looking at teenagers, who are away from home for the first time in their lives, are equivalent to a freshman in college, and just learning their profession it is beyond ridiculous to judge them less than a 100 at bats, or less than 100 IP's

The Same will be said for this crop of prospects.  It will realistically take years to make any concrete, well informed judgment on the matter. 

[/QUOTE]

So.......I guess we will revisit the 'Ball situation' in 2020 to see if it was a decent pick.  While we are at it.....we can also track Austin Meadows (my pick) to see who pans out the best.  My money is on Meadows....yours is on Ball.  See you in 2020.....God willing ;-) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

So.......I guess we will revisit the 'Ball situation' in 2020 to see if it was a decent pick.  While we are at it.....we can also track Austin Meadows (my pick) to see who pans out the best.  My money is on Meadows....yours is on Ball.  See you in 2020.....God willing ;-) 

[/QUOTE]

I wanted Meadows...I just understand the Ball pick, I understand the drafting philosophy, and I understand it's too early to judge anything. 

Notin made the absolute BEST argument for Ball the other day, and I thought mine was good.  Right now Trey Ball would be a freshman in college if he didn't sign with the Sox.  Anthony Ranaudo as a JUNIOR, put up a 7.32 ERA in college (2 years ahead of where Ball is now) still got drafted in the first rd.

As a 22 year old he put up a 6.69 era in Portland with a 1.8 whip, 3 years more advanced than Ball.  Now...go look at Anthony Ranaudo's stats.  He is absolutely killing it in AAA right now, especially his last 7 starts.  Would you call him a bust??? he was a first round pick.

Go back and look at the draft day threads last year, I actually wanted Clint Frazier and when he was off the board I asked for Meadows.  I'm not taking claim to Ball being "my pick" I'm just defending him, and pointing out how completely absurd it is to knock the pick right now.  Especially if you aren't a scout, who hasn't seen him pitch.  It is absolutely ridiculous to knock Ball now, if he stinks the rest of this year and most of next and becomes our best prospect in 2016...it wouldn't be unprecedented by any means.

Not that there is nothing wrong with liking Meadows and wanting to bet he will be a better player, he very well may.  He was highly regarded as a top 10 pick in that draft, so I'm not trying to be mean and tell people they have to like Ball and can't think Meadows was a better pick.  Perhaps in 10 years in hindsight he would have been, no, I'm just saying we really are in no position to judge right now and won't be for a while. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People were bashing Brian Johnson during his slow start to professional ball too.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

People were bashing Brian Johnson during his slow start to professional ball too.

Sox4ever

And these are college guys, let a one a high school pick.  I just don't understand why people can't learn how silly it is to judge a highschool draftee who is in his first season as a pro.

It's one thing to bash a guy who can't make that final transition to the majors, because that is when it counts.  But 18, 19, 20 year old kids??? I wish some in here would take more time to study and learn about player development and what goes on in the lower minors from the time a guy is developed until he reaches the majors. 

It's the little things too sometimes.  These guys train and workout year round they don't go sit on the couch and eat ho hos all offseason.  Johnson was hit with a line drive to the face and missed an entire offseason of workouts and it carried over into last year and people still bashed him.  Now he is right next to Henry Owens in Portland putting up stupid good numbers.  But people don't read into these things they just see a stat line and draw up their own conclusions. 

Sections
Shortcuts