2014 INFIELD.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: 2014 INFIELD.

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The guys you mentioned are all streaky hitters. A hitting coach has nothing to really do with that. Most MLB hitters are streaky. Guys like Ellsbury, Papi, and Pedey are your consistant hitters.

Ellsbury is streaky. Almost his entire career has been a rollercoaster, some caused by injury and recovery from injury, but none the less, he has not been consistent.

2007: short sample size red hot through the playoffs.

2008: (est numbers)

Apr-May .280/.385/.425/.810

Jun-Jul  .246/.270/.310/.580

Aug-Sep .315/.350/.460/.810

2009 est OPS:.

Apr-May: .700

Jun-Jul: .845

Aug-Sep: .775

2010: Injured .485 OPS in 84 PAs

2011: Pretty consistent .803 to 1.130 monthy OPS range, but a pretty wide disparity 1st/2nd half.

1st half:    .867

2nd half: 1.000

2012-2013:  Injured for much of 2012, but...

2012 (323 PAs)               .682 OPS

'13 Apr-May (255 PAs)  .710 OPS

That's about 575 PAs straight with an OPS below .700. Pretty streaky, right?

Then monthly OPS of:  .894, .844, .758, and .861

disagree
    300 hitters are usually not considered streaky. I dont care about the injuries. That has nothing to do with my statement. Ells career BA is .297. Sorry, but I cant count injured years because, well, he was hurt.
    300 hitters dont go on long cold streaks and they are not as severe as someone like Naps, Drew or Salty. Thats why those 3 have lower BA.

Theres always a degree of streakiness or else there would be a bunch of 500 hitters. I dont consider a guy who hits about 300 when healthy, streaky. His 4 years of 600+ PA's .280, .301, .321, .298. Nope, i stand by my statement that hes not streaky.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Middy has struggled on defense and at the plate.  I would not pencil in Middy as my FT 3Bman just yet, in fact, I'd prefer Bogey at 3B and let Middy fight with Carp and Nava over the 1B job. Sign a SS as a FA.

I think a real big need is a power hitter who doesn't strike out 3-4 times a game. We need to get someone behind Ortiz to force pitchers to not  pitch around him and worry about who's up next.They don't have that now with Naps because of him being a strikeout machine. We must understand that somewhere down the line in the not to distant future Ortiz will lose bat speed and need that offensive threat behind him.This would let Papi see better pitches and take the pressure off and spred the offense more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Middy has struggled on defense and at the plate.  I would not pencil in Middy as my FT 3Bman just yet, in fact, I'd prefer Bogey at 3B and let Middy fight with Carp and Nava over the 1B job. Sign a SS as a FA.

I think a real big need is a power hitter who doesn't strike out 3-4 times a game. We need to get someone behind Ortiz to force pitchers to not  pitch around him and worry about who's up next.They don't have that now with Naps because of him being a strikeout machine. We must understand that somewhere down the line in the not to distant future Ortiz will lose bat speed and need that offensive threat behind him.This would let Papi see better pitches and take the pressure off and spred the offense more.

NAPOLI WILL BE BACK.  YOU WATCH!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

NAPOLI WILL BE BACK.  YOU WATCH!!

Agreed...I'd be pretty surprised if the infield isn't Napoli, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks.  They aren't going to sell low on Middlebrooks as the Sox like him more than the people on this board and Bogaerts is here to stay. They aren't going to bounce him around, either.  My guess is that Drew walks, unless they let Napoli walk & move Middlebrooks to 1st.  Regardless, they will definitely have plenty of options this off season...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The guys you mentioned are all streaky hitters. A hitting coach has nothing to really do with that. Most MLB hitters are streaky. Guys like Ellsbury, Papi, and Pedey are your consistant hitters.

Ellsbury is streaky. Almost his entire career has been a rollercoaster, some caused by injury and recovery from injury, but none the less, he has not been consistent.

2011: Pretty consistent .803 to 1.130 monthy OPS range, but a pretty wide disparity 1st/2nd half.

disagree
    300 hitters are usually not considered streaky. I dont care about the injuries. That has nothing to do with my statement. Ells career BA is .297. Sorry, but I cant count injured years because, well, he was hurt.
    300 hitters dont go on long cold streaks and they are not as severe as someone like Naps, Drew or Salty. Thats why those 3 have lower BA.

The 575 PAs from 2012 to the start of 2013 is not a long streak?  That's about 3 to 4 times longer than Napoli's slump.

Theres always a degree of streakiness or else there would be a bunch of 500 hitters. I dont consider a guy who hits about 300 when healthy, streaky. His 4 years of 600+ PA's .280, .301, .321, .298. Nope, i stand by my statement that hes not streaky.

You picked apart Napoli for in season slumps, but only want to look at Ellsbury's seasonal numbers.

Ellsbury has had wild fluctuationhs within almost every season. True, his slumps were not as bad as Napoli's, but they have been much longer in scope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Funny how Papi has put up near career numbers with Napoli and Gomes hitting behind him recently.

I love seeing them walk Papi to face Napoli.

I do hope we get a better #5 hitter for 2014, but I'm happy with what napoli gave us. His high OBP and RBI total more than negate the high K rate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agreed...I'd be pretty surprised if the infield isn't Napoli, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks.  They aren't going to sell low on Middlebrooks as the Sox like him more than the people on this board and Bogaerts is here to stay. They aren't going to bounce him around, either.  My guess is that Drew walks, unless they let Napoli walk & move Middlebrooks to 1st.  Regardless, they will definitely have plenty of options this off season...

I see this as the Sox winter choice: Napoli or Drew, but not both.

I guess is we let Ellsbury go and don't sign Choo or Beltran, bringing back Napoli and Drew makes some sense, but I think we'll look to go large somewhere else to make up for the loss of Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I see this as the Sox winter choise: Napoli or Drew, but not both.

I guess is we let Ellsbury go and don't sign Choo or Beltran, bringing back Napoli and Drew makes some sense, but I think we'll look to go large somewhere else to make up for the loss of Ellsbury.

I think they give QO's to Drew and Napoli.......I think Salty is the question mark as $14.1 million is a lot for him.....No one will sign Drew for more than $14.1 million on a multi year deal PLUS lose a draft pick so he stays.........Someone MAY do that for Naps so we would have to negotiate w/ him.......Of the 3, I think Drew is the one that stays for sure....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think that this Post Season has changed the outlook of how these guys get handled because I think Last Impressions, especially post Season impressions tick with GMs. . Napoli has gotten the National Exposure and coverage as a guy who had become a Good 1B with the glove and he came up with some big hits and he has shown no effects of a hip issue.. Drew on the other hand as shown great defense but a horrible stick...Salty has shown poor defense and a poor bat.....that said....I think Naps is going to get looked at Hard by other teams and will get offered 3 years somewhere, so offering him a QO is a Win/Win for the Sox.....he would be a deal at 14Mm for one year or you get the draft pick... I think Drew on the other hand might laso get 3 years elsewhere but not at enough $ that he would turn down the QO, so the Sox need to decide not just is Drew worth 14MM, but is his worth so much greater than a replacement that the 14mm couldnt be spent more wisely elsewhere(Moon has expressed this budget point incessantly this year for all spending)..I Do not offer Drew a QO.....Salty has hurt his contract this post season, but probably not as much as he improved it with his regular season, and there is a dearth of Catchers....but personally I think the Sox could do better(and I have always been a Salty supporter)....I would offer him the QO and hope upon hope he doesnt accept it, but live with it if he does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Saltalamacchia's agent might be setting his benchmark as a Miguel Montero type contract (5 yr/60mill).  Salty is no Montero, but Montero was not a free agent, either. 

If those are the demands, offer the QO, take the pick and look elsewhere. ..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Doubtful they overcomplicate it that much.

If Bogaerts is not starting every day in Boston, he will probably be in Pawtcuket, sitting by the phone.

With an open-ended bus ticket in his hand..

At this point, I think it is almost certain Boagerts is starting next season in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Salty gets a Q.O. 

If someone really wants him he nets a pick

If we want to sign a 2/3 year deal with him and no one would give up a pick for him then Boston has the upper hand in negotiations.

Absolute worst case scenario would be to have to pay the man for 1 year @ 14 million.  But remember overpaying a guy for one year is not the same thing for overpaying a guy for 3-5 years, heck it's not even the same thing as overpaying a guy for 2 years.   Who cares when you are not in trouble of going over the luxury tax, and I'm sure the Sox wouldn't even be afraid to go over it for one year....it really starts to hurt clubs when they STAY over the luxury tax.  You don't have to make tough decisions when a guys money is coming off the books in one year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Doubtful they overcomplicate it that much.

If Bogaerts is not starting every day in Boston, he will probably be in Pawtcuket, sitting by the phone.

With an open-ended bus ticket in his hand..

At this point, I think it is almost certain Boagerts is starting next season in Boston.

Agreed...The only way Boegarts isn't starting for Boston on Opening Day 2014 is if he is injured.  Whether he is the starting SS or starting 3rd baseman is only issue.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Boegarts at short... he will grow into the position

Pedroia at second... Duh

Napoli at first...actually is a better first baseman than previously thought plus a good comrade. Power...Contract?

Middlebrooks at third... trade bait for next year along with pitching surplus in the spring or deadline.. seat warmer for Cecchini or trade return

McCann at catcher with Ross at backup.. goodbye Salty and the Ks' 

Carp to backup first or outfield

Gomes, Nava, ELLSBURY, and Victorino.

Signifcant money for Ellsbury and McCann.

Possibly deal some pitching with youngsters on the horizon.

Napoli and Middlebrooks will be the K kings. The rest put the ball in play.. usually

Lineup: Ellsbury,Bogaerts,Pedroia,Ortiz,Napoli,McCann,Nava,Middlebrooks and Victorino

Thoughts. Pitching another day

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to REBEL's comment:

THE MISSTEP HERE WAS TRADING ISTERIAS IN EFFECT FOR PEAVY!  WE WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS DEBATE IF THAT BAD TRADE WAS NOT MADE!

Who the heck is Isterias?  You don't even know the name of a player who started a lot of games at SS for the Sox this season.  Get off the board. You are not a fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

THE MISSTEP HERE WAS TRADING ISTERIAS IN EFFECT FOR PEAVY!  WE WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS DEBATE IF THAT BAD TRADE WAS NOT MADE!

Who the heck is Isterias?  You don't even know the name of a player who started a lot of games at SS for the Sox this season.  Get off the board. You are not a fan.

this is the age of Isteriaaaas....Isterrriiaaaaas!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I think that this Post Season has changed the outlook of how these guys get handled because I think Last Impressions, especially post Season impressions tick with GMs. . Napoli has gotten the National Exposure and coverage as a guy who had become a Good 1B with the glove and he came up with some big hits and he has shown no effects of a hip issue.. Drew on the other hand as shown great defense but a horrible stick...Salty has shown poor defense and a poor bat.....that said....I think Naps is going to get looked at Hard by other teams and will get offered 3 years somewhere, so offering him a QO is a Win/Win for the Sox.....he would be a deal at 14Mm for one year or you get the draft pick... I think Drew on the other hand might laso get 3 years elsewhere but not at enough $ that he would turn down the QO, so the Sox need to decide not just is Drew worth 14MM, but is his worth so much greater than a replacement that the 14mm couldnt be spent more wisely elsewhere(Moon has expressed this budget point incessantly this year for all spending)..I Do not offer Drew a QO.....Salty has hurt his contract this post season, but probably not as much as he improved it with his regular season, and there is a dearth of Catchers....but personally I think the Sox could do better(and I have always been a Salty supporter)....I would offer him the QO and hope upon hope he doesnt accept it, but live with it if he does.

Actually I don't think GM's make decisions based on 40 at bat sample sizes. That would make them people that were not Gm's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

Actually I don't think GM's make decisions based on 40 at bat sample sizes. That would make them people that were not Gm's.

Agreed.

40 AB sample sizes have minimal impact on any GMs placement of value for any FA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

this is the age of Isteriaaaas....Isterrriiaaaaas!

Isn't isterias what you get from eating tainted meat?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

at this point i think middy might be the odd man out for next year, drew will likely be brought back, same with napoli (especially after we lost out on abreu). Catcher is going to be the most interesting as im not sure the fo is sold on extending salty. especially when brian mccan is going to be a free agent. Im starting to think we make a run at mccan (we have the money to sign him) with ross being the back up. I think middy could be used in a deal to land a legit power hitting LF. Middy, barnes, rubby and another prospect may be enough to get a deal done for giancarlo stanton (who should be our main target) Imagine our line up for next year:

ellsbury (we need to bring him back)

pedroia

stanton

ortiz

mccan

napoli

bogaerts

victorino 

drew

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to scottwad's comment:

Pedroia at second... Duh

Napoli at first...actually is a better first baseman than previously thought plus a good comrade. Power...Contract?

Middlebrooks at third... trade bait for next year along with pitching surplus in the spring or deadline.. seat warmer for Cecchini or trade return

Napoli and Middlebrooks will be the K kings. The rest put the ball in play.. usually

Lineup: Ellsbury,Bogaerts,Pedroia,Ortiz,Napoli,McCann,Nava,Middlebrooks and Victorino

Mc Cann will want about 100mil. Sox will not go there

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Middlebrooks might also be dealt to fill the void st catcher if Saltalamacchia leaves.

Deals for Hank Conger (Angels) or Devin Mesoraco (Reds) make some sense for both teams...

Way to early to think about trading Middlebrooks. Think he has shown what he is capable of, seems many RS fans forgot how Papi struggled for over a yr following a wrist injury? Too much upside w/ Middlebrooks to trade following a weak season. I would think about Middlebrooks as the future 1B, Naps not the future at best another good season before hip becomes a problem? I like Bogearts @ 3B and try to resign Drew. If Cecchini continues to tear it up next yr, then Bogey or Cecchini eventually moves to LF? But I wouldn't go more than 3 yrs for Drew, good chance someone will go more, the Bogey has to move to SS, Middy stays at 3B til Cecchini ready resign Naps for 1yr and Middy moves to 1B in 2015.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

In response to scottwad's comment:

Pedroia at second... Duh

Mc Cann will want about 100mil. Sox will not go there

Maybe they can get some of the revenue from the ticket sales for tonight and possibly tomorrow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

disagree

The 575 PAs from 2012 to the start of 2013 is not a long streak?  That's about 3 to 4 times longer than Napoli's slump.

You picked apart Napoli for in season slumps, but only want to look at Ellsbury's seasonal numbers.

Ellsbury has had wild fluctuationhs within almost every season. True, his slumps were not as bad as Napoli's, but they have been much longer in scope.

Its the length of the slumps. Thats what makes someone like naps a 250-60 hitter and Ells a .300 hitter.

Sections
Shortcuts