2014 INFIELD.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2014 INFIELD.

Middy has struggled on defense and at the plate.  I would not pencil in Middy as my FT 3Bman just yet, in fact, I'd prefer Bogey at 3B and let Middy fight with Carp and Nava over the 1B job. Sign a SS as a FA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tend to agree with moonslav, especially if one possible free agent SS is Drew.  Three good points about Drew in 2013:  he was/is healthy and can play every day; his fielding is clearly above average; he can hit (despite the postseason slump).  Sox could do a lot worse than Drew.  But I am not against looking at other options. 

With Middlebrooks struggling, a relook of Napoli might also be called for.  We always assumed that Middlebrooks would start in 2014 and so the Sox would be crazy to go after both Napoli and Drew.  Now that doesn't look quite so crazy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Middlebrooks might also be dealt to fill the void st catcher if Saltalamacchia leaves.

Deals for Hank Conger (Angels) or Devin Mesoraco (Reds) make some sense for both teams...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Middy has struggled on defense and at the plate.  I would not pencil in Middy as my FT 3Bman just yet, in fact, I'd prefer Bogey at 3B and let Middy fight with Carp and Nava over the 1B job. Sign a SS as a FA.

AGree with you.  I just think that Middlebrook may have the talent to play at the mlb level, but his mentally is all messed up, and he cant get himself straighten out this season.  He is right now just like another Daniel Bard or Craig Hansen. Really I cant figure out what is his problem right now.  I think he need to get something fix such as if he is having wrist problem again or like that.   Longer he hide whatever he is hiding, he will regret it.  He is only 25 years old, and he got plently of MLB life ahead of him.   

Maybe we just have a poor batting coach.  Look at Drew, Salty, Victorino, etc who are all hitting poorly, and seem that the batting coach cant make an adjustment for each one!!

Anyway, I am not sure if Bogaerts is capable to play SS.  I understand that he is a young kid and still learning the gam.  But do Boston want to gamble on just playing him at SS and let him to learn the game.  That could cause the team few more losses.  Maybe the safer bet is to resign Drew, and have Drew to teach this kid.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think having Boggy at 3B, Drew at SS, Pedey 2B and Napps or ?? at first woud be my choice.  I'd package WMB with one of our young stud pitchers and JBJ for a power hitting RF and move Vic to center or make a sililar trade for a power bat at 1B.  This are two positions we are week in for our farm. 

I miss A-Gon.  Talk of him being a clubhouse issue are WAY over-eaxaggerated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Napoli is my 1st choice.  Morales is my 2nd choice but might cost more.  Pedey bogey middle for me is ok.  

I think the OF is gonna be interesting when Jacoby walks.   I also am not sold on bringing salty back.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Boggy can handle SS just fine.  He won't be the GG winner but he's athletic and should be just fine.  We saw him making smooth plays at short.  I would take Middy's bat and glove and Boggy's bat over Drew's defense.  2014 IFs would look like Middy, Boggy, Pedey, and Naps.  I'm not sure Salty will be with the team.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Boggy can handle SS just fine.  He won't be the GG winner but he's athletic and should be just fine.  We saw him making smooth plays at short.  I would take Middy's bat and glove and Boggy's bat over Drew's defense.  2014 IFs would look like Middy, Boggy, Pedey, and Naps.  I'm not sure Salty will be with the team.  

Yes I think Bogaerts can play SS, but it will take alot of times for him to understand it.  He is not there yet.  

Middlebrook still concerns me.  Safer bet to hold on him and see how he do next season.  Never know what is his real problem.  Who know he re-fracture his wrist or like that.  OF course, MLB never tell anyone what is wrong with them unlike NFL must report (sometime they dont, still it is their policy).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with having Napoli back, but we still need a bonafide #5 hitter that does not play only 1B. These games at the NL parks show why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Yes I think Bogaerts can play SS, but it will take alot of times for him to understand it.  He is not there yet.  

Middlebrook still concerns me.  Safer bet to hold on him and see how he do next season.  Never know what is his real problem.  Who know he re-fracture his wrist or like that.  OF course, MLB never tell anyone what is wrong with them unlike NFL must report (sometime they dont, still it is their policy).

um... understand what?  You know Bogaerts is a SS by trade right?  He has 345 games of experience at SS in the minor and 10 as 3B.  You believe Bogaerts understood 3B job before SS?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

They will make QOs to Drew and Napoli, as well as Ellsbury and Salty  14.5MM

Drew will likely take it.  They may actually hope he refuses.  I don't think there are too many teams that would give Drew, 3 or 4 years, even at 30 to 40.  If they do, then thanks Steven and we get a draft choice.  Napoli might, as well.  Although he may have proven that he is okay, I'm not sure there are too many out there ready to committ beyond two.  If he gives them last right of refusal, I would consider more than a year, say one and an option that maxes at 35.

If Drew stays, we will know pretty early.  If he stays, he's got short and Boegarts is and third.  What happens with Middlebrooks, depends upon what happens and how soon on Napoli.  If he comes right back, then yes try to package Middlebrooks.  If they lose Napoli, put Mid at first.

If they lose Drew and Napoli, then put Boegarts at short and keep Mid at third and work with Carp and Nava at first or look for a deal for a 3B or 1B.

Cecchini is not tht far away.  Who would have guessed that Boegarts would be starting in the World freakin Series and doing pretty well at that.  I, for one, thought he might (key word might) be a September call up.  That they weren't going to rush him.  Well that not rushing idea is gone.

I would be shocked if Ells signs the QO at 14.5.  He is looking for six or seven and probably ay least $100MM.  Not gonna happen here.  They are not going to pay him more than Pedroia.  If he is willing at 3 for 40 or 4 for 56, I say go for it.  That's not going to happen.

Like it or not, they need to keep Salty.  Ross can't catch everyday and I'm not sure, Lavarnway is going to be the answer.  If they can get him for 3 (2 is better) at 10-12 per, I say go for it and in two years Swihart should be ready.  Again, who thought Boegarts would be ready this soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

AGree with you.  I just think that Middlebrook may have the talent to play at the mlb level, but his mentally is all messed up, and he cant get himself straighten out this season.  He is right now just like another Daniel Bard or Craig Hansen. Really I cant figure out what is his problem right now.  I think he need to get something fix such as if he is having wrist problem again or like that.   Longer he hide whatever he is hiding, he will regret it.  He is only 25 years old, and he got plently of MLB life ahead of him.   

Maybe we just have a poor batting coach.  Look at Drew, Salty, Victorino, etc who are all hitting poorly, and seem that the batting coach cant make an adjustment for each one!!

Anyway, I am not sure if Bogaerts is capable to play SS.  I understand that he is a young kid and still learning the gam.  But do Boston want to gamble on just playing him at SS and let him to learn the game.  That could cause the team few more losses.  Maybe the safer bet is to resign Drew, and have Drew to teach this kid.  

The guys you mentioned are all streaky hitters. A hitting coach has nothing to really do with that. Most MLB hitters are streaky. Guys like Ellsbury, Papi, and Pedey are your consistant hitters.

Also, while I wouldnt put middy in the Hanson and Bard category just yet, I see him as a average to below average defender right now who needs a better approach at the plate. He hasnt proved he has improved on any of that yet. If he can get the offense going even semi consistently, he can be a threat in the lineup. He was hurt this year, so Im not going to really judge him too much on his performance. If he can get fully healthy this winter he will have every opportunity to compete for the 3b job. I dont see him being traded this offseason with nobody ready to take his place and his value is low. Cecchini will be in AAA next year and could be used at some point, but hes not an option out of ST.

I know the Sox really like Drew and understand hes a streaky hitter. When he gets hot hes a 900+OPS hitter. When hes cold, he can drop that almost in half. Thats why he usually ends up with about a 750-800OPS during the regular season. Thats still 100+points higher than the league avaerage for SS. If they do sign Drew, you know Xander will take over 3b and WMB will either pick up a 1b mit or be involved in a trade.

What will be Napoli's value on the open market. Would you offer him 3 years? Thats what it might take. Id do 2 years with an option relating to the hip. Maybe a lower base, but incentives to get around 13-14M per.

I think Salty will test the market and turn down a QO if offered one. Thats not to say he wont sign back, just that he might want to be smart and see how his value looks this winter.

Personally, I dont think any current Sox FA IF'er signs right away. I think they all test the market first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Tend to agree with moonslav, especially if one possible free agent SS is Drew.  Three good points about Drew in 2013:  he was/is healthy and can play every day; his fielding is clearly above average; he can hit (despite the postseason slump).  Sox could do a lot worse than Drew.  But I am not against looking at other options. 

With Middlebrooks struggling, a relook of Napoli might also be called for.  We always assumed that Middlebrooks would start in 2014 and so the Sox would be crazy to go after both Napoli and Drew.  Now that doesn't look quite so crazy. 

While Drew is fielding well at SS he has been worse than horrible at the plate and had the same kind of miserable post season with Oakland last year. Surely we can use Bogaerts at SS and go outside or within the system to find an adequate replacement for Middlebrooks who is a total headcase at the plate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

While Drew is fielding well at SS he has been worse than horrible at the plate and had the same kind of miserable post season with Oakland last year. Surely we can use Bogaerts at SS and go outside or within the system to find an adequate replacement for Middlebrooks who is a total headcase at the plate.

Yes, hes had a poor post season offensively, but has saved a few runs with his D. A MLB SS who hits between 750-800OPS is still valuable to getting in the post season (Drew 777OPS this year). MLB average is like 670OPS for SS. Taking just his PS numbers (last year returning from a broken ankle with pins in it) is probably not the best way to decide if your going to re-sign someone.

Im not saying I would def resign Drew, but I certainly would look at the full body of work and not just the PS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Boggy at 3b

Drew will be back b/c we will tender him and no team will give him a 2 year/30 million dollar deal AND lose a first round pick

Pedey

Nap - ditto w/ Drew

C - this will be interesting........toss up w/ what to do w/ Salty - maybe offer him a 2 year/20 deal (his stock has dropped)...Where is Lava????  Ross has 1 more year before being let out to pasture.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

um... understand what?  You know Bogaerts is a SS by trade right?  He has 345 games of experience at SS in the minor and 10 as 3B.  You believe Bogaerts understood 3B job before SS?  

have Bogaerts make any clutch play in the WS yet?  Game #3, he played SS, first ball went to him, and he failed to get a out.  last nite, he made a nice diving catch on the line, but made an error throw at 1b.   I am not saying he is uncapable of playing these two positions.  He is just still inexperience at the MLB level.  dont care about AAA.  these hitters are not like these MLB level hitters!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guys you mentioned are all streaky hitters. A hitting coach has nothing to really do with that. Most MLB hitters are streaky. Guys like Ellsbury, Papi, and Pedey are your consistant hitters.

Ellsbury is streaky. Almost his entire career has been a rollercoaster, some caused by injury and recovery from injury, but none the less, he has not been consistent.

2007: short sample size red hot through the playoffs.

2008: (est numbers)

Apr-May .280/.385/.425/.810

Jun-Jul  .246/.270/.310/.580

Aug-Sep .315/.350/.460/.810

2009 est OPS:.

Apr-May: .700

Jun-Jul: .845

Aug-Sep: .775

2010: Injured .485 OPS in 84 PAs

2011: Pretty consistent .803 to 1.130 monthy OPS range, but a pretty wide disparity 1st/2nd half.

1st half:    .867

2nd half: 1.000

2012-2013:  Injured for much of 2012, but...

2012 (323 PAs)               .682 OPS

'13 Apr-May (255 PAs)  .710 OPS

That's about 575 PAs straight with an OPS below .700. Pretty streaky, right?

Then monthly OPS of:  .894, .844, .758, and .861

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

The SOX already have a fine SS. They just need to re-sign him. I do agree with turning WMB into a 1st baseman. Bogey s/b starting at 3rd. This is all easily doable. The SOX may have to shop around for a starting catcher. I don't want Salty back and i don't think he will be.

If he is being benched at this point of the year, I doubt Sox management forks over a lot of money for several years of Salty, especially when we have Ross signed for 2014, Lava as a possible back-up, and Vazquez, Swihart and Denny on the horizon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

THE MISSTEP HERE WAS TRADING ISTERIAS IN EFFECT FOR PEAVY!  WE WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS DEBATE IF THAT BAD TRADE WAS NOT MADE!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I would be very surprised if they did not bring Drew back.   Clearly, they like him enough to not care how he hits. 

And Napoli is also a very likely return.  This isn't Florida/Miami.  We don't need to break up a team this close to winning it all.

If the above happens, they could deal Middlebrooks, or start the year with Bogaerts in AAA...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I would be very surprised if they did not bring Drew back.   Clearly, they like him enough to not care how he hits. 

And Napoli is also a very likely return.  This isn't Florida/Miami.  We don't need to break up a team this close to winning it all.

If the above happens, they could deal Middlebrooks, or start the year with Bogaerts in AAA...

If we bring back Drew and Naps, we could keep Middy and Bogey on the 25 man roster. In ST, give Middy lots of reps at 1B and Bogey at 3B.

When Papi rests, Naps to DH and Middy to 1B/Bogey to 3B.

When Drew rests, Bogey to SS.

When Napoli rests, Middy to 1B and Bogey to 3B.

The PAs at 3B could be divided between Middy and Bogey based on who looks best.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Doubtful they overcomplicate it that much.

If Bogaerts is not starting every day in Boston, he will probably be in Pawtcuket, sitting by the phone.

With an open-ended bus ticket in his hand..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Doubtful they overcomplicate it that much.

If Bogaerts is not starting every day in Boston, he will probably be in Pawtcuket, sitting by the phone.

With an open-ended bus ticket in his hand..

If Middy gets 20+ games at 1B (assuming Napoli and Papi miss 10 games each), and Bogey gets 10 games at SS as Drew misses 10, then if Bogey gets 120 games at 3B, it gives him 130 total (assuming nobody gets hurt). That's about what he'd get on the farm.

Middy gets 42 games at 3B, 20 at 1B, and a bunch of PH opportunities.

As you mentioned, Middy could be dealt as part of a deal to get a catcher, if Salty walks.

Sections
Shortcuts