2014 IS HERE!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

2014 IS HERE!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!

With less than 3 hours before the start of the baseball seasons, and a blizzard here as recently as last Tuesday, it's been tough to get  into baseball-thinking mode. I'm still wating for Old Man Winter to step aside and make way for Hot Chick Spring.

But baseball is upon! I can harldy wait for 162 chances to root for the Sox and 162 chances to root against the Yankees.  But befroe we start, allow me to bless you all with my wildly inaccurate 2014 BASEBALL PREDICTIONS to allow you just enough time to place your bets in Vegas.  Those of you who cannot get those bets in can just send the money directly to me.  Trust me, it's the same thing.

So with much more adieu than necessary...

AL East

Tampa Bay.  Pitching depth suffers as starter Erik Bedard threatens to opt out of his contract if he cannot take his rightful place on the team’s Opening Day disabled list.

Baltimore.  Newly signed DH Nelson Cruz took less money to go from the Divorce Capital of the USA to the Teen Pregnancy Capital of the USA.  That’s just creepy, Nelson.  You’re like 35 years old.

Toronto.  Get baseball out of Canada.  All they care about are sports that are in the Olympics.  C’mon, Bud!! Break those leases and contracts and bring the Jays back home to Charlotte or Columbus or wherever!   What’s Canada going to do, sue us?  Bring it on, Hockey Boys!!   Frivolous lawsuits are OUR national sport!!

New York.  This November, GM Brian Cashman welcomes back tarnished slugger Alex Rodriguez with open arms and a toast in his office.   “To your triumphant return in 2015,  Alex, and this drink contains absolutely no Stanislozol,” he says with his glass raised high in one hand, while the other remains hidden behind his back.  

Boston.  I picked them here last year for reasons related to how they finish against my predictions.  In no way am I messing with that.

AL Central

Detroit.  GM Dave Dombrowski refuses to address his shortstop dilemma by bringing in Stephen Drew at the cost of a draft pick.   Hey Dave, are you familiar with your own drafting history?

Cleveland.   The big news this offseason was the plan to Carlos Santana to 3B after he proved inadequate at catcher and 1B.  If he can't handle this position either, next offseason he will be transitioned to bullpen coach.

Kansas City.   As the end of Shields’ contract approaches, you can tell the Royals are “all in” for this season with their offseason spending spree for difference non-makers Norichika Aoki, Omar Infante and Jason Vargas.   If you can’t outspend them, try to out-mediocre them, they say.

Chicago.  Rebuilding excitement runs high in the Windy City, as newcomers Matt Davidson, Erik Johnson, Adam Eaton and Jose Abreu are set to make their Chicago debuts together and be the backbone of the franchise for as long as they can maintain their pre-arbitration status.

Minnesota.   Maybe they should have followed up with the late Cal Pohlad’s plan to just contract the franchise.

AL West

Texas.   The Rangers signed former Reds CF to a huge contract to be their LF fixture in the future.  Don’t the Rangers know what happens when you put a converted CF behind Adrian Beltre?

Oakland.  Let’s review the Oakland pitching woes this off-season.  Jarrod Parker – disabled.  AJ Griffin – disabled.    Ryan Cook – disabled.   Eric O’Flaherty – disbabled.   It’s never a good thing when Scott Kazmir becomes your epitome of health.

Los Angeles –  New Angels DH Raul Ibanez lectures teammate Mike Trout, using the line “I was drafted to play this game before you were even born!!”  An inquisitive Trout looks it up and find out that indeed, Ibanez was drafted two months before Trout was even born.

Seattle.   Some advice for GM Jack Zduriencik – if you want to straighten out your team, start by teaching new closer Fernando Rodney straighten out that #$%#$ cap on his head!

Houston.  But on the bright side, Houston sports fans can anticipate one awesome summer looking forward to their teams overall number one pick in the NFL draft.

NL East

Washington.  This is the year set-up man Drew Storen sets out to show the world why the Nationals picked him over Mike Trout.  After all, which player will have more Holds?  Exactly.

Atlanta.  With their season already in jeopardy due to a slew of pre-season Tommy John surgeries on the staff, the Braves announce their new pitching coach will be Mr. Peabody, who will be charged with using his Wayback machine to travel back to 1894 and stop this whole “pitching overhand” thing from ever happening.

Philadelphia.  Amaro and Amaro and Amaro.  Creeps along at this petty pace to the last syllable of recorded time.   If that isn’t the team slogan, it really should be.

New York.  The biggest addition (in terms of pounds) this off-season was Bartolo Colon.  With only 6 names on the list, apparently the Mets felt they just weren’t connected enough to the Biogenesis scandal.

Miami.  Every time the Sox struggle, some impatient fans scream “Let the kids play!! Let the kids play!!”  Pay close attention here.  THIS is what happens when you let the kids play.

NL Central

St. Louis.  Team hopes next season can end a little better, but not for that one Wong turn at first base.

Pittsburgh.  The success of last year’s team might have spoiled the fan base, and management worries they may be pressured into putting together one winning season every 23 years.

Cincinnati.  Questions still surround whether or not oft-hyped speedster Billy Hamilton should break camp with the Reds or start in AAA.  Start in AAA? After posting a .651 OPS in Louisville last year, shouldn’t it raise a question about whether or not Hamilton should be benched in AAA?

Milwaukee.  Ryan Braun returns after spending his suspension calling each and every Brewers’ season ticket holder to apologize personally.  That had to be like, what, 19 phone calls?

Chicago.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  But it was certainly rebuilt faster than the Cubs.

NL West.

Los Angeles.   Money can’t buy happiness.  Money can buy pennants.  Therefore, pennants are not happiness.  Sorry, Dodger fans. Chin up! Don’t get too upset over this first place finish.

Arizona.  Newly acquired slugger Mark Trumbo fills a big hole in the Diamondbacks lineup.  Unfortunately, he does it with that big hole in his swing.

San Francisco.  Given their past connections to players like Barry Bonds and Melky Cabrera, Giants brass has decided to use caution when considering players with past connections to PED usage.  Given the cheap one year deal signed by Mike Morse, apparently their integrity does have a price.

San Diego.  They stand about as much of a chance of making the post-season as the cast of “Finding Bigfoot” does of, well, finding Bigfoot.  And is it just me, or is that title really inaccurate anyway?  Shouldn’t it be called “Looking for Bigfoot”?  Or better yet “This is What Happens When You let Morons Run Around in The Forest At Night With Infrared Cameras”?

Colorado.  LaTroy Hawkins was already named closer for Opening Day.  I can’t write anything funnier than that.

Awards (Sox players ineligible, as always.  Sorry, Xander.)

AL Champion:  Texas (once they get their pitching staff back)

NL Champion: St. Louis

WS Champion: St. Louis, and hopefully is just as exciting a fashion as last time.

AL MVP: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Paul Goldschmidt

AL Cy Young: David Price

NL Cy Young: Madison Bumgarner

AL ROY: Jose Dariel Abreu and George Springer

NL ROY:  Oscar Taveras

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: 2014 IS HERE!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!! THE PREDICTIONS ARE OUT!

LOL! And this is why Notin is the best poster on this forum. Sorry for my momentary lapse in judgement. :)

Also, did anyone know you predicted the Sox last season? That's amazing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Excellent post notin!!!   Laughing

I predict that the KC Royals will finally earn a playoff berth (as a wild card) since 1985.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good Stuff!

AL                                                         NL

RS [at least I had WC last yr]                 Wash

NY [back to good old days RS vs NY]       Atl [to many pitchers TJ]

Tampa [trade Price?]                              NY [finally some of youngs guns help this team]

Balt [Jimenez not the answer]                 Phil [fading fast]

Tor                                                       Mia [ next yr they finally get out of cellar]

Det [could be their yr need SS]               St Louis [battle to wire w/ Pirates]

KC [young players start to flourish]          Pitts [again young players flourish]

Cleve [take step back]                            Cinc [ Chapman injury hurts]

Chi [many young players coming]            Mil

Minn [see above]                                    Chi [Theo and Jed still few yrs away]

Tex [not sold on pitching]                        LA [too much payroll - not too pick?]

Sea [definate improvement this yr]          SF [comeback kids?]

Oak [too many injured pitchers]               AZ

LA [not enough pitching]                         Col [can Tulo / Cargo stay healthy?]

Hou [eventually will get better]                SD

RS vs Det Championship series- Det gets its revenge

Wash vs. St Louis- Wash goes to the dance

Wash wins a WS- Obama then takes credit for everything in Washington and claims he was the behind the seens GM and reason Nat's won!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Toronto.  Get baseball out of Canada.  All they care about are sports that are in the Olympics.  C’mon, Bud!! Break those leases and contracts and bring the Jays back home to Charlotte or Columbus or wherever!   What’s Canada going to do, sue us?  Bring it on, Hockey Boys!!   Frivolous lawsuits are OUR national sport!!

[/QUOTE]

How dare you. Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Great stuff Notin.  Very clever!

Call it the logic geek in me, but this was my favorite part:

"Money can’t buy happiness. Money can buy pennants. Therefore, pennants are not happiness."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dodgers put Beckett and Kemp on DL before opener

Good post, I assume you wrote this during your free-time and not at work? Smile

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry.  Italian food? Too confusing for me. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL! And this is why Notin is the best poster on this forum. Sorry for my momentary lapse in judgement. :)

[/QUOTE]

No, last year I had the Sox in alst in the AL East.  Somene complained that they always finish wworse than I predict, so I put the in fifth and said "this way either they wrap around and win the AL East or drop down and take the AL Central."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, last year I had the Sox in alst in the AL East.  Somene complained that they always finish wworse than I predict, so I put the in fifth and said "this way either they wrap around and win the AL East or drop down and take the AL Central."

[/QUOTE]

LOL. That's hilarious, and it should still count.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

AWESOME post notin.  i just stumbled upon this thread and it is exactly what i needed for a blah Tuesday morning.

10 points for wit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

AL EAST

1. BOS 94-68 (I seriously predicted the Sox to win it all last season.

2. NYY 92-70 (1st WC)

3. TB   88-74 

4. BAL 86-76

5. TOR 81-81

AL CENTRAL

1. DET 93-69

2. KC   90-72 (2nd WC)

3. CLE 87-75

4. CHW 80-82

5. MIN 72-90

AL WEST

1. LAA 91-71

2. OAK 90-72

3. TEX 88-74

4. SEA 83-79

5. HOU 70-92 (loves getting 1st picks)

NL EAST

1. WAS 91-71

2. ATL 89-73 (1st WC)

3. PHI 84-78

4. NYM 81-81

5. MIA 73-89

NL CENTRAL

1. STL 92-70

2. PIT 89-73 (2nd WC)

3. CIN 85-77

4. MIL 80-82

5. CHC 75-87

NL WEST

1. LAD 91-71

2. SF 88-74

3. ARI 86-76

4. COL 85-77

5. SD 80-82

AL CHAMPS: DET

NL CHAMPS: LAD

WS CHAMPS: DET

AL MVP: MIKE TROUT

NL MVP: BRYCE HARPER

AL CY: JUSTIN VERLANDER

NL CY: CLAYTON KERSHAW

AL ROY: XANDER BOGAERTS

NL ROY: BILLY HAMILTON

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

AL EAST

2. NYY 92-70 (1st WC)

3. TB   88-74 

4. BAL 86-76

5. TOR 81-81

AL CENTRAL

1. DET 93-69

2. KC   90-72 (2nd WC)

3. CLE 87-75

4. CHW 80-82

5. MIN 72-90

AL WEST

1. LAA 91-71

2. OAK 90-72

3. TEX 88-74

4. SEA 83-79

NL EAST

1. WAS 91-71

2. ATL 89-73 (1st WC)

3. PHI 84-78

4. NYM 81-81

5. MIA 73-89

NL CENTRAL

1. STL 92-70

2. PIT 89-73 (2nd WC)

3. CIN 85-77

4. MIL 80-82

5. CHC 75-87

NL WEST

1. LAD 91-71

2. SF 88-74

3. ARI 86-76

4. COL 85-77

5. SD 80-82

that would be cool to see KC back in the post season...boy i don't miss those days, having to face those George Brett KC teams :-) edit...good stuff notin..hey Moe!! Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AL EAST

2. NYY 92-70 (1st WC)

3. TB   88-74 

4. BAL 86-76

5. TOR 81-81

AL CENTRAL

1. DET 93-69

2. KC   90-72 (2nd WC)

3. CLE 87-75

4. CHW 80-82

5. MIN 72-90

AL WEST

1. LAA 91-71

2. OAK 90-72

3. TEX 88-74

4. SEA 83-79

NL EAST

1. WAS 91-71

2. ATL 89-73 (1st WC)

3. PHI 84-78

4. NYM 81-81

5. MIA 73-89

NL CENTRAL

1. STL 92-70

2. PIT 89-73 (2nd WC)

3. CIN 85-77

4. MIL 80-82

5. CHC 75-87

NL WEST

1. LAD 91-71

2. SF 88-74

3. ARI 86-76

4. COL 85-77

5. SD 80-82

[/QUOTE]

Well, you must be very humble, because I've never heard you claim that, and it was quite a prediction. Kudos to you! Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

The Sox season again rests on health, solid pitching and a lot of smart platoon type games from Farrell.  Nava and Gomes have to hold up LF, Middy needs to blossom and Sizemore stay healthy because I don't see JBJ ready to help.  Prediction: 1rst place if all falls into place again because of our pitching.  If not 2nd place and a possible wilcard.

The Yankees once again will be a mystery unless the elders stay healthy and guys like Tanaka, Pinada and Nova can help out.  CC is looking old and Kuroda is old but still nasty.  Banking on this team to stay healthy is like predicting you will live to be 200.  Prediction: 2nd place/wildcard if all falls into place.  I think they also have an outside shot at taking the division in Jeter's final season

The Orioles, are a team will a lot of great pieces and just enough pitching to hang around all year if Boston or the Yankees fumble.  Prediction:  3rd place, or possibly 2nd if things go south for the Yanks and/or Sox.  The Orioles should put a ton of runs on the scoreboard.

Tampa Bay, every year players who shouldn't play well usually have career years so they are again the toughest team to predict.  Their pitching is as good as anyone if they stay healthy but the lack of offense should hurt them in just enough games to fall out of the race.  Prediction: 4th place

Toronto, I think we all know what will probably happen here.

I don't really care who wins the other divisions at this point.  Getting to the PS again is a big enough challenge.  Lets worry about PS matchups or predicting who may be contenders if and when we get there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

AL East
    Red Sox 91-71 *                         
    Yankees 88-74* (wild card)
    Rays 87-75                                                   
    Orioles 83-79
    Blue Jays 77-85

AL Central
    Tigers 92-70*
    Royals 85-77
    Tribe 84-78
    Twins 69-93
    Pale Hose 63-99

AL West
    A's 91-71*
    Rangers 91-71 *(Wildcard)
    Halos 81-81
    Mariners 75-87
    Astros 61-101

NLE
    Braves 96-66
    Nats  88-74 *(Wildcard)
    NYM 78-84
    Phillies 73-89
    Marlins 67-95

NLC
    StL 97-65
    Cin 89-73 *(Wildcard)
    PT  85-77
    Mil  71-91
    Cubs 67-95

NLW
    LAD 93-69
    AZ 81-81
    SFG 77-85
    SDP 76-86
    Rox 74-88

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Prediction are nearly impossible to get even close to right.

I can't even think of a sleeper pick.

I am confident, though, that the NYY shall be better than the NYM; they look awful, and no Harvey this yr.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AL East
    Red Sox 91-71 *                         
    Yankees 88-74* (wild card)
    Rays 87-75                                                   
    Orioles 83-79
    Blue Jays 77-85

AL Central
    Tigers 92-70*
    Royals 85-77
    Tribe 84-78
    Twins 69-93
    Pale Hose 63-99

AL West
    A's 91-71*
    Rangers 91-71 *(Wildcard)
    Halos 81-81
    Mariners 75-87
    Astros 61-101

NLE
    Braves 96-66
    Nats  88-74 *(Wildcard)
    NYM 78-84
    Phillies 73-89
    Marlins 67-95

NLC
    StL 97-65
    Cin 89-73 *(Wildcard)
    PT  85-77
    Mil  71-91
    Cubs 67-95

NLW
    LAD 93-69
    AZ 81-81
    SFG 77-85
    SDP 76-86
    Rox 74-88

[/QUOTE]

Now here's a credible set of predictions.  Let's see how you do, Joe.

Sections
Shortcuts