2014 MLB first year player draft thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

2014 MLB first year player draft thread

The Astros take Brady Aiken with the first pick and now the Marlins are on the clock.

Sox pick at #26

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: 2014 MLB first year player draft thread

who do we want?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Best player available. 

Me personally, I'd like to see them take some high risk high ceiling picks.  Possibly a high school bat, or a pitcher.

I'd also like to see the Sox draft some power into the system, but if they think the BPA is a pitcher then so be it. Keep feeding the monster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox might also take someone who falls....like and Kyle Freeland who was considered a top 10 pick until injuries....and he just got drafted as I typed this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sox always take the best player available, don't target and draft by position 

‏@PeteAbe
    Some college players who fit the profile of what the Red Sox like have gone in recent picks. Tyler Beede still there for now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Jacob Gatewood or Sean Reid-Foley here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think we have to take jacob gatewood. we have no power bats in our system, he has as much power as anyone in the draft. No way he sticks at shortstop, we could move him to 1B or LF. (he’s 6’5)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's Chavis

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox go after a college arm next.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm kinda hoping Gettys with the #33 pick, but I'm no expert in this area.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    #RedSox take HS infielder Michael Chavis of Marietta, Ga.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Who is Chavis?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Harold Reynolds just said Chavis has tremendous upside and is funny. Well funny is good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On Chavis... MLB.com has this to say...

Chavis isn't the most fluid of prospects that you'll see in this year's draft, but with average to above-average tools across the board he is one of the better bats in Georgia this year.

At the plate, Chavis has a quiet approach with a small step towards the mound, but rotates his hips well with above-average bat speed to generate surprising power, though almost entirely to the pull side. He will occasionally rotate those hips late, however, and his high hand load could give him trouble against better velocity.

There's debate whether or not Chavis will play in the outfield or at third at the next level, with the latter being the more likely landing spot as he doesn't have great athleticism and his arm action is awkward, though he does have arm strength and a quick release. A team could try him in right, but the most likely landing spot is left field, where the bat should be able to play.

Present  Future

hitng  40    50

power 40  55

run spd 50  45

fldg rng 40  45

arm    55   55

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

decent pick, but not the right pick. Gatewood would have filled a major need. We have a major lack of power throughout the organization. Gatewood has 30+ homer power. Now we have to hope gatewood falls to us at 33. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Chavis has more raw power than MLB projects.  He won the HR derby in which he outslugged a lot of other guys on off the board with power, including gillespe.

He was the best hitter available on the board.  Power potential, and according to Jim Calis he might have the best hit tool in the entire draft.

And he has the versatility to move to multiple positions.  Young high school SS, let him play next to Devers in Greenville next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

decent pick, but not the right pick. Gatewood would have filled a major need. We have a major lack of power throughout the organization. Gatewood has 30+ homer power. Now we have to hope gatewood falls to us at 33. 

[/QUOTE]

Power means nothing if you can't hit.  Chavis has a lot of power potential too and a much better hit tool.  He might have a better chance of playing up in the majors.  I liked Gatewood too, that was my pick but I'm happy with Chavis.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

fair enough, 3 more picks then we are up again, perhaps we can snag gatewood there. would be solid if we could add 2 good hitters as we have lots of pitchers in the organization. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lots of pitchers left on the board but I could see them drafting a college bat like Derek Fisher if he's there.  The Sox were linked to him before the Draft. I really like Reid and Ortiz too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

there goes Ortiz....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

2 more picks to go, gatewood still on the board

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

make that 1 pick

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

wow gatwood and reid-foley still on the board. Has to be one of those, really hoping gatewood. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

wow, just wow