2014 Pitching Depth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

2014 Pitching Depth

The Red Sox will likely play most of the season with a 12-man pitching staff. Assuming everyone is healthy, which seldom is the case, the current depth chart probably looks as follows:

The locks:

1. SP Jon Lester

2. SP John Lackey

3. SP Clay Buchholz

4. SP Felix Doubront

5. SP Jake Peavy

6. RP Koji Uehara

7. RP Edward Mujica

8. RP Junichi Tazawa

9. RP Craig Breslow

Competing for the final three spots: RP Andrew Miller, RP Burke Badenhop, RP Chris Capuano, RP Brandon Workman, RP Francisco Cordero, RP Alex Wilson, RP Drake Britton, RP Rubby de la Rosa, RP Rich Hill, RP Steven Wright.

There are some other intriguing names, mostly younger prospects who might out-pitch some of these guys in spring training, but realistically due to service time and roster status, none of the unmentioned ones will make the team out of camp. I'm guessing that if everyone stays healthy, Miller, Badenhop and Capuano round out the bullpen, with Workman as the top injury replacement. If Cordero looks top shelf, maybe he gets into the conversation. Wilson, Britton, and de la Rosa still have minor league options left and Hill is only around as a non-roster invite. Capuano has the advantage of being a Dempster-like durable swingman with local roots. Steven Wright somewhat fits that same swingman profile, but I don't think he'll ever amount to much of anything other than September roster expansion fodder. He's not even that young.

I'm really excited to see how the guys who start out at Portland and Pawtucket progress throughout the year. Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Anthony Ranaudo, Allen Webster (I'm not quite as enthusiastic about him anymore) could all find their way to Boston by September. Dalier Hinojosa and Jose Mijares might surprise some people too. I haven't given up yet on Brayan Villareal either. I love his strikeout totals.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 2014 Pitching Depth

This is what I see happening (as of right now):

SP1 Lester

SP2 Buchholz

SP3 Lackey

SP4 Peavy

SP5 Doubront

RP1 Uehara

RP2 Mujica

RP3 Tazawa

RP4 Breslow

RP5 Miller

RP6 Badenhop

RP7/SP6 Capuano

Starting on the farm (in rough order of who might get called up 1st):

SP/RP: Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Couch, Hernandez, Kehrt

SP: Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, Hinojosa, Ely, Owens, M Pena

RP: Mijares, Cordero, Villareal, Wilson, R Hill, Watanabe, Layne, Resop, Valdez, N Ramirez, Celestino

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

What I see Ben did this Off-Season, was cover the team for injuries, and fatigue. Smart. Hinojosa was the first name to sign this Off-Season. When he wa signed, Ben said he fully expects him to make the rotation by mid season.
    The starters are covered, and looks like the Relievers too. Capuano could be intresting name at Trade Dead-line. Wont get a AAA or AA, but A+ Minor Leaguer could be involved.
    I see Theo doing this with the Cubs, he doesn't always go for High Level of Minor Leaguers, but he'll take the best ones from Lower Levels.  CJ Edwards for example. I like this strategy.

Only thing you need is patience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What I see Ben did this Off-Season, was cover the team for injuries, and fatigue. Smart. Hinojosa was the first name to sign this Off-Season. When he wa signed, Ben said he fully expects him to make the rotation by mid season.
    The starters are covered, and looks like the Relievers too. Capuano could be intresting name at Trade Dead-line. Wont get a AAA or AA, but A+ Minor Leaguer could be involved.
    I see Theo doing this with the Cubs, he doesn't always go for High Level of Minor Leaguers, but he'll take the best ones from Lower Levels.  CJ Edwards for example. I like this strategy.

Only thing you need is patience.

[/QUOTE]

...and we can afford to be paitient with "far-away prospects", since we have so many "near prospects" and "tweener prospects" in the ranks.