1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I hope that the Sox:

1.  Resign Ellsbury.  Unless he gets crazy greedy, Boston is best place for him.  Boras even said he would like him to resign with Sox.

2.  Resign Drew.  He is solid defensively and he can hit for a SS.  He has had some big hits this year.

3.   Resign Salty.  He is only getting better.  He has had a very good year.  Lavarnway will never be a MLB starter.

4.   Get a couple of bullpen arms.

5.   Continue to develop and keep the kids. (JBJ, Raunado, Webster, Rubby, Henry Owens, Bogaerts, etc)

6.   If Napoli finishes strong, consider resigning him if money is right.  If not, convert Middlebrooks to first and put Bogaerts at third, which is probably his major league position.

7.  Find a closer from somewhere.  Can't expect Uehara to be great two years in a row.  He is better suited to set up in 7th or 8th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: 2014

I hope they resign Els but I think he's a goner. I believe they'll resign Salty to a multi yr deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I hope they resign Els but I think he's a goner. I believe they'll resign Salty to a multi yr deal. 

I think Ells is a goner to but you never know.  If Sox want to keep him they have the money and JBJ can play left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It's good thing that SP is not the priority for the Sox this offseason.  I believe Ells will be the first thing they focus on but long ways to go.  I think it's 50-50.  If Sox offer something that is close to the highest bid, Ells might take it.  For 1B, we have few in-house candidates so unless Naps gets hot and finishes year very strong, I don't see Sox extending Naps to multi yr deal.  Carp and Middlebrooks would be the leading candidate.  I see Drew getting multi yr deal with the Sox.  He's been hitting and showing strong defensive skills at SS.  Drew can be better SS than Bogaerts.  And signing Drew will result in position change with Bogaerts.  Salty deserved extention and our pitchers love Salty.  Don't want to break up the relationship.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

It's good thing that SP is not the priority for the Sox this offseason.  I believe Ells will be the first thing they focus on but long ways to go.  I think it's 50-50.  If Sox offer something that is close to the highest bid, Ells might take it.  For 1B, we have few in-house candidates so unless Naps gets hot and finishes year very strong, I don't see Sox extending Naps to multi yr deal.  Carp and Middlebrooks would be the leading candidate.  I see Drew getting multi yr deal with the Sox.  He's been hitting and showing strong defensive skills at SS.  Drew can be better SS than Bogaerts.  And signing Drew will result in position change with Bogaerts.  Salty deserved extention and our pitchers love Salty.  Don't want to break up the relationship.  

It all depends on the market that develops with no Harvey are the Mets likely to make an offer? Seattle may get involved be they may be searching for a new GM and manager.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think a big X-factor in all of this is Ortiz.  He'll be a FA after next season and probably retire...this could actually have a large bearing on what we do.  I actually like the idea of re-signing Napps and Drew.  Drew is VERY good at SS and has a solid bat.  Napps is what he is...SUPER HOT...and SUPER COLD.  Next year I can see the Sox having a lot of depth and flexibility with Napps, Drew, Boggy and WMB.  Once Ortiz retires Napps can slide into DH, WMB to 1B, Drew SS and Boggs 3b.  We keep some solid players, stay young, have depth and keep much of this winning team intact. 

I have always been a big Salty supporter and hope they re-sign him.  Ells is gone. Enter JBJ...just hope he can learn to hit the inside pitch and a curve at the MLB level.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I think a big X-factor in all of this is Ortiz.  He'll be a FA after next season and probably retire...this could actually have a large bearing on what we do.  I actually like the idea of re-signing Napps and Drew.  Drew is VERY good at SS and has a solid bat.  Napps is what he is...SUPER HOT...and SUPER COLD.  Next year I can see the Sox having a lot of depth and flexibility with Napps, Drew, Boggy and WMB.  Once Ortiz retires Napps can slide into DH, WMB to 1B, Drew SS and Boggs 3b.  We keep some solid players, stay young, have depth and keep much of this winning team intact. 

I have always been a big Salty supporter and hope they re-sign him.  Ells is gone. Enter JBJ...just hope he can learn to hit the inside pitch and a curve at the MLB level.

Just for the record, this could/should be Ortiz's last year !!!!

Hey clown, can you PLEASE do us all a favor and tell us why the player that is leading the team in HR's, BA, OPS and RBI's should NOT play next year.  If you say it's because he's slow.....there are a lot of slow players in this league...not valid.  If you say it's because he gets injured a lot....well, after the heal injury was taken care of the first few weeks of the season he has played in almost 95% of the games...so not valid.  Why don't you just say it:  You hate Ortiz, you hate people from the DR, you are r a c i s t so don't want hime here (which is also evident from your lame RDLR jokes) and he proved you VERY wrong this year and you don't want that to happen again.......even though you'll be banned for life before that.....(or at least that's what I have been told if strike 3 were to happen)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

McCann over salty,

I'd make a serious run at Ellsbury, but be fully prepared to walk away from the table if another team comes in with a ridiculous offer. 

If we can't resign Ellsbury, then I'd like to see our minor league depth used to either trade for a #1 starter, or a LF, Stanton??? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

interesting article on next year payroll

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2013/08/where-ben-cheringtons-payroll-stands-for-2014.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Good share Uconn13. A pretty good break down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd like us to 

1) Let Ellsbury walk & bring up JBJ

2) Re-sign Salty (he's become almost as good as McCann offensively, and he'll be much cheaper, and he knows the staff)

3) Let Napoli walk and sign Jose Abreu

4) Sign Eric Chavez to a one-year deal

5) Sign Grady Sizemore to a minor-league deal

6) Let Drew walk and give Bogaerts the starting SS job

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Just for the record, this could/should be Ortiz's last year !!!!

Why would you want to get rid of the best hitter on the team?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

McCann over salty,

I'd make a serious run at Ellsbury, but be fully prepared to walk away from the table if another team comes in with a ridiculous offer. 

If we can't resign Ellsbury, then I'd like to see our minor league depth used to either trade for a #1 starter, or a LF, Stanton??? 

Isn't letting your own guys go for marginal upgrades what cause 2011 and 2012? If you are going to spend money on catcher spend it on Salty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I'd like us to 

2) Re-sign Salty (he's become almost as good as McCann offensively, and he'll be much cheaper, and he knows the staff)

seriously?? Chavez and Sizemore are often injure proned player. and Abreu, we dont know if he is capable to play at the major league level.  And Bradley will have up and down year which mean he may be bench or send down to the minor league occassionally!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

McCann over salty,

McCann will be much more than Salty, and besides a little uptick on offense, they are the same player defensively. Salty would be the better value in price and the fact that he works great with our pitchers and can handle Boston.

I am against Stanton right now. Id wait until hes a FA. Too much in prospects for him. Unless we can keep our top players, I dont do it. Not for a RF who hasnt stayed healthy 3 out of his 4 seasons. Great potential, but Im not selling the farm for a couple years of Stanton who will cost a lot regardless. Ill look at him as a 26YO FA in 2016-17.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I'd like us to 

Are you related to Chavez or Sizemore?  What in the world would Sox want them for?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

McCann over salty,

McCann will be much more than Salty, and besides a little uptick on offense, they are the same player defensively. Salty would be the better value in price and the fact that he works great with our pitchers and can handle Boston.

I am against Stanton right now. Id wait until hes a FA. Too much in prospects for him. Unless we can keep our top players, I dont do it. Not for a RF who hasnt stayed healthy 3 out of his 4 seasons. Great potential, but Im not selling the farm for a couple years of Stanton who will cost a lot regardless. Ill look at him as a 26YO FA in 2016-17.

I agree on both points. My son wants the Sox to sign James Shields in the off season curious what others here would think about signing him. I like Shields but don't want to see younger pitchers get blocked.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'd prefet the Sox make a Qualifying Offer to Drew over a long term commitment...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I'd like us to 

Are you related to Chavez or Sizemore?  What in the world would Sox want them for?

Even if Chavez decides to come back next year, he will no longer sign with a team that has Spring Training on East Coast, so he's not an option. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

McCann over salty,

Isn't letting your own guys go for marginal upgrades what cause 2011 and 2012? If you are going to spend money on catcher spend it on Salty.

Yes/No  spending money and bringing a better player in at a position is never a bad thing, but there are various other contributing factors.  

But McCan blocks better, throws better, hits better, more power, more walks.  While he's not significantly better than Salty at any of these, the fact that he's a little better at them all makes him a big upgrade. McCann also hits lefties much better than Salty does, not great but better.  Salty is pretty much an automatic out batting RH, and we've seen teams exploit us with the running game at will almost. 

I'm not saying there isn't an argument with signing Salty over McCann because there is....but it's not "if you spend money on him the Sox will fail"  We can afford to sign a guy like McCann and still not be strapped for cash. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

McCann over salty,

I actually think McCann is better than Salty defensively. Admitedly not by much, but he is better and is definitely an offensive upgrade.  I don't specifically need Stanton, I just want a big upgrade either on the offensive side or the pitching side this offseason, I figured someone in the Mold of Stanton may do.

I'm open to resigning Salty, I actually like Salty.  I would offer Salty a QO and bring him back for one year if he accepts.  If he doesn' accept (which is more than likely) that still waters his value down a bit to other teams.....every team out there will have to lose a first round pick to sign him except us.  But if the cost to sign McCann isn't that much more than Salty (It will be more) I'd make a very serious consideration at bringing him in. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

McCann over salty,

I agree on both points. My son wants the Sox to sign James Shields in the off season curious what others here would think about signing him. I like Shields but don't want to see younger pitchers get blocked.

I think he has a team option that should be exercised.  I doubt KC gave away Will Myers for one year of Shields.  KC is an up and coming team in the playoff race this year with hopes of being even better next....they will keep Shields around the anchor that rotation for at least one more year.

Perhaps a trade for him? or someone else similiar? that I would be open too. 

Sections
Shortcuts