$20M per year bustout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

$20M per year bustout

Carl Crawford had an 0-for-3 night in Thursday's loss to the Rays, dropping his batting average to .249.
    He's been hovering between the .248 and .255 range for the past month. He has shown glimpses of breaking out of his season-long slump, but nothing sustained beyond a few games. Crawford's .681 OPS is 92 points off his career average. 

Meanwhile, he has career lows in steals, walks, runs, and RBI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Re: $20M per year bustout

In Response to $20M per year bustout:
    Carl Crawford had an 0-for-3 night in Thursday's loss to the Rays, dropping his batting average to .249. He's been hovering between the .248 and .255 range for the past month. He has shown glimpses of breaking out of his season-long slump, but nothing sustained beyond a few games. Crawford's .681 OPS is 92 points off his career average.  Meanwhile, he has career lows in steals, walks, runs, and RBI.
    Posted by ADG

Either a jinx or too much pressure to live up to a big contract in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think ,even more telling than the lack of offensive production (which IMO he seems susceptible to, given his stance and lack of plate discipline), is his complete lack of aggression on the basepaths and his very mimsy defense.  Clearly he is shook.  That being said, unlike others who have written Carl off as a mega$$ bust, I think, given his long contract, he will relax after his first off year and turn back into the Carl Crawford we all knew and hated with the Rays.  His head was definitely not right this year.  But I expect he will settle in for the duration of his contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout:
    I think ,even more telling than the lack of offensive production (which IMO he seems susceptible to, given his stance and lack of plate discipline), is his complete lack of aggression on the basepaths and his very mimsy defense.  Clearly he is shook.  That being said, unlike others who have written Carl off as a mega$$ bust, I think, given his long contract, he will relax after his first off year and turn back into the Carl Crawford we all knew and hated with the Rays.  His head was definitely not right this year.  But I expect he will settle in for the duration of his contract.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

just like drew. keep on dreaming, spaceman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Just once I'd like to see him hit the cut off man

He is on his way to being the worst signing in the history of sport

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : just like drew. keep on dreaming, spaceman.
    Posted by thee---crawful

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

LOL spaceman

it looks like it could be a big stage thing

but sometimes guys just have bad yrs

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But do not forget that it is harder to score runs or steals playing on the dirt at Fenway Park than playing in Tampa running on the turf field.  Also he like to make slap hit where his hits doesnt travel as fast or bounce hard like the ones in Tampa Dome field.  Also it is much easier to use his speed on the turf to run fast toward to 1B to get an infield hit or etc.  

So really Crawford is more a fit turf field baseball hitter.  He just need to make an adjustment on his hitting part.  Elsbury had a hard time hitting in his first two years, and he finally figure it all out.  Look at him, he is having a career high stats.  I am sure Crawford will learn from him!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : just like drew. keep on dreaming, spaceman.
    Posted by thee---crawful

And Renteria, etc, etc, etc.  As you stated, "with the Rays". 
    It's too hot in the kitchen for Carl Crawford.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : Exactly Space. This happens a lot when a player joins a new team for big money. He will be fine next year and for years to come. 
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Yup, just like Lackey has done in his 2nd year. And Drew did throughout his career in Boston.

They are misjudged mistakes by Theo, period. And unfortunately, $38M worth of mistakes for many years to come.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : Exactly Space. This happens a lot when a player joins a new team for big money. He will be fine next year and for years to come. 
    Posted by thepeskypole6

you're either a fool or a denier; having read some of your other posts, i'm going with fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

space I agree with you on all accounts except the batting stance. It is the same stance he has used all the time down here. I think he should be put up in the line up batting order. I just do not see him getting any good pitches to hit. For the past 4 years he either hit in front of Pena or Longoria which gave him a lot of good pitches to see. Here he usually has Scutaro/Mac or some else who does not protect him. We all know having a guy behind you that is a good hitter like Agon, Ortiz, Youk would get him more and better pitches.
    Most of what he sees is outside and down when they do come inside it is inside.
    I say bat him 3rd and you will see him take off.

They did the samething with Pedroia the first year had him low in the BA and when they moved him up he went nuts hitting. In many cases it is all about who is hitting behind you.
    It is why Scutaro's BA is at a career high now. He sees so many good pitches because NO ONE wants to face Ellbury this year NO ONE.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But do not forget that it is harder to score runs or steals playing on the dirt at Fenway Park than playing in Tampa running on the turf field.  Also he like to make slap hit where his hits doesnt travel as fast or bounce hard like the ones in Tampa Dome field.  Also it is much easier to use his speed on the turf to run fast toward to 1B to get an infield hit or etc.   So really Crawford is more a fit turf field baseball hitter.  He just need to make an adjustment on his hitting part.  Elsbury had a hard time hitting in his first two years, and he finally figure it all out.  Look at him, he is having a career high stats.  I am sure Crawford will learn from him!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

Does the field surface affect a player's ability to hit a cut off man?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : on this board of fools and deniers, you are not the only one who believes CRAWFUL will become great. however, i agree with andrew that CRAWFUL will be the worst position player signing of all time. SLACKEY is definitely in the top 5 of worst pitcher signings ever. here's a question spaceman: name the one person who was mainly involved in both those tragedies? btw, john lennon would have hated theo; he didn't like arrogant people who were actually quite stupid. ya know, kind of like george w.
    Posted by thee---crawful

I also think Carl Crawesome will return to form.  So put me on record for that.

BTW: Whats with all the vitriol?  Rage much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : I also think Carl Crawesome will return to form.  So put me on record for that. BTW: Whats with all the vitriol?  Rage much?
    Posted by cglassanos

hey assinnose,

the sox aren't going to the playoffs; your october is ruined. couldn't happen to a better assinnose.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: $20M per year bustout : space I agree with you on all accounts except the batting stance. It is the same stance he has used all the time down here. I think he should be put up in the line up batting order. I just do not see him getting any good pitches to hit. For the past 4 years he either hit in front of Pena or Longoria which gave him a lot of good pitches to see. Here he usually has Scutaro/Mac or some else who does not protect him. We all know having a guy behind you that is a good hitter like Agon, Ortiz, Youk would get him more and better pitches. Most of what he sees is outside and down when they do come inside it is inside. I say bat him 3rd and you will see him take off. They did the samething with Pedroia the first year had him low in the BA and when they moved him up he went nuts hitting. In many cases it is all about who is hitting behind you. It is why Scutaro's BA is at a career high now. He sees so many good pitches because NO ONE wants to face Ellbury this year NO ONE.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Good point on the batting order position Jim.  But, I think the batting stance and the lack of good pitches are inter-related.  That stance, which actually does close up before he strides, gets him in a great position to smash balls in the zone.  But, it also makes him off balance on balls out of the zone.  And so, since he is not a patient hitter either, he is swinging off balance at way more pitches than he ever has because, as you point to, he isn't seeing good pitches (not having protection excacerbated by his willingness to swing at anything and everything).

Sections
Shortcuts