23 Hits!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

23 Hits!

In the two losses to SD, only 3 of the 23 hits were for extra bases, none yesterday. With Francona's station to station managerial style, that doesn't translate into a lot of runs.
    Clearly, the pitching let us down in game two as in game three, but scoring 1 run against a 2-9 pitcher with a 4+ ERA was pitiful.
    Ok, the field conditions sucked, but they sucked for both teams and we allowed 5 runs per game to a team who averages 3.3 runs.
    Certainly not our finest hour!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: 23 Hits!

based on SAN DIEGO'S 'triple a' line-up, both SLACKEY and ACEVES would have gotten beat pitching for pawtucket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No, not our finest hour.  But you can't really expect the bats to be as hot as they have been.  There are going to be plenty of stretches where they are quiet and frustrating with rally killing double plays and LOBs.  The mark of a truly potent offense is how quick it can flip the quiet/frustrating spells.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I'll refer back to the White Sox series when I wasn't worried. This game of baseball needs to be looked at in series in my opinion. We lost the series against the Padres. However we won the past 4 series before that. Not worried, long season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The San Diego series shows the relative parity in Major League Baseball. It's not as if the Red Sox were playing the baseball team from Central Maine Community College. The Padres field a bonafide MLB team, although their talent might not rival the talent of the Red Sox.

The Red Sox might have a highly successful season, but the Sox will not steamroll every team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to 23 Hits!:
    In the two losses to SD, only 3 of the 23 hits were for extra bases, none yesterday. With Francona's station to station managerial style, that doesn't translate into a lot of runs. Clearly, the pitching let us down in game two as in game three, but scoring 1 run against a 2-9 pitcher with a 4+ ERA was pitiful. Ok, the field conditions sucked, but they sucked for both teams and we allowed 5 runs per game to a team who averages 3.3 runs. Certainly not our finest hour!
    Posted by Alibiike

It's not exactly a managerial style.  He's utilizing the players where they can best succeed.  You don't exactly want Gonzo, Youk, and Big Papi stealing bases, even though Big Papi awkwardly nabbed one in the second game, while Ellsbury was caught stealing in that game. The Red Sox just didn't produce with runners on the bases and hit into two DPs in each of those games.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is not only about total hits but putting them together. For two games they did not. It happens.
    It seemed every time they had men on they did not get a hit but when they came up with no one on or just on first they got  hit.  KAKA happens

Back when Tampa waon the division they would get 6 or 7 hits and 2 walks in a game and they all seemed to come in the 7th or 8th innings. Timing of hits is very important.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

That's the big leagues for you. When Doug Davis, arguably one of the worst SPs in baseball, slew the Yankees last week, Girardi said "He's a big league pitcher; who painted the corners and mixed it up well; anything can happen in any game, and that's the beauty of baseball"

So, if the RS say, win 100 games; excellent for anybody, then you still have to lose 62; something many fickle fans overlook.

Along the same lines, some fans complained when Ellsbury was thrown out recently; now they're complaining when they don't go. It's easy to be a Mon AM QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to 23 Hits!:
    In the two losses to SD, only 3 of the 23 hits were for extra bases, none yesterday. With Francona's station to station managerial style, that doesn't translate into a lot of runs. Clearly, the pitching let us down in game two as in game three, but scoring 1 run against a 2-9 pitcher with a 4+ ERA was pitiful. Ok, the field conditions sucked, but they sucked for both teams and we allowed 5 runs per game to a team who averages 3.3 runs. Certainly not our finest hour!
    Posted by Alibiike
    When you don't get any hits with RISP in doesn't translate into runs but it does convert into big innings when you do. So far that has equated to 400 runs, the most in MLB season to date.

And may I add it is not just Francona's style, he was hired because he managed this way. It is based in SABRmetric beliefs and those who don't like it, well, they don't like what will be the RS Way IMO as long as John Henry owns this team and has Epstein as his GM, regardless of who the manager is it will be the RS Way. 

The RS don't believe in trading an out to reduce the chances of a big inning to increase the odds of a single run except in certain late and close situations. It is an organizational philosophy.

At a 30,000 foot view on average the RS need to score 5 runs in a game to win because on average they will allow 4. Yesterday they didn't score 5. It is all part of not going 162 - 0.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Washington swept Seattle in a three-game series even though the three Mariner starters surrendered only one earned run over 21 innings. The three one-run losses dropped the M's below .500 for the first time in about a month.

Those are the breaks in baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Losing Lowrie has been a real killer. Until they get Lowrie back, the offense is going to struggle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to 23 Hits!:
    Posted by Alibiike

Why put up a post as ridiculous as this one?  The Red Sox lead MLB in batting average, runs, hits, doubles, total bases, RBI, OBP, Slugging percentage, and OPS.

But yeah the last two games they haven't hit well so why not put up a post about it?  I mean we all saw the box score.  Yeah it was a bad couple of games. We know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: 23 Hits!:
    In Response to 23 Hits! : Why put up a post as ridiculous as this one?  The Red Sox lead MLB in batting average, runs, hits, doubles, total bases, RBI, OBP, Slugging percentage, and OPS. But yeah the last two games they haven't hit well so why not put up a post about it?  I mean we all saw the box score.  Yeah it was a bad couple of games. We know.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I have no idea either what this is all about.  That we scored 1 run yesterday?  There were 3 games played this afternoon, and 4 teams scored 1 run or less.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to 23 Hits!:
    Posted by Alibiike

Al, 

No, not our finest.  Bewildering.  

But hopefully just a blip.

As far as blaming Tito ... since 1962, RISP LOB and LOB have been a maddeningly re-occuring part of Red Sox history.  Good HITTING teams with lots of runs ... but MANY MORE left on base. 

Not a Tito exclusive by ANY stretch of the imagination.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is baseball. That's why the season is 162 games long. The better team doesn't always win a single game or 3 game series or even a season series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I reference 1962 because that is when I became a Red Sox fan at the age of 6. 

I cannot tell you how many times my buddies and I used to yell at the TV about leaving men on base ...

I had to stop watching with some guys because they were so stinkin' negative.  I encouraged them to become Mets fans ...because there was so much negative stuff to enjoy.  I suppose at the age of 8 that was a bit precocious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to 23 Hits!:
    Posted by Alibiike

Open mouth, insert foot..We lead the league in runs..
    The padres, although one of the worst teams, still fields MLB players that are going to win a few..It happens..its baseball..obviously a 14-5 record over the last 19 games is not good enough..Lets start another Tito bashing thread...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: 23 Hits!:
    In Response to 23 Hits! : When you don't get any hits with RISP in doesn't translate into runs but it does convert into big innings when you do. So far that has equated to 400 runs, the most in MLB season to date. And may I add it is not just Francona's style, he was hired because he managed this way. It is based in SABRmetric beliefs and those who don't like it, well, they don't like what will be the RS Way IMO as long as John Henry owns this team and has Epstein as his GM, regardless of who the manager is it will be the RS Way.  The RS don't believe in trading an out to reduce the chances of a big inning to increase the odds of a single run except in certain late and close situations. It is an organizational philosophy. At a 30,000 foot view on average the RS need to score 5 runs in a game to win because on average they will allow 4. Yesterday they didn't score 5. It is all part of not going 162 - 0.
    Posted by fivekatz

Bingo as Law used to say. Allibi  Ike can always be counted on to be pessimistic, skeptical, cynical, and critical. It is just his way of rooting or else he is a concern troll. You must tip your hat to him for consistently being a wet blanket 99% of the time. To me that means that he is trolling but I am aware that such talk is forbidden here. Allibi Ike isn't happy unless he is complaining. My guess is that he makes such posts and starts such threads because he is extremely lonely and craving for attention - much like Softlaw. No need to call him a troll - just call him a pretender striving for attention.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

No excuses for Lackey but I am not basing any judgement on yesterday's outing. All that starting, stopping, re-warming up, and pitching in the rain he desrve a little slack for that game. He pitched pretty well in the first two outings after DL and the Sox still need him to step up and pitch to the point of being average 4th starter that can get you to 6th and 7th innings giving up 4 runs. Jusdt eat innings and keep the game close.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pike, you make me ill.
    "IKE" is not always critical or cynical.
    He doesn't fit into UR nice, neat box.
    He's simply making a point.

The station-to-station baseball is part of playing in Fenway park.
    It's also more prominent with the absence of Crawford.
    The team becomes less multi-dimensional when CRAWBURY isn't at play.

Sections
Shortcuts