25 or 6 to 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: 25 or 6 to 4

So what your saying is Salty is terrible? And if Tek wisely retires this winter than the team is screwed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to 25 or 6 to 4:
    [QUOTE]I never did understand the meaning of that song, but this is how it relates to baseball: 25 - represents the number of innings Tek has caught in his last two games. 25 innings: 5 hits  0 runs. Before that he caught Weiland in his memorable debut: When Gregg transformed Papi into a heavy-weight contender:) 6 - run inning off the rookie. After he was tossed, the pen threw 5 no-hit innings. All told, in the last 30 frames Tek has caught, catching Weiland/Beckett/Miller/BP, no runs and 5 hits. Actually 32 straight scoreless innings. Keep in mind, we're not talking Lester/Josh/Buch here. Before that, he caught Josh's 10-3 win. Beckett just came back off the knee issue, so he was a bit rusty. He only threw 5 IP. But the BP came in and threw 4 - shutout innings allowing 1 hit! Excluding the rookie's debut, that's 34 innings of 6 hit shutout ball. Over the last 45 innings Tek has caught, 43 of them have been scoreless! This rivals the only other pitching run the team has had all year. We all recall the ugly April start. By mid-April, Tito replaced a shaky Salty by playing Tek. The staff "coincidently" took off. From April 16 on, they went on a tier. Tek caught on the 16th/18th/20th/21st/23rd. The staff allowed 7 runs (not just earned runs, but total runs) in those 5 games. Despite the horrid month, the team was 6-5 in Tek's starts. Overall, the REDSOX are 28-12 (.700) when Tek starts. And 22-7 since April. [31-25 w/Salty (.553)] Team ERA with Tek: 3.15 Team ERA w/o Tek: 4.48 Total: 3.80 Oh yeah, that's some "voo-doo". Now, about that song...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Very clever; and now I have that song in my head, TYVM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4:
    [QUOTE]I am 100% sure that when Chicago wrote the lyrics for this song that it had nothing whatsoever to do about baseball. Thus the OP is a crock. Another useless thread.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

No, I should read your posts instead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Team with Tek catching with Josh Beckett: 28-12. Team with Tek catching without Josh Beckett: 20-9. Josh without Tek: 11-15 (incl playoffs). Josh with Tek: 72-29 (incl playoffs). Lester w/Tek: 1.88 ERA - last year's exact number as this year. Lester w/o Tek: 3.69 ERA/ Same last year with VMART. Buch with Tek: 3.38 ERA Buch w/o Tek: 3.52 ERA Aceves with Tek: 3.26 Aceves w/o Tek: 3.60 Miller with Tek: 2.39 ERA Miller w/o Tek: 5.95 ERA Staff with Tek: 3.15 ERA Staff w/o Tek: 4.48 ERA Two pitching runs with Tek. None without Tek.

Compelling stuff; sign me up for the CERA Newsletter!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

What are we to make of VMart and Napoli both not landing starting jobs as catchers?  I think there is only one logical conclusion and I don't think it has anything to do with stolen bases.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]OK, who really knows the meaning of the song's title?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I am 100% sure that when Chicago wrote the lyrics for this song that it had nothing whatsoever to do about baseball. Thus the OP is a crock. Another useless thread.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

When the song was written, it could well have been about baseball ... or what ever else they were thinking about while they were trippin'.

The question really is about whether "to do some more."  Acid, hash, weed, whatever ...  baseball, whatever ...  Think about it, isn't that always an issue for us when each of us log on and then even post ...

The artistic application of the numbers and reference to the song title are an invigorating change of pace.  How many of our threads are really useful anyway???  You are taking yourself and this board way too seriously, echo.

BTW

Harness, cool post.   I think maybe we need you to get into the Gang of Six and work on their numbers.

Chicago's my all time favorite band.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You don't have to buy the CERA thesis to agree that Harness's latest numbers are compelling and that Varitek has been a positive influence this year.  By catching 2 of 5 games, he takes the heat off of Saltalamacchia and helps to keep the pitching staff on an even keel.  He has great work habits and a ton of experience and knowledge, and his hitting ain't terrible, especially for a catcher.  Posada, by contrast, is only good for DH'ing and not so good at that.

I think Harness's real point is that Sunday the old man went out onto that stormy sea for almost five hours and caught a really big fish--and brought it home so that the Rays couldn't eat it.  Then yesterday his starter almost disintegrated, but didn't and ended up throwing 5.2 shutout innings.  

Ignore CERA if it disagrees with you.  Tek is an asset to this team and a smart move by management to keep him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : When the song was written, it could well have been about baseball ... or what ever else they were thinking about while they were trippin'. The question really is about whether "to do some more."   Acid, hash, weed, whatever ...  baseball, whatever ...  Think about it, isn't that always an issue for us when each of us log on and then even post ...   The artistic application of the numbers and reference to the song title are an invigorating change of pace.  How many of our threads are really useful anyway???  You are taking yourself and this board way too seriously, echo. BTW Harness, cool post.   I think maybe we need you to get into the Gang of Six and work on their numbers.   Chicago's my all time favorite band.      
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Just for you, my good friend:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOaoPDO16Y

And I thank those who took the time to explain the meaning.
    One more question answered in life's long line...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : When the song was written, it could well have been about baseball ... or what ever else they were thinking about while they were trippin'. The question really is about whether "to do some more."   Acid, hash, weed, whatever ...  baseball, whatever ...  Think about it, isn't that always an issue for us when each of us log on and then even post ...   The artistic application of the numbers and reference to the song title are an invigorating change of pace.  How many of our threads are really useful anyway???  You are taking yourself and this board way too seriously, echo. BTW Harness, cool post.   I think maybe we need you to get into the Gang of Six and work on their numbers.   Chicago's my all time favorite band.      
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I preferred them before they got syrupy (cha-ching!); the brass section reminded me of BSW&T (except I thought they were better).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

This thread was started for propagandtastic reasons, as Harness continues to try and force Varitek down our throats. If Harness had his way, Salty would be sent packing and Varitek would catch 160 games a year, with Kevin Cash picking up the other two. Harness considers offensive production and mobility to be unimportant for a catcher. All catchers, excuse me, all baseball players can sit behind home plate and receive pitches from Josh Beckett. It takes a skilled player to hit at that position, and Ryan Lavarnway is that player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Just one. I'm quite diverse. I enjoy Glenn Miller, Gordon Lightfoot, or Steppenwolf. Jack Benny or George Carlin. Chaplin flics or MIDNIGHT COWBOY. I even enjoy UR posts, Pike, when they stick to the subject at hand .

One of my faves was the Great Dictator; although City Lights, Modern Times & The Gold Rush were highly regarded too; I also liked Buster Keaton in The General and Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Still, I have a personal hankering for The Treasure of The Sierra Madre & Hithcock's Rebecca and one of the most notorious butcher jobs and losses (cutting floor material were burned) in cinema history, Welles' Magnificient Ambersons (The Third Man & Touch of Evil too). Also great are Anatomy of a Murder, La Dolce Vita (Fellini), almost anything by Kurosawa (Rashomon, Ran) & Bergman (7th Seal), & Kubrick (especially the early The Killing; about horse racing, & Space Odyssey), the Hustler (I want my money!: George C. Scott), and Apocalypse Now (Was he a kind man, was he an honest man?: Dennis Hopper) , which the making of was a story in itself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]This thread was started for propagandtastic reasons, as Harness continues to try and force Varitek down our throats. If Harness had his way, Salty would be sent packing and Varitek would catch 160 games a year, with Kevin Cash picking up the other two. Harness considers offensive production and mobility to be unimportant for a catcher. All catchers, excuse me, all baseball players can sit behind home plate and receive pitches from Josh Beckett. It takes a skilled player to hit at that position, and Ryan Lavarnway is that player.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

And yet, Ray Schalk, a catcher that couldn't really hit about a century ago, is in the HOF for largely those reasons that Harness has expounded upon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]This thread was started for propagandtastic reasons, as Harness continues to try and force Varitek down our throats. If Harness had his way, Salty would be sent packing and Varitek would catch 160 games a year, with Kevin Cash picking up the other two. Harness considers offensive production and mobility to be unimportant for a catcher. All catchers, excuse me, all baseball players can sit behind home plate and receive pitches from Josh Beckett. It takes a skilled player to hit at that position, and Ryan Lavarnway is that player.

"propagandtastic" is not a word.

I like Salty. He seems quite coachable.
    Offensive production from a catcher is rare, and not worth compromising a pitching staff. You are blind to this.

Lavarnway is in AAA. He has minimal experience as a catcher.
    VMART is a polished Lavarnway...and he is primarily a DH.
    Gee, I wonder why.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : One of my faves was the Great Dictator ; although City Lights, Modern Times & The Gold Rush were highly regarded too; I also liked Buster Keaton in The General and Fritz Lang's Metropolis. Still, I have a personal hankering for The Treasure of The Sierra Madre& Hithcock's Rebecca and one of the most notorious butcher jobs and losses (cutting floor material were burned) in cinema history, Welles' Magnificient Ambersons (The Third Man & Touch of Evil too). Also great are  Anatomy of a Murder, La Dolce Vita (Fellini), almost anything by Kurosawa (Rashomon, Ran ) & Bergman (7th Seal) , & Kubrick (especially the early The   Killing ; about horse racing, & Space Odyssey ), the Hustler (I want my money!: George C. Scott), and Apocalypse Now (Was he a kind man, was he an honest man?: Dennis Hopper) , which the making of was a story in itself.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

"Badges? What badges?? I don't need no stinkin' badges!!!"

I want my money!!! - I was suing this deadbeat for non-payment many years back. On his message machine, I did my best George Scott imitation.

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : " Badges? What badges?? I don't need no stinkin' badges!!!" I want my money!!! - I was suing this deadbeat for non-payment many years back. On his message machine, I did my best George Scott imitation.                                   

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted this; a 12 yr old Robert Blake (Yet another celebrity that got away with murder) played a Mexican kid in the film; I also forgot to mention The Manchurian Candidate (The Original, with Laurence Harvey & Sinatra)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think Softy is a manchian plant.

J. Gleason did his own pool shots in THE HUSTLER.
    The sequel, decades later (COLOR OF MONEY) was terrific.
    Especially this scene - great number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrjSqK7xPLE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I think Softy is a manchian plant. J. Gleason did his own pool shots in THE HUSTLER. The sequel, decades later (COLOR OF MONEY) was terrific. Especially this scene - great number : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrjSqK7xPLE

Warren Zevon - great scene

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Newman deserved that Oscar. His performance left the viewer with an unsettling feeling. It did for me, anyway.
    His character was heavily flawed. A dream role.

I consider him one of the 10 greatest American actors. No question.
    His humanitarianism is unparalleled for actors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Agreed.

Of course I did a dbl-take and was thinking of Babe_Seinfeld_Newman on first instinct when I saw your post, LOL.

Was great in the Tennessee Williams based Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, as well as Exodus, The Hustler (see above), HUD (awesome film), Cool Hand Luke, The Redford films, The Verdict, Road To Perdition, and others

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Notice how Harness and his lackey change the subject, after I prove them wrong. Mods, lock this thread.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]So what your saying is Salty is terrible? And if Tek wisely retires this winter than the team is screwed?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Do you see anywhere that states Salty is terrible?
    I purposely said "with or without Tek".
    Salty is on a learning curve. He is the same age Tek was when Tek was in a catching tandem, before he became a FT receiver..

What I've been trying to get across to impenetrable skulls is what you alluded to earlier this year: That a poor catcher can hurt a pitching staff (while a good one can enhance it). This should never, ever be limited to a physical skill-set.

Blocking pitches and throwing out runners are M.L. prerequisites. Some are obviously better than others, but few will ever make the grade if they can't do the basics.

13 years running - year in and year out- the pitching staffs perform better with Tek. This is absolutely undeniable. It's cheaper to get one great catcher in this dept. than overspend on certain pitchers, as opposed to the opposite.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Notice how Harness and his lackey change the subject, after I prove them wrong. Mods, lock this thread.

You proved nothing. You never do. You poorly support your position on a constant basis. White-coats, lock up this ridiculous cyborg.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : Just for you, my good friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOaoPDO16Y And I thank those who took the time to explain the meaning. One more question answered in life's long line...

Thanks harness ...  It was better with Terry Kath and Peter Cetera but one's dead and the other left ... so.

I used to get hassled a bit because rock bands don't have horns"  ... I replied the not only have horns but flutes.  That used drive folks into fits of laughter and derision.  "Yeah, name one ...."  Jethro Tull

If they answered "He's just one guy..."  the conversation was over.