25 or 6 to 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

25 or 6 to 4

I never did understand the meaning of that song, but this is how it relates to baseball:

25 - represents the number of innings Tek has caught in his last two games.
    25 innings: 5 hits  0 runs.

Before that he caught Weiland in his memorable debut: When Gregg transformed Papi into a heavy-weight contender:)
    6 - run inning off the rookie. After he was tossed, the pen threw 5 no-hit innings.
    All told, in the last 30 frames Tek has caught, catching Weiland/Beckett/Miller/BP,
    no runs and 5 hits. Actually 32 straight scoreless innings. Keep in mind, we're not talking Lester/Josh/Buch here.

Before that, he caught Josh's 10-3 win. Beckett just came back off the knee issue, so he was a bit rusty. He only threw 5 IP. But the BP came in and threw
    4 - shutout innings allowing 1 hit!

Excluding the rookie's debut, that's 34 innings of 6 hit shutout ball.
    Over the last 45 innings Tek has caught, 43 of them have been scoreless!

This rivals the only other pitching run the team has had all year.
    We all recall the ugly April start. By mid-April, Tito replaced a shaky Salty by playing Tek. The staff "coincidently" took off. From April 16 on, they went on a tier. Tek caught on the 16th/18th/20th/21st/23rd. The staff allowed 7 runs (not just earned runs, but total runs) in those 5 games.

Despite the horrid month, the team was 6-5 in Tek's starts. Overall, the REDSOX are 28-12 (.700) when Tek starts. And 22-7 since April. [31-25 w/Salty (.553)]

Team ERA with Tek: 3.15
    Team ERA w/o Tek: 4.48
    Total: 3.80

Oh yeah, that's some "voo-doo".

Now, about that song...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: 25 or 6 to 4

In Response to 25 or 6 to 4:
    [QUOTE]I never did understand the meaning of that song, but this is how it relates to baseball: 25 - represents the number of innings Tek has caught in his last two games. 25 innings: 5 hits  0 runs. Before that he caught Weiland in his memorable debut: When Gregg transformed Papi into a heavy-weight contender:) 6 - run inning off the rookie. After he was tossed, the pen threw 5 no-hit innings. All told, in the last 30 frames Tek has caught, catching Weiland/Beckett/Miller/BP, no runs and 5 hits. Actually 32 straight scoreless innings. Keep in mind, we're not talking Lester/Josh/Buch here. Before that, he caught Josh's 10-3 win. Beckett just came back off the knee issue, so he was a bit rusty. He only threw 5 IP. But the BP came in and threw 4 - shutout innings allowing 1 hit! Excluding the rookie's debut, that's 34 innings of 6 hit shutout ball. Over the last 45 innings Tek has caught, 43 of them have been scoreless! This rivals the only other pitching run the team has had all year. We all recall the ugly April start. By mid-April, Tito replaced a shaky Salty by playing Tek. The staff "coincidently" took off. From April 16 on, they went on a tier. Tek caught on the 16th/18th/20th/21st/23rd. The staff allowed 7 runs (not just earned runs, but total runs) in those 5 games. Despite the horrid month, the team was 6-5 in Tek's starts. Overall, the REDSOX are 28-12 (.700) when Tek starts. And 22-7 since April. [31-25 w/Salty (.553)] Team ERA with Tek: 3.15 Team ERA w/o Tek: 4.48 Total: 3.80 Oh yeah, that's some "voo-doo". Now, about that song...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

To be fair, you should take Wake out of the equation for both him and Salty since Wake is unique with the knuckleball, which definitely has nothing to do wtih the catcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Showing your age, But Chicago will thank you. Momma and I saw them open for the Moody Blues at the Palace ( Many MOONS ago) before we moved to Michigan. I love Tek, but Salty ( Or that kid at Triple A) are our future. One day you and I will wake up and Tek will be Knitting young cathers in the system!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A reasonable point.  I commented today that maybe Tek was the guy who held Miller together. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tek's W-L record over the last 2 years is amazing, with the sample getting bigger, now at 46-21. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To be fair, Salty also doesn't catch Josh. Roy, this isn't necessarily to draw a comparison to the young receiver, who I think has vastly improved off a sharp learning curve.

I simply want to point out how Tek affects this entire pitching staff.
    You must admit, this recent run with him behind the plate is pretty impressive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

OK, who really knows the meaning of the song's title?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes Max, I saw that post.

Ya know, Promise, I was thinking last night about that song and what the hell it is supposed to mean.
    Do you have any ideas?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Don't know how much credit (or blame) a catcher deserves for the way a pitcher throws -- my incliniation is to put the matter nearly entirely on the pitcher, that is, I don't think the catcher makes a huge difference in any given outing, though there's certainly a factor in veteran catchers like Tek especially, comfort level and savvy and all that; still and all, it's really on the pitcher largely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4:
    [QUOTE]OK, who really knows the meaning of the title?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I've understood it to be about having writers block while trying to write a song.I forget who wrote it for Chicago,but,as he was sitting late one night/early morning engrossed in trying to come up with an idea for a song,he looked at the clock and it was about 25 or 6(26) minutes until 4:00 AM.25 or 6 to 4.Hence the title of the song.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]OK, who really knows the meaning of the song's title?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

The writer of the song says that it's a reference to the time of day. Staying up writing a song- 25 or (twenty) six to 4 a.m. ....3:34 or 3:35 a.m.   "Waiting for the break of day"...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 :  The writer of the song says that it's a reference to the time of day. Staying up writing a song- 25 or (twenty) six to 4 a.m. ....3:34 or 3:35 a.m.   "Waiting for the break of day"...
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]
    You got it!
    And I just notice Mojo did too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : I've understood it to be about having writers block while trying to write a song.I forget who wrote it for Chicago,but,as he was sitting late one night/early morning engrossed in trying to come up with an idea for a song,he looked at the clock and it was about 25 or 6(26) minutes until 4:00 AM.25 or 6 to 4.Hence the title of the song.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Nah.  It's about shooting up drugs and worshiping Satan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Kidding...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]To be fair, Salty also doesn't catch Josh. Roy , this isn't necessarily to draw a comparison to the young receiver, who I think has vastly improved off a sharp learning curve. I simply want to point out how Tek affects this entire pitching staff. You must admit, this recent run with him behind the plate is pretty impressive.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm not disputing that. I was just interested to see the comparison w/o Wake's stats just to see how Salty was handling is pitchers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Showing your age, But Chicago will thank you. Momma and I saw them open for the Moody Blues at the Palace ( Many MOONS ago) before we moved to Michigan. I love Tek, but Salty ( Or that kid at Triple A) are our future. One day you and I will wake up and Tek will be Knitting young cathers in the system!
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Chicago and the Moody Blue.

Must have been a heck of a concert. I saw the Moody Blues in the late '80s. Mike Pinder was long gone, but everyone else was still there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I think Tek has a large calming effect on young pitchers.  I remember Masterson getting into a jam in the playoffs, and he looked rather nervous.  Varitek went to the mound and talked to him, and Masterson proceeded to work his way out of the jam.

I wasn't too sure how Salty would work out this year, but I took great comfort in knowing that we had Tek as the backup.

I will be heartbroken when Tek is no longer one of our catchers.  I don't know if Lavarnway will be ready next year, but the thought of a Salty/Lavarnway tandem scares the heck out of me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 25 or 6 to 4 : I'm not disputing that. I was just interested to see the comparison w/o Wake's stats just to see how Salty was handling is pitchers.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Well, Wake has a starting ERA around 4.80 if memory serves.
    Salty catches the entire staff at 4.48.
    Lackey distorts the picture for both receivers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I thought that Harness was from the Cisco Kid and Hopalong Cassidy generation and not a worshipper of Chicago.  I thought that his heroes were Jack Benny and Bing Crosby and not the 1970s rockers. Is there more than one Harness?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Just one. I'm quite diverse. I enjoy Glenn Miller, Gordon Lightfoot, or Steppenwolf.
    Jack Benny or George Carlin.
    Chaplin flics or MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

I even enjoy UR posts, Pike, when they stick to the subject at hand.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I am 100% sure that when Chicago wrote the lyrics for this song that it had nothing whatsoever to do about baseball. Thus the OP is a crock. Another useless thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I am 100% sure that when Chicago wrote the lyrics for this song that it had nothing whatsoever to do about baseball. Thus the OP is a crock. Another useless thread.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Now this is a post I can live without. Nobody said the song had anything to do with baseball. Try and keep up. The OP is hardly a crock. Two solid pitching runs and Tek back-bones both of them. His affect on this staff is undeniable.
    Or do you think the fact that the team historically plays .600 ball with him starting over the last 13 years (as opposed to .508 w/o him) is a fluke?

I guess it's a crock that Beckett is now 68-29 with Tek - 11-14 otherwise - in a Boston uniform. Why is it that Lester throws shutout ball in over 60% of his starts with Tek over the last two years - and only a small fraction of that without him.

Are you actually capable of a baseball debate? I challenge you to one. Do you think you can stop trolling Ur cop act long enough???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I think Tek has a large calming effect on young pitchers.  I remember Masterson getting into a jam in the playoffs, and he looked rather nervous.  Varitek went to the mound and talked to him, and Masterson proceeded to work his way out of the jam. I wasn't too sure how Salty would work out this year, but I took great comfort in knowing that we had Tek as the backup. I will be heartbroken when Tek is no longer one of our catchers.  I don't know if Lavarnway will be ready next year, but the thought of a Salty/Lavarnway tandem scares the heck out of me.
    Posted byRedSoxKimmi

This is funny, but in a serious way. Here's betting Theo looks for a TEK clone soon after he retires...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Varitek's voodoo CERA is all becaue of Beckett and his resurgence, nothing more. Harness, even you could sit behind home plate for his starts and set yourself up for a Hall of Fame caliber CERA with Beckett throwing to you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Team with Tek catching with Josh Beckett: 28-12.
    Team with Tek catching without Josh Beckett: 20-9.
    Josh without Tek: 11-15 (incl playoffs).
    Josh with Tek: 72-29 (incl playoffs).

Lester w/Tek: 1.88 ERA - last year's exact number as this year.
    Lester w/o Tek: 3.69 ERA/ Same last year with VMART.

Buch with Tek: 3.38 ERA
    Buch w/o Tek: 3.52 ERA

Aceves with Tek: 3.26
    Aceves w/o Tek: 3.60

Miller with Tek: 2.39 ERA
    Miller w/o Tek: 5.95 ERA

Staff with Tek: 3.15 ERA
    Staff w/o Tek: 4.48 ERA

Two pitching runs with Tek.
    None without Tek.