2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox

Lets face it, the AL wildcard slot usually comes out of the east and it usually belongs to the Sox. If the Sox have to start playing a one game playoff to advance further into the playoffs, that's going to significantly hurt the Sox chances of advancing. Lots of things can happen in a one game playoff that can cause the better team to lose. Plus the Sox will likely be facing the ace of the other team for this one game playoff, even some weak small market clubs have shutdown aces on their staff. 

Point is a one game playoff isn't a fair way to determine the better team. Bud Selig is putting a second wildcard in place because of overwhelming interest by team owners but has he considered if it's something the fans want? 

Do you want a second wildcard slot? Do you think a one game playoff is fair? Maybe he would consider a three game playoff to better represent the better team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox

I like the 2nd wild card and I think it makes the playoffs more fair.  It brings back meaning to winning the division.

I'm not sure why you're so worried that the Sox will match up against the other teams ace, while not having their own ready for the game.  Also, it looked like the wild card was going to come out of the West this year with LAA and TEX.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is the Francona rule - put in place by the comish to stop high salaried talented teams to play for 2nd and coast until the playoffs come...good for Bud!

baseball isnt supposed to be hockey or basketball where mediocrity is rewarded

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

so you're already playing for the wildcard?  if the sox win the division, this wouldn't be a problem.  and also, with an extra wildcard, thats an advantage to the sox...or yankees, or whoever is close.  if there were two wildcards last year, the sox make the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A 2nd wild card is an advantage to the Sox , or any team. More of a chance to make the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Obviously revenues are attached to this as well, although I am not sure how that all works out.

The point of the 2nd WC is so the WC does not have the same advantages of a division winner. Two WC teams have at it for one game and in doing so, probably lose their ace for a possible 2 of 5 game stretch. Personally, I like only one WC team, but the WC team only should get one home game, not two. That is how I would do it.

Either way, no team has an advantage as we head into the 2012 season as I do not see a clear favorite in the AL in any division.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox:
    A 2nd wild card is an advantage to the Sox , or any team. 

It would not have been in TB's best interest to have a 2nd wild card last year.

More of a chance to make the playoffs.

Yes, going into a year, it is an advantage to all marginal teams.

Posted by dgalehouse

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Either way, no team has an advantage as we head into the 2012 season as I do not see a clear favorite in the AL in any division.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Except for the Tigers in the Central.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we need a pitcher because no way the sox starters pan out....not with fatty, grumpy and achy having to be relied on all year...

Something tells me Bard is going to be lit up like a pinata...Aceves maybe? He's better in the pen...

and dice to the rescue??? lol

Ben, get Floyd please now that you failed to land Oswalt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Poor us, we cannot just play for the Wild Card anymore (though Tito owned that philosophy) and we might have to compete with more teams that have decided to do battle with the big money teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

This format puts money over legitimate competition.  It cheapens the game.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox : how do you figure that I see it just the opposite the WC team that plays in the div series and has a chance to eliminate a div winner will be more legit/ worthy  IMO  
    Posted by pinstripezac

I agree that it doesn't cheapen it, in fact I think that it brings more integrity to the playoffs.  I don't think that a 1 game playoff means that a team is "more legit/ worthy" though.  I'm just happy that winning the division means something again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I like the idea overall - still would like to see about 25 games shaved off the regular season. First Saturday in October - 12PM - Game One of the WSC!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This whole two WC teams thing just about eliminates any chance of a WC team winning the Division Series.

Think about the pitching matchups if you will.  The two wild card teams have to throw their ace against each other, so the winner of that game has used up their ace and has to go to the #2 guy to face the ace of the team that won its division. In most cases a team that wins its divison has a REAL ace, so the first game will go to the division winner.

Then it becomes a #2 vs a #3, then a #3 vs a #4, and it doesn't seem to be a stretch to think that the divison champion's #2 is going to be significantly better than the WC team's #3, and so on.

I'm not even saying whether this is right or wrong - that's something for each of us to believe individually - but it sure does steepen the road for the winner of the WC game.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The second Wild Card appropriately places a higher premium on winning the division because no team wants to face a one-game playoff where anything could happen. Since 1994 the single Wild Card team was on equal footing with other postseason teams because each team opened with a five-game series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The second WC just added more interest to baseball.  You guys don't get it.  It doesn't matter who wins its a matter of getting more interest.  Now the regular season is more meaningful if you can slip in the playoffs and win a playoff game and get a chance to go to the world series.  Good plan Bud.  Keep up the good work.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Think about the pitching matchups if you will.  The two wild card teams have to throw their ace against each other, so the winner of that game has used up their ace and has to go to the #2 guy to face the ace of the team that won its division. In most cases a team that wins its divison has a REAL ace, so the first game will go to the division winner. Then it becomes a #2 vs a #3, then a #3 vs a #4, and it doesn't seem to be a stretch to think that the divison champion's #2 is going to be significantly better than the WC team's #3, and so on.
    Posted by S5

But you're assuming that the WC teams have a chance to line up their rotations for the playoffs, when they very well may be trying to win their divisions or fighting for the WC at the end of the season.  I guess it comes down to strategy.  Do you play to win the 1 game playoff, or do you try to set yourself up for the divisional round?  I don't think any team goes into the year with an ultimate goal of just making the playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox : but it sure does steepen the road for the winner of the WC it does , I think that what the original goal was , then $$ and I'm fine with that then again who knows maybe the wc team needed their ace the last gm of the season 2 win the wc and then maybe he  can open the DS
    Posted by pinstripezac

Very nice, beat me to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

zac and JB, my thought exactly.  Think about this.  In the recent system, a team could have to fight for their division while the WC team can coast and set up their rotation.  It could very well be that the WC team had an advantage.  Also, something not being talked about is that the team with the best record will play the WC team, regardless of division.  It means you could have a Yankees/Red Sox matchup in the divisonal round.  Again, it gives the team with the best record an advantage of having to play the WC team, who just had to play a play-in game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox :
    Posted by moonslav59

As things turned out , it would not have been an advantage to the Rays , but going into the season , I am sure they would have welcomed the idea. You can't take what happened after the fact , to make the point that it does not give every team a better shot of making the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: 2nd Wildcard spot really hurts the Sox : As things turned out , it would not have been an advantage to the Rays , but going into the season , I am sure they would have welcomed the idea. You can't take what happened after the fact , to make the point that it does not give every team a better shot of making the playoffs.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I agree and said as much. I'm glad it gives us an extra shot this year.

Sections
Shortcuts