3 back with 141 to go... piece of cake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 4 1/2 back with 148 to go... piece of cake

The Red Sox need to do better later this week when the Sox venture outside the to-date soft AL East. As I write, here are the cumulative records for each of the American League's divisions:

AL East 31-40 (.437)
    AL Central 40-36 (.526)
    AL West 33-28 (.541)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hill, wanna take any bets on which division will be the weakest by season's end?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: 4 1/2 back with 148 to go... piece of cake:
    [QUOTE]Hill , wanna take any bets on which division will be the weakest by season's end?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Harness, you know that I'm not a betting person, but what criteria will you use to determine the "weakest" division by season's end?

If I'm not mistaken, the AL West has posted a better cumulative regular-season record than the AL East in four of the past six seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You have a valid point. Criteria should be dependant on several factors beyond total win/loss. Factors like levelof competition faced in an unbalanced schedule, head-to-head, how teams in the central fared vs. both the East and the West, etc.

Of course, it must be remembered that there are fewer teams in the West.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: 4 1/2 back with 148 to go... piece of cake:
    [QUOTE]You have a valid point. Criteria should be dependant on several factors beyond total win/loss. Factors like level of competition faced in an unbalanced schedule, head-to-head, how teams in the central fared vs. both the East and the West, etc. Of course, it must be remembered that there are fewer teams in the West.
    I can guarantee you that AL East teams (and AL West teams) will compile a cumulative .500 record in games invoving intradivisional foes.

One test is how well the a divison's teams perform in games against teams outside the division. If a division's overall cumulative records is 10 games above .500, that means the division was 10 games above .500 against teams outside the division.

The AL East and the AL West each often finish with cumulative records above .500 but the AL East may finish more games above .500 simply because the divison has five teams to the AL West's four teams.

In a majority of years over the past decade, AL West teams had a winning record in head-to-head competition against AL East teams. Over the same span, AL East teams generally have outperformed AL West teams in the postseason, although AL West teams have won three of their last four postseason series against AL East teams (starting with the Angels' sweep of the Red Sox in 2009).

These numbers suggest that the AL East is a good, but overhyped, division.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: 5 back with 148 to go... piece of cake

The A.L. East will be even more competitive this year.
    When the west plays Boston/NY 18 times a year, perhaps they wouldn't be seen in the manner they are...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Only 1 game out of 29th place!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: 5 back with 148 to go... piece of cake:
    [QUOTE]The A.L. East will be even more competitive this year. When the west plays Boston/NY 18 times a year, perhaps they wouldn't be seen in the manner they are...
    If AL West teams played Boston and New York (and Tampa Bay, Toronto and Baltimore) 18 times a year, the collective AL West teams would likely continue their frequent winning records against those collective teams.

If the Red Sox and their AL East compatriots played 18 games a year against each of the AL West teams, would the AL East teams find a way to post a consistently winning record? I'm not convinced that they would.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Toronto was in the NL, then they would be a playoff team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]If Toronto was in the NL, then they would be a playoff team. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]
    The Toronto Blue Jays are 41-49 in interleague play over the past five seasons, including 7-11 in each of the last two seasons.

The National League has won three of the last five World Series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The A.L. East will be even more competitive this year. When the west plays Boston/NY 18 times a year, perhaps they wouldn't be seen in the manner they are...

I smell an upset; could another team be involved?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 back with 148 to go... piece of cake : If AL West teams played Boston and New York (and Tampa Bay, Toronto and Baltimore) 18 times a year, the collective AL West teams would likely continue their frequent winning records against those collective teams. If the Red Sox and their AL East compatriots played 18 games a year against each of the AL West teams, would the AL East teams find a way to post a consistently winning record? I'm not convinced that they would.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

In 2011, maybe; the last 20 yrs, no.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Re: 4 1/2 back with 147 to go... piece of cake

The train is rolling.  Great win today.  Time to make hay on the left coast.  I just passed my 5000th post.  Time to get a life maybe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

joel, you are a great Red Sox fan. Your are the kind of fan I would love to sit next to at Fenway Park, and that is the highest compliment I can give to any fan. Keep rooting them on!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Back at ya, David.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Bat lowrie leadoff and leave him there?

go with the hot hand and bat crawford 6 or 7th unit carl can get out of this funk which he will, leave jacoby 9th were he is and i know salty had a good day but viretek should atleast catch 3or 4 games a week he is stablizing the pitching staff, but guys this road trip is going to be tough , oakland angels, baltimore if we can go 5-4 i would take that and go home and clean up try to get to 500 by first week of may if possible. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Tough road trip coming up. Don't pencil them in as AL east champs just yet.

In Response to Re: 4 1/2 back with 147 to go... piece of cake:
    [QUOTE]The train is rolling.  Great win today.  Time to make hay on the left coast.  I just passed my 5000th post .  Time to get a life maybe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: 5 back with 150 to go... piece of cake

In Response to Re: 5 back with 150 to go... piece of cake:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 back with 150 to go... piece of cake : Of course, Joel but what have you seen so far that would tell you they are about to turn the corner with timely hitting and good pitching? Is it the team ERA of 8?  That 3 of 5 starters have no W's?  How many big hits have you seen? Help me out here.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew,

I'll try to help.  First of all, you cannot really beleive the ERA will stay that high.  If you do, there is no help for you.  If you think 3 starters will rmeain winless, that also indicates hopelssness in helping, because it is so clearly not a reality.

So as to make a point ... last three games, ERA is what?  Can we keep it at that for the remaining season?  Also, two more starters have won.

Your ship of dismal outlooks is sinking fast ....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]The train is rolling.  Great win today.  Time to make hay on the left coast.  I just passed my 5000th post .  Time to get a life maybe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Joel,

Red Sox = life.

:o)

Surely there is more to life, but the Sox do add that certain spice that makes it so much more enjoyable.

Red Sox and fishing.

Red Sox and reading and writing.  And the History channel.

Red Sox and wife and kids.

Red Sox and faith.  (Not Faith ... wife's name starts with a D....)

Red Sox and Martha's Vineyard (how close is that to the same?)

Red Sox and Celtics  (and Bruins and Pats....  and NY Giants)

....not necessarily in order of importance ....

Keep on being a positive fan, Joel!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]
    Last year the Red Sox were 4-5 against the Athletics, including 2-4 in Oakland. The Sox were 9-1 against the Angels, including 3-0 in Anaheim.

In 2009, the Red Sox were 5-5 against the Athletics, including 1-2 in Oakland. The Sox were 4-5 against the Angels, including 2-4 in Anaheim (I was present for one of the wins in Anaheim).

The pending nine-game road trip, which culminates with three games in Baltimore, could be a critical juncture of the Red Sox season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 4 1/2 back with 147 to go... piece of cake : Last year the Red Sox were 4-5 against the Athletics, including 2-4 in Oakland. The Sox were 9-1 against the Angels, including 3-0 in Anaheim. In 2009, the Red Sox were 5-5 against the Athletics, including 1-2 in Oakland. The Sox were 4-5 against the Angels, including 2-4 in Anaheim (I was present for one of the wins in Anaheim). The pending nine-game road trip, which culminates with three games in Baltimore, could be a critical juncture of the Red Sox season.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

It matters, but there are no critical junctures in April. If they are under .500 at the beginning of June, then we'll start worrying.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 4 1/2 back with 147 to go... piece of cake : Joel, Red Sox = life. :o) Surely there is more to life, but the Sox do add that certain spice that makes it so much more enjoyable. Red Sox and fishing. Red Sox and reading and writing.  And the History channel. Red Sox and wife and kids. Red Sox and faith.  (Not Faith ... wife's name starts with a D....) Red Sox and Martha's Vineyard (how close is that to the same?) Red Sox and Celtics  (and Bruins and Pats....  and NY Giants)    ....not necessarily in order of importance .... Keep on being a positive fan, Joel!
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
    I love that post, Yaz!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hill, I have to question ur baseball knowledge if you think April is the critical time of the year.

No, I don't think playing 6 games a year against a team offers any window
    to playing 18-19.

The O's lost 96 games last year, but swept the Angels 6-0. Does it mean they'd have gone 18-0?

The O's have been cellar-dwellers for well over a decade, yet play Seattle .500 over most of that time.

One series home/away means little in the realm of things.

Let's cut to the chase - once and for all: Here's why baseball fans think little of the Western teams:

T R A D I T I O N

ANGELS:                3977 WINS - 4008 LOSES
    Rangers:                3017 wins  - 3179  losses
    Seattle Mariners:   2527 WINS - 2872 LOSSES
    OAKLAND A'S:       3563 WINS - 3288 LOSSES
    { numbers reflect A's since moving to Oakland. Seattle Pilots not included}
    TOTAL: 13084 WINS - 13347 LOSSES  (.495)  8 PENNANTS  5 WS

NOW LOOK AT THE EASTERN TEAMS:

O'S:                       4623 WINS - 4413 LOSSES
    RAYS:                     928 WINS - 1190  LOSSES
    BOSTON:                8295 WINS - 7751 LOSSES
    TORONTO
    :             2681 WINS - 2717 LOSSES
    NY:                        8827 WINS - 6454 LOSSES

TOTAL:  25354 WINS - 22525 LOSSES (.530)  59 PENNANTS  39 WS

When you look at the ratio of pennants/WS won compared to total games played, the West is still in it's infancy.

Tell me, out of curiosity, how does the West compare to the East in inter-league play historically?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Hill , I have to question ur baseball knowledge if you think April is the critical time of the year. No, I don't think playing 6 games a year against a team offers any window to playing 18-19. The O's lost 96 games last year, but swept the Angels 6-0. Does it mean they'd have gone 18-0? The O's have been cellar-dwellers for well over a decade, yet play Seattle .500 over most of that time. One series home/away means little in the realm of things. Let's cut to the chase - once and for all : Here's why baseball fans think little of the Western teams: T R A D I T I O N ANGELS:                3977 WINS - 4008 LOSES Rangers:                3017 wins  - 3179  losses Seattle Mariners:   2527 WINS - 2872 LOSSES OAKLAND A'S:       3563 WINS - 3288 LOSSES { numbers reflect A's since moving to Oakland. Seattle Pilots not included} TOTAL: 13084 WINS - 13347 LOSSES  (.495)  8 PENNANTS  5 WS NOW LOOK AT THE EASTERN TEAMS: O'S:                       4623 WINS - 4413 LOSSES RAYS:                     928 WINS - 1190  LOSSES BOSTON:                8295 WINS - 7751 LOSSES TORONTO :             2681 WINS - 2717 LOSSES NY:                        8827 WINS - 6454 LOSSES TOTAL:  25354 WINS - 22525 LOSSES (.530)  59 PENNANTS  39 WS When you look at the ratio of pennants/WS won compared to total games played, the West is still in it's infancy . Tell me, out of curiosity, how does the West compare to the East in inter-league play historically?
    Posted by harness

Thanks for the history lesson.Laughing

Please double-check my math, but over the past five seasons I have AL East teams with a 249-201 record (.553) in interleague play and AL West teams with a 200-160 record (.555) in interleague play. The Red Sox lead the way with a 63-27 record (.700) over that span.

Over the past 12 seasons, the Seattle Mariners have a modest 60-53 record (.531) against the Baltimore Orioles despite five last-place finishes (and three second-to-last-place finishes).