3 Days to Pull off a Miracle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

3 Days to Pull off a Miracle

So I was thinking long and hard about this, and I think the Red Sox if they started working on it right now they could land Felix Hernandez by 4 P.M. Afternoon. Now, before I get blasted with people saying "He's not available, move on.", or "He would cost way to much and would morgage out Future." I think I have come up with a plan that I think would work, and would also not jepordize our future, and wouldn't really effect us too much in the short term. Here is my idea...

We trade Cody Ross, to either the Rangers  or an NL team such as the Nationals, Dodgers or possibly Giants, for a package that would  involve 1 B Level prospect under the age of 23, and 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25. We could cover the million dollars left on his salary and teams would only just be getting Cody Ross.

Then we trade Kelly Shoppage to a team such as the NY Mets for either 1 B prospect under the age of 24, or 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25.

The we trade a couple bullpen pieces such as Vincente Pidilla and maybe Andrew Miller for 2 or 3 C Level prospects.

Then to Seattle we send them the following for Felix Hernandez:

Choose one: either Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini
    Than: Brandon Jacobs and Lars Anderson +
    2 more B prospects we recieved from the Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage trades and 3 more C Level prospects.

Out of our Farm System we would trade: 1 of our top 10's out of Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini possibly Ryan Lavarnway.
    Then also a 2nd Tier prospect such as Lars Anderson and Brandon Jacobs (who is considered a top 10 in our farm system also.)
    and than still 2 more B prospects and 3 C Level Prospects or 2 C Level Prospects and a PTBNL or cash.

We would lose Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage also but I think they can be replaced easily by Ryan Kalish/Daniel Nava/Ryan Lavarnway.

The trade would end up being a 8 or 9 player swap with 8 or 9 players going to Seattle but only 3 or 4 coming from the Red Sox farm system, and all of them being very replacable because they are either blocked or we have better prospects at the same position. I didn't add any pitchers into the deal because Seattle needs hitting prospects more then they need pitching.

This is obviously just a basic layout of how a trade would go down, maybe instead of one of my top 10s I chose Seattle asks for a Matt Barnes, or a Xander Boegarts, or a Jackie Bradley. That's possible but with the ammount of B Level prospects they are recieving and the 3 C Level prospects I think the Mariners would definetely do it, because the time to pull off a Felix Hernandez trade is NOW.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: 3 Days to Pull off a Miracle

In Response to 3 Days to Pull off a Miracle:
    [QUOTE]So I was thinking long and hard about this, and I think the Red Sox if they started working on it right now they could land Felix Hernandez by 4 P.M. Afternoon. Now, before I get blasted with people saying "He's not available, move on.", or "He would cost way to much and would morgage out Future." I think I have come up with a plan that I think would work, and would also not jepordize our future, and wouldn't really effect us too much in the short term. Here is my idea... We trade Cody Ross, to either the Rangers  or an NL team such as the Nationals, Dodgers or possibly Giants, for a package that would  involve 1 B Level prospect under the age of 23, and 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25. We could cover the million dollars left on his salary and teams would only just be getting Cody Ross. Then we trade Kelly Shoppage to a team such as the NY Mets for either 1 B prospect under the age of 24, or 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25. The we trade a couple bullpen pieces such as Vincente Pidilla and maybe Andrew Miller for 2 or 3 C Level prospects. Then to Seattle we send them the following for Felix Hernandez: Choose one: either Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini Than: Brandon Jacobs and Lars Anderson + 2 more B prospects we recieved from the Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage trades and 3 more C Level prospects. Out of our Farm System we would trade: 1 of our top 10's out of Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini possibly Ryan Lavarnway. Then also a 2nd Tier prospect such as Lars Anderson and Brandon Jacobs (who is considered a top 10 in our farm system also.) and than still 2 more B prospects and 3 C Level Prospects or 2 C Level Prospects and a PTBNL or cash. We would lose Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage also but I think they can be replaced easily by Ryan Kalish/Daniel Nava/Ryan Lavarnway. The trade would end up being a 8 or 9 player swap with 8 or 9 players going to Seattle but only 3 or 4 coming from the Red Sox farm system, and all of them being very replacable because they are either blocked or we have better prospects at the same position. I didn't add any pitchers into the deal because Seattle needs hitting prospects more then they need pitching. This is obviously just a basic layout of how a trade would go down, maybe instead of one of my top 10s I chose Seattle asks for a Matt Barnes, or a Xander Boegarts, or a Jackie Bradley. That's possible but with the ammount of B Level prospects they are recieving and the 3 C Level prospects I think the Mariners would definetely do it, because the time to pull off a Felix Hernandez trade is NOW.
    Posted by JohnnyLefty[/QUOTE]
    In the unlikely event Seattle makes Felix Hernandez available, wouldn't the Mariners be able to land at least one Top 50 prospect? Or three?

I suspect the Mariners would seek quality, not quantity. The Seattle GM would lose his job if he trades Hernandez for a pile of mid-level prospects.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]So I was thinking long and hard about this, and I think the Red Sox if they started working on it right now they could land Felix Hernandez by 4 P.M. Afternoon. Now, before I get blasted with people saying "He's not available, move on.", or "He would cost way to much and would morgage out Future." I think I have come up with a plan that I think would work, and would also not jepordize our future, and wouldn't really effect us too much in the short term. Here is my idea... We trade Cody Ross, to either the Rangers  or an NL team such as the Nationals, Dodgers or possibly Giants, for a package that would  involve 1 B Level prospect under the age of 23, and 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25. We could cover the million dollars left on his salary and teams would only just be getting Cody Ross. Then we trade Kelly Shoppage to a team such as the NY Mets for either 1 B prospect under the age of 24, or 2 C Level prospects under the age of 25. The we trade a couple bullpen pieces such as Vincente Pidilla and maybe Andrew Miller for 2 or 3 C Level prospects. Then to Seattle we send them the following for Felix Hernandez: Choose one: either Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini Than: Brandon Jacobs and Lars Anderson + 2 more B prospects we recieved from the Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage trades and 3 more C Level prospects. Out of our Farm System we would trade: 1 of our top 10's out of Jose Iglesias, Blake Swihart, or Garin Cecchini possibly Ryan Lavarnway. Then also a 2nd Tier prospect such as Lars Anderson and Brandon Jacobs (who is considered a top 10 in our farm system also.) and than still 2 more B prospects and 3 C Level Prospects or 2 C Level Prospects and a PTBNL or cash. We would lose Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppage also but I think they can be replaced easily by Ryan Kalish/Daniel Nava/Ryan Lavarnway. The trade would end up being a 8 or 9 player swap with 8 or 9 players going to Seattle but only 3 or 4 coming from the Red Sox farm system, and all of them being very replacable because they are either blocked or we have better prospects at the same position. I didn't add any pitchers into the deal because Seattle needs hitting prospects more then they need pitching. This is obviously just a basic layout of how a trade would go down, maybe instead of one of my top 10s I chose Seattle asks for a Matt Barnes, or a Xander Boegarts, or a Jackie Bradley. That's possible but with the ammount of B Level prospects they are recieving and the 3 C Level prospects I think the Mariners would definetely do it, because the time to pull off a Felix Hernandez trade is NOW.
    Posted by JohnnyLefty[/QUOTE]This is probably the most realistic package I've heard for Hernandez. Although I think it would all three of your first group and the Ms would definitely want Barnes, Bradley or Bogaerts too; or maybe all of them. And Lavarnaway, and Maybe Ellsbury as well. That being said, I'd do it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Until somebody can tell me how Hernandez reversed 1.5 years of velocity decline overnight, I'd stay as far away from him as possible.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We can do this and not be giving up on this year:

1) Get under the luxury limt tax line this year to set ourselves up for future expenditures.

Trade almost all non-essential player that will be a FA this winter or the following winter:

(Eat some salary to save even just a little bit on some of these guys)

Dice-K $3M+
    Cook    $500K
    Padilla $500K
    Shopp  $450K
    Pods    $250K

Sweeney $600K + last arb year after 2013.
    Punto       $500K + last arb year after 2013.
    Albers      $350K + last arb year after 2013.
    R Hill         $250K + last arb year after 2013.

Maybe even Andrew Miller and Atchison who have 2+ years of team control.

We could get some decent prospects out of some of these guys, and we'd be lucky to get a bag of used balls for others. Never the less, let's cut some salary, get some prospects, and create 40-man roster room for future pick-ups.

Consider trading Ross, Salty and Lester if we can get decent return (maybe via a 3rd team) that can help us not only this year, but beyond as well at no added cost that would put us over the cap.

Go for 2013 and beyond?
    Trade Ellsbury and Papi now, but don't give them away just for the sake of dumping them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: 3 Days to Pull off a Miracle:
    [QUOTE]We can do this and not be giving up on this year: 1) Get under the luxury limt tax line this year to set ourselves up for future expenditures. Trade almost all non-essential player that will be a FA this winter or the following winter: (Eat some salary to save even just a little bit on some of these guys) Dice-K $3M+ Cook    $500K Padilla $500K Shopp  $450K Pods    $250K Sweeney $600K + last arb year after 2013. Punto       $500K + last arb year after 2013. Albers      $350K + last arb year after 2013. R Hill         $250K + last arb year after 2013. Maybe even Andrew Miller and Atchison who have 2+ years of team control. We could get some decent prospects out of some of these guys, and we'd be lucky to get a bag of used balls for others. Never the less, let's cut some salary, get some prospects, and create 40-man roster room for future pick-ups. Consider trading Ross, Salty and Lester if we can get decent return (maybe via a 3rd team) that can help us not only this year, but beyond as well at no added cost that would put us over the cap. Go for 2013 and beyond? Trade Ellsbury and Papi now, but don't give them away just for the sake of dumping them.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I wouldn't trade Big Papi, and I think trading Lester right now might be a questionable move, but I do think you're on the right track.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

I say we trade everybody then just hand pick the best players at every position and then we could go 162-0 and win the world series every year !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by JohnnyLefty[/QUOTE]

Make a big trade and  bi tch and moan ,,,, after...........grow up get a life and move on

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 3 Days to Pull off a Miracle : Make a big trade and  bi tch and moan ,,,, after...........grow up get a life and move on
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    I appreciate the effort that went into the trade proposal, but the proposal is not realistic.

No need to belittle the OP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 3 Days to Pull off a Miracle : I wouldn't trade Big Papi, and I think trading Lester right now might be a questionable move, but I do think you're on the right track.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I mentioned Papi, Ross and Ellsbury as after thoughts if we decide to pack it in for 2012. I am not for this plan either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I don't think Hernandez is going anywhere this year, and probably not next year either.  The M's want to see what they have, and Hernadez is still signed for 2.5 more years.  If they do trade him, it will be for offense. 

As for who to trade on the Sox, I would consider Ellsbury only if the Sox do not plan on resigning him.  If they want to, they can.  They know what it will cost (Crawford money).  If they are not going to sign him, they have to trade him either now or during the off season.  Teams will not get a pick for losing him if they trade for him during the season next year due to the new CBA agreement 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Spare parts and C level prospects? Seriously?  If you want Hernandez, you cannot get him with a package you find acceptable.

If you don't mind giving it up, it isn't enough.  And in this case, it isn't even close...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The Yanks tried to get King Felix and offered far more in prospect value than the Sox even have but the best they could manage was Pineda.  It would be hard to imagine the Mariners taking very little for the King but stranger things have happened.  Go Sox!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Kalish and Nava do not easily replace Cody Ross. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Kalish and Nava do not easily replace Cody Ross. 
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]Linares might though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Mariner's today have no interest in trading Hernandez...however if Montero, Ackley & Smoak all crash and burn they may have no choice. As we sit here today the Mariners with the trade of Ichiro have now entered the official rebuild mode. The jury is still out on Montero, Smoak and Ackley all three are key players that the Mariners were hoping would represent the nucleaus they could build the lineup around...They have a few other "kids" like 3B Kyle Seager that has done well, along with CFer Michael Saunder's who's showing some pop...However they're in for a rough go if Ackley, Smoak & Montero all fall short of expectations...Given that thier best pitching prospects are still a couple of years away and that the aforementioned trio still needs time to develop at some point Hernandez's value to the team will be mitigated by the need to bolster the ML roster with "proven" talant.

In the end the Mariner's don't have to trade Felix, but they might have to! It's going to be at least 3 years before this team is relevent agian and that's assuming that at leats two of the three above realize thier potential and become impact bats and the pitchers they have in AA all reach the bigs and pitch to thier potential too...Jack's got a lot of work ahead of him...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]I say we trade everybody then just hand pick the best players at every position and then we could go 162-0 and win the world series every year !!!!
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]The Mariner's today have no interest in trading Hernandez...however if Montero, Ackley & Smoak all crash and burn they may have no choice. As we sit here today the Mariners with the trade of Ichiro have now entered the official rebuild mode. The jury is still out on Montero, Smoak and Ackley all three are key players that the Mariners were hoping would represent the nucleaus they could build the lineup around...They have a few other "kids" like 3B Kyle Seager that has done well, along with CFer Michael Saunder's who's showing some pop...However they're in for a rough go if Ackley, Smoak & Montero all fall short of expectations...Given that thier best pitching prospects are still a couple of years away and that the aforementioned trio still needs time to develop at some point Hernandez's value to the team will be mitigated by the need to bolster the ML roster with "proven" talant. In the end the Mariner's don't have to trade Felix, but they might have to! It's going to be at least 3 years before this team is relevent agian and that's assuming that at leats two of the three above realize thier potential and become impact bats and the pitchers they have in AA all reach the bigs and pitch to thier potential too...Jack's got a lot of work ahead of him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Place baseball's top hitting prospects* -- Jesus Montero, Justin Smoak, Dustin Ackley and Michael Saunders -- at Safeco Field and they struggle. Away from Safeco Field the young Seattle hitters are starting to produce as the Mariners this season lead the majors in runs scored on the road.

Entering Monday's games the Mariners had a Pythagorean record of 51-53 playing in a tough four-team division that would send three clubs to the postseason if the season ended today.

Seattle might not be far from contending as the Mariners await the arrivals of elite prospects Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, James Paxton and Mike Zunino in 2013 and 2014. Now is not the time to trade away Felix Hernandez for prospects who would likely struggle at Safeco Field and in the American League West.

* Baseball America's midseason prospect lists ranked Smoak No. 4 in 2009, Ackley No. 7 in 2010, Saunders No. 25 in 2009 and Montero No. 3 in 2009, No. 4 in 2010 and No. 6 in 2011.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Years ago, the Sox offered the sun and moon for Felix. I doubt they will top that offer now.

Seattle would insist on at least 2 of these 3 big prospects:

Bradley, Barnes or Bogaerts.

Then, they'd want at least 2-3 of these guys:

Kalish, Lavarnway, Iglesias, Ranaudo, Cecchini, Brentz, or Swihart.

Maybe Sweeney, Nava, Aviles, Ciriaco, Melancon, Mortensen, or Gomez might be higher rated by the Mariners and fill a need that lessens the demand for a prospect, but it will take at least 4-5 of these guys to even get the Mariners to listen to an offer.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts