3 of 4 a Must!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

3 of 4 a Must!

Time to pull out the stops and get Ells and Papi in the line-up tonight. This series with Texas is huge, considering NY has the A's at home for 3.
    Youk may never come back, and Lavarnway is not the answer. Trying to insert this kid in a pressure cooker and expect him to perform is expecting too much.
    Besides, why do we need 3 catchers? Better to have another 1B or OF, preferably a veteran to help us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Re: 3 of 4 a Must!

Alibi Gripe rides again. Hi Yo Silver. Who was that masked man?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to 3 of 4 a Must!:
    [QUOTE]Time to pull out the stops and get Ells and Papi in the line-up tonight. This series with Texas is huge, considering NY has the A's at home for 3. Youk may never come back, and Lavarnway is not the answer. Trying to insert this kid in a pressure cooker and expect him to perform is expecting too much. Besides, why do we need 3 catchers? Better to have another 1B or OF, preferably a veteran to help us.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Didn't they sort of insert Ellsbury in a pressure cooker in 2007, and didn't he sort of do pretty good?  Some of these 'kids' are more up to the challenge than you might think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

2 and 2 will be adequate. Beating or splitting with @ Rangers is doable, but will be a bigger than normal challenge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

3 of 4 a must?  Nah.  It would be great.  I would feel real good.  not just to keep the AL East race tight, but to beat the defending pennant winners on their home field.  Awesome.  But, I will be perfectly happy with a split.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't see how this is a make or break series in any form for Boston. A worst case scenario is being swept by Texas and the Yanks sweep the A's and the Sox are still only 4 out. And in the third week of August, that is no big deal, especially since IMO, the WC will be Boston or NY anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 3 of 4 a Must!:
    [QUOTE]I don't see how this is a make or break series in any form for Boston. A worst case scenario is being swept by Texas and the Yanks sweep the A's and the Sox are still only 4 out. And in the third week of August, that is no big deal, especially since IMO, the WC will be Boston or NY anyway.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

It's not really make or break, but this series does loom large because Texas has been kicking our a$$es recently, 16 of the last 22 I think, and if we do end up as WC we'll likely be playing them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Time to pull out the stops and get Ells and Papi in the line-up tonight. This series with Texas is huge, considering NY has the A's at home for 3. Youk may never come back, and Lavarnway is not the answer. Trying to insert this kid in a pressure cooker and expect him to perform is expecting too much. Besides, why do we need 3 catchers? Better to have another 1B or OF, preferably a veteran to help us.

Silly OP.  The Rangers are starting a lefty tonight, so I expect Ortiz and Ellsbury, both still recovering, to give way to Lavarnway and McDonald/Reddick.  This makes sense.

I'll be fine with 2-2 and would love 3-1.

Leo Derocher was/is hardly an authority.  He won  the one WS with Willie Mays and a very hot Dusty Rhodes, but managed 154 game seasons when rainouts were far more likely.  Back then most weeks teams took a day off.  This year the Sox have already played 20 straight without a day off. 

When you post, you need a ton of alibis to recover from your imperceptiveness.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

For this to happen you'll need the following: solid outings from each starter ( well at least under 5 runs for Lackey); Gonzo and Pedey have a very good series; a good surprise from another hitter each day; decent defense ( see Lowrie) and no brainfarts in managing the pen by Coma. I predicted they'd go 1-3; I'm hoping for a lot better as they did show signs of life vs. KC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]For this to happen you'll need the following: solid outings from each starter ( well at least under 5 runs for Lackey); Gonzo and Pedey have a very good series; a good surprise from another hitter each day; decent defense ( see Lowrie) and no brainfarts in managing the pen by Coma. I predicted they'd go 1-3; I'm hoping for a lot better as they did show signs of life vs. KC.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Brainfart being defined quite simply as any run given up by a reliever or when a reliever allows inherited runners to score.  Your very simple mind appears to believe that all runs give up by the bullpen or the starter are avoidable if only the manager will make the right moves.  You apply this belief to Terry Francona and to no other MLB manager. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] AND  BILL-806  SANCTIONS THIS POST !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Oh Maxy, you card.  I do apply this to all managers.  Coma has a lot of strengths as a manager, but I don't think managing the pen is his strong suit.  There are too many times I just plain disagree with moves he's made. It's ok to disagree with him isn't it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

HFX - from that standpoint, I can see it. Just like I would like to see NY win a series against Boston sometime in the near future. But I don't think either teams playoff lives depend on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Oh Maxy, you card.  I do apply this to all managers.  Coma has a lot of strengths as a manager, but I don't think managing the pen is his strong suit.  There are too many times I just plain disagree with moves he's made. It's ok to disagree with him isn't it?
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Hey frank,
    Not only is it ok to disagree with him but it's a birthright bestowed on every baseball fan to second guess his teams manager and boo the umpires!

When it comes to managing the bullpen...I don't have too many issues with Francona, we always have the knowledge of hindsight, he has to make decsions in the now and sometimes the players fail to make him look like a genius.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]HFX - from that standpoint, I can see it. Just like I would like to see NY win a series against Boston sometime in the near future. But I don't think either teams playoff lives depend on it.

My take is that if both squads were at 100% than the series would have a far greater meaning in terms of both sides measuring up the other...

As it is, it's still a pretty big series for both teams, if the Sox can take two of the four I'd be thrilled...simply avoiding a sweep would even be ok in the big picture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I do think this could be a very key series, like all down the stretch.  The Yankees are playing great, so we need to play well against Texas so we don't fall further behind.  That may be easier said than done with out current lineup and the fact both Wake and Lackey may be pitching in this series.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 3 of 4 a Must! : I do think this could be a very key series, like all down the stretch.  The Yankees are playing great, so we need to play well against Texas so we don't fall further behind.  That may be easier said than done with out current lineup and the fact both Wake and Lackey may be pitching in this series.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Why?  I'll give you Wake, but Lackey has been pretty solid now for a good while.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 3 of 4 a Must! : Why?  I'll give you Wake, but Lackey has been pretty solid now for a good while.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Lackey still normally gives up 4 runs or more spaceman.  Our lineup can, but will they score that many runs against Texas pitching without two or three of our top players?  Also, can Lackey contain the Texas lineup?  It should be the perfect test to see exactly where Lackey against a possible playoff opponent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

It is fine to disagree with Francona but it is sad that so many posters make it their hobby, preoccupation, and identity on this forum. Some have even blamed the housing crisis, high unemployment, and the down Stock Market on the poor guy. It is rumored that one of our regulars from Springfield, Mass. has a picture of "Coma" taped to the dartboard in his recreation room and has a mannekin of "Coma's" likeness that he trains his Doberman to sic on command.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 3 of 4 a Must! : Lackey still normally gives up 4 runs or more spaceman.  Our lineup can, but will they score that many runs against Texas pitching without two or three of our top players?  Also, can Lackey contain the Texas lineup?  It should be the perfect test to see exactly where Lackey against a possible playoff opponent.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'm less concerned about this series than I am with the team starting to get hot again.  They've got a tough schedule to finish the season, with 20 games against the Yanks, Tampa, and Texas.  They have 6 games left against the Yanks, so as long as they stay close, they have a chance to catch them.

The Yankees have 12 games against the Sox and Tampa, and are done with Texas.  They have a long road trip to the west Coast, but unfortunately the race for the AL West division is over and the Angels will be trotting out a AAA team against them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's unlikely that the Sox will take 3 of 4 in Texas.  They're missing Papi, Youk, and Ellsbury.  They'll be lucky to split this series. 

Yanks are off today.  It'd be nice to see the Sox take the opener in Arlington. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

I guess reading the sports papers is to much for your brain to handle.Lavarnway was brought up to take the place of the DH spot not to be a catcher.,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see how this is a make or break series in any form for Boston. A worst case scenario is being swept by Texas and the Yanks sweep the A's and the Sox are still only 4 out. And in the third week of August, that is no big deal, especially since IMO, the WC will be Boston or NY anyway.

I have to laugh, seriously, the voice of reason for the Red Sox from a respected Yankee's fan! Go figure, im often shocked and dismayed by Sox fans. And heck i am one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

If you rushed any of them into the lineup and their injury got worse then that would give Alibi Ike an alibi to tell us that they were rushed back too soon.  Too many alibis.

Sections
Shortcuts