3 off days this month- Aug 12/ Aug 22/ Aug 26....why start a AAA pitcher vs. Houston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

3 off days this month- Aug 12/ Aug 22/ Aug 26....why start a AAA pitcher vs. Houston?

So, Farrell wants to give his starters an extra day rest , brings up a joker from AAA and nearly blows another game vs. weakest team in majors. The Red Sox have 3 off days coming up this month, what kind of thinking prompted this bonehead move? I mean , seriously, we've got Super Peavy now...aren't we supposed to be all set rotation wise?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: 3 off days this month- Aug 12/ Aug 22/ Aug 26....why start a AAA pitcher vs. Houston?

the parade on no name useless pitchers to start every fifth game is tiresome...then again if Clay would stop menstruating maybe he could take to the mound and end this nonsense

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: 3 off days this month- Aug 12/ Aug 22/ Aug 26....why start a AAA pitcher vs. Houston?

Would not Workman have been a better choice than a Wakefield wannabee?

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

So, Farrell wants to give his starters an extra day rest , brings up a joker from AAA and nearly blows another game vs. weakest team in majors. The Red Sox have 3 off days coming up this month, what kind of thinking promped this bonehead move? I mean , seriously we've gor Super Peavy now...aren't we supposed to be all set rotation wise?

They've also got 17 straight playing days, before a day off.

They're are only half-way through that stretch.

Oh, I forgot.

They get paid millions, so they should be immune to getting worn out....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yeah, I'm totally pissed off about last night's loss!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

They want to give the rotation rest and they have confidence in their minor league depth this year.  yes it didn't work out last night but overall it has paid HUGE dividends.  In the end the strategy failed last night but has led to overall success this year.

afterall it was two other younger arms that came in and shut the door (RDLR, Britton) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

Didn't workman come in? gave up twice as many runs as Wright....and how many times did wakefield (or any pitcher for this matter) have a bad first inning and come out and be lights out?  Lou Merloni said it best today; if Wakefield had been pitching everyone would blame Lavarnway.   The guy did have 4 passed balls....couldn't catch anything, that throws a pitchers confidence off.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

No he wouldn't have, the only reason he was up last night was becuase Nava is dealing with some personal issues. Without navas unexpected absence last night how would they have been able to plan for a start on Wednesday when he can't be brought back to the major league roster until saturday?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

They want to give the rotation rest and they have confidence in their minor league depth this year.  yes it didn't work out last night but overall it has paid HUGE dividends.  In the end the strategy failed last night but has led to overall success this year.

afterall it was two other younger arms that came in and shut the door (RDLR, Britton) 

and  against  teams they believe they can afford to start a minor league pitcher. I think it's a good stragedy, that will pay off, in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Didn't workman come in? gave up twice as many runs as Wright....and how many times did wakefield (or any pitcher for this matter) have a bad first inning and come out and be lights out?  Lou Merloni said it best today; if Wakefield had been pitching everyone would blame Lavarnway.   The guy did have 4 passed balls....couldn't catch anything, that throws a pitchers confidence off.  

Nobody would have caught that junk. There's a reason why Stephen Wright is 28(?) will minimal experience.

And the reason why a AAA started? The Red Sox are hoping the extra day of rest helps Dempster and Lester.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Nobody would have caught that junk. There's a reason why Stephen Wright is 28(?) will minimal experience.

And the reason why a AAA started? The Red Sox are hoping the extra day of rest helps Dempster and Lester.

Did you even watch the game? The knucle ball wasn't moving all that much last night, one of those . One of those past balls was almost in the center of the plate. Nesns broadcast blamed if on wright. On weeis broadcast they said that the wild pitch probably should have been a past ball as well, and the lavarnway is lucky he isn't the record holder today. Wright wasn't good last night but Niether was lavarnway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The kid Pitching tonight for Houston 2 hit the Rays, had a no-hitter for 7 innings. We'll see, cant take any MLB team lightly. He beat Price 2-1, he didn't give up any runs in 8 innings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was at the game last night. The problem was not Wright: it was Lava.

Is Mirabelli still around?

One burning question I had last night:  why did we start Salty vs the lefty Monday and Lava vs the righty last night, especially when Salty has a lot of experience catching a knuckleballer?

They went 1 for 8 with a BB combined.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He had to catch him a bunch of times in Pawtucket, last night he forgot how? He caught him Seattle in that comeback.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good OP.  I am almost slavish in my support of Farrell, who by and large for me can do no wrong. 

But I just don't understand starting Wright when Workman was available.  moonslav says the biggest fault was with Lavarnway.  Fine.  I accept that.  But why take a chance with a knuckleballer when Workman was available? 

I was so mad during that first inning I almost started a thread on Farrell, basically saying this was/is a good way to lose the confidence of his players.  But then, just as quickly, Farrell brought Workman in to pitch the 2d inning and left Lavarnway in the game.  Shortly after that, Ellsbury got the 2 run dinger and eventually the team showed they had the manager's back by driving in 15 runs.  Even Lavarnway had a shot at redemption with that two run double that tied the game and put the Sox up by 1. 

To repeat my basic point.  With Workman the Sox already have six starters.  Why was it necessary to try out a seventh, especially a knuckleballer? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the parade on no name useless pitchers to start every fifth game is tiresome...then again if Clay would stop menstruating maybe he could take to the mound and end this nonsense

As always - 100% correct!

There are three problems with your complaint.

1. If you look -- most of the starts, except a couple by Webster, that were taken by Bucholz's replacements, have actually been pretty good. 

2. Haven't you been one of the posters wanting the kids to come up and play this season?

3. Last night doesn't even fit the bill of your complaint. If Farrell didn't start Wright, the rotation wouldn't have a no-name in the fifth spot now that the Sox have Peavy to go with Lester, Lackey, Doubrant and Dempster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Lavarnway had no passed ball after Wright left. Wright didn't throw any First pitch strikes and only threw 18 strikes out of 38 pitches. Any smart team shouldn't swing the bats, wait it out let him walk you. At least Farrell took him out fast. His ball must have been dancing big time in the Dome.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Good OP.  I am almost slavish in my support of Farrell, who by and large for me can do no wrong. 

But I just don't understand starting Wright when Workman was available.  moonslav says the biggest fault was with Lavarnway.  Fine.  I accept that.  But why take a chance with a knuckleballer when Workman was available? 

I was so mad during that first inning I almost started a thread on Farrell, basically saying this was/is a good way to lose the confidence of his players.  But then, just as quickly, Farrell brought Workman in to pitch the 2d inning and left Lavarnway in the game.  Shortly after that, Ellsbury got the 2 run dinger and eventually the team showed they had the manager's back by driving in 15 runs.  Even Lavarnway had a shot at redemption with that two run double that tied the game and put the Sox up by 1. 

To repeat my basic point.  With Workman the Sox already have six starters.  Why was it necessary to try out a seventh, especially a knuckleballer? 

yes, this was in fact exactly my point.

I am glad someone can agree with this. I can't be the only one who questions bonehead moves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I agree with you too, also by doing what he did showed no respect to Houston. Can bring in anybody and think its a gimme. If I was Houston Manager tonight I'd play it like 7th game of WS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I agree with you too, also by doing what he did showed no respect to Houston. Can bring in anybody and think its a gimme. If I was Houston Manager tonight I'd play it like 7th game of WS.

Taking the weaker teams lightly is something the Red Sox cannot afford to do.

This team needs to dominate the have-nots. There are a bunch of games left vs. Baltimore....which I believe will be the team's undoing, if they don't take them 100% seriously. Baltimore are no longer have-nots, they are the real deal...with a good manager.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Max,

workman wouldnt have even been here if Navas wife didnt go into labor. Farrell had planned this BEFORE that happened. Wright had just thrown a CG shutout and also looked great in his last 2 appearances for Boston. Wright may be 28, but he just started throwing the KBall a couple years ago full time. Workman was off his starting routine and was being used in the pen in AAA, while wright was on his regular routine. It made sense. Wake said that the ball will dance more inside, and with the roof closed last night it was all over the place. Im sure wright has little experience throwing it in a dome. Lav didnt look good last night as he was stabbing at balls and trying to backhand them instead of sliding his whole body in front of the ball...You have to let the KBall come to your glove and make last second adjustments. I know, easier said than done so Im not so upest with Lav.

With Houstons day 1 and day 3 starter just shutting down their opponents in their prior starts and last nights pitcher having close to a 6ERA and not as good, it was the right day to use Wright.

With the situation, it was the correct move IMHO. It just didnt work out. If Navs wife doesnt go into labor, this wouldnt even be a discussion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

By the way Lavarnway caught Wright 8.2 innings this year before last night with no Passed Balls. In both games, with Seattle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

southpaw777,

I agree, now.  I saw your explanation on the other thread and bought it and said so. 

Cafardo did point out that one reason for starting Wright last night was the indoor stadium would make his knuckler even more effective just as it had for Wakefield.  But it turned out the knuckler was too effective, which made it uncatchable by a guy, Lavarnway, who had caught Wright 8 times before and not had a problem.  Both Wright and Lavarnway said after the game the knuckler was moving a lot, more than ever before. 

I do see your point about letting Workman get into a relief routine once that decision was made.  Last night he did what was intended--long relief.   

Sections
Shortcuts