30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages...

I loved Barry Bonds.  One of the few non-Sox players I wished we had had.

Not Bobby but Barry, his dad.

Back in the time frame when Yaz was the only AL batter with a .300 BA (.301, '71) there was this guy in SF hitting 30 HRs a year, roughly - and stealing 30 bases a year.  (He struck out a lot too).  He was hitting .280s to .300s in BA - not bad for then, most of the time.

I was enraptured w\by the idea of him becoming a Red Sox.

And one year he DID ....

I traded that season's Strat-O-Matic card to get him on the team.  ;)

Jacoby Ellsbury - as most of us realize - has just finished a season for the ages.

And we are most fortunate to have enjoyed it, in spite of the last month, team wise.

I applaud him for not just coming back, but listening to Dave Madigan as his hitting coach.  If everyone listened as well as Jacoby did, an outstanding team could become untouchable.  (Not unbeatable, not saying 162-0 stuff).

Here's to a guy whose character was assailed, whose desire was questioned, whose toughness was trampled on, whose ability was attacked ...

And all he did was make himself one of the new "untouchable" players in the majors.

That explosive peek we had at him in the playoffs in 2007 is no longer a mythical thing.  Instead,  it is now almost the measure of expectation!

A rare. rare thing, this kid! 

I know some could pick at this part or that (Not 70 SBs, etc., etc.) but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts here.  And the parts are OUTSTANDING!

Grab your bag of buttered popcorn and sit back and enjoy this show, while we can!

Hopefully, we keep him(Meaning sign him, extend him, whatever).  But if not,  watch and enjoy. 

And if you can't enjoy this, there really is nothing you can enjoy.

Not a sunrise or sunset, a mountain panorama, an ocean or seaside vista, the quiet, still beauty of fog, the wild artistry of a wooded glen, the still small voice of the Divine ...

Barry Bonds was a treat.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a piece de reistance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages...

Yeah, Bobby Bonds' dad Barry was great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages...:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, Bobby Bond's dad Barry was great.
    Posted by LS350[/QUOTE]

:o)  Friend I don't know if you're being straight or goofing around, but Barry was a terrific player.  One has to remember this was before they juiced up the ball again and lowered the pitching mound, maybe again, so hitting could get a break from the strength of the pitching in the day.  Also, he played "pre-steroids" ... not saying players then didn't use, but those days are looked upon with a nostalgic time when supposedly none or few did use.

And I'm limiting my comments to the baseball arena, because I know little of anything else about him.

Jake's pretty good too ...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages... : :o)  Friend I don't know if you're being straight or goofing around, but Barry was a terrific player.  One has to remember this was before they juiced up the ball again and lowered the pitching mound, maybe again, so hitting could get a break from the strength of the pitching in the day.  Also, he played "pre-steroids" ... not saying players then didn't use, but those days are looked upon with a nostalgic time when supposedly none or few did use.       And I'm limiting my comments to the baseball arena, because I know little of anything else about him.       Jake's pretty good too ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
    Barry Bonds broke the home run record, but is believed to have used steroids. Bobby Bonds is his father and a fine player in his own right. You are getting them mixed up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]Without question, Ells is my favorite MLB player. Just a joy to watch. So proud of my fellow Oregonian for not just proving his many, many detractors wrong, but utterly blowing them up with last year's performance. Got something to say, tough guy Youk??
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

This forum only has one Ellsbury basher and we all know that it is Softlaw. Can you name the others?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

There should be more guys that show the support and appreciation of Ellsbury as we both do.  Including the writers.

Even before the injury year, he obviously didn't have the power, but he was a joy to watch.  Other than the one year, he also played almost every game having about 700 plate appearances.  Now with the power on top of that and great work ethic........ not sure if there is a player in the league that I would rather have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

ELLS DESERVES MVP AWARD.

FIRST 30/30 IN TEAM HISTORY, 105 RBI FOR LEADOFF HITTER, .321 BATTING AVG., LEADS TEAM IN HRS WITH 32, GOLD GLOVER, SILVER SLUGGER, ETC....

DOESN'T HE DESERVE ONE THIS YEAR?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Without question, Ells is my favorite MLB player. Just a joy to watch. So proud of my fellow Oregonian for not just proving his many, many detractors wrong, but utterly blowing them up with last year's performance.

Got something to say, tough guy Youk??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages... : :o)  Friend I don't know if you're being straight or goofing around, but Barry was a terrific player.  One has to remember this was before they juiced up the ball again and lowered the pitching mound, maybe again, so hitting could get a break from the strength of the pitching in the day.  Also, he played "pre-steroids" ... not saying players then didn't use, but those days are looked upon with a nostalgic time when supposedly none or few did use.       And I'm limiting my comments to the baseball arena, because I know little of anything else about him.       Jake's pretty good too ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Man, you did not get it, even with a little help. I will spell it out for you. Bobby was the dad, Barry the son! Bobby was the real 30/30 guy, Barry the fraud. Kind of takes away from your credibility when you can't get that straight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

What a screwed up thread ... sorry I starting reading it ....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

And all he did was make himself one of the new "untouchable" players in the majors.

That explosive peek we had at him in the playoffs in 2007 is no longer a mythical thing. Instead, it is now almost the measure of expectation!

A rare. rare thing, this kid!

Jose Conseco, comes to mind.

Crawford is on the books to stay. Trade Ellsbury career year, in front of Pedroia and AGon, for Kemp. Extend Kemp, long term. If the Dodgers want one or two other blocked prospects, add that in. Sit back and enjoy. If you can't enjoy that, my dictator's enjoyment meter will be forced upon you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages... : This forum only has one Ellsbury basher and we all know that it is Softlaw. Can you name the others?
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]
    Not specifically, however, last year when he was out with the broken ribs there were several on this forum who clearly were siding with #@$%& Youk. Should stay with the club, wimpy...should be playing everyday with 5 broken ribs, prima donna, etc., etc., etc. You do remember, right? If not, I certainly do. Youk.....what an idiot. I can't wait for him to go away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

So Ellsbury spends six months re-habbing a rib injury, and he's a hero because he finishes with an OPS that Youk has topped 3 of the last 4 years.  Youk plays well above league average despite hip bursitis and a sports hernia, and everybody is ready to drive him out town.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]So Ellsbury spends six months re-habbing a rib injury, and he's a hero because he finishes with an OPS that Youk has topped 3 of the last 4 years.  Youk plays well above league average despite hip bursitis and a sports hernia, and everybody is ready to drive him out town.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Slomag, totally with you on the Youk tip.  Completely ridiculous that so many are tripping over themselves to push this guy out the door.  However, that is no reason to down play the stellar year Ellsbury had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Slomaggot, You bashed Ellsbury last year like many other and now are too stupid or stubborn to give credit where its due. In reality a large percentage of this forum piled on him. Too bad. What we have and should keep is one of top 5 players in baseball. The only other guy besides myself that I truly remember predicting Ellsbury's greatness was a guy named Ramekap or something similar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages... : Slomag, totally with you on the Youk tip.  Completely ridiculous that so many are tripping over themselves to push this guy out the door.  However, that is no reason to down play the stellar year Ellsbury had.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury has really become a special player this year, and is truly exciting to watch on the field.  But the contrast is striking - Youk signed a team-friendly contract, will play through anything, and never complains about what is asked of him - we didn't learn he preferred to play third until he moved there.  With Ellsbury, every time something doesn't go his way, we hear about it in the media, or through his agent.  It bothers me that everybody is congratulating themselves for standing behind Ellsbury while throwing people like Youk or Cameron, Drew & Hermida (all of whom played hurt in 2010) under the bus.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 30/30's are so rare, Add Comeback and GG and it's a season for the ages... : Ellsbury has really become a special player this year, and is truly exciting to watch on the field.  But the contrast is striking - Youk signed a team-friendly contract, will play through anything, and never complains about what is asked of him - we didn't learn he preferred to play third until he moved there.  With Ellsbury, every time something doesn't go his way, we hear about it in the media, or through his agent.  It bothers me that everybody is congratulating themselves for standing behind Ellsbury while throwing people like Youk or Cameron, Drew & Hermida (all of whom played hurt in 2010) under the bus.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I hear that.  But, in the same way, I am not sure that Ellsbury is some kind of prima donna.  All we have to judge by is his rib situation, which was a bad situation all the way around.  But, I dont know about this always hearing about it from him or his agent.  He was put on the defensive big-time in 2010.  I can't make any real statement about his not playing hurt, or his prima donna need to point to his injuries or anything.  All we have is one extreme circumstance.  But I am totally with you on throwing people under the bus for shutting up and doing what they are supposed to do: play ball and not use injuries as an excuse.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Slomaggot, You bashed Ellsbury last year like many other and now are too stupid or stubborn to give credit where its due. In reality a large percentage of this forum piled on him. Too bad. What we have and should keep is one of top 5 players in baseball. The only other guy besides myself that I truly remember predicting Ellsbury's greatness was a guy named Ramekap or something similar.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

My criticism of Ellsbury is that I believe he won't take the field unless he's 100% healthy, because he is not willing to sacrifice personal stats for the good of the team.  He's very talented and a lot of fun to watch, but that perception hasn't changed - if anything it was re-inforced by the ESPN magazine article through which Boras claims there will be no home-town discount.  Was that really necessary when things were going so well for the team, to bring the focus back to the individual?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]So Ellsbury spends six months re-habbing a rib injury, and he's a hero because he finishes with an OPS that Youk has topped 3 of the last 4 years.  Youk plays well above league average despite hip bursitis and a sports hernia, and everybody is ready to drive him out town.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    During those three years, Youkilis was an established ML player while Ellsbury was still establishing himself. One of the years Ellsbury played only a handful of games. 
    "A" rib injury.  Try plural. Try broken. Better still, have someone break your ribs and then try playing. 
    Youkilis doesn't come close to playing "well above league average.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

How do you know he wont take the field unless he is 100%? All most all players play through some sort of pain. The way he dives and slides all over the place you know he has played less than 100%. I have heard too many interviews with him to believe he is anything but grounded. Its a shame the way he was treated by fans and media and I wouldnt blame him a bit if he bolted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

Also, Barry Bonds has a brother named Bobby Bonds, who I saw play in single A ball.  He was much thiner than either Bobby (dad) or Barry (brother).  Played the outfield but just did not have the talent.  I don't know if he ever made it to AA.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]How do you know he wont take the field unless he is 100%? All most all players play through some sort of pain. The way he dives and slides all over the place you know he has played less than 100%. I have heard too many interviews with him to believe he is anything but grounded. Its a shame the way he was treated by fans and media and I wouldnt blame him a bit if he bolted.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

I don't - none of us really know much about any of the players, but we form opinions based on what we see, hear and read.  But here's the thing Coach - if Ellsbury hits .200 or .300, my opinion doesn't change.  How many people are giving John Lackey the benefit of the doubt right now.  If he comes back from TJ surgery to win 20 games, are you going to demand everybody's apologies, even if he's still throwing up his hands in disgust every time an infielder boots a ground ball?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There have been 58 seasons in which a player has reached the 30-30 club.

Two players have done it 5 times  (Bobby Bonds, Barry Bonds)
    One other player has done it for times (Alfonso Soriano)
    One other player has done it 3 times (Howard Johnson)
    Several other players have had 30-30 two times.  Only 3 of them are active (Vlad guerrero, Bobby Abreu, Ian Kinsler).  Of those 3, only Kinlser is a reasonable shot at another 30-30 season.

So if you think about it - Ellsbury is extremely unlikely to ever hit 30-30 again.  Not many do. Other active players with 1 30-30 season in their careers include Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun, David Wright, Grady Sizemore, Hanley Ramirez, Brandon Phillips, Jimmy Rollins, and Carlos Beltran.  None of them were ever able to do it again.  (Kemp and Braun only made their first 30-30 in 2011, so they have not had a chance to  duplicate it.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was in Milwaukee when Tommy Harper had a 30-30 season (1970, I believe). He never had more than 18 HRs any other season, but had 73 SBs one year and led the league for the Sox with 54 in 1973.