40 Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

40 Games

You had your 40 so what do you think  Also, nice double clutch by Size so he had no chance

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: 40 Games

In response to billge's comment:

You had your 40 so what do you think  Also, nice double clutch by Size so he had no chance

I think that's a cheap shot on Sizemore.  As for the first 40 games, overall I'm pretty happy.  The hitting looks like it is coming around.  The rotation is the best in the AL East.  And the defense is decent.  Miller needs to stop throwing almost all fast balls. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

would have been a closer play perhaps  Miller control issues with other pitches maybe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

He had no chance on that anyway.  With two outs the runner is going on contact.  Plus, the ball wasn't hit that hard.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I think that's a cheap shot on Sizemore.  As for the first 40 games, overall I'm pretty happy.  The hitting looks like it is coming around.  The rotation is the best in the AL East.  And the defense is decent.  Miller needs to stop throwing almost all fast balls. 

I am happy because Sox won WS last year and we are basking in that, but I am not happy with this season.  They just lost 2/3 to a bad Twins team when they had a chance to get some momentum going.  WM and JBJ are not hitting their weight, the catchers are mediocre at best and Buchholz is not himself and may never be.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It is time that enough game have been played to offer initial impressions of this team. Before this it was kind of meaningless to conclude anything. Some posters thought that we were toast after 10-15 games. Now we have played a quarter of the season.

Right now we are a .500 club at 20-20. If no significant roster moves are made, thats how I think we will finish the year, or close to it +/- 1-3 games or so. We are a mediocre .500 team with the current personnel. There are serious deficiencies at 3B, CF, and in our #4 and 5 SP as well as catcher to a lesser extent. Fortunately, the other ALE teams right now also look mediocre, so even if we finish with 84 wins we might be in the race for a while. I am not expecting much from this team unless some roster improvements are made, starting with getting rid of Wil Middlebrooks.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Why is Mujica still on the roster? And how many more lousy appearances does Miller get?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Why is Mujica still on the roster? And how many more lousy appearances does Miller get?

Miller has a 2.95 ERA and 0.93 WHIP...I'm guessing he will get a few more appearances.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I am happy because Sox won WS last year and we are basking in that, but I am not happy with this season.  They just lost 2/3 to a bad Twins team when they had a chance to get some momentum going.  WM and JBJ are not hitting their weight, the catchers are mediocre at best and Buchholz is not himself and may never be.  

how can the Twins are a very bad team???  they are 19-20 so far this year!!   If Boston get swept by Houston, that is more embarrassing.  Houston is right now alone a bad team in AL while all the rest of them, they are doing pretty well at this time of the year!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

13 of the next 16 are with the Tigers, Braves and Rays. That should provide a test of just how good we are. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  19s
    Victorino (left knee) going for an MRI this afternoon. Not available tonight. Hurt on a slide into 3B in Texas. #redsox

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe  ·  19s
    Victorino (left knee) going for an MRI this afternoon. Not available tonight. Hurt on a slide into 3B in Texas. #redsox

Oh dear.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Too many half outfielders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

At least JBJ can show up to play ( defense) every day. He is apparently the only one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

At least JBJ can show up to play ( defense) every day. He is apparently the only one.

Who else? When Sizemore doesn't play, it's because he's not put in the lineup, not because of injury

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    #redsox closer to 1st after 40 games than at same junction last year. But playing like a team seeking a spark. Been at sleepy .500 too long

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are 14th in runs scored, but that is just 8 runs from 8th place.

We are tied for 3rd in OBP, but 16th in SLG (10th in OPS).

We are 20th in offensive player WAR (which includes defense).

We are 19th in UZR/150.

We are #1 in pitching WAR (3rd for SP'ers & 1st for RP'ers).

1st in DH WAR

11th in 1B WAR

10th in 2B WAR

14th in SS WAR

22nd in catcher WAR

22nd in LF WAR

24th in RF WAR

28th in 3B WAR

29th in CF WAR

Sox4ever

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We are 14th in runs scored, but that is just 8 runs from 8th place.

We are tied for 3rd in OBP, but 16th in SLG (10th in OPS).

We are 20th in offensive player WAR (which includes defense).

We are 19th in UZR/150.

We are #1 in pitching WAR (3rd for SP'ers & 1st for RP'ers).

1st in DH WAR

11th in 1B WAR

10th in 2B WAR

14th in SS WAR

22nd in catcher WAR

22nd in LF WAR

24th in RF WAR

28th in 3B WAR

29th in CF WAR

Sox4ever

It's a good way to look at things, but like even the best metrics, a little flawed, and this is one of the better ones. I would expect your response to be of course

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, as Parcells said, you're what your record says you are.

Of course if we all subscribed to that philosophy, there'd be much less to talk about here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon do u have an opinion or only past/copy of stats? [object HTMLDivElement]

I didn't cut and paste.

I do have opinions. I give them often.

It's only 40 games. We are still very close to a playoff slot without even having one hot streak yet.

Once we make the playoffs, having the best pitching staff on paper should give us a leg up on most other teams.

I'm a little concerned but still have confidence.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I didn't cut and paste.

It's only 40 games. We are still very close to a playoff slot without even having one hot streak yet.

Once we make the playoffs, having the best pitching staff on paper should give us a leg up on most other teams.

[object HTMLDivElement]. We are very fortunate to be very close to a playoff spot. I still have confidence also. But we have not looked like a championship team. I was not happy with the off season. I have yet to see anything to change my opinion. I don't see where we have a better pitching staff than Detroit, if not others. Even if we do, the offense has to improve a whole lot. Maybe it will. We can only hope. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Play Size every day, No more daysoff If he is what we hoped thats great, if not we find out. If he is  what we hoped , he is better than Gomes or Carp, cause for one thing he is a better fielder, though not what he once was.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I didn't cut and paste.

[object HTMLDivElement]. We are very fortunate to be very close to a playoff spot. I still have confidence also. But we have not looked like a championship team. I was not happy with the off season. I have yet to see anything to change my opinion. I don't see where we have a better pitching staff than Detroit, if not others. Even if we do, the offense has to improve a whole lot. Maybe it will. We can only hope. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd have liked to have seen one major pick-up this past winter, and only 2 slots going to youngsters not 3, but I wanted us to stay under the luxury limit. I liked the Mujica signing a lot, and there is still time for him to contribute. I liked the minor moves of Badenhop and Capuano, but was not high on Herrera. I wanted a better fielder at SS than him.  I preferred Salty over AJ P, but it was obvious he was never coming back after the WS benching, so considering the circumstances, I didn't see any better option for the money.

I'd have liked to have seen us get Abreu rather than Napoli, but I understand that Napoli was more of a known quantity. I like Beltran and Choo, but thought they we too expensive for an upgrade over the Nava/Gomes platoon- which I seemingly over-projected this year... so far.

In short, I had serious concerns about handing 3 positions to youngsters all at once. One bright spot is that we still have $9-10M to spend, and if we wait until the trade deadline, we will only be paying about one third of a players contract, so in theory, we can pick up one or two players who are currently signed for about $30M total for 2014. That can amount to 2 solid salary dump type players. With a tight league right now, and nobody but maybe the As and Tigers looking nearly solid top to bottom, 2 players might be all it takes to put us on equal footing without having to sacrifice many of our top prospects.

I doubt we go for a guy like Stanton, but it could happen, especially if we can extend him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Play Size every day, No more daysoff If he is what we hoped thats great, if not we find out. If he is  what we hoped , he is better than Gomes or Carp, cause for one thing he is a better fielder, though not what he once was.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Gomes has done OK at the plate, but I'd like to put Grady to the test as well, and see what he's got playing close to full time- mostly in LF, but also a few times in CF against tough pitchers for JBJ.

Sections
Shortcuts