40 Man roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: 40 Man roster

In Response to Re: 40 Man roster:
    [QUOTE]lots of the sox guys with no options left will either be traded during spring training if they are doing well and outrighted if they are not. dropping a guy now must be done before they can add ross if there is no trade.  so, the guy they see most likely not to be able to contribute will be the guy who gets waived. a trade of some of these guys without any more options is also not going to bring anything at this time of the year or they would have already been traded.  seems like there are many pitchers in this group and i would wait until spring training to move any of them. the sox may need mcdonald later, but i doubt that there are many teams that are going to claim him right now (and take up a space on their 40 man roster) when there will be a dozen guys like him during (and after) spring training.  mcdonalsd will accept a minor league invitation to the red sox camp if not claimed.  if he is claimed there will be other guys very similar to him looking for work if none of the sox current minor league outfielders do not shine during spring training.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if anyone wants DMac, but I think I want him here until CC comes back. I'm not sure I'd risk cutting him now. I'd rather trade 2 guys for one, or one guy for a low to midlevel prospect that does not need to be put on the 40 man roster than to just DFA someone good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : They were added to protect them from the rule 5 draft after breakout 2010 seasons.  Their 2011 seasons disappointed, but still both have potential to contribute in a major way if they can regain their form.  2012 will be a pivotal year for both. Options have nothing to do with them.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Britton has already had TJ surgery and he's what, 21?
    Certainly they will have to move somebody out if they get Oswalt or Jackson.
    I don't think it's an issue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : Britton has already had TJ surgery and he's what, 21? Certainly they will have to move somebody out if they get Oswalt or Jackson. I don't think it's an issue.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Britton has a lot of potential, and would probably be snatched up if he was DFA'd. It's not always about protecting the guy who can help us earliest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Atchison was DFA'd. Just announced and up on Extra Bases.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As ADG said it was the hatchet for Atchitson...DFA'd. I think he will sign elsewhere unless he is staying with the Sox on a handshake deal,he can be claimed so the teams to watch are probably Theo's or Farrell's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Our problem solved:

Red Sox Designate Scott Atchison For Assignment

The Red Sox designated right-hander Scott Atchison for assignment, the team announced. The move creates roster space for outfielder Cody Ross, whose contract became official today.

Atchison, 35, posted a 3.26 ERA with 5.0 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 in 30 1/3 innings for the Red Sox in 2011. He spent post of the season at Triple-A, where he pitched 61 1/3 more innings with a 2.64 ERA, 10.6 K/9 and 1.3 BB/9. He is not yet arbitration eligible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Ok, who's next if Jackson or Oswalt sign?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, who's next if Jackson or Oswalt sign?
    Posted by tripleb2066[/QUOTE]

I'd expect the Sox to pressure Selig to decide on comp.  If we could just offload Jenks to the Cubs that'd help with the roster crunch and the financial crunch.  Even if we picked up $1-2M it would be a big help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : I'd expect the Sox to pressure Selig to decide on comp.  If we could just offload Jenks to the Cubs that'd help with the roster crunch and the financial crunch.  Even if we picked up $1-2M it would be a big help.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I've mentioned this idea several times. It really would solve a lot of issues, but if they'd done it earlier, we could have held onto Atchison a little longer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : I've mentioned this idea several times. It really would solve a lot of issues, but if they'd done it earlier, we could have held onto Atchison a little longer.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it should have been dealt with back in November.  Bud needs to hurry up and make a ruling on this.  It's gone on long enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 40 Man roster : Honestly, it should have been dealt with back in November.  Bud needs to hurry up and make a ruling on this.  It's gone on long enough.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt the comp will be Jenks, and I'm not all hung up what it might be or when the comp might be settled. I don't think the comp will be substantial.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

DFA'ing from the 40 is not a huge risk this time of the year unless someone sees a name they like and they DFA someone on the bubble in their org.
    Agreed, if Britton or Iggy or ???Tejada get cut they will be picked up but if Anderson or DMac are terminated they will most likely clear. The Sox have plenty of wiggle room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]DFA'ing from the 40 is not a huge risk this time of the year unless someone sees a name they like and they DFA someone on the bubble in their org. Agreed, if Britton or Iggy or ???Tejada get cut they will be picked up but if Anderson or DMac are terminated they will most likely clear. The Sox have plenty of wiggle room.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I doubt Anderson would clear.  A's were looking to trade for him last summer.  DMac could probably slip through though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

JB have you looked at the Oakland 40  man roster--- they have 4 1 B's listed; it's amazing---but I agree he might be picked up, which would be good for Lars and it would open a spot in Pawtucket.

I remember the trade for Rich Harden, as we look back, it might have been a move that could have won the Wild Card in 2011.

Lars is from Oakland and I'm wondering if Trader Beane was looking to sell some tickets to family and friends in the last two months of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I actually did not check their 40 man roster, rather I based it on their previous action.

Harden very well may have lead to a wild card berth last year.  Chalk another one up to the "fantastic" medical staff.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember the trade for Rich Harden, as we look back, it might have been a move that could have won the Wild Card in 2011.

You mean the pitcher who went 2-3 since August 1st with a 5.57 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]You mean the pitcher who went 2-3 since August 1st with a 5.57 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The fact of the matter is that any pitcher other than Bedard could have possibly given us the wild card depending on how their performances played out.  Even Harden with his 5.57 ERA  would have been facing different teams with a different lineup and defense supporting him, granted in more of a hitters park.  Point is, depending on the distribution of the runs, could have resulted in an extra win.  We can't know which move would have worked out, all we know is that the Bedard deal didn't get it done, and the reason that the Sox didn't pull the trigger on Harden was his medicals.  He finished the year without incident.  The medical staff got it wrong yet again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I can agree that Harden over a useless Bedaard might have meant eking out another win or two and getting into the post-season.

And while I know anything can happen in October, I just have a hard time thinking that lifeless September squad was going to do anything beyond get eliminated quickly...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The fact of the matter is that any pitcher other than Bedard could have possibly given us the wild card depending on how their performances played out.  Even Harden with his 5.57 ERA  would have been facing different teams with a different lineup and defense supporting him, granted in more of a hitters park.  Point is, depending on the distribution of the runs, could have resulted in an extra win.  We can't know which move would have worked out, all we know is that the Bedard deal didn't get it done, and the reason that the Sox didn't pull the trigger on Harden was his medicals.  He finished the year without incident.  The medical staff got it wrong yet again.

At the time of the Bedard deal, I mentioned we should have gotten someone better than Bedard and Harden, or we should have gotten both Bedard and Harden or 2 of the like.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I can agree that Harden over a useless Bedaard might have meant eking out another win or two and getting into the post-season. And while I know anything can happen in October, I just have a hard time thinking that lifeless September squad was going to do anything beyond get eliminated quickly...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

One never knows. Momentum is a touchy thing. We could only have won if Beckett and Lester turned it around on a dime.

Sections
Shortcuts